You are here

Jealous when fiance spends time with SD (almost 13)

Focusonthepos's picture

I hate this about myself but when my fiance is helping his daughter with her homework, cooking her dinner and talking to her I get so jealous and sad. I know how to integrate myself into the conversation but when it's just the two of them i feel lonely and like I'm not getting any love or attention. I would never say this or complain but it almost in my head feels like she's his second partner! I know it's not like that but it's a trigger for me to see them spending time together because I am insecure about how much attention my dad paid me when I was young. I realize where the feelings are coming from but I'm not sure how to stop this sadness! Went upstairs to take a bath for some much needed me time but I hate feeling like I'm sharing my fiance's time, energy and love.

I recognize this is 100% my problem and not either of theirs. K have no kids of my own yet to occupy my energy so that's why Im so focused on it and counting down until it's just the two of us!

THISAINTWORTHIT's picture

I don't have a stepdaughter so i can't be sure about this but could it be the "little wife syndrome" i hear alot of people talking about? Does she behave as though she's competing with you? Do you get the feeling she's manipulating your husband in some way to gain more attention? If so i wouldn't call that jealousy. If not then maybe you just feel the resentment of having to share your precious time with your husband with someone else. I wouldn't feel bad about that, after all you have feelings too. You didn't create that child with him but you have had to do alot of sacrificing for her, even valuable bonding time with your own husband. Don't be hard on yourself, your feelings are totally natural