You are here

Wedding Photo "Gift" --- is this passive aggressive, or what?

2Tired4Drama's picture

SD27 was married this past Fall. For Christmas, she sent my SO (her father) a Christmas gift. There was a nice framed photo of herself and her dad, and another in the frame of her, my SO and I together. OK, so far so good right?

BUT. Then we look in a fat envelope she sent along and in it were several photos of herself with BM and her Dad. And one of them even included the BM and her new husband.

WTF?

While we understood the importance to HER of having a photo with both her parents (thus, my SO willingly posed with them) why in the hell does SD think that he would want one with BM in it???

Am I being picky in this regard, or is this a little passive aggressive?

swampedmom's picture

Passive aggressive and so obvious. Rude to both you and your SO. They are so crafty at coming up with a myriad of ways to cause disharmony. I hope you are able to "misplace them".

SD30 posts pictures on Facebook of DH and BM at SGK's birthday party at Chuck E Cheese. I no longer go because BM always shows up and I am DONE. I then blocked SD on Facebook before Christmas. I knew she would do it again and again. Now, I no longer have to tolerate it.

twoviewpoints's picture

Stick the odd photos back in the envelope and tuck it up and away (up far and away as in trunk in attic). Or hand them to Dh and ask them to do something with them (something that does not include anywhere in your main living areas, oh and the trash can is fine with you if that's what he wants *blinks innocently*).

I don't know your relationship with SD. Passive aggressive? Maybe. I bet she sent the same gift to her mother but in reverse.

What you don't want to do is say anything to her about it or let Dh say anything to her. If she did it to be an *ss, do not give her one ounce of satisfaction that she may have hit her mark.

Was she kind, receptive and saw to it you were treated as an honored guest as wife of her father (Oh, I see, SO, but still, important part of Dad's life)? If you got seated in the rear pew behind the potted pot during ceremony or at the table by kitchen door by yourself and a couple strangers during reception, well then the pics were indeed a silent kick.

queensway's picture

Oh my, I can't stop laughing at how stupid this girl is. 100% passive aggressive. You know there is this thing called re-gifting. Maybe next Christmas you can take that lovely picture of BM and her husband put it in a nice frame and give it back to her. Give her a dollar store card and write "I thought this picture was so thoughtful of you that you would enjoy it more than me". Now that is passive-aggressive. LOL

SMto2's picture

This made me about spit out my wine! lolol! This is perfect!! And completely passive-aggressive!!

Stepped in what momma's picture

Insert drum roll here.... ------>>> Queensway has the best idea of the day and damn Gina it is early too! LMAO that is the best ideas ever.

CANYOUHELP's picture

The lack of consideration here was intentional, she is playing daddeeee..."but I have one of your wife too" LOL. This kind of woman intentionally hurts you by trying to look like the good girl to daddeeee, while still being allowed to be the bad girl.

This is a passive aggressive move, at its finest. It is was a well thought out plan, my bet. Does she also monitor the photos you have in your home? Will she wonder why you did not put this one up---will this go on and on? It never ends. Step life is so much fun...may have to directly confront her one day, if daddeee will not, like most.

The re-gifting idea above, spot on....

Ispofacto's picture

I would find a way to put those photos in the trash. When she asks why they aren't displayed, ask her what she's talking about. *puzzled look * You didn't see any of those photos. Gaslighting 101.

shes driving me crazy in my retirement's picture

Put out the pics of you, SO and her, and the one with her and her father. I believe these are the ones she sent framed. As for the others - just put them aside somewhere and don't give them a thought as it is not worth it. It will probably never come up from her about the others.

As for giving these as gifts, well in a way it is nice since she framed them nicely. I don't know how old she is, but I do know that some of these 19-30 year olds are, well, they just don't think. having just gotten married she is still "honeymooning" over the wedding etc. I am only saying this if this is a first time. If she has a history of this type of stuff, then it is totally wrong and shows immaturity and an attitude.

Dovina's picture

OMG, total PA. Must give this girl an A for creativity. I would have SO return the photo to her and say "you must have given us this photo by mistake, I am sure BM would want this"

sandye21's picture

Was there a picture of just you and SO? If so, put it in one of the frames she sent. Then put ALL of the others - including the one of the three of you and she and her father- in the bottom of a box so you will never find them again. Display the picture of you and SO in a very prominent place in your home so it is one of the first things SD sees as she enters. When she notices smile like the cat that ate the canary and say, "Thanks for the frame."

No Name's picture

Well at least you were included in photos. When SD was married I was not included in a single photo. Sometime after the wedding she came over with all of the proofs to show her father. After looking at them all she said oh, I no name isn't in any of the photos. I just realized that. Sure she just realized it. Now remember I was also supposed to be put at a table in the back out of sight so that she could pretend on her wedding day that her parents were still married.
So she put a picture of herself and her father in a rather large frame and gave it to him. I moved it from the living room to the bedroom to the attic. I didn't realize that I did that. Wedding picture? What wedding picture?

sandye21's picture

I did the same thing with large picture of SD and her husband. It just seemed to migrate on it's own. At first it was on a wall in plain sight, then to a hallway, then in back of a door that always remained open, then it was put away with the Christmas decorations and I never found it again.

