You are here

Full time step kids

MidnightPony's picture

Hi all,

I've been with my partner for nearly 7 years and his kids have always had fairly significant time with him/us (starting with 2 days a week, then 3, 4 and now full time). He's a great dad and very supportive partner. Their mother has swung between saint and psycho for much of this which hasn't been fun for anyone, least of all the kids, but we've sucked it up and bent over backwards to keep things positive for their sake. 

Despite having fought tooth and nail to maintain control of the kids a few years back, including making my partner take her to court so she'd stop messing with our time with them (joke was on her, the courts gave him more days), she decided a few years back they'd mostly live with us for high school and then last year announced that she was leaving the state. We've had no say in this, but of course we're happy to have them here more.

So as of a couple of weeks ago I've become a full time step parent to a couple of kids who are really distressed that they've basically been abandoned by their mother and have also lost their younger siblings. Although their mother is crap at times, they still love her and deserve to be able to love her which we've done our best to encourage despite her best efforts to screw them around. She's also more or less blaming them for her moving which is total rubbish, it's naturally hit the kids hard and we're finding it hard to convince them otherwise. They're 11 and 12 so not super little, but still struggling with the complexity of emotions that they're having to deal with. They're also on the cusp of puberty and high school so really didn't need this.

I'm also feeling tired and overwhelmed - there is SO MUCH WASHING and they want so much attention and argh. I'm finding it hard to not be grumpy and short with them at times, especially since I butt heads with one of them when he's getting grumpy too. We do generally get along well, but this is a challenging time for everyone and I never expected to be in this situation. I like kids and always thought I'd have one of my own, but the older I get the less I feel inclined. I do try to carve out time for myself and balance their needs with my own, but it's not always easy.

We've lined up counselling for the kids already, but don't know what more to do. We try really freaking hard to be positive about their mum for their sake, but now also have to tactfully sympathise with them when they express their anger towards her.

Has anyone been through a situation like this before? Will it work out ok? Do they ever recover from this kind of abandonment? Do you get into the swing of this full time step parenting thing eventually? Or do you flee with the dogs (who have no washing or homework) and escape to a tropical island to live as a child free hermit (joking...mostly)?

Thanks Smile

tog redux's picture

Welcome - Where is your husband in this? Why are you the one bearing the brunt of increased labor and parenting?

Also, they can do their own wash at 11-12 - it's an important life skill to learn. 

MidnightPony's picture

I've lurked here for long enough to know that there's often a lot of responsibility thrown at the biological parent, but please refrain from going after him. He's great, etc, etc. I don't want to share a whole lot more about our lives as I'm painfully aware of how public this is.

I'm a big girl and if I wanted to complain about him and the kids in the context of housework then I would. That's also not the point of my post. I'm allergic to housework at the best of times so no matter how evenly distributed it is amongst the residents of this house it's impossible to escape the fact that it has increased. I'm also not working much at the moment (thanks Covid!) so do admittedly end up volunteering for more school runs and errands than normal. Under normal circumstances however I'd be the laziest one in the house because as I said - allergic to house work.

Now that's out of the way, can we please move on?

tog redux's picture

I'm not sure what you are looking for? Just validation that it's hard? Okay - yes, it's tough. If he is already helping as much as he can, and they are already in therapy and helping as much as they can, then perhaps your own therapy would help you cope. 

Not sure why you are so offended if you know our standard answers. 

MidnightPony's picture

Reassurance? Wasn't that clear? If you don't have anything to contribute it's fine, but I was careful to mention that my partner's a great dad. Surely that's enough and I don't need to explain in depth how he actually really is great?

It's not always possible to determine age by posts, but I would also assume that I don't write like somene fresh out of high school and given it's a nearly 7 year old relationship it surely has something going for it.

Stepdrama2020's picture

Tog asked excellent questions and advice.

By your response I can tell you are stressed. I would be too if most of the work fell on me and not the bio dad . I hope this gets evened out for you.

