MELTDOWN

Mrs. Understood's picture

OK, so the first and only "family" vacation is OVER. BUT, I am toast. Spent. Over it. Drained. And generally can't deal since I have been with the kids now for 11 straight days, 7 of them excruciating (as per first post). We STILL have the kids because we have to wait for their unemployed grad-student BM (who has never worked but survives on child support) to return from her yoga retreat in Africa (or someplace over there). The kids are really good but I can't muster up anything to give them and I am reeling from a miserable week. My DH just came into our room, where I have been all morning (it is noon here now) and asked if I was alright, and wondered if I could talk to the kids because they feel I am mad at them. I'm thinking "Sure, let me get right to making sure everyone else is OK and happy while I fade away here." Well, I cried. I just said this is a lot to deal with and I need a door to hide behind right now. I explained that I was spent and this all has been just too much for me. I told him I needed my space and quiet. I told him that he and everyone else need to drastically lower their expectations of me for now. He took the kids out to the backyard to allow me to claim my home back for a little piece and quiet.

I had sent him a link that listed 10 ways to support a stepmom, but he hasn't read it. I feel that no matter what I say to the kids or anyone, I am the bad guy. They don't GET that it is really hard to show up at kid recitals and stuff when you are maligned and despised to support the kids, and even though you are liked as a person, the stepmom part will not be embraced.

Putain des Palaces's picture

When biomom comes back, could you and H maybe take a weekend for yourselves? Even a stay-cation might help?

ldvilen's picture

Very spot on: "I have learned not to care what other people think if I am doing nothing wrong." Every SM needs to embrace this philosophy, because for the most part, everyone and anyone will think they know better than you. I would even go so far as to just say, "I have learned not to care what other people think" period. Because if you are a decent person, and the vast majority of us are, you will just naturally try do what is right. We all make mistakes. But, for the most part SMs are expected to be perfect 100% of the time or they are bad SM. No one can live up to that criteria, because everyone has their own idea (DH, SKs, etc.) of perfection.

Let all of that go. You are a wonderful person. You don't need to feel guilty over anything.

TwoOfUs's picture

Yeah. Don't feel guilty. Being a SM is so tough. Being a childless SM is even tougher. I am right there with you.

I agree that your DH is putting the guilt on you. I am sure he didn't mean to, but your DH is being a teensy bit manipulative and trying to make you feel guilty by pulling out the "kids think you're mad at them" card. My DH used to do that, too, when HE was actually the one who didn't like or understand my behavior. The kids were just fine. Unfortunately for him, I cared not a whit what the kids thought most of the time, but did care what HE thought. In his mind, I would certainly bend or change my ways if it was "for the kids" -- yes, bio-dads can be this blind about their offspring.

It wasn't until we both started talking about our expectations of each other that I really saw, and was able to communicate, that his expectations were way out of line. He finally got it, once he started realizing these were HIS expectations about how my relationship with his kids should be...not mine and also NOT the kids. He backed down, started supporting me, and everything has been a lot better.

ChiefGrownup's picture

If the kids are really good then I would avoid making a drama about needing your space -- just take it. Leave the house -- tell dh you are giving him alone time with HIS kids. Or just say you are busy this morning, you know he will be glad to have some time to enjoy them all to himself.

Then go to spa, movie, museum, girlfriend brunch, feed ducks at the lake, shop for a yacht, whatever relaxes you.

Or, say in front of the skids, who wants a trip to (insert fav kid spot McD's whatev)? When they all get excited say, "ok, dad, you've been elected!"

Follow up with "Sorry, I can't go - I've got this and this to do and anybody who comes home before x oclock will have to help me!" Dishes, laundry, etc. You don't have to actually do any of those things. When they get home and they are not accomplished, say, oh, I didn't get to that, you wanna do that one for me? They will flee and shut up. There will never be any drama about you being mad or not liking his kids or whatever.

Now, if the kids are great, who is maligning you? That's a separate issue and an important one.

