You are here

What Would You Tell DH's Next Wife If You Could?

MissTexas's picture

This is strictly hypothetical. I am not insinuating in ANY way, this is what's on the horizon for any of us.

I'm just curious to know what tidbits of advice you would impart to DH's next wife, should you have a crystal ball, and be able to look into the future.

SacrificialLamb's picture

That the SDs will pretend to approve of you with the ultimate goal of getting you to trust them, all while undermining you to DH. 

That they will ramp up their poor behavior in a few years when they become impatient that their tactics have not driven the new wife off yet.  

That OSD is the most beautiful woman in the world, the most special person in DH's life - if you don't believe it, just ask her.

That DH is scared to death of OSD and the punishment she dishes out when she does not get her way, and that the wife will be sacrificed as a result. 

And never ever will a wife be part of OSD's family.

CANYOUHELP's picture

Agreed.....I could have written the one above by SL,

sandye21's picture

You know, I really wish that I had talked to DH's wife before I got married to DH.  I am sure I would have dropped his a$$ prior to making any commitment to him.  Can you tell he is on my sh*t list today?  That is because a situation came up AGAIN yesterday where a man accused me of something I didn't do.  In fact, DH was present at the time I was supposed to have done the dastardly deed, he knew I didn't do it, and he stood silent while I had to argue with this man.  He could see I was upset but did nothing to come to my defense.  What really pi$$ed me off was that the last time this happened I told myself if it ever occurred again I would divorce him.  And here we are - still.  I'm stuck with a spineless a$$hole.  He just goes on with life and shies away from any discussion about it.  I am SO disappointed in myself!

if I were to have a conversation with DH's future wife I would advise her to do a complete background check of DH before he fills her ears with half truths and convenient omissions of important personal and financial information.  I would suggest she do a pre-nup.   I would tell her that DH is a coward.  Any insinuation that he is otherwise is a down and out lie.  I would ask her to not marry DH until she faces a situation where she requires his support and carefully observe him silently shrinking into the background as she attempts to verbally defend herself to hostile person.  (He did this yesterday!)  I would ask her to attempt to have an intimate conversation with DH and carefully monitor his discomfort level.  I would warn her of the same thing Sacrificial wrote about the fake approval of you by SD, followed by rudeness beyond your imagination which unbelievably gets worse as time goes on.  I would also advise her to tell DH to cut the B.S. and get specific when he starts relating SD's vague accusations of 'being uncomfortable' or "not seeing" something that he wants to blindly ignore.  I would tell her to get used to watching him doze in and out on the couch instead of displaying affection.  Then I would suggest to her if she sees any of these things to run for the hills!

2Tired4Drama's picture

Your DH sounds like quite a wimpy piece of work.  I know, because I see those same traits in my SO.  

I am not sure where it comes from, or why these men continue to do it, but conflict-avoidance is a symptom of ... something.   In my SO's case, he has a very domineering and combative mother who ruled the roost and a father who was always relegated to the backseat without so much as a whisper.  I am assuming this was the fertile ground in which SO learned to be a doormat.  

Yet I've also thought that maybe his mother had to become the fighter because his father never would.   I don't really know - that goes back to their beginning when their relationship was developing.  Perhaps his mother held a lot of resentment over the fact she always had to take up the battles - whether with neighbors, merchants, family members, disciplining the kids, etc. while his dad was (comfortably) able to ignore it all and pretend it went away so he didn't have to deal with it.  

Sounds familiar to me.

My own personality tends to be one of get along with others to a point, then fight if you must.  This also was ingrained in me by my parents - both of them were pretty magnanamous but would fight like pit bulls when pushed or when confronted with something that was wrong.  And in our family, we knew our loved ones had our corner if we needed to put our dukes up.  We are also more open about our faults and at least admit to them.  If one of us is willingly getting ready to step on a landmine, you better believe that the others will speak up about it.  Maybe that is why SO was attracted to me - he knew I was a fighter and would have his back.  

The saddest part is that I now know he is incapable of doing the same for me. 

I had a situation at work which was essentially professional terrorism and caused me much pain and trouble for several years.  My SO knew how wrong it all was and saw how distressed I was about it.  But never, not once, did I see any outrage in him that someone he loved was being mistreated so badly.  At one point, one of the perpetrators actually got PHYSICAL with me at work and it had to be reported.  Still - not a peep of anger from my SO other than a shrug and a shaking of his head.  

Not many other men I know would allow their wife/girlfriend to be physically shoved around at work without saying something.  My SO is good with the intellectual or logical side of things but that's the extent of it.  It was at this point I realized that he doesn't have the guts to stand up when he really should.   And that includes with SD - she treats him horribly yet he won't say anything to her about it.  Complete non-confrontation. 

Even when he should be fighting FOR HER, he won't.  She married a gold-digger who is now quickly going through her inheritance but he refuses to even have a conversation with her about it.  Intellectually, he is right.  SD is an adult and if she's so stupid to let her husband blow through her money that's her business.   The thing I find incredible is that my SO won't even bring it up with her in a conversation!  Maybe SD has her own fears about it but doesn't have anyone she can talk about it with. Her mother (BM) essentially bought her 20-years younger husband with money, so guess who SD learned it from!  

At this point in his life, my SO is what he is and won't change.  SD is what she is and won't change. BM has SD wrapped around her finger, is the only parent who matters, and that won't change either.  While it all may look good superficially there is some serious dysfunction going on and it will never be addressed.     

To answer the question.  If I had any words of wisdom for a future woman in my SO's life I would say this:  Still waters run deep and may hide lurking monsters in their depths.   Keep your life vest on and always have your eyes on a safe harbor.  

MissTexas's picture

Hoping things get better.

Your description of your DH almost recoiling, reminds me of the witch on The Wizard of Oz when the water is poured on her. That's the visual I'm getting.

Keep us in the loop/\.

sandye21's picture

DH has not done this is years.  Of course, times like these do not happen but every once in a while.  It was rally a disappointment to realize he still doesn't have my back like he should but it DOES go both ways.  Two steps back and a bit of respect lost.  Regroup and go forward again.

Dovina's picture

No you are not crazy, over sensitive, or looking for problems.Do not dismiss that knot in the stomach that you get everytime you see the skids. They do indeed have no boundaries, his kids are spoiled entitled snots who dont want daddeee with any woman. This is not your imagination, it is real time dysfunction. No its not normal to text or call daddee day and night. No he is not a overly concerned father to adult kids, he is a coward and overly enmeshed father, who licks any crumbs thrown his way by Huey and Duey. Yes his long before re married ex wife still pines for him, and does drive past your house.....I could go on and on!! 

sammigirl's picture

Good luck with stephell.  Enter this relationship at your own risk.  Be prepared to deal with narcissistic ways of life.  Love thy SD.