You are here

Wonder if this is hard to take

Disillusioned's picture

Sometimes I wonder how DH's eldest daughter deep down can handle the fact that SGS, her son, so obviously adores the woman she has despised for so many years, her step-mom that is me LOL

Initially she refused to allow SGS to call me Grandma and that was totally 100% fine with me, she received not only zero resistance to that from me, but I myself began referring to me by name to SGS and then boom - as soon as I thought that was all settled and done and she could see I was completely onside with not being Grandma to SGS, she suddenly starts referring to me as Grandma to step-grandson!????

Then she says and does all sorts of things that make it abundantly clear she is pasing SGS against me, trying to use him to hurt me, and generally just trying to stir up shit as usual

As always, I keep a calm cool and non-confrontational head. I go along with everything not reacting to anything she does, making sure not to pursue a relationship with SGS, but always responding well to when the child wanted to be around me.

Now, he is almost four and just won't leave me alone whenever we are in the same space Smile a real cutie who even DH gets sort of jealous of how much SGS prefers to be with me

DH's daughter is not as obviously pasing SGS now, but she still doesn't seem to be encouraging a relationship either.

I saw a recent picture DH took of when we were all together. SGS was 'whispering a secret' in my ear his newest faze LOL, and DH had snapped a pic of his daughter next. The look on her face in the picture....it was almost disbelief on her face.

So I wonder, is she in total disbelief that her precious wonderful child who is not a mommy's boy at all, clearly loves me and wants to be around me?

Must be a hard pill for her to swallow

Disillusioned's picture

That is really sweet notasm! I hope my SGS remains close to me, I just adore that child right back Smile

TwirlMS's picture

I'm signing the Christmas tags "grandma & grandpa" this year and I don''t care if my two adult stepchildren have a problem with it.
Only the oldest step grandchild has any memory of her late grandma (DH's first wife) and the other two have only known me as DH's wife, They were just toddlers and babies when she passed away four years ago.

My own grandchildren call DH "grandpa" so I'm not about to sign just the steps gifts "Grandpa and Twirl".

Knowing SD34, she will have a problem hearing that, but I mean no disrespect to their late mom, it's just the practical realilty since all of our blended family will be together at our party opening presents.

At least I don't sign the adult step children's gifts "mom and dad". I sign all of the tags to the adults "DH and Twirl".

TwirlMS's picture

In the case of Christmas tags, I'm looking for simple uniformity across the board. We have a blended family of eight grandchildren ranging in age from 3 months to 11 years old. Each grandchild gets 5 gifts, that's 40 gifts to wrap for the grandchildren. Only the 11 year old has ever known DH as someone other than my husband.

I don't want to be a Charlie Brown that makes a wonderful holiday like Christmas and turns it into a problem. I'm sure the grandchildren won't mind, they just care what's inside the packages!

The other option is signing the tags "Santa and Mrs. Claus".......but I don''t want to perpetuate that myth.

The parents of the children should have asked me what I prefer to be called, but they never have. I think it's disrespectful for children to call older adults (in our 50s) by our first names only. Maybe "Grandma Twirl" would be appropriate.

What I'm thinking, as I sit here wrapping, perhaps I could forego nametags altogether and just put the child's first name on the top of their stack with matching paper. They'll automatically know who it's from. Big block letters from a craft store.

Funny how I have to go out of my way to avoid stepping on any toes from the adult steps.

TwirlMS's picture

The gifts are all wrapped and under the tree. The tags are left blank on the FROM line. I just don't know what Emily Post would say.

I'm still debating even now at the 11th hour, over something as small as a Christmas tag.

Maybe if I put an abbreviation....... Gr. D & T (I'm thinking how silly this is to worry about it).

Last year I signed the gifts Grandma & Grandpa, but I sensed the adults were not receptive to that.

TwirlMS's picture

Thank you! After wrapping 40 presents for the grands (step and bio) I think I've earned that title. (In more ways than one) : Blum 3

I'm not taking someone's personal name. Their other set of grandparents use it too, and they are used to sharing the title. Smile

hereiam's picture

My tags are blank, also!

My SD and her 2 kids come over on some random day to pick up gifts, so it's obvious who they are from, anyway, as we hand them right to them.

I want to just put my name but my husband frowns on that.