Wow, that seemed harsh on first read. I reflected and tried to receive something constructive from your words because I am not a victim or whiner. I have been strong, caring, deferential, giving, etc. like most other SMs, and reached a limit after a first vacation. No offence, but I am not sure any vacation should be all about the kids regardless of whether the kids are bio or step. That said, I wanted the kids to have a great time and make good memories and put a lot of effort into ensuring the kids had all they needed and could want to be comfortable and happy, and there is no harm, in my eyes, to have also been considered in even a small way.

I felt bad about how I was feeling and wanted to connect with others who are also SMs any may have shared experiences, and this seemed to be a good and safe place. It was not my intent to offend you or anyone, so please pay no attention to my posts if you feel so strongly about them. I posted in the forum for childless SMs: are you one?

Disneyfan's picture

Hi Disneyfan, I am not sure who's vacation you are referring to, but on my vacation there were 3 kids (11, 13 & 15) and my DH and me hosted by 4 adults.

Disneyfan's picture

I apologize. When you said vacationed with his 3 and a family of 6, I figured the other family had 4 kids

CANYOUHELP's picture

Bless you Mrs. You have a doormat dadeee, He sits back and allows his kid to do anything-- because it is is easier than addressing the issues...Please stand up for yourself, take time for yourself, and after you have expressed yourself-- stop going anywhere with people--- who are ignoring you and your feelings. Do not expect him to change his behavior and begin protecting yourself.

It was YOUR vacation too.

TwoOfUs's picture

Sue often has good things to say...lots of common sense and wisdom to share. But sometimes I think she is way too harsh, and this is one of those times.

No. A vacation that you are helping to plan and pay for...taking off work for...should NOT be all about the kids. Why should it be? My DH would NEVER say this, nor would he let anyone else dictate to US that OUR vacation has to be all about his kids and only his kids. And, believe me, his parents have tried from time to time.

I am also a childless SM and understand that sometimes it gets overwhelming, feels unfair, and you reach your limit. That's OK. You told your DH that you need space, and that's OK, too. He gave it to you...which is a good sign.

The fact is, you are doing something for him that he can never repay. Even if you have kids together, those are his kids, too. But you are providing care, nurturing, and a home for children that aren't yours...simply because you love HIM. This is the reality that he needs to understand and appreciate. It's also something that you need to understand. Are you going to be able to make peace with this inequity in your relationship? Be honest with yourself. It took me quite a bit of soul-searching to answer this question.

misspengwen's picture

I completely and totally thought that post was harsh too! You are NOT a whiner or a victim. I am a childless SM too, and as someone else said below, this world has become WAY too centered on children. It's NOT always about them. Yes, we knew what we signed up for marrying a man with children. But that doesn't mean OUR life and everything about it has to be about keeping THEM happy.

I only have one 11 year old to deal with, and I have done the same thing as you. If I need to vent, scream, cry or whatever... then you better believe I'm going to hide in my room so I can have MY own personal space. Nothing wrong with this AT ALL!

Don't let whats-her-Sue-face get in your head. This place is meant for folks to seek advice, find common ground, and just vent if need be. I got the same kind of treatment with one of my first posts too.

You are doing a GREAT job. Rock on girlie!!! Blum 3

AlreadyGone's picture

I read your last blog and thought you sounded quite surprised over the itinerary, and massively overwhelmed, especially since the itinerary wasn't what you were expecting. LOL. Wink I totally understand. You assumed you were going on a 'family-cation' and instead, you went on a 'kid-cation.' That has probably happened to almost every SM out there (probably more than a few SF's as well.)