MidnightPony's picture

Hi SD, most of the work does not fall on me, I may have said (somewhat dramatically) that there was so much washing, There sure is, but it's not because I do it on my own, we all contribute. However is has unavoiably increased in proportion to the increase in time that the kids are here. Hence my comment. There is also more to housework than just washing!  

tog redux's picture

Well, you said SO MUCH WASHING, which led to my answer, but then you were upset that we focused on housework.  You also complained about having to parent more.  Yes, you said he's a "great dad", but many come on here saying their partner is an AMAZING dad, and come to find out, all he does is take them for visitation and the SM does all the dirty work. 

Lots of long-term marriages are awful, so that says nothing to me, as well.

Sorry for responding.  Might want to be more clear next time on what you are looking for and what you mean by "great dad".

Best wishes.

MidnightPony's picture

"Has anyone been through a situation like this before? Will it work out ok? Do they ever recover from this kind of abandonment? Do you get into the swing of this full time step parenting thing eventually? Or do you flee with the dogs (who have no washing or homework) and escape to a tropical island to live as a child free hermit (joking...mostly)?"

Too clear?

Aunt Agatha's picture

It's great you're so accommodating, but the kids need their father to be stepping up - not you.  

You are likely setting yourself up for future blame by stepping into the mom role.

Disengaging allows them to feel love and cared for by the parent that's still there.

Plus they can do their own laundry, and should be doing chores guided by their father.

MidnightPony's picture

He is stepping up, that's not the problem. I'm not stepping into the mother role, they have one even if she's a bit shit. I do my own thing apart from the rest of them quite often, but it is an inescapable fact that by becoming involved with a father I am inevitably involved with the kids even though I'm not trying to be their mother. 

They do help around the house. That is not the problem.

The problem is that there are 2 kids living in my house more than before who I'm quite fond of but things have changed and are a little overwhelming and they're having a seriously crap year for more reasons than just this which is making things hard.  

So, can we move on from blaming my partner and fixating on housework? Please?

simifan's picture

BM ditched SD at 10 to move 800 miles away & lied to SD about it. Told her she lost in court, which she never filed. SD had counseling, got clingy for a while & then blamed everything on stepdad. She refused to talk to or about "him" at all. She moved out of our home to BM's at 19, because she didn't want to go to school or work full-time. This move was blamed - even though exH presented it and it was a not only a joint decision but an expectation spoken freely about since she began high-school - entirely on me, the wicked step-mother. This moved lasted 2 years or so till BM up and moved again and they "didn't have room for her at the new house". 

Has she gotten over it, I don't think so. She is over the top with PDA with her girlfriend. She is still clingy. Nothing is still her fault. 

MidnightPony's picture

I'm sorry about your situation, it sounds ridiculously shit :( 

Perhaps I'm being naive here, but these kids (one in particular) would defend their dad to the ends of the earth and then some. They're both boys so maybe that changes things too? We all chat a lot and they do talk quite freely about their feelings and opinions.

Their mum has been extremely careful to avoid denigrating my partner as a) court docs forbid it and b) she knows the kids wouldn't stand for it. She's also lost a lot of credibility with them over the years, and this move made it much worse. They love her of course, but have been challenging her excuses for abandoning them as they know she's full of it, the 11 year old in particular has been unrelenting. But he's still hurting because it's still a really crap thing to go through for a kid. 

It's possible that if she came back one of them might want to live with her again, but she's really not in a position to poison either of the kids against us. And if she did succeed, well so be it, they can make their own choices in life.

advice.only2's picture

Has anyone been through a situation like this before? Sort of we got custody of Spawn at 10 because her mother was a drug addict.

Will it work out ok?
Maybe? It's not like kids or life come with an instruction manual or a crystal ball to tell us the future.

Do they ever recover from this kind of abandonment?
Who knows? I guess it depends on their personalities and how the situation is handled.

Do you get into the swing of this full time step parenting thing eventually?
Since I already had my own bios having Spawn full time it didn't add too much more work for me.

Or do you flee with the dogs (who have no washing or homework) and escape to a tropical island to live as a child free hermit (joking...mostly)?
I think people feel that way even with out skids in the picture.

