You are here

Crying wolf (or child abuse in this case) to get attention

CSMof3's picture

I have a seven year old step son who lives with us, along with his twin sister and a 10 year old brother. His BM is pregnant... again. The last time she was pregnant he was three years old. Even though he was fully potty trained he reverted to soiling his pants. We took him to the pediatrician and he told us that it isn't uncommon for a youngest child to revert to more baby-like behaviors when a new baby comes to get newly diverted attention from the parent (mom).
NOW he is seeking attention by claiming child abuse. He accused me a couple months ago and he accused our baby sitter yesterday. He is seven and does not understand how serious these accusations can be. And BM feeds into it. I know he is just doing this to get attention. He cried last week saying that the baby gets all the attention from BM and he wants "all the attention."
I don't know what to do other than avoid him as much as possible. DH and I have spoken to him about how serious it is and what the definition of child abuse actually is. How do I protect myself from this??

Acratopotes's picture

How do you protect yourself...

1. he can never be alone with you ever again, if DH is not there he's not there...you do nothing for him
2. Install nanny cams all over the house to have proof he's talking crap
3. Tell DH until SS have not had serious therapy you do not want him in the house

CSMof3's picture

He's 7 and he lives with us so I can't really say I don't want him in the house. But yes, I'm thinking to get him into therapy. It covers our butts and it seems like he needs it.

Acratopotes's picture

If DH has custody he already should've gotten the kid into therapy, stop thinking about it and do it....

could be that some one at school molested him, a friend, a teacher, a genator, could be that BM's boyfriend molested him....
he's 7 and I do not think 7 year olds can make up things about being molested, yes they might name the wrong person, the person they feel the safest with actually, thus I would seriously get this kid into therapy, and if need be, no contact with BM till it's sorted, or at least supervise visits

CSMof3's picture

Molested??
No the SS7 said I hurt him. And then said our baby sitter hurt him. Nothing at BM's house.

Acratopotes's picture

yes Molested..... it could be a cry for help Hon.....

He accused you and a baby? Cause it's not true, but I still see it as a cry for help, he does not know the term molesting, some one hurt him...
you can never be to careful in this life, .....

beebeel's picture

After my SD cried false abuse allegations against me, I protected myself by never being alone with her again.

Totheend12345's picture

Hes not happy, its hard. I agree with not being alone with him as much as possible.

We had the same problem with SD9, when we had the talk with her she was happy becasue it gives her power.

I agree counseling would help, and maybe let him know he is still loved just as much and you all care.

Its hard, he most likey is mad about the new baby and just doesn't know how to deal with it. G

Harry's picture

You can not be alone with him !! You must put him in some type of group care. No adult should be alone with him
Child abuse is nothing to play with, it could rune your life, you don’t want to be investigated, by the police that stays with you.
Your SO has to make arrangements for his care some other place.
Or you have to leave,, either on your own or when the police handcuff you and take you away

kpaige's picture

Therapy is a must in this case!! Not only to cover yourself but also that this poor child that is regressing and is having very hard time adjusting to the new baby on the way. You and husband need to united in the seriousness of this with the child. Do not be alone with him, explain to him how serious this case could get and how this could really hurt not only you, but the child and your husband. You need to think of your safety first above everything else. On the other hand you and your husband need to take the seriousness of him soiling himself and knowing at 7 that he has been abused. Those are signs of abuse maybe not by you or the babysitter but that also needs to be investigated on your both your parts.

Rags's picture

Web cams!!! Everywhere! (except the toilet of course) That way he can play these games all he wants and you can prove he is a manipulative little POS and is full of shit. And get him some professional help.

Once he ages past this stage.... with proven prevarication and manipulation it isn't a bad idea to keep the cameras rolling when he is in the home. Just to cover your own butts.