Isn't that the rub? It is called FAMILY vacation for a reason. It isn't, (nor should it be) all about just the kids. Kids are merely 'part' of a family, and not the whole. Welcome to the wonderful (sic) world of kid-centrica! Biggrin Fasten your seat belt Mrs., you're in for quite a ride! You came to vent, and some will do their best to enlighten you as to how a real SM should behave, and some who will openly chastise you based on their own narratives. Many will commiserate with you, because many have BTDT! Again, welcome! Best grow some thicker skin for both roles (SM and ST member.) Wink

I remember my first kid-cation as a SM. OMG, I wanted to go home within the first day. A call to my own SM got me off the ledge. (I really love that woman!) She told me that family vacations were for family and that it was perfectly fine to plan my own SK-less itinerary within the kid-cation. She told me not to let anyone make me feel badly about it because every human being deserved some alone time. Of course xDH and his family all treated me like a three headed monster, but I didn't care one bit. I had so much fun on my own, that xDH actually joined me for a few kid-free outings. Turns out, he had a blast too. From then on, family vacations were different. More like the ones I had as a child. More normal. Itineraries changed so that the entire FAMILY got to have fun. Not just the kids. Oh yeah, being on vacation doesn't mean the kids get to run wild either. I recall bed times (sure later than normal) but, regular bed times gave the ADULTS some time to wind down and relax themselves. After all, they're the ones who work their a$$es off to pay for those family vacations. Wink

Clearly this world has become far too kid-centric. Every time I walk out of my house, I feel like I've walked in to a sequel of Children of the Corn. LMFAO! Heck, whenever I turn on the TV (which I try not to do much these days, lol.) This is what kid-centric has gotten us... :sick:

Don't feel bad for feeling bad. Just know that next time, It WILL be different. Because you're going to plan it together, with open communication and compromise. If those two things don't exist, then it may be time to reconsider step-life. Smile

ldvilen's picture

Ha! "Clearly this world has become far too kid-centric. Every time I walk out of my house, I feel like I've walked in to a sequel of Children of the Corn." Of course, bio parents can complain about the kids all they want and still love them and no one questions it. But, if SM complains about the kids at all, she is evil SM and doesn't love them any more. Very hypocritical.

And, I'm actually shocked that some here think with you going thru cancer trmt. that you are still supposed to be el-perfecto SM. But, as I always say, BM gets an infinite number of passes, bio-dad gets at least a few, and SM gets zero passes on her behavior. Really, you have to learn not to worry about what other people think and go with your gut. Otherwise, you will be pulled in so many different directions, you will feel overwhelmed and then some.

TwoOfUs's picture

Actually, going on a vacation that I helped pay for and took off work for...and then having it be ALL ABOUT THE KIDS...that does sound like something to complain about to me. Very much so, Cancer treatment or no.

I think being a childless SM is very different from being a SM with children...especially a truly "blended" family where both mom and dad bring in kids from another relationship. While I'm sure that scenario has plenty of issues, they are DIFFERENT issues than the ones that childless stepmoms face. Specifically, childless stepmoms always face the challenge of feeling like the outsider in their own home...with no "mini family" of their own to fall back on. It's incredibly stressful, even on the best days. Now, add in Cancer treatment, 11 full days of skids and feeling left out, and a vacation where the host family seems to have taken every opportunity to confirm to the OP that, her absolute worst fears are correct, she DOES NOT matter in this family equation one iota...and, yes. That's a formula for a very awful time.

I do really wish that certain posters who truly don't get the childless SM thing would back off of posts in this forum once in a while. Not talking to you, Sue, as I typically enjoy your responses quite a bit. But others who are quick to judge without being quick to understand. However, I do think you are very wrong-headed in this instance...and I think it comes from a place of ignorance regarding the OP's situation.

Thanks! You get it! I felt very alone. The kids have each other, and the support of so many people home and away. I have my mom and sister who understand, and though my DH tries, he can't be objective when it comes to his kids. I really didn't matter and that doesn't hurt my feelings so much as being captive with no privacy or ability to escape sucked.

What is "OP?"

CLove's picture

OP = Original Poster.

Yes, I got immediately that you felt like the outsider, and wanted to be included as a PARTICIPANT. The other stuff (like bathroom sharing issues), they didn't really stand out to me as being a large deal, just more like "the feather that knocked the elephant down". The real issue for you is that you are simply not feeling very good, and are going through life-threatening illness, and that will knock anyone over. But I am wishing you a speedy recovery, from cancer and your vacation-that-wasn't.