MidnightPony's picture

Gawd, some people should never breed Sad I'm sorry you also had a rough time, is your step daughter doing ok now? Did her mum ever sort her shit out?

"I think people feel that way even with out skids in the picture."

Haha yeah...what's not to like about dogs really? Much easier than people despite their tendancy to vomit on the carpet and bark at things that don't exist.

advice.only2's picture

I think Spawn would believe she's doing okay. She works part time jobs, dates much older men who treat her horribly and sells herself online. Not exactly high expectations, but she choose to be a victim of her mother's addiction.
Meth Mouth is as far as I know still a drug addict, we never see her, but we hear rumors from time to time.

MidnightPony's picture

Bloody hell, poor kid. Sometimes there's only so much you can do I guess Sad The victim narrative seems powerful and very difficult to avoid passing down generations.

I'm very glad that there have been no drugs or serious neglect in our situation, I've often consoled myself and my partner by saying it could be SO much worse. Still, the kids deserve SO much better.

Evil4's picture

You're in a really tough spot because you are the SM and your SK's BM basically abandoned them. Those kids are going to push you away every which way they can because they're feeling horrible and thinking that since their own flesh and blood abandoned them, it's only a matter of time before you do the same.

As a daughter of an irresponsible mother, it was hard to hear people rave about her in order to try to not say anything bad about her. I felt minimized in what I went through. There is such a thing as over encouraging a relationship or raising hope for one with the BM when she'll likely never change. It's great that the kids are in counselling but you and your DH need to go as well so you both know how to parent children who were abandoned by their mother. Stop saying anything about their mother. Be neutral. If you keep "trying" by saying anything positive, it could feel to the kids that you see nothing wrong at all with what their BM did and that they have no right to be sad, angry, etc. The fact is that a mother like your BM will never change. The kids need to prepare for that rather than live with baited breath, so please stop with the "encouragement." If I've misundertood what you meant by encouraging, I apologize. 

There are ways to sympathize with your SKs' anger. Don't be tactful about it. Being tactful, at least in my case, made me feel minimized. I so badly wanted someone to say that it was OK to be fucking angry because of what I went through. I so badly wanted someone to acknowledge that what I went through was horrible and that it wasn't fair. Over-encouraging or being too tactful can be interpreted by the SKs that they're not being heard or understood. Not being tactful about your sympathy to their anger doesn't mean berrating BM. Also, the SKs will need to hear at least forty-million times that their mother leaving had nothing to do with them and that it was due to her own issues. That's not only OK to say that but necessary. You're not putting BM down. You're just saying that her issues are ones that resulted in her choices that affected some of her kids. Nothing wrong with that. In fact, the SKs need to hear that. But, yeah definitely get you and your DH into counselling so you can parent in a therapeutic way. That's what your SKs need now because being abandoned by your parent is a traumatic psychiatric injury that changes the game of parenting.

MidnightPony's picture

Oh Evil4 you are a gem, thank you so much for your perspective <3  I am so grateful for your words of wisdom, but also very sorry that you've experienced what my step kids are going through. 

I like to think that we're managing to allow their emotions to be heard and validated and striking a balance between being truthful and still allowing them to love her, but this will need to be constantly checked because they don't need her denying her shittiness and then us pretending that she's a good mother and everythinig is ok. It's not and they deserve to know that.

We've told them many, many already that they are not to blame for anything their mother says or does, that it's impossible for kids to cause a parent to move away. Even if they were the brattiest of turds (which they're not), no parent would just up and leave like that, they need their own reasons. My partner asked their mum to tell them it's not their fault as it would help to hear it from her and she started to but then went back to pushing it back on them just like she did before she left. We did tell them not to expect her to ever admit it though so they knew it wasn't likely. 

I'm going to save your words on my phone and re-read them periodically to make sure we're on the right track with how we're talking about their mother. I often feel very helpless and powerless to help these guys, but what you've said makes me realise that it's not entirely true.

I'll see what we can afford in terms of counselling or therapy for ourselves too, I know we need to be the best we can be to help the kids through. Although we have a decent public health system, mental health care is still expensive.

