You are here

Update on SS24 getting out of prison...he is getting out THIS WEEK

K.C.'s picture

And my behavior wasn't too good tonight. MIL had me over for dinner and my dh ate earlier as he had to get ready for work. MIL basically knows everything that is going on with everyone in the family. She had been in frequent touch with BM regarding SS24's release. She told me, my nephew and BIL who were also over about his release.

I asked if DH knew and she said she did not know. Ever since SS24 went to prison, DH tried to keep in touch with him but SS24 never called an only wrote DH a few times. DH disengaged because there was nothing he could do.

Well I wasn't in a great mood today and after hearing that news I was in worse shape. I asked what is SS24 going to do and MIL said he doesn't have probation so he will need to find a job. This is a young adult facing fines, felony dui,drug paraphanalia, 5 yr license suspension, pretty much indigent but that would have been different if he took the second chance the judge gave him which was rehab but he picked prison.

I have a sick feeling he won't want to stay with his mother as he hates his step father. Step dad is a good guy but is strict.

So I said flat out at the dinner table that I don't want him moving here. My bad. Not the time nor the place. Life is good and I want to keep it that way so I guess I snapped.

I went back to our place and my husband was ready to leave for work and saw I was upset and asked me what was wrong. I told him exactly what happened and boy did he scream at me! I am wondering because he did not know about the release being this week and he is upset that I don't want to do this again. He said I am making him choose and it is his son and he should have a say. I said nothing has ever been discussed with me and the last time SS came here, I wasn't told until after his plane ticket was purchased.

He said he needed to go to work and can't deal with me now and it will be discussed when and if it happens.

A part of me feels like I am projecting as we haven't gotten a call from BM but the other part of me doesn't trust anyone as MIL meddles and DH does what DH wants. My son called after DH left and knew I was upset. He said he agrees with me that the situation won't work but that I should apologize to DH because nothing has happened yet and I basically freaked out which in turn caught him off guard and got him angry.

When I came home from work he was rather quiet so I am wondering if he knows more than he says.

Boy can step life suck. Thought we were passed all this but families that are in each others business doesn't help either.

I am wrong for my crack at dinner but my feelings aren't going to change. Those I OWN.

twopines's picture

I don't see anything wrong with you saying what you felt, especially since the subject was already being talked about during dinner. This is a serious situation. An adult felon! You've already been through this. No point in sugar-coating your thoughts. You are not "making" your DH choose anything. To be upset with you for not wanting to do this again is utter ridiculousness.

K.C.'s picture

Well my BIL just texted me saying he commends me for my honesty. My DH called a little while ago and apologized for his yelling. He said the 12 shifts are getting to him and he is tired. I did not apologize and said my feelings are very valid as I know how things have gone down in the past and he said he understands. He said we will talk about it and that he doesn't want him here either and is going to tell his mother she has no say in any decisions. He didn't come out and say it will not happen and also said it will be discussed privately between him and I. I really do dread that conversation because I won't stick around for another episode of drama.

He did say he sees his family stressing me out and I asked why his mom is such a meddler and he says she just wants a perfect family but yet for her it had been totally hosed up since DH and sil were kids.

Just toxic.

The first time this happened DH got SS into counseling and worked with the Salvation Army for rehab and living quarters but SS ran away from it after a few months. DH stopped helping at that time. Maybe he feels guilty for stopping the help. All I know is he is emailing BM tomorrow for details. She will do her usual whining of the poor me's as she will not be happy being stuck with a grown indigent young man.

Ready for Freedom's picture

K.C. you didn't do anything wrong.

"So I said flat out at the dinner table that I don't want him moving here. My bad. Not the time nor the place. Life is good and I want to keep it that way so I guess I snapped."

Everyone was already talking about it so, it was quite fine to state your opinions here. Especially since it was more than likely that the critter was going to be looking to come to your home. You have more a right to say something than MIL or BIL.

"He (your bio son) said he agrees with me that the situation won't work but that I should apologize to DH because nothing has happened yet and I basically freaked out which in turn caught him off guard and got him angry."

I call bullsh*t on your son's perception! First, I don't think you freaked out...you stated your opinion. Second, even if you had freaked out (snapped) you are very entitled to do so in this case. Third, your opinion is based on past experience. Yes, nothing has happened yet.....you are trying to keep it from happening by speaking out BEFORE the situation may happen. That's called being proactive. As for your husband being angry, he owns that, not you. He is angry because this is a horrible situation for you both and I suspect he feels guilty and resentful about you and him even having to be in this situation, but don't let him place that anger on you. It's not your fault his son has put you both in this situation. The son owns that and your husband owns his anger. You don't own ANY of it.

