You are here

boyfriend's children not allowed to spend time with me after 4 years

stresscadet's picture

I have been living with my boyfriend for just over 3 years. He has 5 children (two adults who are no longer living at "home")
I meet him shortly after he had separated with his wife and we have been together ever since.
Although he had officially separated and asked for a divorce she has not granted it (according to uk law, 3 years separation both parties have to agree but after 5 years consent of the other party is no longer needed) so we are counting down the remaining months before a divorce can be formalized.

my boyfriend and his estranged wife are english and divorce proceedings will take place in england but i live with my boyfriend in san francisco and his children live with their mother in los angeles where he spends just over half of his time.
she allows him to see the children that live at home (ages 8, 13, 16) every other weekend .. (or every weekend in the rare months she is feeling generous) the children really want to see their father more but they dare not broach the subject with the mother because it upsets her too much

every summer the family (my boyfriend his children their mother) spend a couple months in london. fortunately as i am artist i am able to spend the summers in london with my boyfriend as well.
his adult children go to school in glasgow (ages 21 and 22) but they also come to the london in the summers.

as for adult children- they have meet me, we have spent a good amount of time together. the trajectory has been that they hated me before the meet me, they meet me, we got along some what there was some peace, and then they decided they hated me again. they have threatened violence and have told their father that they forbid him from having a child with me. they have told me on a couple of occasions that they hope my womb is barren. in other words very bratty emotionally unstable girls. i've decided to keep my distance from them now. when we have to occupy the same space i am civil but no longer try to make an effort with them as it just ends up blowing up in my face.

the middle child does not give anyone grief about her father and i's relationship but she refuses to meet me or acknowledge that i exist (is that normal? perhaps so..?)

the youngest two siblings have meet me on only 3 occasions and have from what they have told their siblings and parents and family friends they "really like me" I've been very cautious with them. careful not to push myself on them or try to influence their perception of me.. let them come around to me if the wish too. and they have much to their father's relief have been really sweet . wanted to accept the situation and adapt.

the problem is when their eldest siblings and also their mother most especially hear them recount favorable things about me and the time spent with their father and i they get extremely upset. their mother cannot contain her displeasure . it is a huge source of depression for her and she becomes cold and very distant and this of course worries the children tremendously. it makes them feel guilty about wanting to come to terms with their fathers relationship and new partner

my question is - what the hell i do ?! we have tried are very best to be gracious and sensitive but end of the day the young children are suffering. they are not seeing their father enough and as much as they love their mother they feel victimized by her depression.

has anyone been in a similar situation? the mother hates me hardly communicates with my boyfriend and the adult children antagonize the situation further. what if anything can be done?

stresscadet's picture

I don't know the exact particularities.. they haven't lived in the US for that long and all of their tangible assets are in the UK (and she she says if/when she will divorce it will be in the uk because she stands more to gain in that system? He doesn't want to push her further because she is emotionally unstable and he worries about what sort of affect it might have on his kids to be around a very very depressive mother. No one want's to take this kids away from the mother of course.

stresscadet's picture

And then what will happen if/when I have a child of my own. I fear the mother and adult children's craziness. I literally am afraid of what they might do.

lintini's picture

I have a question for you...why are they taking vacations as a family still to London?? I wouldn't be okay with this at all...You are dealing with a lot here.

stresscadet's picture

Their mother's family lives in the UK so they traditionally spent the summers here. And their father grew up in london and has a home in london as well. And if he were not to come here 3months would pass before he were to see his kids and thats more time then he wants to pass as he will miss out on a lot i guess.
Of course it means that our summers are in a large part dictated by the children and their mother.

stresscadet's picture

They have made threats that they will physically hurt me to the extent that i will miscarry. first I thought it was just angry banter but they have said it enough times with such venom that makes me very uncomfortable. on of the children lashed out at me in a drunken fit of rage. tried to punch me in the face and tear my clothes.. not normal i don't think...

snowboarder812's picture

I do not see any reason you should be putting up with all this non-sense. If at anytime one of my kids did any of that shit, It would stop!! there is no reason you should be treated like that. Your boyfriend needs to grow a set of balls and start dealing with his EX and his kids. If he truly wanted to marry you he would. If he doesn't you should run cause the drama then will just get worse. and if you guys ever do get married then it will become a strain on your marriage. That is also not a stable household to the sounds of it to raise a baby. A baby needs stability and comfort and I see none of that here. If your worried and paranoid all the time that will have an effect on the baby. Have your boyfriend grow a set of balls and get things rolling. If he doesn't say bye your done cause no one needs to go through that kind of abuse by anyone for any reason!!!