Puberty may prove interesting with these guys!

Thanks again, I hope you've managed to do some healing after what you went through, no-one deserves that kind of shittiness Sad xxx

JRI's picture

I'm 76 but could have almost written your post and it brought back memories.  We had my 3 SKs with increasing frequency then they all moved in, one at a time over a 9-month period.  The difference is that we had no court proceedings.  BM had a new boyfriend, she didn't fight for them.

I totally, totally get where you are coming from with feeling tired and overwhelmed.  I also had 2 bios here so that made 5 kids with 6 years from the oldest to the youngest, they were 15, 13, 12, 10 and 9.  

One thing that helped me, aside from counseling, was realizing my limits.  I had only so much time, energy and emotional bandwidth.  It seemed more important to devote that to the kids than housekeeping.  So, I took every shortcut possible.  Laundry: DH learned to do it and when it all didn't get folded, the kids sorted through "the pile" which was a chair where we put the clean, unfolded things.  Their messy rooms: I closed the doors and occasionally hired cleaning help.  Meals:  If someone didn't like what I cooked, they either ate a pbj or DH gave them fast food $. Whatever it took.  It was more important for me to feel calm and poised.  It was the most important thing for the whole family.

Will everything turn out ok?  Probably.  Ours are all in their 50's and have their own families.  Like all people, they are becoming more like themselves as they age.  Will they get over their feeling of abandonment?  Kind of altho sensitive OSS felt it most that she didn't fight for him.  They all kept contact with her altho she seldom saw them.  When she aged, she did better and was a good grandma.  Do you get into the swing of full-time parenting?  Thankfully, I entered counseling right before the first move in.  I had been somewhat disengaged before then but counseling urged me to engage more fully and it was a good thing.

I really feel for you.  It is a quite intensive thing.  I consider it the biggest challenge and achievement of my life.   If you can stand the pain, read my blogs for the ups and downs.   Good luck!

MidnightPony's picture

Thank you so much JRI! I've been fantasising about hiring a cleaner haha! It's one thing to feel overwhelmed, but another to be told that it's ok to feel it and normal in these sitiations, so thank you <3 

We're pretty good about downgrading the importance of housework here, and the kids are great about pitching in. But it's one of those things that's easy to get caught in and forget about what's really important. 

It must have been a hell of a journey for you with so many kids to care for so I'll definitely delve into your blog posts *acute*

weightedworld's picture

Aye! I feel for you. 

That abadonment feeling that is going on is a huge tuffy. My advice here is they have a lot of new feelings coming onto them that they dont' know how to process or what to even call them. Just as you do. I would recommend being open with them to a point. When it's a tough day, acknowledge it. 

Ex: boys are acting out and you have raised your voice - You know guys, it's been a really tough day all around today, I'm sorry for blowing up and this is why I'm frustrated. I know some days may be a challenge for you and some days are challenges for me. We are a team and we need to be there for one another even if it means giving someone space. I'm here for you and so is your Dad. 

Some times a little reassurance goes a LONG way. 

As far as cleaning.. hell I feel you! I have 4 under 7 myself. Laundry is EXHAUSTING. Ask them to help out? Team effort here.. I think if they were asked to do some of the house work and felt like a team it will help make them feel important and that they matter in the house. 

Good luck.

MidnightPony's picture

Thanks WW, that's a really helpful example of what to say Smile We try to do this already but will definitely be sure to keep it up! It's hard to know what the right thing to do is, and it's great to be reassured that it's effective in the long run. 

The kids are helping out, they're good sorts Smile I like them as people which is really nice.

Merry's picture

Stepfamily or not, raising kids is hard work. And preteens are a handful, whether they've experienced trauma or not. Add the craptastick BM and there's just no way your life is consistently peaceful. But I don't think you're asking for that.

What CAN you do to lessen your burden? Do you take time for yourself, get together with girlfriends (as pandemic allows), engage in a hobby, back off on the housework? Get away with friends or family for a weekend? Maybe you need to find something that will help you recharge on the one hand, and then decrease the energy drain on the other.

