You are here

Thought I was losing my mind

HeyCarrieAnn's picture

Wow, so glad I came across this forum. Sitting here crying because I thought it was just me. I originally started with a search for dealing with stepdaughters and then adult stepchildren but none of the posts I read were quite right. Then I saw this forum and started to read some of the posts and I started crying because some of you have been describing how I've been feeling since my DH's 20 year old daughter came to live with us in Feb. Prior to that she was living in IL with her BM and we spent time together during vacations and trips and got along okay. She comes with some baggage as she "suffers" from anxiety and depression. I've been aware of her issues since I met my DH five years ago, she has been hospitalized a couple of times and pretty much keeps to herself. She decided to move down here because her Mom didn't have time to help her with all her issues Sad Since SD has been here we have helped her get her driver's license and register for college, she plans to attend online. I knew all this before she got here and I thought i could handle it.....and now I don't even want to come home from work anymore. I feel like I have lost my home, she is here all the time, doesn't work, doesn't have any friends, doesn't want any either. She is lazy and inconsiderate to both her dad and me, not mean as much as rude. I don't have any bio children and it's not likely I will for medical reasons, I am at peace with that for the most part. I am used to my space and my time... and I'm afraid I am beginning to resent her invading my space, my life. I never thought I would feel this way. I am a social worker and am used to used to helping people with some serious issues...now I have no safe haven because I am having to deal with her when I'm not working Sad I am deeply in love with my DH and will do whatever I can to help him as he tries to help his BD get her life on track....but it's hard and when I try to talk to him about it he says the way she is his and her BM fault, so he excuses her bad attitude and that doesn't help. He's told me I don't understand what a parent would do for their child because I've never had one... that stung and while it's true I've never had a child, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that if you reward bad behavior then that's what your going to get. Thanks for being here for my rant and it does help to know that I am not alone.

hereiam's picture

I am so sorry you are in this situation. I found this site because I felt guilty for saying "no" when my SD asked my husband if she, her husband, and their 2 kids could "stay" with us. I am so glad I said no and so glad I found this site. It helped me realize I was not wrong or a bitch.

If your husband wants to help his daughter, he needs to make her have some responsibilities and show some respect.