You are here

Weddings- to invite child family members, or not?

Anon2009's picture

I know this subject came up here in another blog awhile ago, where an OP had adopted a child and neither she nor said child were sure if SD would invite the child to her wedding.

What do you think the right thing to do is in this situation? I know a lot of weddings don't have kids. I know that child-free weddings have been happening since the earliest days of man. I've been to several and had a nice time.

When I got married, SDs were part of the ceremony. They weren't well-behaved at the time due to poor parenting and were a lot younger. But they behaved fairly well throughout the ceremony and reception. There were other kids there for them to play with. They had fun.

But I can also see the pros to not having kids at a wedding. Let's face it, they can be quite noisy, and sometimes it's nice to just be around other adults.

emotionaly beat up's picture

I think if either the bride or groom have children then those children should be at the wedding. As far as any other children are concerned then it should be up to the couple to decide.

If people are upset about "their" kids not being invited they have the option to decline the invitation.

young_step_mom's picture

I put NO KIDS on my wedding invites and hired a sitter to watch all of the kids at the hotel where we were having the reception. Well the plan was to allow kids to the ceremony and as the guests were being seated at the reception, to have the baby sitter pick up the kids. Well it started raining (reception was outdoors) and everyone rushed under the palapa where the tables were and by the time we arrived all the kids were seated and the sitter didn't know how to get them to come w her. I told her to just leave them and honeslty EVERYONE had a great time, I was glad to have had them there. Then again, I am lucky in that the few kids who were in attendance are not brats.