Teach the kids to handle their own laundry. They are plenty old enough for that. Do they have other chores? Does either of them cook or have interest in learning how?  As they get older they need to take on more responsibility so they have basic life skils and don't live with you forever.

If your DH is a good parent, and the kids are basically good kids and working through their issues in therapy, you're moving in the right direction. Just remember you don't need to be a superhero.

MidnightPony's picture

Yep they can cook and do help with laundry and other housework. 

We're definitely not expecting everything to be peaceful, but the chaos experienced by normal households would be nice! Haha Smile I do work on not being a superhero with varying degrees of success, it's good to be told not to be though.

mommadukes2015's picture

Abandonment issues are so tough. The best advice I got when we were awarded full custody of my step son came from the socia worker that did our home visit-Children-regardless of what has been done to them, will always want their mom. Don't take it personally-they are wired that way. Fully expect to never be able to fill that hole no matter what you do. In fact, I suggest not even trying to fill it at all. As a step parent you get a spot all your own and while it might not be as infallible as the mom hole, it's special all on it's own. Whatever those kids need you to be-a friend, a parent, a confidant, or someone who just lives with them-you get to be if that's what you want. And as far as mom goes....well we can't control other people. We can't make them see the things they need to see or say and do the things they should. Ignore her. You are not tied to her in any way of you don't want to be. After years of benevolent meddling I finally learned my lesson-my SO is capable of dealing with her all on his own. I don't need to be involved and in fact, it's often better I'm not. I tell my step son to this day, his mother loves him the best way she knows how and sometimes she doesn't love herself that much. I tell him he deserves better and while I'll never fill that gap I will always be right here if he needs me. And pushing 16-he's a wonderful, well rounded kid, and I'm so proud of him. I also make him do chores. Everyone in the family contributes. I do this because as parents or people in parenting roles if we do choose-it's our job to make functional adults. "Doing chores is about learning how to live on your own one day and I will not hve that boy grow up to be a burden on the woman who loves him. That would reflect poorly on me and I won't have it." -direct quote from my late MIL and words I work very hard to live by. 

this role and this life are what you choose for it to be, but don't get caught up in justice, there isn't any. Don't get caught up on "should haves" because they didn't. It won't matter in the end anyway-they'll always want their mom. Be you. Be involved or not as involved whatever works for you. 

((((hugs)))))

MidnightPony's picture

Thanks Mommadukes! I don't want to fill the gap their mother leaves and never have, they're really sweet about making me feel like a real person in their lives though Smile

I did originally try to have a relationship with their mother but soon realised she was far too toxic for my naive little brain to handle and I started ignoring her based on advice from a therapist. It helped a lot. My partner has always been the only one to deal with her, it's not my place or job.

We've told the kids that it's unlikely that they'll ever hear to truth of things from her so need to learn to be ok with things as they are, they won't ever know why she left but they do know that we'll always have their backs and be there for them.

MidnightPony's picture

Thanks so much for the amazing insights everyone, I have to head out for a bit and may not be able to get back on for a day or so, but I'm going to read them all and respond when possible x

Rags's picture

Kids "deserve" the truth and the facts.  You and DH are doing yourselves no favors nor are you doing the two pre-teens any favors by artificially propping up their fantasies regarding their idiot abandoning mother.

Rather than protecting their fee fees, you and daddy would be doing them a far bigger favor service by giving them the facts about their toxic BM and by integrating them immediately and fully into their new normal in your home where they have to do their own laundry, perform regular chores, and  are an integrated part of the family and the family routines.

As for your coddling of your DH.... that does not bode well to the quality of your marriage or for the outcome of your new integrated pre teen Skid dynamic.  He has to step up and bear the lion's share of the impact that his now full time failed first family progeny have on your family.  If he was as great as you think he is, he would have forecast the drama his elder failed family progeny would have on his wife, your home, and  your family and put steps and boundaries in place that would have mitigated the tensions and exhaustion you are currently experiencing.

IMHO of course.

Good luck.

