You are here

Twentyquestions, where'd you go?

ChiefGrownup's picture

To the Scottish gal living in Spain wondering about moving in with her boyfriend and his 11 year old son....

I see your thread is deleted. I had typed out a response for you but when I hit post there was no thread anymore. I have no idea why the thread went away but maybe you're still browsing here. I'll post my answer anyway. I hope you come back.

"You are wise to think about all these practicalities before proceeding. So few do. So you're ahead of the game. You have, indeed, identified a key list of what ends up driving stepparents to this board in great distress.

The dishes: I can attest this will drive you out of your mind. An 11 year old who has no chores or no expectation he is to help maintain the house turns into a teen who doesn't and then into a failure-to-launch 20 year old you can't budge off your couch. In the meantime, you will resent deeply your nice clean kitchen you used to have and even your own ability to prepare food for yourself becasue a giant stack of crap is filling the sink. You can't find the pan you want and you feel too much anger to wash what the playstation warriors have let slide for days. You will eat out more and hate the whole thing.

Your boyfriend has already shown you a dynamic that is lethal to relationships. That is that when the child is there, the world stops and you are expected to shrink yourself into someone small. You are not allowed to have any needs or expectations of your own during this time. This will mess with your mental health. It is at least part of the reason you were sobbing. You may not have named it yet but it does indeed feel terrible to be shrunk down from the exciting, valued partner you were yesterday to someone who has to be shunted to the couch or out of sight altogether etc today.

Some people will say you had him all week so now you have to step aside for the child's time. But that is not the problem at all. It is the nauseating whiplash of being wooed and desired one day to being cast off and stripped of dignity the next. It leaves you in a sobbing heap. Yes, yes, it does. Your boyfriend should be able to integrate his relationship with you with his role as Papa. That's what normal parents do. Moms and dads still married to each other do show children that the marriage is important and child is not center of attention at all times. And healthy steps do this, too. But you are right off the bat expected to cut off your needs and shrink. It feels worse and worse the longer you do this. It is a bad red flag.

I would also not be jumping at the chance to live with a man "because he has to move anyway." His invitation to you should be about his strong feelings for you, his desire to create a future with you, his urgent need to keep you and be with you. You need a very strong bond to survive and thrive in steplife and this "landlord is forcing me out" bit doesn't demonstrate that.

I would politely decline until the feelings are stronger AND you have been integrated into the boy's life in your true character as his partner, not his sofa warmer. Just tell him "I don't think we're ready yet." This should alert him that he needs to up his game. If he flat out asks you why, tell him it will be a shock to the boy to sleep in his own bed. You don't want to be responsible for that. Should motivate Dad to move the boy into his own bed all on his won. Wash rinse repeat. I wouldn't say all the things at once. Men never react well to that. Just keep it light and cheerful and mention one thing.

Hopefully over time this process will bring you 2 closer together and will put the boy on to a better trajectory as well as reconfigure the dynamic among the 3 of you.

If it doesn't work, then it was never going to work. Better to find out now, save yourself years of misery.

Welcome to ST. Glad you came. You're doing great by looking at the realities before diving in. Let us know how it goes.

Oh, also, kudos for the 2 extra languages! Awesome!"

ChiefGrownup's picture

Thank you.

Maybe she'll come back?

BTW, I didn't think one could delete Forum threads but this is the second one that has disappeared this week that I was interested in. But is the first one to disappear while I was still typing!

I wonder what happened.

Indigo's picture

I thought that perhaps her opening line which was something along the lines of "hello, crew" may have triggered some early warning sensor.

Chief, you gave lovely advice.

ChiefGrownup's picture

Why, thank you, Indigo. Interesting theory.

I hope we all remember here that the word "crew" is a perfectly normal and common word in daily use every where in the English speaking world. There is no reason any body coming here for the first time would not use it in all innocence.

There was nothing bizarre or provocative about her story that I saw.

So the thread blew up, is that what happened?

Indigo's picture

I read it earlier on my phone and was considering cultural differences, co-sleeping, the red-light/green-light nature of the relationship to date ... booted up the laptop and the thread was gone.

I'm just guessing that someone hot-lined Admin or that the word: "crew" triggered a removal. 'Course then I think of SailorGirl/Sailor who used a different meaning for 'crew & mate.'

Too bad. I was interested in hearing if how Twentyquestions worked her way through the situation. Your advice was much more clear than what I had been planning. Wink

SacrificialLamb's picture

Probably my exH after I posted about cultural differences LOL. He actually found a post I had on a college board years ago. No identifying info about him, no identifying info about me, but he and his new wife threatened to take me to court. Haha try proving how that affected them in a negative way.

Indigo's picture

I was wrong. Found her post still up on my phone. Lots of thoughtful responses from a wide range of posters. Kudos

twoviewpoints's picture

What she asked:

"But I'm scared of hitting a nerve when it comes to discussing his son. He's definitely a bit of a Disney Dad and behaves in a very guilty way, even though it was BM who cheated and broke up the relationship.
How do I approach this topic with tact and with honesty? What do I need to consider and get clear about with my boyfriend before we make any decisions? What questions do I need to be asking: both to myself and to him?
Would really appreciate your advice!"

I was reading the posting until I went out to the patio early this morning and puttered around the yard. The replies seemed to be exactly the kind she had actually asked for at that time I last saw it. When I came back in, it was gone.

I can only assume she didn't want to hear the answers and advice she received. I guess steptalk wasn't what she was really looking for afterall. The comments I read were, IMO, helpful and sincere. *shrugs*

Indigo's picture

*Dup