You are here

In search of some feedback

Steparent85's picture

I'm looking for feedback on an issue. My fiancé and I are about to start building a house. We have been together for over seven years and engaged for almost a year. He has two children, a 17 year old girl and an 11 year old boy. The house we are building and can afford will have 3 bedrooms. We do not have any children yet and are not sure if we will. I understand that the kids need to have space when they come over to visit (they visit every other weekend) and that the 11 year old boy will be coming over on the weekends for many more years but his daughter is almost an adult and will be on her own (hopefully) going to college or getting a job so she can become a self-sufficient adult. I have family that comes over to stay from out of town and they typically stay with me. I want a guest type bedroom so that we can have company stay. Is it ok to not let his daughter have her own bedroom and stay in the guest bedroom and let his son have a bedroom of his own? In the past we had a 3 bedroom house and the kids shared a room as the extra bedroom was an office and had no bed. I feel like she doesn't need her own bedroom because she is about to be an adult and has never lived with us. She has her own bedroom at her mom's house where she has lived all her life. Maybe I'm just looking for some reassurance and comfort because I feel like this is somewhat unfair to her. I'm also afraid that she will want to move in with us because she has issues with her mother and if she has her own space in a new house then she will take advantage of that. I love his children but I also like our kid free life together...I think that's why we don't have kids and I definitely don't want an adult child living with us just because the can. I feel ugly and selfish for having this attitude about the situation and I am looking for honest feedback...thank you!

hereiam's picture

There is nothing wrong with the room being a guest room when she is not there.

My SD25 also came every other weekend and "her" room was her room when she was here but it was the guest/TV room when she wasn't. I decorated it tastefully but not with cat posters, as she would have preferred.

I would try to decorate both rooms neutrally so she doesn't feel more like a guest than her brother. She may feel it's unfair that he gets his very own room, while she gets the guest room. He will be coming over longer but it is still only every other weekend.

They will probably just be glad that they don't have to share a room anymore.

Stepped in what momma's picture

I-m so happy This is what we do I-m so happy both of the skids rooms are used as guest rooms when they aren't there.

Rags's picture

Since they are not full time or even near full time there is no need for either of them to have their own room IMHO. I would suggest that you make one of the spare bedrooms an office. Put a day bed in there so it can be used as sleeping space, the other spare room can be set up as a guest room or as a media room with a couple of day beds and used as a second supplemental sleep location if needed.

It is your home, you and FDH are the only regular residents so you set it up the way you want it. Yes, Skid sleeping space should be a consideration but dedicated Skid rooms.... nah... not necessary in the situation you describe.

IMHO of course.

notasm3's picture

Make both rooms guest rooms. When someone is there only 4 days a month they are only a visitor.

I grew up in an intact family where I lived full time. The room I slept in was never "my room". It was a room in my parents' home that I was allowed to use. When visitors stayed with us I could be booted out in a nanosecond.

TwoOfUs's picture

I agree.

I have 3 skids and no bios. We live in an adorable (paid for!) little cottage with 2 bedrooms and 1 bath. My husband and I both also work from home.

The space also has a large, full basement that was partially finished. Instead of buying something different and moving so the skids could have dedicated rooms to themselves even though they're only here EOWE, we painted the floor in the finished half of the basement, put up some curtains, room dividers, and rugs...a TV...made it real homey...and had all three kids downstairs. We made the other half of the basement my DH's office and I got the 2nd bedroom as my office.

As the kids got older, we put a daybed in my office and it became the OSD room EOWE while the younger two still shared the basement. At first, I hated sharing my office EOWE...but it made me get everything done, cleaned and put away ever 12 days or so...so I started to like it Smile Now that OSD doesn't come over for overnights anymore, YSD has the office / guest room and SS has the basement. The basement still has three sleeping areas plus we have a big couch in the living room that can be snapped together into a huge king bed. Skids love having so many places in case friends want to come over.

This arrangement has worked well for us. Now that SS is 18 and looking at next steps in life...may be moving for work, we're talking about redoing the basement again, giving it a separate entrance and kitchen unit, and turning it into a MIL suite / Airbnb (these are big in my area).

The point I'm making is...it's your house, and you know what you can afford. Don't let kids dictate that. Our house, while small, has really felt like a home to the skids thanks to some creative rearranging...but they've also never felt like we had some kind of skid shrine waiting around for them to show up Smile I think it's part of what's turned them into flexible, responsible near-adults. And we've enjoyed living within our means when it comes to housing, which has allowed us to splurge in other areas like travel, dining out, etc. The skids have benefited from that decision as well.

TwoOfUs's picture

PS -

I should also say. If you're feeling guilty toward the SD, I agree with other posters. Make both rooms multi-functional. Guest room / office areas that double as rooms for skids when they come over. That's not unusual at all in an EOWE scenario, and I think it's actually healthy for the kids.