You are here

What's that other woman doing in my life?

godess-clueless's picture

After reading many of the reactions that SM's feel they get from BM's a light went off in my head. I never considered that the "Don't parent my child because your not the mom" attitude could extend even farther. My DH and I married just befor he retired 13 yr. ago. Both with adult children .None living at home. He and ex divorced over 30 yr. ago. He did have 7 illigitamate SGK's. First yr into our marriage the police and childrens service were involved with an incident and I took in his daughters 11 yr. old son. No one else stepped forward to rearrange their life to accomidate the child. He did well ,improved his grades ,well behaved and returned home after a yr. I was grandma, until he walked out the door. Then never heard from mom or the boy. Two yrs. after the boy went home I recieve a call from police and childrens service. Some one needed to take either him or the 5 yr. old sister because they could not remain together. No one from the family was stepping forward. Once again I took on 24/7 raising a child for a yr. Again it was me who paid for and sat thru psycholgist visits, parenting classes with the mom, and hours of caseworker visits from childrens service. She returned home with mom. Never saw mom or the child after they left. My DH did go to visit on his own a few times. They lived 20 min. away. And after 2 more yrs. I asked why they never visited us. I was informed DD felt that I wanted and tried to take her child. AT this point I have disengaged. But this has it's own set of problems. The occassional contact between DH and DD's is by his cell phone and his going there to visit. Ex and DD's all rent apartments in the same large house. Did not take long before DH was telling me I was the problem. Idid not like his DD because I could not KEEP her children. At that point I told him I did not see HIM sitting in any of the court mandated psychologist, parenting or children service sessions that were needed to return the child home. And DD could have hastened the return if she would have fulfilled her required obligations instead of doing nothing the first 8 months. ALSO NO 54 YR. OLD WOMAN WANTS TO GIVE UP THEIR TIME ,FREEDOM AND FINANCES TO TAKE ON CHILD REARING RESPONSIBILITIES FOR KIDS WHO ARE NOTHING TO HER. Thankyou would have been nice but to be ostrisized by all of them was hurtful. The saying 'No good deed goes unpunished" and "What have you done for me lately" seems to ring true in this case. Resentment that "I" the other woman who was not family parented "their" child seemed to hit a raw nerve. I often wonder if anyone stopped feeling slighted long enough to consider what would have happened to the children had I like the rest of the family members been unwilling to inconvenience myself.

skylarksms's picture

I don't know if I would be able to continue a marriage if that was the way my H felt about my efforts and generosity in those situations.

I'm sorry you are going through this.

godess-clueless's picture

SKYLARKSMOM- BELIEVE ME I HAVE QUESTIONED MORE THAN ONCE IF IT WAS WORTH WHILE. NOW AT MY AGE, I NEED THE THE PERKS THAT COME WITH MARRIAGE.LIFE INS. dhPENSION, MEDICAL. AND I DO LOVE THE MAN JUST DO NOT CARE FOR HIS CHILDRENS ACTIONS, AND AT TIMES HIS ACTIONS. I DISENGAGED AND HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY OF THEM. THEY DO NOT REALIZE THE SGK'S MISSED OUT ON MANY THINGS. I WAS ALWAYS BIG ON TAKING YOUNG ONES TO DISNEY ON ICE, ELABERATE HOLLOWEEN PARTIES CHRISTMAS PARTIES, TRIPS TO DC, COLONIAL WILLIAMSBURG. OH WELL THAT IS NOW RESERVED FOR MY GKIDS. ONLY A FEW TIMES DID THEY ENJOY THESE THINGS BEFORE THE CUT OFF HAPPENED. WHEN YOU BURN YOUR BRIDGES THERE MAY BE CONSEQUENCES LATER.

Ssamantha's picture

Wow...The epitome of my pet peeve..ungratefulness.

I feel sorry for the kids that they are growing up in this situation, but the next time child services calls, I would say NO. I imagine everyone would have a problem with that too but so what. I would ignore DD and be happy that you don't have to deal with someone so trifling and I would have a serious talk with DH. His opinion should be the only one that matters at this point. He needs to be seriously straightened out.

Rags's picture

I admire your kindness to your GSkids. Unfortunately with toothless morons like your DH's spawn, as you have already identified, no good deed goes un punished.

Next time, let the system take the GSkids and when they all come whining to you begging for your help tell them "the last time I helped I was accused of trying to take your children when what I was trying to do was help your children and help you. Fix this one yourselves."

Not to be a master of the obvious but, your DH seems to be much like his spawn. Your Skids obviously did not fall far from your DHs tree.

Sometimes the only way to get the message to those that need it is to let them feel the consequences of their actions. They obviously can't listen or learn so let them feel.

Good luck.

MamaBecky's picture

I totally agree with Rags on this one. Next time (and we know there will be a next time) although I'm sure it will be tough because you obviously care about children, you are going to have to say no. When they gasp and proclaim "How could you!" remind them that LAST time you helped them you were not appreciated, they obviously didn't like that you had the children, and you wouldn't want it be construed that you are trying to steal someone else's kids. They should be tripping over themselves showing thanks to you for preventing their children from going into foster care! Your DH's daughter should be showing you gratitude for stepping up and helping her when you had no familial obligation whatsoever to do so.

wicked's picture

I'm somewhat of a rescuer, and it sounds like you did exactly what I would be tempted to do. But I think it's way better to follow the spouse's lead in how much the two of you will be involved with spouse's offspring. Do not become more involved than spouse unless you go into it with your eyes wide open, knowing that all your sacrifices could very well be resented or forgotten in the end.

hismineandours's picture

Your dh is obviously in denial about what losers his kids are. Amazing that he would rather blame his obviously very giving, kind wife than see their faults.