CLove's picture

Yes, when I saw OP's comment about cancer, it seemed to me that these issues were more like the "feather that knocks down the elephant" kinds of things, a smoke screen for the larger issue looming overhead.

Thanks all, I understand more context is helpful. The couple and their adult children "adopted" my husband after his divorce. They are all kind and included me when they extended an invitation for us all to visit last year. I understood that their homes were large and accommodated many people, and the hosts were excited and planning our visit. They all visit our city regularly to visit their adult daughter and husband here, which is how I came to know them. The flights were booked before I had a surgery date and I didn't have a diagnosis until a week prior to leaving. I debated whether or not to go but it was suggested by friends and family that I needed the getaway.

I had shared my concerns with my DH and local host separately a couple of times (i.e. finding weekends to be a lot to deal with sometimes) and my need to have rest and alone time. I felt reassured that I would have it though I wasn't sure what was planned other than a few days at this place and a few days at another. What we didn't know was that we were captive because the homes were remote and the island too dangerous to venture out about alone. We were driven around but everything happened in a mob, including a trip to the mall. There were 8 people shopping together, and if I went into a store alone the other 7 would wait outside sometimes. I wanted to scream.

The food thing was weird, because the kids were all offered food first and there was a lot- but the kids ate a lot of what they liked and sometimes by the time it got to me there wasn't a lot left. I mentioned this to my DH during a private moment and he noticed and made sure I was looked after. He didn't have any control over the itinerary and the hosts set the "rules." I really felt that this didn't negate his role as parent to manage the kids, but that is another story.

I have talked this over with my DH who really seems to understand the effect all this has had on me supported my need to hole-up today. He took the kids out for the afternoon.

Obviously, had I known what I was getting myself into it wouldn't have happened.

ldvilen's picture

You don't have to explain yourself, you did nothing wrong. Like I said above, I have learned not to care what other people think period. Because if you are a decent person, and the vast majority of us are, you will just naturally try to do what is right.

Hang on to that, and if you don't want to go on vacay next time, don't go. You are your DH's wife first and foremost. IF BM is off in Africa trying to find herself, DH and others expect you to take over SM's role and be a mom to your SKs. In reality, this is DH's responsibility while BM is away. Considering what you are going thru, I think you did a great job, and, yes, vacays should be for everyone. If not and it is all about the kids doing and getting whatever they want, then you were basically expected to be nothing but a babysitter on this vacation, so I don't blame you for feeling the way you do.

Also, it is common for SMs to go to 'family' events and be treated poorly. People just assume SM is supposed to know that she is supposed to do everything she is told to do regardless of her own beliefs or feelings, and then people act like after the fact, "Oh, SM should have known better or should have asked, etc." No, SM was just going to these events expecting to be treated like a human being and have her feelings taken into consideration along with everyone else's.

Do what works for you. You have a good heart and that is all that matters. Decide if you want to go to events with DH, and if you do, go. If you don't want to take on that kind of responsibility without any authority, then don't go. DH can go by himself, if he wants.

ESMOD's picture

I didn't see the original post.. but from what I am seeing here, it is more the setup of the vacation that created the problem.

The OP was a guest of some people and she didn't realize how limited the accomodations really were. 1 bathroom for 8 people is a bit rough. We have a vacation place with only one bath and we had 6 people there once and it did require a bit of coordination!

I'm not sure where the vacation was but I am guessing if the island was too dangerous for people to venture out alone.. the kids obviously couldn't go out on their own which put them underfoot.

Sounds a bit like cabin fever with all those people around.

I get it, when we had my inlaws and the skids with us on a trip it was a lot of togetherness. I enjoy them fine.. but at some point, I like to get away from everyone too.

I also understand getting into a situation and then feeling a bit trapped.

