You are here

Confused and at a loss

LoveXinfinity71's picture

I’m apologizing in advance for this lengthy post, but I’m at my wits end and wondering how much longer I can go on like this.  Almost 4 months ago I moved from the Northeast to the South to live with my boyfriend of 3.5 years.  The move had been a year in the making because I was waiting to get a job first.  In a matter of 3 weeks I had 2 phone interviews for a job and a week to be packed and relocated- so though the move had been planned over the last year, everything happened very quickly once a job offer was made.  My boyfriend got divorced in 2014 and in his divorce it was 50/50 custody but he chose to take care of the 2 minor children 100% because their mother was a deadbeat claiming she couldn’t work due to debilitating migraines.  The only minor child left is his 17 year old daughter and a year ago she began staying with her father full- time because for whatever reason the ex-wife could not seem to get the daughter to work or school.  

When I moved in back in October 2018, my goal first & foremost was to be a role model to his daughter- someone she could learn from and look up to.   I never moved in with the intent of being her mother or replacing her mother because she has a mother.  Her mother is a deadbeat so my boyfriend is the mother & father.  When she chooses to be anything to her daughter, she treats her like a best friend.  

One of the first things I noticed when I moved in was his daughter was untidy and not just untidy but pig sty like.   She also doesn’t take care of anything and is very destructive.  So here I am living in a house where everything is spotless except her room and the main bathroom.  I made the decision since I was “new” to living there that I would turn a blind eye.  Not even a month into moving there my boyfriend accidentally found out his daughter was pregnant and had a miscarriage the week prior.  The ex-wife knew, but she partnered with the daughter to keep it from her father.  When he took away all privileges, she could not understand why he was mad.  My boyfriend does not do social media, but we found out through her Facebook page that she’s baby crazy and determined to get pregnant.  Naturally he was angry because he had told the mom years ago to get her on birth control, but she could not be bothered.  

A week before Xmas she finished school early and since that time all she does while we are at work is sleep all day, eat and post on Facebook.  She won’t get a job and she had no intention of going to college.  In the month she’s been done with school I get increasingly displeased at the situation I see going on because I’ve told my boyfriend many times that I’m not supporting her being a deadbeat.  The way I view things is any bills I pay that contribute to her being to use as a luxury, I’m supporting her being a deadbeat.  Things really came to a head last week when I got home from work and though she was home all day, the mail was still in the mailbox, the garbage can from garbage pickup was still at the end of the driveway and packages that were delivered were still on the front step.  When my boyfriend got home I told him the situation was getting out of hand and the only thing he said to her was “you’re going to have to start doing more around here”.  A couple of days later 2 packages were going to be delivered and my boyfriend told me to let him know when I got the delivery notification - I guess he was going to call her and let her know to retrieve them when they were delivered.  It annoyed me because on top of everything else simple things she should know to do he has to tell her everyday- clean the dishes you left in the sink, pick up all the crap you have on the bathroom floor (yes there’s so much crap on the floor in the bathroom you must step over stuff to maneuver yourself around). 

Before I moved I told my boyfriend I would be getting a dog.  Initially he was against it because he had brought his kids dogs but he ended up taking care of them.  Last year his daughter asked to get a dog, but he said no and told her she’s about to turn 18 and embark on this new journey into adulthood instead of telling her she couldn’t because she’s not going to take care of the dog.  Of course she paired up with the mother and got the dog anyway but my boyfriend would not allow her to bring the dog to his house so the dog stayed with her mother.  2 months ago the mother moved out of her apartment and moved with her older daughter (my boyfriend is not her father)and asked my boyfriend to keep the dog for a couple of months.  He refused and his daughter got mad.  Fast forward to now I’m looking to buy my dog now but my boyfriend keeps making excuses or ignoring me.  I know this is because he doesn’t want his daughter to feel some kind of way about her not being able to have a dog at the houses but I can.  

Now it’s gotten to the point where his daughter will walk past me in the house and not speak, but she’s smart enough to do it when he’s not around.  She will be 18 in 2 months but has the maturity of a 12 year old.  Even before I had moved my boyfriend was having problems with her and told me once she turns 18 he’s sending her to live with her mother and let her deal with her.  Then other times he speaks as if he’s going to let his daughter stay there as long as she pleases.  I understand it’s his child but if he plans to let her stay past 18 I don’t understand why she hadn’t been told to get a job or go to school and do something with her life.  I’ve gotten to the point where if things don’t improve I’m moving out.  HELP!!!

