You are here

Can't stand my stepson

Lonely mum's picture

So I joined this group just to vent and hopefully find some people who can relate to the sadness that is my life. My DH and I have been together for 11 years and I have known my SS since he was 3. I helped take care of him whenever my DH, then boyfriend had him over on weekends and when we got married and DH got full custody I was his other primary caregiver. Through all this I did my best to care for him as I would my own child and treated him well cz I believe all children deserve love and affection, even more  so when their BM's are off enjoying a second adolescence. Then last year the little SS starts giving me attitude in my house. Initially I ignored it till it got to a point where he was juts outright disrespectful and rude to me, constantly backchatting and disobeying instructions. I believe children need boundaries and discipline but he's not my child so I spoke to DH about it and he said it's adolescence and would pass. NOT. situation just escalated till he went on holiday with his mom, which he does every other holiday and he basically had an emotional breakdown with her, saying he hates living with us and I'm not his mom and I force him to eat vegetables and interact with my family and he can't stand us. Honestly when I heard all this I just wanted her to come get her kid. Don't need that negativity in my life and vegetables are good for you. I feel like DH doesn't support me at all. He says I take the disrespectful behavior personally and should just ignore it and he refuses to actually address it. It's driving me crazy. It's at the point where I prefer to be away on business and not at home so I don't have to put up with SS. The only thing I look forward to is seeing my BD when I go home and my SS is away on some sports trip.

tog redux's picture

Let DH know that he can deal with his teenager until the "phase" is over - that you are done doing any type of parenting. Then focus on your own life and happiness. Be civil and pleasant but let DH handle everything to do with his son. 

This is why it doesn't work for a stepparent to take over as parent. When they are young, they will accept it, but when they get older, they turn on you.

NeverBirthedEither's picture

I'm new here too. I feel lost and useless when it comes to my 20 year old SS. Mum treats my husband like a wallet, has for longer than the 10 years I've been around. SS treats dad the same. If he can't get a hold of dad (within minutes of messaging) about school fees, SS will contact me. But dad's birthday or father's day.... Nothing.