We went to visit friends of my DH's once and found they had overbooked themselves and their friends were already staying in the queen guest room and we ended up in the twin bed room with the shared shower. We stayed 2 nights then went ahead and made plans to spend the rest of our vacation elsewhere. I'm sure they were a bit miffed that we left, but honestly, it wasn't a comfortable place to stay... so we went somewhere that was. In this case, it seems like there was no other option.

I don't think this is so much "kid-centric" with the exception that these people obviously are the type (like my inlaws) to let the kids eat first etc.. In the future, you will know how they operate and I would limit future visits to shorter time periods.. or make specific plans of your own so that you aren't hostage to only their plans.

ldvilen's picture

I always think the term "kid-centric" is another way of saying: Kids are permitted to act like parents, and parents are expected to act like kids. Reminds me of that one horrifying commercial I saw where the family is going on vacay and the parents just come into the living room and throw a pile of money on each of the kids' laps and say, "We're going to Disney." Kids grabbed the money and ran with no words or thanks, nada.

No rules = no respect. If anything, I wish people would think about what happens when these coddled little kings and queens enter the work force. It is a total hell. I guess it depends on what you value? If you value your child growing up to be an A$$ who will stop at nothing, lie, cheat, steal to get their way, then perhaps "kid-centric" works. If you value honesty and compassion and mutual respect, then for all practical purposes, being child-centric doesn't work at all, unless you are bent on raising little more than animals.

Really, AlreadyGone! Someone needs to make that their sign-off: "Every time I walk out of my house, I feel like I've walked in to a sequel of Children of the Corn."

The only glimmer of hope I have is that these kids will be in for an even bigger hell when they get older. Think of the children they'll raise? About 40 years from now I see some sort of mandate being put in place that anyone older than age 60, has to drink a poison and off themselves (a nod to Star Trek). And, SMs will have to drink a poison and off themselves at age 45. They'll be the only ones with that requirement, but of course everyone will go around saying that there is no bias or prejudice going on whatsoever.

AlreadyGone's picture

"No rules = no respect. If anything, I wish people would think about what happens when these coddled little kings and queens enter the work force. It is a total hell. I guess it depends on what you value? If you value your child growing up to be an A$$ who will stop at nothing, lie, cheat, steal to get their way, then perhaps "kid-centric" works. If you value honesty and compassion and mutual respect, then for all practical purposes, being child-centric doesn't work at all, unless you are bent on raising little more than animals."

We already know what's going to happen. Just turn on the news, when you see all the anti protesters, and the complete disrespect for anyone elses property, opinions, safety, rights, etc. You know what ails so many of these people. (Nothing against protesting per se but, there's a way to do it that need not be so vile.) Smile

AlreadyGone's picture

LOL. No further comment because I really don't know, and I don't think they really do either. Wink Just remind me of bratty children having tantrums to the extreme. Biggrin

I'm so glad I am not the only one who struggles with the kid-centric thing, NOT that I don't want the kids to be happy, but rather, further to your point Idvilen, respectful adults don't happen by accident. I get that it isn't my place to raise the kids, but I can help set examples and have certain expectations of them (i.e. don't enter a room with a closed door before knocking and that our room is off-limits). To me these should stick whether or not we are at home or someone else's home (I was beyond surprised when the eldest SS came into our room and flicked the bathroom light on at 2 AM, and the SD casually walked out of the bathroom in our room when I was about to change).

This isn't about my diagnosis, or having the expectation that it be all about me, or malicious people (because there was no bad intent I am sure), but my struggling with being trapped with people who catered to kids, and being on THEIR vacation, not mine without knowing beforehand (and I work hard to earn my vacation time). I expressed concerns at the outset and anticipated a little consideration is all, and I didn't get it. If it was as simple as me speaking up, I would have (I am not shy) but I was already the SM who they felt needed to be told that the kids are really, really good. The few times I did speak up clearly worked against me (i.e. help me with the dishes, chew with your mouth closed, stop drumming on the dinner table, etc.). The kids put on a pretty good convincing show when they protested anything they didn't want that inspired the hosts to feel sorry for them (i.e. at the restaurant they wanted to order but couldn't have the full rack of rib dinner with steak, or sit in the front seat of the car- I do not take a back seat to the kids). I just saw a different side of people and the kids that is hard to reconcile. I already feel better. Thanks for your insight, suggestions and support.