MidnightPony's picture

Hi Rags, I've read your posts before and found them to be wonderful. I imagine given your opinion of my situation that you wouldn't believe me, but my partner is actually quite a lot like you. 

I'm not coddling him, I'm being honest. He's bloody great and the world would be a better place if more men were like him. Is this coddling? Surely after nearly 7 years if I still feel this way that's not coddling, but respect, gratitude and just plain admiration. I'm lucky to have found him (and of course he's lucky to have found me), he's 1 in a million and if he wasn't I wouldn't be with him.

I've defended him from those who would speak ill of him based on assumptions that are nothing to do with my words and if I've laid it on thick as a result that can't be helped. If my words have failed to convince people here that he's an excellent human being then there's not much else I can do.

We do give the kids honesty, they are absolutely integrated into this household (and have been ever since we moved in together) and they do chores. We have routines they follow, boundaries to be respected and a whole lot of respect given to them. We're not propping up any fantasies about their mother if we can help it, but it's something we'll be constantly checking ourselves on because it's very important.

I'm disappointed that it seems you haven't read my words well, but at least others have.

Rags's picture

Your clarification was very helpful in tunning me to the facts.  Thanks for that.

These kids are so fortunate to have you and their dad setting the example of  a healthy adult relationship and healthy family for them.

My appoligies for missing the  meanings of your words initially.

Thanks again for clarifying.

LittleCloud9's picture

Dear Midnight, 

I really hope you see this. I didn't read all the replies, but I want you to know that yes you can make it and it can get better. I've gone through a similar situation. Basically a few years ago in just 24 hours I went from being a backup stepparent in the background in a 50-50 custody arrangement to full-time parent. My SS came to live with us and his mom bailed out. She had a hidden substance abuse issue that finally blew up and ended with her in handcuffs. My SS was only 12, emotionally and mentally abused and a total wreck after his mom left. We got him counseling and for a long while our life was crazy. Being the stepmom with no other children I often felt that I was doing all the daily runaround work, giving so much of myself and exhausted. It often felt like there was no payoff no emotional compensation, nothing. I'd look in the mirror and tell myself I was doing the most thankless job in the world. We did the same dance, try not to bash mom but sympathizing with anger. It's painful.

but it gets better. Three years later my ss is happy, he's helpful, he's killing school, has great friends, and is an awesome kid. Sometimes he looks at me and will say "thanks for everything you do. I know you didn't have to be my mom, thanks for wanting me. I love you." 
It was worth the work and endurance. Stay positive. Get your own Counslor too. Vent in a private journal. Find a close friend who will keep things private. Talk to your husband about how you feel but let him know he doesn't need to fix it or change it. The two of you have to support and understand each other but not blame each other for the stress. Even with an awesome partner this will be hard, it's ok. Good couples and good families still have problems. Sometimes I would see my counselor by myself and sometimes my husband came with, both were good at helping us get through. It's not failure to have problems it's just life in this world. Negative feelings are ok. Experience and acknowledge them but don't let them have control. This is probably one of the most vulnerable moments of these children's lives. One day they'll appreciate that you were there for them and love you so much for it. it took a couple years for our family to really start hitting a stride and the trauma to calm down and the therapy to really work. Each day we made a little progress. Their mom rejected them, if they feel rejected by you it will crush their hearts. You have a chance to show them what normal can be like, how real love behaves. love isn't just nice words or flowery gestures, it's showing up day after day and doing the grunt work. It's being there for the unglamorous parts of life. In the end that's going to mean so much to them. Don't give up! but do get support and help. Hugs

MidnightPony's picture

Hi LC, thank you so much for your reply! It sounds like a very similar situation, albeit one that doesn't involve illicit substances or the law (as far as I know!). 

I'm glad it worked out for you and that your step son is thriving, it sounds like you and your husband really pulled together for him, he's a lucky kid :)  

My step kids have started counselling at school now which has been going well- there are still moments of sadness, but they're adjusting really well to being here full time and settling into more consistent routines. I'm going to look into counselling and suggest my partner does the same, it sounds like you guys really benefitted from it! 

