You are here

What should I do?

IOA's picture

Hi all,

This is my first post here and I feel both shy and lost, but I I think I need to vent so here it goes... Will try to keep it as short as possible, but I can't promise anything. Advice would be much appreciated Smile

My partner has 4 children (now aged 16, 14 and 7-year-old twins, boy and girl) from his previous relationship, which was always very toxic. My partner and his ex had a one night stand, she got pregnant, and they tried to start a family. I know, right? Stupid. But anyway, that's how things went on 16 years ago. My partner never loved her, there wasn't much respect in their relationship, shouting was a normal thing... But still, they ended up having 4 children. I'll focus on the twins here to make it shorter, and because we spend more time with them.

The thing is, they're absolute brats. I know me saying this is awful, but it's true. It's obvious they aren't used to being told "NO", they don't know about respect, accountability, manners... They're lovely if they do what they want, but as you know, that's not how life works... They're spoiled brats, and they measure love in material things as well as with getting away with whatever they want (I mean, if you let them do/have what they want, you're lovely, but if you don't, you're mean). They even have personal phones with free access to the internet, since they were only 6! I still can't believe it... Anyway, my partner, their daddy, doesn't aprove and like that, but we only get them twice a week and the BM has stopped him from seeing them lots of times before, so I think he's a bit scared and cautious as to what he does... He tries to set rules and boundaries, but sometimes he ends up just giving up... Most times from my point of view, which causes some tension and strain in our relationship. 

The children get the most horrible tantrums for nothing, they start shouting, they shout at their daddy to "shut up"... Even when it's time to go to school for instance, and their daddy tells them "come on, leave that, we have to leave now" they'd answer with a super loud and disrespectful "NO!!!". Absolute disrespect. I don't even know how to put it here. Now, I was brought up in a totally different environment; respect was sacred. Nobody talked like that to anybody. Not because of fear of reprisal, but because... RESPECT. My parents weren't very strict tbh, just clear in their values and principles. Whatever disagreement, whatever the issue, we'd talk and try to convince or understand the other. And we'd have dinner together, TV off... We had a set of rules but very basic and common-sense, if you know what I mean. But these children... They're exactly the opposite. So as you all can imagine... I suffer. I suffer so much. I understand where they're coming from, but still. I suffer. 

I started interfering and trying to "parent", explain this and that, tell them "there's no shouting in this house" and things like that, mildly but surely, but my partner asked me not to interfere and to leave it to him, so that he'd be "the bad guy" and it couldn't cause more problems with his ex (who is a narcicistic, liar, manipulative person who's trying to make my life hell since our relationship, btw). So I tried to disengage, but I can't... This is my house too, and minimal respect is a boundary for me. I don't want this shouting and disrespecting in my life. I'm OK with teaching them, leading, showing, being patient, etc, but this... This is another level.

But that's not the end of it. The real problem for me comes when I look at the future. The first thing, of course, is: can I live like this, even if they only come twice a week? But my partner and I are talking about having children ourselves, and that levels up my concerns. I wouldn't want my children to have that bad influence. I wouldn't like them to be brought up seeing those things, hearing that talking, shouting... I wouldn't like my children feeling that they're being treated in a different way from their step-siblings in our house (because once my first child was born I'd set a very clear set of rules and boundaries at home).

I feel overwhelmed every time they're here, I feel angry and sad, I feel I can't really do anything to better our lives (theirs included, because I consider that's not a way of rising any child...). I've started suffering from anxiety, and also doubting if I should stay in this relationship. I try to talk to my partner, but he seems trapped in the situation and even though he suffers too, I don't think he has a real willpower, determination and clarity to fight this. He's not much of a talker either... I don't know. I don't know if I could make this work in the long run without losing my mind. Any thoughts?

JRI's picture

Im not getting a positive feeling about your situation.  I do think your partner is doing the right thing to ask you to leave the discipline to him because it never works when the stepparent does it.  But he's not doing so well, himself.

He is hampered by his fear of the BM.  Does he have a legal custody order? Would that keep her from withholding the kids?  Because unless he steps up to the dad role, including setting expectations, laying down consequences and, most importantly, following through consistently, nothing will chsnge.

