You are here

Another Christmas without skids... and SO

epiphany's picture

Everyone's relationship is different. The truth is I've not yet spent a Christmas as a family with my SO and her kids - that's five years we're talkin, three of them all living together. I go to my parents house with my sister (who is single) and we have a very quiet, relaxing Chrimbo there, just the four of us. I usually stay for a few days, maybe meet up with some old school friends. I love it.

SO invites her family over, so it's a crowded house. She also loves it. I just can't ever see myself being a part of that, at least not until the kids are no longer kids.

Christmas is like steroids for kids. You can see their little heads getting close to exploding point as the big day gets nearer. And when that bomb goes off, I want to be a million miles away. The thought alone of being stuck in that crazy house on Xmas day sets my anxiety off. It would be like a horror movie version of the National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, where Sparky's G-rated nervous breakdown would quickly progress to an NC-17 massacre involving the turkey carver. Leg anyone? Sorry, that was probably a bit too close to the bone (haha...hmm).

It's times like Christmas that remind me - I just don't have much interest in "kid stuff". I don't feel their excitement. I don't particularly cherish the sight of their eyes lighting up when they open a present. I don't indulge in the fantasy of Santa Claus.

Now before you say it, no, I'm not the Grinch or Scrooge. I love Christmas and don't want to take it away from kids. In fact I want to give it to many more kids who sadly get nothing on that day. But I just don't want to be AROUND kids on that special day. I want Champagne in the morning, cigars and whisky in the evening, adult conversation, adult jokes, adult drinks, adult games and adult movies (both kinds!).

I guess when you don't have kids, Christmas means something completely different. In my humble opinion, it's BETTER!!

Peace, love, and appropriate use of the meat carver, to you and yours this Yule.

Stormyweather's picture

Nothing wrong in going your separate ways as long as both of you share the same idea. Where it becomes a problem is when one of you wants what the other dosent.

Only until then you examine if the relationship is for you. If you both are on the same page... Nothing's wrong in my opinion.

And I totally agree with where you are at. My girls are adults now and my DH has his three but who act all entitled and I hate it so I won't be spending Christmas with them either.

anothermom's picture

LOL, I loved reading this! I've been dreaming of Christmas when my kids are adults and there aren't any grands. For now I have adult Christmas parties.
IMHO, IF I didn't have any kids (by choice not fertility issues) there's no way in hell I would be in a serious relationship with a parent.

HappilySelfish679's picture

awesome ! I am spending my Christmas at my vacation home in Canada, while hubby took his kids to see their grandfather in Europe. LOVE being able to re-charge, the quiet solitude, long baths, great movies, good books, good food !

I will be ready to tackle anything the new year will bring and look forward seeing hubby, breaks from each other are great. Beats family drama with skids and ex calling day and night... i am happy.

Aniki-Moderator's picture

I have always loved Christmas. What I don't love is the greedy entitlement the skids have. It's all about ME ME ME and HOW MUCH DID YOU SPEND ON ME ME ME. And any time money is spent, PrincASS16 ALWAYS gets his knickers in a twist because the same amount of money is spent on PigPen13. PrincASS thinks this is SO unfair because he is 3 years older. What he cannot seem to get through his fat head is that he was receiving the same amount as his 2 OLDER sisters before PigPen came along.

Then there is the fact that DH will have to tell PrincASS to thank his grandmother and me because PrincASS is a jacka$$ with no manners.