You are here

So tired of seeing her cater to her kids and treat me like an outsider.

BigMike's picture

I've been married to their mom for fifteen years. I have endured a constant life of paying the house payment, utilities, insurance, food, clothes, cars, gifts, trips and just about everything else. Anytime I've put in my two cents on raising her kids she quickly undermines it by telling the kids they can have, go or do whatever I have objected to. I tried my best to always treat her kids as though they were my own but that's hard to do when I'm not allowed to have an input on how they were raised. I kept thinking that it would get better when the kids got older and more on their own and she would pay more attention to me and less to them.
Her daughter is now 23, graduated from college (wife paid for all five years to get four year degree) and is married now. Her son is 20 and is going to a university nearby but rents a house next to campus with some other guys. She pays for the rent.
Until three years ago her ex (kids biodad) got away without paying any of the COURT ORDERED child support. This of course left me holding the bag to support her and her kids. Finally I contacted my State Representative and gave him all the bio-dads information and complained about Social Services lack of doing their job and enforcing child support payment. He is $103,000 in the rears on child support. They arrested him for failure to pay and he stayed in jail for 30 days. When they let him out the allowed the amount of child support he is required to pay to be reduced from $650 a month to $450 a month. Instead of offering to pay for any household expense or even give me some of the child support, she keeps it all and spends it on her and her kids.
She is a college graduate and had a good income up until a year ago when her company had financial problems and she got laid off. She has stayed on un-employment for over a year and I really don't think she is actually looking for a job.
Her son shows up at least once a week and she does his laundry for him. I have washed my own clothes the whole time we've been married because she said she didn't have time to do it after we got married. She treats her son like a king when he is here waiting on him hand and foot and making sure he has everything he wants.
The final blow between her daughter and I came a little over a year ago when I asked her some question about a job her fiancé accepted. There is no salary to this job and he is paid by donations he brings in after the organization takes an administrative cut out of it. She and her fiancé came to my house and told me if I had any questions to go to him and not ask her anything about it. That caused a big rift between us and she didn't ask me to walk her down the isle opting to have her brother do it. She also had the wedding that her mother paid for in her fiancés hometown instead of hers or the nearby city she lives in. As a result only a handful of her friends and relatives showed up at the wedding. I was told it looked more like a family reunion for his family and get together for his friends. I opted not to go because I have decided enough is enough and I refuse to continue to be a doormat anymore.
I know I messed up and should have gotten out of this hell years ago after I realized she was not going to treat me as her husband and equal to raise the kids. I didn't want a failed marriage and always thought things would get better. They didn't and never will. She will never put me before her kids and never treat me as a co-captain of the team. I'm too old to get divorced and don't want to risk loosing my financial security that I worked so hard for. I owned the house long (14 years) before we got married. The house is in my name only as is all the utilities. She has never made a house payment or utility payment. Her income has gone only to support her kids.
I know it's too late in life for me but hopefully if any younger man with no bio kids is either dating or married to a woman with bio kids and is treated the same as me they'll cut the losses and get out now. I've always worked hard and had a good income. My life without ever knowing her would have been a life of ease but I messed up by not setting rules early on.

BigMike's picture

Thanks. We have always had separate accounts. However, (there's always a 'however" or a "but") we also have a joint account that is funded ONLY by me. She writes checks to pay the utilities from that account but she has NEVER made a deposit to that account. I opened that account about eight years ago solely for that purpose. I didn't want to have a joint account with her when we got married because her and her ex had severe financial and money management problems.
I was an idiot to ever even dated her and definitely marrying her. I always thought it would get better and she would come around to us working together as a team and couple, putting each other first and taking care of the kids together. I see now I was wrong basically wasted my life and assets away.
I plan on seeing a lawyer to draft a will leaving all my assets to my nieces and nephew. At least then most everything I worked for will help my family.

SadFairy's picture

It's never too late until you are dead. You don't want to risk your financial security, in exchange for risking your health and sanity by remaining in this miserable situation. It's only natural to want a marriage to succeed, but is being constantly unhappy, skids who view you as nothing more than an open wallet, and being married to someone who doesn't respect you really a success?

PolyMom's picture

I would seriously throw her out on her ass. Like you said, you should have done it long ago, but if the house is in your name, and you owned it 14 years previous to the marriage, that is your asset not hers. Furthermore, she got her degree while she was married to you? Guess what? She owes you half the money for it. She better get herself a job. She can move in with her daughter and future son-in-law. Screw them.

needs_a_drink's picture

Well said! I absolutely feel for you, though our situations are slightly different but not significantly different. Perhaps it may help imagining yourself single (which I'm sure you've done) and thinking about your current life...in which world are you more happy or unhappy? Personally, I'd rather end up alone than next to someone I resent and regret making a partner. I'm not saying your going to end up alone, but it sounds like you're going to end up unhappy in the situation you're in.

Maybe it's time to completely step back, re-evaluate, and do something for you and only you. Take a long vacation alone or with friends but make sure it's without your wife. That might clear your head and allow you to make important decisions, whether it be making your marriage a happier one or to cut your losses and run like hell. I can learn from your moral...do I want my 7 years to turn into 15 the way things are now? Currently, absolutely not. So what do we all do? Maybe we're all meant to be some sacrificial being or a martyr for the greater good of our step-children (who honestly will probably turn out to be psychopaths because of their bioparents haha), or maybe we're a glutton for punishment and not smart enough to make different choices? Ugh it's a hard one!

onthefence2's picture

She is taking advantage of you because you have let her, but it's never too late to stand up for yourself. Hire a hot young maid to come in and do your laundry LOL

Rags's picture

Yep, great idea. I outsource laundry and housecleaning so I don't have to hear too often about how I don't help around the house. To me the house is just a box to keep us out of the weather and it is far more cost effective to pay a low cost laborer to deal with the cleaning and crap than deal with the frustration.

CaptainObvious's picture

No bios here. 28 in two weeks, Male. I have been trying to get my girlfriend of 2 years and her SD6 out of my house for a while now.

Hope this story gives me a boost to finally say enough is enough.

BigMike's picture

Good luck. It may be painful but believe me if your situation is even the slightest bit similar to mine you'll be far better off to get her out of your life NOW! I retired last January after 37 years of work. In my job if you are married more than ten years your spouse is allowed a survivor benefit which reduced my pension by a little over $500 a month. Then I have to carry Self plus Family health insurance which cost me $450 more a month than just carrying "SELF". When I die she will get a little bit under $3,000 a month for the rest of her life. Don't be me! Find a way to get her out of your home and out of your life. Then NEVER again even date a woman with kids. I'm sorry if that sounds mean but I am living in hell.

Rags's picture

Wow, yours is the poster example of why someone should look long and hard before marrying a person with children.

I am happy to say that my experience has been far different. My DW had SS when we met. SS was 15mos old. We married a week before he turned 2yo. We have been equity partners in life since we married including parenting the Skid. He is an only child in our family by the way but the eldest of 4 all out of wedlock spawn by 3 different baby mamas for the Sperm Idiot. Sperm GrandMa paid every penny of her idiot son's CS obligation for the Skid.

The Skid is now 21 and a self supporting viable adult serving in the USAF.

I would not tolerate your DW's behavior if I were you. Time to set up auto deduct payments for all of your bills and cut DW off from your financial gravy train. No access to YOUR income or joint income. Period. Time to grab her by the short and curlies and have the CS that is payback for YOUR financial support go in to an account that she has no access too and start recovering your expenditures over the past 15 years.

No need to divorce but it is time to jerk a knot in your brides tail and give her the painful lession on clarity regarding her treatment of you.

IMHO of course.

Take care of yourself.