You are here

Venting - she (BM) just had to call him didn't she

cmwolfe1264's picture

A little background - My skids are adults, married (OSD now divoriced) with their own families. Their mother has lived out of the country for 9-10 yrs now. She doesn't come back to visit her kids and gkids much. She doesn't call much - always some problem or another. Talks to them on FB mostly. Sadly my MIL is not doing well and the family is gathering to see her one last time. Well, my DH told me this morning that his ex called him in the afternoon yesterday to talk to him about HIS mother. Of course she was drunk as she is an alcoholic and because of it she doesn't have much of a relationship with her kids. I guess she went on and on about his mother was special to her and how wonderful of a relationship ex had with his mother etc. She never asked him how he was feeling or how he was, just went on and on about sad she was this was happening and how much she was hurting. He finally said he had to go cuz he was sick of listening to her and she said "ok by honey" and hung up!! I totally understand she had a relationship with my MIL and that she is sad that she is dying but why did she need to call her exhusband. They do not have any contact now days since the kids are grown up, married with kids and she lives out of country. Why would she call him to discuss his dying mother? I know why she called, she was drunk and her adled brain actually thought it was okay to call my DH up and talk to him about this. I actually felt bad for my DH when he told me about the phone call. He just said he really, really didn't want to talk to her especially when she is drunk cuz she can't speak clearly and just repeats crap over and over. I'm sure this is only the beginning of a difficult time for my DH and it breaks my heart that he will have to endure more garbage from his ex and my SDs during this time.

skylarksms's picture

These types of people are toxic and will manipulate any bad event into something about them. In essence, making a bad situation WORSE.

I'm not sure what you can do about it except NOT answer when they call.

cmwolfe1264's picture

Very true skylarksms, very true. So glad she doesn't have my number!! Of course, I don't answer my cell for numbers I don't recognize so she wouldn't get me even if she tried Smile

bestwife's picture

You know why the drunk called - the real question is why he didn't hang up immediately. There was no more reason for him to stay on the phone than there was for her to call.

cmwolfe1264's picture

True bestwife - he being the forever optimist probably thought she was calling to convey her sympathies to him but he should have known it would be all about her. Highly doubt he will answer her call again, but she tends to change her number alot and since she's out of the country different numbers or no number shows up on screen so he doesn't always know it is her on the line til he answers. Being raised with good manners prevents him from hanging up on her right away no doubt. But I suspect he's wary now and won't necessarily answer his phone if he doesn't recognize the number!