Thanks again :) 

EvieLou's picture

If you have such an amazing wonderful partner and are in no way wearing any rose tinted glasses - then you are truly half the way there.  Life's not perfect, if you're committed to making the best of it (which it sounds like you are)  you will, but there will be bumps along the way, some bigger than others.  

MidnightPony's picture

Thanks EvieLou, no I'm really not kididng myself. He's not perfect, nor am I, but we try damn hard to be the best partners we can be to each other. We're both very committed to making the best of this situation and making sure these kids get the life they deserve and then some.

Harry's picture

Do it.  Take that time waster away from your schedule.  Take up some hobbies, or go to the gym. Something that gives you alone adult time.  Away from the kids.  To Recharge your battery's.     You can't change what going on, but you can create some quality time.  Date night. Hire a babysitter.  Go out to eat , movie,   Weekend away. 

MidnightPony's picture

Hi Harry, I'm not sure who the time waster is? But I have a lot of hobbies already Smile Many involve alone time as well so I'm managing that part pretty well. We're being sure to make time for us as a couple when we can, my parents enjoyed babysitting for the first time a few weeks back and are ready for more which is great. 

LittleCloud9's picture

One tip I really appreciated getting from my therapist was that kids will go through cycles with abandonment issues. Going to therapy at 12 is good but be ready for a second wave of anger when they hit 15/16. Teens hit certain developmental milestones where their understanding of responsibility and obligations to one's family or community deepens. This often causes them to look back at how they were treated with renewed anger as they see even more clearly how their parent let them down.*sad* I have seen this play out and am really glad I was warned. It will probably happen again in a few years or when my ss has kids. In his counseling we encountered my SS to not only talk about his feelings and experiences but ask his therapist questions about what he could do to cope with bad feelings. We tried to make therapy less about fixing anything and more about learning to safely process negative stuff. Even at 12 we would talk to him about the importance of not letting bad feelings sit in his heart so they don't poison all the good things inside. Like taking rotten food out of the fridge so the good food doesn't spoil. He was scared being in therapy meant he was broken or weird. Us going too helped ease that fear. He also felt better when he understood therapy wasn't about fixing him but supporting him and helping him learn how to be healthy emotionally. As he learned about things like identifying self destructive behavior and how trauma can impact people it helped him understand his mother's behavior may be about issues unrelated to him. Lots of time and listening will be what really makes a difference. There's no magic cure but a lot of slow steady building. You and your hubby are teaching them by word and deed how to cope with stress and be stable healthy adults. That's training they need regardless of what their mother does and it will help them their entire life. Remember that the hardwork you are doing today and tomorrow is bigger than the mom, it's more than just getting through this ugly year. It's your family, your future, the kids future and the future of their own families one day. The good you are doing today can really last. Yeah if mom wasn't what she is it would be easier and less painful. But when you really love your family, and you clearly do, I'm sure you were going to give your all anyway. It's a bad stretch of road but by no means a bad journey. Mom missed out on being a light in their lives, so you get to shine even brighter now. In the end it will be her loss. You and hubby have a chance to experience a deeper level of connection as you work through this and your bond with the kids too will grow more than ever. Stay positive and don't feel bad if some days you gotta cry or take a breather. Big hugs 

JRI's picture

Thanks, LittleCloud, very wise words.  I agree that this is a chance for a deeper bond with DH.  That's what happened here, too.

MidnightPony's picture

Thank you LC, I teared up a bit at the end of that. The 12 year old is having a bad week and everyone's a bit frayed emotionally, so your words really hit home. I was assuming they're going to have ongoing emotions about this situation, it's unlikely to ever leave them, but I hope that they can be ok with riding the wave of feelings knowing that they've been through it before and will be ok.

The rotting food analogy is a good one, it might make sense to him. Fortunately so far they don't feel strange about speaking to a counsellor at the moment, maybe that'll change as they get older, but for now they're really happy to spend time with her.

I'm so sad that these guys are hurting Sad I've honestly never met such easy kids, they're so accepting, kind and thougtul. Why a parent would walk away from any child is beyond me, but these two are really something special. She's just never appreciated them :(