Survivingstephell's picture

Any way you can live on your own?  He isn't ready for a relationship with you.  Until he gets his SD launched and that sounds like a wish, he will be distracted with her drama.  That would leave you where?? 

That's along way to move.  I hope the job was worth it and you like the area enough to stay apart from BF.   

I'd move out and get the dog,  More loyality in a dog than a man with an immature daughter.  

I told him yesterday that I’m tired of feeling like I live in their house.  My plan is to get an apartment until I can find a house to buy.  Thankfully I do like the area.  I decided I’m not letting this situation make me leave a new state I’m enjoying.  My move was for a number of reasons- one being I needed to move because where I live became expensive, I hated my job and had become stagnant.  

TX2step's picture

This carp doesn't get better. She will get pregnant again and expect to live with her daddee. Never educate herself and become a burden to society. You and her dad will fight over her issues while she sits back and enjoys the show. Burn rubber now, while you still have your sanity.

He made an appt for her to get on birth control.  The appt was 2 weeks ago but my bf had them test her for std’s so they scheduled the actual birth control implant procedure for next month.  I told him as soon as she turns 18 she’ll probably pair up with her mother and have it removed.  He claims if she gets pregnant she can’t live there.  I feel as if he’s trying to please us both, but at my expense..... I’m losing out.  To appease me he said he was painting the bathroom and cleaning it up.  I asked what color he intended to paint it and he said lavender.  I became very angry because I knew the paint color was what she wanted & suggested AND I help pay bills in the house, so why didn’t he ask me?  This also confirmed as much as he says when she turns 18 he’s sending her to her mother that this is a lie.  You’re painting the bathroom the color she wants for her.

Survivingstephell's picture

Actions speak louder than words.  Lavender?  its for her.  Tell him no and you are painting it the color of your choice.  It shouldn't matter if she isn't moving in.  The fight he puts up for the  her color choice will be telling.  He can't have both, he will have to chose, being SD's puppet or having a life on his own terms/relationship with you.  Its hard when the skids are little.  Shouldn't be so hard with an 18yo.  When kids launch, so do parents.  I've launch 3 so far and each time I claimed a bit more of life for myself.  

Can he even imagine his life of freedom with a lauched kid????   Does he even want that?  If not, then SD will be sacrificing her life to him too.  She won't know it though.  That's some f'd upness.  

What is wrong with independance and self sufficiency??????   Rhetorical I know.    

As tough as he can be with her I feel like he is as responsible as the ex-wife at how their daughter turned out.  I feel like he’s is nurturing her to be lazy and shiftless like his ex-wife.  Saturday morning he made breakfast for us.  He had to wake her up because as usual she was up all night on Facebook.  When she finally came in the kitchen she walked in and said nothing- no good morning  or hello.  In fact, she had a chip on her shoulders.  My bf said to her I’m going to help you out since you seem have to forgotten - good morning.  I said to my bf she’s acting like she slept with us last night (hence not saying good morning) and I got up and walked out of the kitchen.  Once she left the kitchen which was less than 2 minutes I went back in. My bf made a comment he was going to say something to me, but I rushed out of the kitchen.  I told him I was sick of his daughter’s BS- he quickly switched the subject. 

TX2step's picture

I think you were conned to moving to help pay the bills while daughter contributes exactly zero. He had a plan, but you were not privileged to it. Think back to those red flags you're seeing. Sorry I'm jaded by manipulating adult SD. Good luck.

I have to disagree with you on this one.  He didn’t want me to pay any bills because he’s old school.  I chose to pay bills because I’m not one who is looking for a free ride.

Rags's picture

I got this one.

SD-17 is a HS graduate.  If she does not want to either work full time or be a full time student she is your live in back and call girl/chore bitch.  Work her ass off.  Shut off hte internet and cable every day when you leave for work.  It does not get turned on until you get home.

Post her chore list SpreadSheet in a prominant place and she either completes it all each day or she is left on the front step without a key until one of the household adults gets home in the evening.

