You are here

Waaahh! I don't have a family, sniff, sniff!

2Tired4Drama's picture

This is truly a vent and a reason I am glad I have this board to come to.

SD23 recently whined about how she "doesn't have a family" (sob, the divorced child's saga) and how she is so grateful her (current) BFF's family have taken her under their wings and include her and treat her just like she is one of their own. She says this in front of her father.

As background, this young woman has two cousins her exact same age who have tried time and time again to be involved in her life, include her in activities, etc. But she ignores them - probably because they are on her father's side and her mom did a great job of implementing alientation.

She also has paternal grandparents and great aunts and uncles that she can't be bothered to call or keep in touch with, even when they send her cards, letters, gifts, etc. Not to mention that she has a brother - who she has never gotten along with because he hates that she is a princess.

Of course, dear old dad doesn't point out any of this to her. And I just sit there mum thinking that she is a pathetic excuse for a so-called adult. She is so self-absorbed and diseased with entitlement she thinks NONE of these relatives/family members have any meaning.

2Tired4Drama's picture

You hit that nail on the head, Fightin'! She certainly has no problem cashing the checks and spending the cash she gets from this "invisible" family for her birthday and holidays. I would imagine she probably even spends some of it entertaining her BFF's family - since she says she likes to pick up the dinner or drinks tab to show how much she appreciates THEM! Puke.

Towanda's picture

Yup! same here! SD32 always says that. It's all take and no give! Narcissist.
I must confess though, that DH finally did write her a letter about 9 months ago and pointed ALL of that out to her! Hasn't changed anything but I certainly feel better! Haven't heard a peep out of her !

I have heard through the grapevine though ,that she called my soon to be ex son in law and warned him that now that he is divorcing her sister, to never ever let our grandchildren come visit us. Too late! }:)

2Tired4Drama's picture

Yep - sat right there in front of him, whining about she doesn't have a family. He sat there and didn't say a word. He never says anything to her, though, because he is so afraid of making a wrong move. I have disengaged from it all, so I won't say anything to her or to him about it. I just find the whole thing pathetic.

Especially from my perspective - and even moreso once your parents have died. I'd give anything to go out to lunch with my mom or dad again, that's why it pisses me off to sit there and listen to her moan how she has "no family." Again, part of the reason is that her mother did a great job of alientating the skids from their father and paternal side of the family.

If the skids are raised to think that the dad's side of the family isn't worthwhile, then that's what they believe. And since BM has no siblings and the skids have no cousins on that side, it's really ridiculous that BM alienated them from the only family they have.

The only cousins and aunts/uncles they have are on their father's side. But they don't bother to keep in touch with them.

clydella's picture

Same thing with my SD20, nobody loves ME, unless you're sending her money and then it depends on the amount you give.

Freshstart's picture

My SD18 is the same. She has everything she could possibly want. Her grandparents adore her but she has to be reminded to make any effort towards them. She plays the woe is me card all the time. She gets $100/week pocket money for just existing but still acts like she is deprived. I think DH buys it. She makes a big deal lately of sitting downstairs to watch TV "alone". We have offered to host friends, took she and her friend on holidays and paid for an expensive 17th party at ours and restaurant Birthday but had to prompt it all. We have offered an 18th but no response yet. But no its all "I'm so alone". Her dad drops her anywhere she wants and picks her up any time of the day and night. Paid for the most expensive schooling possible.

My DH is the same as yours. Thinks she is poorly done by. I have to remind him all the time what a great dad he is. It's like he constantly feels guilty. What for?