You are here

Is there something wrong with ME?

crueljoke's picture

I am a 36 year old teacher. I love my job and am very nice to my students. BUT when I get home, I see my 17 year old step son and I am just angry all the time. 

Backstory: I met my husband 6 years ago. We moved in together 4 years ago and married 2 years ago. On our first date, his son called him thinking that I was going to murder him. If that was any indication of how his and I relationship would go, I should have known to run! Also, his mother was in the picture. She would phone a lot and lie to him which caused him to act out. She passed away in 2016 due to an overdose. 

When we all lived together at first, it was horrible. SS would cry and throw fits and be mean and lie. He was only 10-11, so I thought it was semi normal for him to get his way. He would deliberately throw food away and ask for something else to eat. He would be mean to my dog.. He would hide things of mine. Finally, I told my husband and he said it would be something I have to 'fix' and show him I'm the boss. I didn't want to overstep my boudnaries, but my husband made it clear that he couldn't make his kid mind, so I had to do it. 

Well, thats when it all started. I picked my battles, but I did make him mind. Slowly, he stopped lying (come to find out only not lie to my face), and would be a little more respectful. Fast forward to now- he is 17. He is a clean, average kid. But I don't like him. I don't like him at all. 

He tries to help-pack my lunch for school. He packs it with half sized portions and not enough food, reallly. I've told him that if he wants to help, then he has to pack more. Becuase then I have to unpack my lunchbox, add normal size portions to it (not the 2 bites of food he didn't want from last night and put them in the tiniest container he can find). Then he puts things back into the fridge, empty. So I have to go back and clean up after he tries to help. I have told him not to help me anymore, but he likes to think he helps. Then I end up yelling at him and being mean to him becuase he doesn't listen. 

He doesn't listen about anything- chores, school, living at home. He deliberately does things on purpose. It is his chore to wash the dishes after we eat dinner (I make, he washes). Sometimes he forgets to run the dish washer. So when I go to make dinner the next day, our plates and pans are dirty. And all he says is 'oh shoot, I forgot'. So I have to wash them or he does but wastes a lot of soap and water washing one pan. Like almost half a bottle of soap! Then I say "that is too much soap" and he says "oh shoot. I will remember next time" and walks away from the conversation like he is the parent. He lies about conversations we had, and when he repeats them to his father, he inputs his lies. Luckily his father has seen him lie first had, so he knows not to totally trust him. 

I know this is tearing my husband in 2. It is hurting me, becuase I just want to like this kid. He looks nothing like me, acts nothing like me, is nothing like me. I can't have my own bio children and sometimes I think God is laughing at me. Laughing because I can't have my own, and THIS is what he gives me?? I am angry at myself for being mean and I am angry at him for being the way he is and I am mad at my husband for not being more involved. He works like 15-16 hour days so he is not always available. 

Please someone tell me that I am being irrational and need to be nicer to my lying hurtful stepson. Someone help me understand what is going on and what I need to do to help myself and him. I tried counseling but he refuses to go. And my husband won't make him go. So that is pointless. 

Any friendly advice is needed and welcome. I even tried to make a list of why I love my son. I came up with 2- 1. He feeds my dog. 2. He can take care of himself (wipe and brush and bathe). Otherwise, I have nothing. 

Thank you for listening, it means a lot to me!

ndc's picture

I don't know much about teenagers (other than I used to be one), so I'm not one to give advice.  I wanted to tell you that I don't think there's anything wrong with you, and to send virtual hugs.  Also, just because the kid won't go to counseling doesn't mean YOU shouldn't.  You might get some help working out your feelings about not being able to have children and figure out how to deal with SS17 in a way that satisfies YOU.  You can't control him, but you can control how you deal with him.

crueljoke's picture

You are SO right!! I never actually thought about going by myself. In my mind, he was always the problem, not me. You are right. Thank you Smile And I will take your virtual hugs!