This worked wonders for my SS who pulled this crap with us.  It took ~4mos of washing, folding, putting away, scrubbing, sweeping, vacuuming, mopping, polishing, trimming, mowing, weeding, painting, slicing, dicing, chopping, cutting, cooking, cleaning, dusting, etc.... then doing it all over again the next day before he enlisted in the USAF.

First, call a locksmith to rekey the locks, she does not get a key.  Then post the chore list.  If DH wants a key, he enforces the rules in partnership with you.

It works.

And buy your dog.  SD can bitch moan and cry all she wants. She is only a temporary resident now that she has finished HS.  Don't discuss it. Just do it.  Then inform BF that his daughter is his problem to deal with but that you are not supporting her Sofa Rodeo career.

Good luck.

Get out of my head..... on my way home from work I was thinking I’m taking the damn modem to work with me everyday..... then she can’t surf the internet or watch tv.  If I could take all the food with me everyday and store it in my trunk while I’m at work I would.  She is just a useless sack of sh*t and I cannot stand her.  The sad part of it all is my boyfriend is a good guy.  He cooks for me, washes my clothes and makes sure I want for nothing BUT this situation with his daughter cancels everything out.  A couple of weeks ago I told him if she continues to live here that it will affect our relationship.  He laughed and said she’s not going to be around for that to happen.  In one breath he will say something about her going to live with her mother when she turns 18 and he fulfills the divorce decree and then he will say things like delay my puppy purchase and have her making color choices for the bathroom.  I’m sorry but that only tells me you have plans for her to stick around.  As far as her not leaving it’s fine, but he’s doing nothing to put his foot down and lay down the law.  When I leave for work in the morning I get pissed because across the hall she’s sleep with not a care in the world.  My bf is free to support that nonsense, but I’m not. As I mentioned before, 2 weeks ago my bf took his daughter to get birth control.  He had to ask the mother to go because he could not stay st the appt due to work. As I suggested he had her tested for std’s.  On Monday he got a call that he needed to bring her in to get a shot because she has BV.  BV is not an std but it is from having multiple sex partners or a new partner can throw off the bacteria levels and lead to an infection.  The dr. gave her a shot and a prescription.  She had a nerve to whine to my bf how nasty the medicine was.  I wanted to tell her if you weren’t giving your body away so freely you wouldn’t be dealing with this issue, but I bite my tongue a lot to keep peace & harmony.  Bad move because little did I realize that I was reaching a breaking point.

notsurehowtodeal's picture

While BV can be caused by multiple sex partners, it can also be caused by anything that disrupts the vagina's PH balance, which then effects the bacteria levels. Things like douching, using vaginal deodorants or perfumed soaps, bubble baths, hot tubs, and swimming pools can also cause BV.

Using condoms with spermicide used to cause me to get BV's.

Yes, I ended up with BV after having an iud inserted.  My gyno said it was common for it to happen post insertion. Yes 

SonOfABrisketMaker's picture

I took Rags’ advice and did this exact thing to my BS18 who decided to drop out of trade school and lay around. He got so sick of the “demands and lectures” that he moved his lazy butt out after 2 weeks. He interviewed for a manual labor job with good pay a couple weeks ago cause he’s tired of not having fast food or his car (no insurance? No car.)

When we knew she was finishing school early I told my bf since she chooses not to have a job you cannot make things too comfortable for her because it’s guaranteed she won’t do anything but lay around all day and eat & sleep.  When her mother was married to my bf she waited until he married her and then claimed she had debilitating migraines that enabled her to work. My bf was taking care of his oldest son from another relationship, his ex-wife’s older daughter and the 2 kids they had together.  Hr had no problem with her staying home, he even brought her a new car too, but she wasn’t taking care of the house or kids. Those same traits rubbed off on my bf’s son and daughter w/his ex-wife.  Their son is 22 years old, and a high school dropout who won’t work.

ndc's picture

I think that getting your own place pronto (or at the latest when the daughter fails to launch in 2 months) is the best plan.  If your BF isn't going to treat you as the highest priority in the house you share, then move out and get that dog.  You'll be the dog's top priority for sure.  You can continue to date your BF if you want, but you won't have to see or deal with his daughter.  Maybe that'll send a message to your BF.  If not, you'll know where you stand and you still won't have to see or deal with his daughter.