CLove's picture

Mrs. Understood - I have yet to take a real vacation with SO. We have taken a few jaunts here and there. When I suggested we rent a motor home and tool around the states, he suggested we take skids, and I said firmly, "no I wouldn't really want to do that..."

He hasn't really mentioned anything since...
Biggrin

Sounds like there is more to the story!

smomofone's picture

I feel for you. I am a super introvert, with anxiety issues and other mental issues and even at "family" vacations I need my space. My SO knows this. If we go camping, which we have with his entire family of like 30 to 40 people. He has a large family. 2 sisters and 4 brothers, he is the 5th son and the baby of the family. All his siblings have kids, some of the kids are even close in age to my SO and have kids of their own. I have little patience for kids as well. Last camping trip we took to Yosemite I refused to go unless we rented an RV. I told SO I don't camp but I would go with him if we had an RV where I could hide when it was overwhelming. Had we not gotten the RV I would have just stayed home and he would have gone with his family. No biggie.

We do a lot this way, If I know things will not go how I expect them to go, with kids that is what 80% of the time, then I just wont go. I'll plan some alone time for myself or go to my own family. His family is culturally very different from mine as well and very kid centrist. Most of their kids are bratty and throw tantrums to get what they want. I cannot stand kids like that and much less parents who allow it. So glad SD isn't that way, SO knows if she would be that way I would have been out years ago. Also glad SO changed his parenting ways. Our first year together was quite a challenge and I was out after the first 8 months. Only reason we are together now is because he changed his parenting ways and SD was 2 at the time and it was easy to get her on track with the new ways.

For me its ok he goes off with SD and his family on day trips without me or other events. Him and I do things on our own as well. Typically I make more than he does and plan and pay for our vacations. His mom tried to tell me I couldn't take a vacation without SD because it wasn't fair to her if she didn't go. I told her, that's cool, tell your son to pay for himself and SD's way and we will all go. She tried the well he cannot afford it so you have to pay if you want to go. I said, how about this, how about you pay for all 3 of us. She said, why would you just assume someone else(meaning her) should pay for your way. I said well gee IDK maybe because you just assumed I should pay for someone else responsibility as well. That shut her up quick lol

IF you plan on being with this man, who seams to me is caring enough to understand your needs as well, then do yourself the favor, stay home and tell him its their time to bond, then you and him go out on your own. Best decision we made for our family. SD loves her time with her dad, SO loves his time with his child, he and I get our own time together. SD and I do things together without him as well.

TigrrrLily's picture

I'm new here and I think a lot of people on the thread have made good points, even the ones that seemed a little harsh. I have a SS who is 13 1/2. I am luckier than most here because I have read some real horror stories about how they are treated by their step-children and my SS is an extremely well-behaved, polite, and generally very sweet boy. That being said, when we go on vacation with him, there are still rules to follow and it's NOT all about him. We plan things we can do as a family, we adhere to pretty regular bedtimes, and he doesn't have free reign to just do whatever. Yes, we want him to have a great time when we go away and we do make sure to plan things we know he will enjoy, but that doesn't mean that we let him run amok because we're on vacation. And, if I need some time alone, I take it. I understand that you were pretty much trapped not being able to get around the island much, but if there is one thing I have learned in the past 7 years of being a stepmom, it's to take care of myself. Even if that means going into a room by myself and closing the door for some peace and quiet. Thankfully, my husband understands that. Glad to see yours seems to be getting that too and it sounds like you need that more than ever right now so that you can rest, heal, and be well. Take care of yourself!!! Sending you lots of love and light for a speedy recovery. Smile