You are here

Common issue...but I need to vent

Travis33649's picture

Here's the deal...Met my current girlfriend while separated and at the time she had two boys from a previous marriage and a 6 month girl from a deadbeat former boyfriend.

well here we are now and alot as changed from when we first met. My girlfriends stepdad was diagnosed with cancer and was asked to move back in with her parents to help out with bills. Her daughter sleps in the same room and she gets her boys 3 days a week. The little girl is a absolute pain. She whines till she gets what she wants, she's allowed to destroy everything i've bought for her mom and she is up until 1 in the morning. I stay over once a week and it's about all I can handle. I leave for work early in the morning and the little girl takes up all of our time and eventually I have to give up and go to sleep. Her mom disciplines her, but not nearly enough to let her know that something was wrong...it's too the point she gives in after yelling at her and then offers her anything to make her happy and stop crying...do you need a cookie? do you need juice? do you need candy....keep in mind this happens around midnight usually.

To top it off, my girlfriend has been referring to me as "da-da" to her and that's how she addresses me. I've bit my tongue for a long time because I do realize that she is the mom and will raise her kids just as I have done with my 3 girls who were raised in a totally different style. My girlfriend keeps talking of our "brady bunch" but it's a constant pain seeing how she deals with her daughter and us not getting the alone time that I think is reserved for adults past 9 o'clock!.....now that my divorce is final it's starting to make me not even want to be around and causing tension

Travis33649's picture

forgot another gripe.....the girl has her own bed, but has to fall asleep in my girlfriends bed before she can be transferred to her bed....and the tv has to be on....and she has to have this...and that....then gets up at 5am to start this whole cycle over

Travis33649's picture

yeah I should have mentioned...her dad is alot better now and back to work full-time, but they've gotten used to her pitching in with money and make her feel bad if she talks about moving out. Her step-dad and mom watch the girl when she's at work so I think both fault lies with her mom/dad and her as far as keeping her on a schedule that's reasonable..and she's apprehensive letting others watch the girl due to her high maintance styles....here before too long we'll need to have a sit down and talk this over...I do know that without a doubt

youngmama1b1g's picture

Roughly said, but it needed to be spoken.

I too worry you may be stepping into her "Brady Bunch" unwillingly. Save yourself- quickly!

Kilgore SMom's picture

The way children act is alot of the time due to poor parenting. I agree with vibes because GF probably does need a break. Its very hard living with your parents when your grown and even harder if your helping support them. Because you have no way out or feel that way. GF may not get to discipline sd living with her parents like she may would if she lived alone. I also agree with Echo children only do what parents let them do. Alot of dealing with sk is all about how their parented.

my.kids.mom's picture

I'm confused. You say the girl was 6 months old, but you don't say how much time has passed since you first started dating. Is she 8 months? Two years? LOL While I agree it sounds like there are issues, the age of this baby is important to know before anyone says what should be happening. More than her possible discipline inadequacies, I'm concerned about why a man newly divorced would want to be with a woman who has three kids from two dads, who is now referring to you as "da da." HELLLLLLLOOOOOOOOO. The lack of stability in this woman's life is the least of your concerns. You may already have a baby on the way... Wink

Travis33649's picture

I'll help out with your confusion...The girl is now 2, i've been separated for quite a long time and just now got the divorce finalized. but thanks for turning the tables around on me when I'm trying to seek honest advice. I do realize there is instability and was looking for similar situations that I could see advice from....and there's no baby on the way