You are here

Inheritance

Esmerelda's picture

For those of you who get along with your step-kids - most of the time anyway - would/should you consider including them in your will?

I'm not sure if I'll have my own biokids, but husband wants to leave stuff for them, which is his right, but I don't necessarily want any of my stuff to go to them, nor do I want anything of any financial or sentimental value to go to them that belongs to husband, they don't look after anything they're ever given. They have two sets of parents, so really they would be getting something from both.

We've both worked very hard for everything we've gotten. Husband's ex mooched off him and then off her various boyfriends and now is being supported by her now husband. Her side of the family also has a very rich bachelor uncle that has always propped them up.

I don't know what I should/would do. I don't love them unconditionally, but I've been around for half their lives now. I may not be going anywhere anytime soon, but what do you feel we should be doing?

rachel b's picture

I have had this conversation also with my bf, we live on his family land, but should it not be that if anything were happen to bf and regardless whether i have bio-children with him or not it is still my house i pay the bloody mortgage too, defo one for further discussions.

Aeron's picture

Whether they take care of it or not, if its DH's to leave and he wants them to have it, it's his choice. I don't know how old the kids are, which could of course make a difference in their level of responsibility, etc.

You are under no obligation to leave them anything, whether you have bio children or not, whether you generally get along or not. If I was not having my own, I would probably leave it to my one brother or his kid or I'd leave it to charity, but it wouldn't be going to SD. I, however, do not get along with SD and am not interested in leaving anything to someone who spews such venom. Perhaps that will change as she grows up, but I'm not banking on it.

You should do what is going to make you happy. Respect DH's wishes around how he wants his things left, but leave yours as you see fit. If you don't Want to leave anything to the skids, then don't.

oldone's picture

Hell to the no - little drunk boy SS28 is not getting one cent of my money. He's convinced that his dad "married well" and goes around bragging about it.

I am kind of well known politically but really do not have that much money. It's just in little drunk boy's mind that we are "rich" because we live in a paid for home (very inexpensive ) and can afford to pay out utilities and buy groceries on a regular basis.

Onefootout's picture

"nor do I want anything of any financial or sentimental value to go to them that belongs to husband"

If it's not joint property, then it may be up to your DH whether his kids get it or not. It all depends on what's in your DH's will. But you don't have to give anything of yours, certainly. Just make sure it goes to someone other than our DH in your will if you die before him.

thestephater's picture

"I would not leave the drippings of my nose to SD." ..........LMAO!

thestephater's picture

My DH paid a lot of money in CS, medical, schoolling, and further education, the works. He even supported SD's child that she had before marriage. As far as I am concerned they have indulged in all the inheritance that they will ever see. Sorry I know I sound nasty, but they are getting zilch.