One time when we visited SD a picture of DH appeared under a magnate on her refrigerator but was never seen again. I can understand that she would not want her Mother to see the picture of DH and I. I guess SD 'didn't realize' she had a picture of her Mother in plain sight in her living room.

sandye21's picture

I did the same thing with large picture of SD and her husband. It just seemed to migrate on it's own. At first it was on a wall in plain sight, then to a hallway, then in back of a door that always remained open, then it was put away with the Christmas decorations and I never found it again.

One time when we visited SD a picture of DH appeared under a magnate on her refrigerator but was never seen again. I can understand that she would not want her Mother to see the picture of DH and I. I guess SD 'didn't realize' she had a picture of her Mother in plain sight in her living room.

SugarSpice's picture

call it what it is a slap in the face.

passive aggressive.

put the pictures of bm where they belong. out of sight in the closet in a box.

bedazzled's picture

It is a slap in the face and passive aggressive. When my DH daughter got married. She pulled all kinds of passive aggressive stunts. At rehearsal dinner she had place card for every one but me. Just empty seat next to husband. She had us at table with BM brother and wife and 2 of her bridesmaids. The bridesmaids spent all evening telling what a great woman BM is.

At wedding she sat me with BM family That was a fun filled time. . Her grooms stepmother had flowers I did not.

She posted wedding pictures and video online. I was not in any of them. She did post the pictures of Mommy and Daddy together. She also posted stepdads pictures and both of her grooms step parents also.

She gave DH pictures of the two of them and ones of DH, BM her, groom and SS all together.

These SD’s are the masters of passive aggressive. The amazing part to me is that the husbsnds can’t understand why we hate these B&@&h’s so much.

mommadukes2015's picture

At my sister's wedding this past summer the photographer took a photo of all of both of our sides of the family.....together. My dad, his GF, my mom, my step dad, my step sister, her family me, my family various uncles/aunts/cousins, grandparents .....the photographer apparently didnt pick up on the fact these families are like the Hatfields and the McCoys. They HATE each other with white flames of burning passion.

My sister sent my mom all the photos too. My mom had a fun time cutting my dads head off the extra photos.

I think post wedding brides' brains just glitch. I do have to say though the uncomfortable faces are soooooo priceless. If you can't find the silver lining, snip the ho's head off.

sammigirl's picture

I get this same envelope every year at Christmas or DH's birthday; annual family pictures.

They go in DH's chest that I purchased years ago to hide SD's passive aggression in. If something happens to DH and I'm still here, she gets the chest on her front door step, via a third part. That's all she gets.

What is up with this crap?????
P.S. the chest is in the guest bedroom, where I don't see it daily. I hardly dust it, unless I'm having guests to stay over.

(((hugs)))

thinkthrice's picture

When the Gir and Chef finally broke up (for the millionth time), she taped a photo of the happy family (she, Chef and the kiddies) to his laptop then wrote "here is what you're giving up" on the photo.

thinkthrice's picture

If your DH still has his divorce decree, it might be fun to have a copy of it with the wedding photo superimposed over it and suitable for framing.

disrestep's picture

You are definitely being picky. Adults skids just want to remind is that family does not include us and only includes past spouses and their families. They must also do it to remind our spouses as well.

The re-gifting idea is classic. Love it! We received photos from adult OSS a few years ago along with Xmas gift for DH. The photos included the Gskid sitting in front of shelves with many pics of DH and his late wife. I recall wondering if that was done on purpose. Another x-mas before all Dh got from same Oss and Dil were pics of Dh and OSS and Dil and exMIL and pics of DH with the other adult skids. I was not invited to their wedding and then not allowed to be in pics at another wedding. Oh the picture games they play.

During one summer, we received wedding pics of Dh with YSS with a rude comment of, "Here's your xmas present since I am sure I won't be allowed to see you on Xmas!" as nasty as she could say it right in front of all Dh's relatives. I wish DH would of responded to that snarky comment. I had to bite my tongue.

Anyway, the frames were donated, and well, and the pics were tossed. DH doesn't seem to care and never asked where they are. The skids don't have pics of DH and I in their home, why on earth do they think we want pics of them in our home? Quite a few years ago on a rare visit with DH to adult SD's place, she showed us half a wall that was a shrine of pics of Dh and his late wife with all their old wedding pictures of DH and late wife. There were at least 50 pics stuck on this wall. DH said to me after that YSD must of stole the pics out of his house because he never gave them to her.

Acratopotes's picture

}:) }:) late to the party lol...

I would send the BM envelope back with a little note, I think you put the wrong address on this lot ...

Rags's picture

Time to do a scrap booking project with those pics. Cut out the XW, etc.. and make it all about you, DH, the bride, groom, etc....  It can be about SD's wedding without including BM, her BF/DH, etc... 

If SD ever sees it and comments, just tell her the truth.  You were such a beautiful bride and the wedding was beautiful but your mom is not important to your dad and I.  So we made this book a rememberance of your wedding and about you and us.

My mom used to do this with old pics that had family members in them and people she did not know or recall who they were.  So, her curated photo albums were family forward and we all still enjoy them many, many years after she put them together.

Bonus Mom 1981's picture

Keep the 2 she sent in frames & throw the rest in the trash can.