One positive thing is that I don't see him being a Disney dad, giving them everything to buy their love.  I think his instincts are correct, he just doesn't have the consistent time with them to confidently confront the misbehavior.

You are the only one who can decide whether it's worth going through all the trauma of turning around poorly behaved kids, an antagonistic BM and all the rest.  Good luck.

IOA's picture

Hi JRI,

Thanks so so much for your comment.

The situation with the BM is actually a bit messy... The last time she stopped him from seeing the kids was just after I met them (surprise surprise), and my partner had to go through solicitors to reach an agreement with her. It's not a court order, it was just an agreement with set days to take the children, but it has no legal power. The thing is she asked him to make some changes to the agreement afterwards, which my partner agreed... So it all has stayed in nothing, really, because the original agreement doesn't exist anymore.

As for the "Disney dad" thing... No, he's not fully that, but he has his moments. He feels that he cannot parent properly due to the circumstances so he does what he can... But yeah, you put it very well there.

Thanks again, a lot!

JRI's picture

I hate to be so jaded here but some of these "what should I fo?" situations come down to how much tolerance a person has, also what kind of options.  In my own case, my options seemed limited and I guess my toletance was high enough to live thru my 3 wild SKs, the crazy BM and Disney dad.  48 years later, here we are but it hasnt been easy.  You are the only judge about how much you can out up with and how long.  Good luck.

tog redux's picture

He needs to parent his kids, regardless of his fear of BM. Does he have a court order? Has he challenged her before when she's refused him access? If they are this bad at 7, imagine them at 14.  I wouldn't stick around for that.

IOA's picture

As I answered in the previous comment, the situation with the BM is actually a bit messy... The last time she stopped him from seeing the kids was just after I met them (surprise surprise), and my partner had to go through solicitors to reach an agreement with her (first time he did this, and it came at a high cost, her telling the kids lies... It was horrible, and the eldest ones stopped talking to their daddy for it). Anyway, tt's not a court order, it was just an agreement with set days to take the children, but it has no legal power. The thing is she asked him to make some changes to the agreement afterwards, which my partner agreed... So it all has stayed in nothing, really, because the original agreement doesn't exist anymore. 

Thanks for your honesty, really appreciate it.

Wicked stepmo.'s picture

You truly have no control over your steps or the type of people they are. You can set boundaries on how they treat and interact with you on an individual level. But that is all, they will be who Thier parents raise them to be and they will behave the way Thier parents allow. 

If you truly cannot come to accept or live being the outsider in your relationship with your steps. You may want to evaluate if this relationship will work for you long term. 

If you have children of your own, you will raise them the way you see fit they will be bonded with you. Its completely different than being a stepparent. 

IOA's picture

Thanks very much for your comment.

You're right... But regarding the children of our own (which we still don't have lol), my point was that we would raise them the way we see fit as you said, but then the clash with their step siblings (my partner's children) would be huge, and honestly, I wouldn't like my children to have the influence of their stepsiblings... I also imagine our kid having rules and boundaries and then the others coming over and having "privileges" over our child, which I think would be totally unfair. I don't know, I might be anticipating too much, but it's something I think a lot about because we're considering having children in the near future and I wouldn't like to make a mistake. Anyway, lots to consider here, I'm even thinking about getting professional help to deal with all this. Finding this community has been a first step... Smile

Wicked stepmo.'s picture

I wouldn't worry too much about the steps influence if you had a child. The age gap would be significant enough that there would be little to no influence or much a relationship between them.

Rumplestiltskin's picture

Idk, you would be starting with your first child but it will be your DH's fifth child. Does he even have it in him to start over with a fifth? That would be my concern. Would he be "all-in", or just so tired from years of fighting BM that he wouldn't be much help to you? 

IOA's picture

Well, we've been talking about it for a long time now... I have the same concern, or should I say I had...? He says he wants to do this with me, because he never chose to have his other children and he never loved the BM. He never really had a real say in raising them up too... She kind of imposed where the children would go to school, the dinamics in the house... He just stayed there "for the kids", which I think is totally wrong, but yeah... (He was abandoned by his biological father and I think he has some sort of trauma... He always said he'd never do that to children, his own...) But I do ask your point to myself at times, although my biggest concern is that I don't know how we'd make it work with his side of the family...