You are here

Adult step daughter trying to disrespect step mom and control all family funtions

DJW's picture

My spouse and have been together for 10 years. All of the kids where adults but one when got together. All of the kids have done a good job of blending except for his daughter. This past year my husband and I made a big life change in our living so it is not where we can host the holiday dinners and get party's as we have always done. We had a talk with all of the children and explained this to them. Hi children live close to us and my do not. This past weekend at a birthday party my step daughter singled me out away from her dad and stated to try have a aurgument with me because my daughter who lives in another state from us invited everyone to come to her house for Thanksgiving. My husband and I ask the his kids what their plans where and there was no answer for a couple weeks, so we decicded to go to my daughters house. I simple thought it was not the tome or place to ahve a aurgument with my step daughter so I went to the room my husband was in and told him I would wait for him in our car for him to finish his visit, Then the daughter proceeded to tell her father she didn't like what our plans are and told and she was mad about we where doing. He told her that not everything is about her and her statement was for him just to go ahead and cater to me. Which made him extremly mad at her and showed him that she has some problems with me. We are at a point where we all are not speaking to her at this time, but I have very hurt feelings and dont know what to do. This is not the first time she has done disrespectfull thungs toward mysself.

Merry's picture

You? You do nothing. Her feelings toward you are clear. Let's hope she can be at least civil to you when she is around you.

It's up to your DH to handle. Your SD behaves like my SD, who knows exactly what everyone else should be doing. Now, I like SD just fine, but she's not in charge of ME. And she's no longer in charge of DH. We've gotten to the point where DH and I make our decisions, tell her (and all the kids), and if she's unhappy or wants us to do something else, too bad. DH has come a LONG way.

You are very fortunate that your DH told her from the start that his decisions aren't always about her. That's healthy. He needs to stick to that and she can like it or not.

CANYOUHELP's picture

You are very fortunate indeed, you have a husband who was a man and stood up for his wife.... My husband is a lot like Dadswife above, he so enmeshed he does anything they want, without consideration to me....he is scared to death of them, it is very pathetic.

I would give anything to hear my husband defend me to them, just once!

9yearsinhell's picture

Enmeshment is a huge problem for my DH62 also.  He simply refuses to risk his DD's disapproval or anger and she HAD withheld visitation to his grandsons from him to punish him for not breaking up with me when we were still dating!  Who ARE these children that they act like this?!

CANYOUHELP's picture

Likewise-Dadswifeorwhatever (your name here I am also called), but you probably figured that out--already!

bitsnpieces15's picture

Well, at the end of the day, you are the one he is going to be with regardless. SD is being rude and childish; which we all do from time to time, but she may find herself in your shoes someday. Believe it or not that will make her appreciate you more than you know.

Acratopotes's picture

I hope I'm never in this situation, I will not simply find SO and say I'm waiting in the car....

I will look Aergia straight in the eye and say - you know what, I prefer spending my holidays with normal people and not with low class b!tches, don;t ever invite us again and do not expect an invite from us, this includes your father and I'm married to him not you so just get lost.... Oh I will make sure there's enough people to hear me....and I will record her attack on me in case SO corners me when alone....

bitsnpieces15's picture

Well, just let her figure it out. Ignore her going forward and make your plans and inform the kids- End of discussion. Take a holiday break and then see how you feel towards Christmas.

ChiefGrownup's picture

Your dh had an excellent response for her. "not about you" -- love it!

If only so many more dads could learn from your dh.

It's so simple: children don't own parents, normal adults don't want to be around people who treat them like garbage, and other normal people don't fixate obsessively on their daddies/mommies until the end of time.

What a lovely world it would be if people could just follow those three rules.

SetBoundriesEarly's picture

Take Away from this:  Set boundaries EARLY with your DH & SD.  Establish with both of them that you will only accept cordial respect from them or ANYONE.  Establish with your DH, way before you are married, that YOU are his queen and you will accept nothing less.  This is all about YOUR self-respect and expectations of others.  People only treat you the way you allow them to treat you.  You don't have to turn it into a fight.  Just be "matter of fact".  The second disrespect comes out of their mouth, firmly look them in the eye and stay "STOP".   This is short, quick, to the point, and ends all conversation until they check their attitude and disrespect toward you without you engaging in an argument.  If they mouth back at you, then calmly but firmly say "your disrespect really makes you look bad".  That turns it back on them.  They really don't care how "you feel" but they do care about "their looks".  If they continue to argue back, then disengage, walk away, or tell them to leave your home, THE END of conversation and not arguing.

Here's another thing....  I read a lot of people saying they expect their DH to fix the problem with "their children".  YOU need to personally establish that boundary with your DH, your stepchildren, and anyone you socialize with.  Your stepchildren will respect you if YOU expect them to and it comes directly from you.  To require your DH to fix the problem makes matters worse.  It gives the children the message that "everything was fine until YOU came into the picture".  "Daddy's rules and expectations of us changed when YOU came along."   Then why would they like you?  YOU changed their world. :) 

My Experience

As a newlywed, I have already faced direct disrespect from my 26 yo SD who has a masters degree and great job.  Her father and I were together over 5 years before getting married last month.  There were little issues directly between me and my SD at that time since she was away at college and the majority of our time was spent without her.  She has since moved back to her home town, near us, and where we are planning to build our new home.

While we were dating, I witnessed her curse her father over a simple question that did not warrant resentment let alone disrespect.  I talked to him privately and immediately established with him that I would not tolerate such disrespect and for him to expect me to correct her, leaving him with no surprises for the future.  I also hear her father and brother say repeatedly, "Well, that's just Bella!  That's just how she is!"  My response to that is, "Are you saying she has a mental problem and she needs help?  That she can't control this behavior?"

The main issue with her is that she is the ONLY granddaughter and her father has been divorced from her mother for 13 years.  Basically, her father had become "HER MAN" in a sick sense.  For example, he gave me a Tiffany bracelet for our first Valentines and the goal was each Valentines he would buy me a new charm.  Well, he also gave her the same bracelet.  Right then, I set the boundary that I was not his "other daughter" and I was not going to be treated the same as her.  I broke his heart and handed him the bracelet back and said: "this is for your daughter".  He buckled and apologized stating that he had only bought her one charm and that he would not buy her more charms.  I eventually accepted his promise and he has held true to his promise.

Recently, on a family vacation with all 4 of our children and their significant others, she rudely interrupted my conversation in mid-sentence and with an assertive/aggressive tone told me I was wrong and proceeded to correct me.  Before she could finish her sentence, I looked her firmly in the eye and said "STOP".  She opened her mouth again and started bragging about her education and extensive knowledge (as she always does).  Before she finished, I firmly said again "STOP!  The conversation ended when you turned on the disrespect, STOP!" 

I realize this is not the end of her disrespectful attitude, but I also realize that it is not directed at me and it is a habit that she has been allowed all of her life.  I don't respond to her as if I take it as a personal attack, it's not about me.  I do respond to her with the mindset that it is unbecoming of her, makes her look bad, and her hard work and education are diminished as soon as she displays her "look at me, I'm better than you attitude".   I don't expect her to break her habit immediately, I do expect her to speak to me like she has a masters degree and not as a spoiled child.  I expect more challenges, and I am prepared to react immediately.  Don't let it grow deep roots.  Nip it in the bud!

Rags's picture

Why would you choose to be hurt by her toxic crap.  That is on her.  Water off of a duck's back and all.

Don't give her space in your head. Write her off until her behavior complies with reasonablness.