You are here

Bio and skid bonding

Roxyrow's picture

Bio kids stay in thier rooms or disappear when skids are over. Bios are 14 and 18. Skids are 13,10,6 Skids fight with each other and are loud and obnoxious slam doors throw fits etc.There is no bonding no closeness. We have never done anything with all of them together. We went camping once with all but my BD-18 didn't go. I didn't push her to go. BIOs don't want to bond they just want thier own space. We have been in the same house for 2 1/2 years.Should we be forcing family activities or outings? We wanted to plan a vacation for spring break to Disney but Bios are saying they don't want to go because they don't want to ride in a vehicle for that long with the SKIDS. I'm tempted to let them opt out and go on vacation with grandpa and me go with DBF and his kids. Bios have already been to Disney and don't care about going again.

Roxyrow's picture

Almost scared to force him because I don't want him to spoil it for the rest of us. I took BD to Disney at 14 she didn't feel like going with us and stayed in the hotel room all but one day the first day would rather be on her cell phone I suspended phone service and she sat in the room by herself so I cashed her 5day hopper pass back in.

hismineandours's picture

We blended when our kids were young=my two oldest kids were 2, and 9months, and his son was 1. So we thought they would bond quite naturally and easily. HA! We did lots of trips and family activities, but I can quite safely say ss does not really have a bond with any of us and I think he does not want to. After literally years of him shoving this message in all of our faces, my kids have learned to just primarily stay away from him. For the longest time, he would come over and my kids would go to friends houses, or hang out with me who was also avoiding ss. So just dh and ss would hang out.

We are currently giving it one last chance. Seriously this is it. If things dont work out with ss visiting at this point, i am done with it. We have put some things in place to ease the transition and build the bond slowly. SS only is coming over one day a week at this point. It is a day that we have scheduled activities already so we are all together for chunks of time but not necessarily interacting every moment. This forces some togetherness, but not necessarily a need to interact. Takes the pressure off. WE also have some "downtime" scheduled in there so if parties need to take a break from one another they can. Also boundaries in place-ss doesnt enter the other kids rooms, etc. If this goes well for some months we may move on to more signifcant visits.

Honestly, since the bond is NOT there at this point with bios and skids-I would think a trip that long in the car and that much family togetherness would be incredibly stressful. If you want to work on bonding-perhaps you could do so more slowly-like with an afternoon out to a movie together or somehting. But I would not give up my time with my kids-I would go on vaca with them and let dh take his kids to disney.

Ommy's picture

Dont force it. Just like in school and life there are some that you bond with and some that you dont. They dont care for each other and that is okay, as long as they dont physically harm each other. Not everyone is meant to be friends and be buddy buddy.

ThatGirl's picture

I really don't think you can/should force it. My children want nothing to do with skids, but it's easier since mine are out on their own. I usually try to invite them over on non-skid days.

How often do you have skids? If it's just an every other weekend thing, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I would, however, insist that everyone eat at the same table for dinner. A long road trip together, is too much to ask, tho. I also would NEVER take a kid to Disney if he didn't want to go. What's the point?

hippiegirl's picture

Step families are not natural. Don't force bonding. It will only lead to resentments later on.

Ommy's picture

have you thought of a cruse? with deals the amount of money isnt that much more plus each person can go off and do their own thing.