You are here

Update on Stepson and Launching

OnlyHuman's picture

I've been distracted, as most of us, with the coronavirus and haven't read or posted in a while. 

Meanwhile SS, almost 19, has been spending the last quarter of his Sr year of High School supposedly doing "distance learning".  Thing is, he now has 4 F's out of the 5 classes he's taking, not doing his schoolwork at all.  Truly lazy beyond comprehension!  Always has been.  Always will be.

His father gave him 2 options last evening --to quit his grocery store part-time job and stay here (due to the high risk of me and my elderly mother who lives with us) OR live with his grandmother and transfer to a store in that town.  (Grandma doesn't take any precautions during this pandemic and lives her life as usual --stubborn idiot!)

Last week he told us he wanted to live with her because he has NO responsibilities there.  (Please GO!)

Last night he sounded as though his preference would be to continue living here and forego his job.  (Of course)

I want to subtly tip the scale for him.  Suggestions?

Kes's picture

Increase his household responsibilities fivefold or more.  Cooking dinner at least 3 times a week, mopping floors, laundry, cleaning windows, cleaning the toilet/bathroom twice a week. You won't see him for dust. 

OnlyHuman's picture

Husband told him he would be tasked with doing chores--and SS honed in on that word immediately asking "What KIND of chores for example?"

I'm thinking of good stuff now!  Pulling weeds!! (A classic hated chore!). Cutting down brush!  A strict bedtime!!  Strict wake up time!  Limitations on gaming and electronics time!!   Yes!  I like you're thinking!

tog redux's picture

Your DH needs to make the choice - move to grandmother's. Why would he give a lazy kid the option of quitting his job? This is his chance to get him launched. No take backs.