You are here

We are OKAY! Who's with me?

callmemyname's picture

My fiance has a 4yo son. BM has primary physical but they have joint legal. I used to honestly hate my life and regret even dating my SO. Recently, I have been taking the time to work on my mental health and try to bring a little bit more of "me" back into my life. This has changed EVERYTHING. Realizing that it is okay to take a step back, to admit you need help, to NEED to work on you. Is is all okay. Especially when you have no biokids of your own. In the beginning, I took so much on my plate before I was even sure I could handle it all. I was thrust into this role of parenting that I didn't even want. Immediately, I began to resent my SO, the BM, and unfortunately that lead to casting my resentment onto SS4. HArd to not do, but very toxic for all involved. I have been very hands on in the raising of SS since I became a full time part of his life. I even coach his youth sports teams with my SO. BM barely ever shows up, and when she does, she has ten pounds of makeup and spend the entire practice/ game with her nose in her phone. Yet still, she is the main priority in SS's life. He just wants to make her happy and proud and get her attention. He doesn't have to fight for our attention like he does hers, so I understand why he focuses solely on her when she is around. I can't imagine having to beg one of my parents to even look at me.

This weekend, SO and BM both had to work. Little dude and I got to spend the day together. It was the perfect day. We talked about a lot of things, he asked me questions freely, and we genuinely bonded. We went into a shoe store and he was looking around when the sales associate unknowingly asked him "are you and mom having a good day?" There it was. The snap of the rubber band that shot me back from reality and slammed my feet right back on the ground. I hate that question, absolutely hate it. (Once, when he was two, he went through a phase of calling me "mommy." SO and I didn't praise or reprimand him for it, we simply allowed it. If that is what he felt like calling me, I was not going to punish or encourage it. That lasted for about two months before he slipped up infront if BM and she ENDED it. Fast. He never called me that again, except occationaly by accident.) He looked away quickly and busied himself on an untied shoelace, mumbling "She's not my mom." I tried to smile at the associate, who probably felt like melting to a puddle of mush like I did. I choked out a half-hearted "Ha, step mom. Ya know, all of the work, none of the credit," and tried to move past it. She smiled as if she knew, and quickly asked if he wanted some stickers. Of course that changed everything. Thank you to the sales associate who didn't see me as less of a person simply because this child was not my own making. The day continued just as perfectly as it began. 

On the way home, he informed me that he asks his mom to come to our house when she has to work and she always says no. That broke me. He said she always tells him he has to hang out with yaya, grandma, and that we are busy. We aren't. We ask to get him if we don't have plans. She always says he days he doesn't like coming to our house.

Such an odd game we play as stepparents. We live the life of interns, I suppose. Always putting in all the grunt work and never getting any of the glory. Not that I think we deserve it, but I've never heard of anyone celebrating "Step-Mother's Day," have you?

These are just my ramblings for now, can anyone relate?

Thumper's picture

Take a lot more ME time far away from where you are now with out your boyfriend. Consider a trip to Vegas or a cruise to Mexico and have fun. Tell BF---you will text him when you arrive but no more than that.

You will come back with a new perspective. Trust me, Step Parent Day will be in your rearview mirror---you probably will say to yourself.what in the heck was I thinking.

Miss you are so knee deep in this that you can not see the forest thru the trees. TAKE A MUCH DESERVED BREAK away from bf and his child.

You deserve it.THIS entire situation is your problem see below.

You wrote:On the way home, he informed me that he asks his mom to come to our house when she has to work and she always says no. That broke me.

-------------------------------------

GoodLuck moving forward.

callmemyname's picture

Got my age spot on. When I first met FDH, I wasn't even sure I wanted kids of my own. I thought him having SS4 would help me from feeling like a horrible SO for not wanting to reproduce. Boy was I wrong. The jealously I feel for BM getting his firsts, burns me up sometimes. I have fought depression on and off for about eight years. I've tried the meds, and didn't like who I became. I have fought really hard to get where I am. Really hard. Some days are better than others. I was raised by the two most selfless parents that I know. I guess, in some ways, I am trying to be that for SS, even though it is not my place, nor my job. But I know I will do that for my children, and I don't want SS to feel left out.

shamds's picture

wives/partners won’t have firsts of anything like kids etc.

my husband was married 16 years and had 3 kids with A*shole before he divorced her. My own husband told me there never felt like a first anything even with 3  kids and 16 yrs of marriage it wasn’t marriage, it was a hellhole. Finally with me he experienced the normalcy’s of a healthy relationship and marriage. 

Us having kids even our 1st, hubby told his family it was such a new experience for him being in labor room and seeing me deal with labor and how i was afterwards that it was such an amazing experience. Exwife arrived at hospital screaming at dr to cut the baby out, she wasn’t dealing with labor anything, she never allowed hubby at any hospital appts throughout pregnancy so he was in the dark.

with me he was always there and hands on. These firsts with us has helped changed him to be that hands ob parent he always wanted to be but couldn’t with the ex...