Loxy's picture

I feel your pain, I don't like my SD13 at all - I have never bonded with her over the last decade and I'm not sure I ever will. She's too different to me (too much like BM) and so we just clash all the time. What makes it harder is she's very attached to me and one hell of a needy kid so constantly wanting to spend time with me when I don't want to be around her at all!

Going to counselling is good advice - that's what I've done on and off to work through strategies to better deal with her better and it's definitely helped.

That being said, just moderating your expectations is also helpful. Chances are you may never like your SS and that's ok - you just need to work out a way to better engage with him. I also think your DH needs to step up more - after all putting it back on your is seriously bad form!

You're not alone - good luck!

Rags's picture

If anything you need to adopt a zero tolerance stance on his bullshit.

He isn't helping. He is passive aggressive, manipulative and a toxic POS waste of crotch juice who has not fallen far from the shallow and polluted gene pool his mother crawled from.

And your DH is half of  the cause of this problem!!!!!  He doesn't hold his spawn accountable or apply consequences for his manipulative bullshit.

So, post the standards of reasonable behavior for your home in a prominent place, apply increasing and extremely unpleasant consequences for SS's violations of those standards, shred the "I forgot" bullshit each and every time it crops up, and put his move out date on a big poster sized board on the wall.  He can either knock his toxic crap off or live a life of abject misery until he launches. Keep it simple and stay the course.

This is not on you, this is on THEM.  So... bring the pain, and do not second guess yourself as a good, logical, and adept person and educator.  Some people  just have to be written off.  So ... write him off and focus on taking care of you.

IMHO of course.

I am sorry you are having to live this BS with this POS kid and his waste of parental skin father.

crueljoke's picture

Rags-

Sometime I feel all that anger and disdain, but then I feel like crap for feeling it! I agree with your thoughts though. I thought it was a sin to fee like this. I am glad I found this forum to help me vent and see that others feel like this.

Rags's picture

Not that I am a theologian or any such thing.

Feelings are not choices.  They are primarily hormonal and we have zero control over feelings.  That is why feelings and emotion are completely useless in a decisioning process. 

Don't be so hard on yourself.  Confronting the bad behavioral choices of others to resolve a problem in one's own life is a positive action IMHO.

Take care of  you and give yourself a break.

Lemonygirl's picture

And just to add,  teenagers are pretty horrible anyway.  This one has lost a mother,  has an uninvolved father who had thrown you to the wolves.  I raised my own 2 through their teens,  pretty bad,  and my Dh's two,  even more horrible.  The lies,  removing nail polish on my best guest towels,  drawing ugly pictures of me, wrecking the car, not one, not two, but 4 times, now uninsurable.  Yep, it's so fun.  Don't be so hard on yourself.  It will pass.  

Fed Up after 14 Years's picture

Named Larry something that said "act like an idiot and you'll get out of work" . sounds like he is screwing up on purpose to make you mad. You feel what you feel, don't let him get to you. Follow Rag's advice.

Merry's picture

There is nothing wrong with you. You're resentful and exhausted, and your husband has made the difficulties with his own child YOUR problem. So you probably feel like you are all on your own trying to deal with a child that is not yours. So you resent that too. Am I right?

I also suggest individual counseling--not because you are the problem, but because you need some coping skills and some ability to set boundaries with both your husband and your stepson related to the unnacceptable behavior.

TwoOfUs's picture

I feel this exact way...except my 3 skids don't live with us full time and never have. 

Like you, I have been unable to have my own. And I used to be a college/high school teacher, so I know and actually love the age group. Still can't stand DH's brats and my skin crawls when they come over. 2 more months until YSD is 18...and then no more visits. I am near tears I am so happy about this.

If she had ever moved in full time I would have most certainly left. I almost left just having her EOWE and long weeks in the summer, Christmas, and Spring Break (oh...and whenever she just feels like dropping by bc our house is on her way home from school and she misses her Daddddeeeee.) 

Seriously. I can't stand having her gross, greasy body in my home and am counting down the days.