Keep your head up high and hold your ground. You live there, too, so you get a say in who comes to visit or live in your home. Period.

Hang in there, girl! Smile

misSTEP's picture

I can understand his family wanting to help SS. However, there is a fine line between "helping" and "enabling."

If your DH wants to help (hell, or MIL, for that matter), they can give him rides to the Job Service, to social services, to where ever. But within reason. No filling out apps for him, etc. This kid is old enough to learn how real life is. Otherwise, he will end up going back where he came from.

Orange County Ca's picture

I agree that you should tell Daddy to channel his energy towards finding outside help for the boy. Neither of you or any other family members are qualified to rehab a drug user and someone fresh out of hard time prison. At least that's my assumption.

If Daddy refuses then tell him you or they will have to maintain a separate residence until the boy can live on his own. Tell Daddy you have to intention of keeping him from helping his son but likewise have no intention of living under the same roof with him. Tell him it may (will) be a strain on the family finances to maintain two households but hopefully it'll just be for a few months.

Jsmom's picture

You did nothing wrong. I would have had the same reaction and have. SD18 is not allowed here. I will not waiver on that fact without some serious changes.

You have a right to not have a criminal in your home.

K.C.'s picture

I'm not backing down on this. It's been 10 years of HELL and I thought we were over it. In the beginning I figured this is how steplife is but thought the madness would end when they grew up. If he wants to support and guide his son, so be it but I do not have to stick around to watch it. Finances will be very tough - not sure how we will do this. My family does not live in this state. I would need my paycheck to live elsewhere and since I make more than dh, I really do not know how he is going to pay the mortgage and the utilities at this house. If I knew back then what I know now.

Yosemite's picture

Boy I hope this all works out for you.
Most likely your DH and the BM really don't want to live with their criminal son either, but a parent is not likely to allow their child, adult or not to be homeless. The pressure from you is only going to take the focus off the SS and put it on you. It has the potential to totally backfire and invoke that parental protective instinct.
If I were you, I would not bring it up again now that you have made your feelings known. I would probably be researching available options for SS in the event BM won't let him stay. That way DH can feel like you are supporting him and he doesn't have to abandon his son. And all the negative attention can stay on SS where it belongs while his parents figure out a plan for him without feeling like he needs to be protected from you.
This is just my two cents of course. I freely admit that I am in the minority opinion that my kids come first always. If I felt like I should let my kid stay with me, grown or not, I wouldn't give a fuck what DH thought about it. But that's just me.
ETA- Re-reading this I guess I don't really mean that I wouldn't give a fuck what DH would think. I would hope my DH would be on board and I would try to convince him, but at the end of the day I would let my kid stay no matter how DH felt about it. So that's why I say I wouldn't give a fuck because I would still do it anyway.

hereiam's picture

pretty much indigent but that would have been different if he took the second chance the judge gave him which was rehab but he picked prison.

So, he made his choice (and a bad one, at that). There is no reason for you or your DH or anybody to feel bad about making him stand on his own.

I would also do as Yosemite said and research options for your SS and when he turns those down, that will be his choice again. No, it's not your responsibility but I would do it just to show that there ARE options.

Living with me would not be an option.

hangingbyathread6's picture

I agree that I wouldn't want him with us either! I'm not sure why everyone freaked out about you saying he's not coming to live with you and your DH. And that everyone keeps referring to SS as a kid. He's 24! He's an ADULT. I get he is just getting out of prison, but his choices put him there and if you aren't comfortable with him staying with you then he will just have to realize that aside from prison time being a consequence for his actions, so is getting out of prison and having NOTHING. Time to be an adult.

I have troublesome SS and am going through some hard things with him right now. I have to say, I keep thinking he'll be an adult in 4 yrs...after reading this, I'm wondering if I am foolishly thinking it will be over when they become adults. My feeling is if you aren't going to college...you are out on your own. Is this really not going to end?

Keep standing up for yourself! I think you did the right thing. He's an ADULT! I still can't stop thinking that this is not about a child BUT AN ADULT and is causing this much turmoil with DH's family.

good luck!

dadsnewwife's picture

You did NOTHING wrong and I commend you for standing your ground. At 24, your SS is an adult and enabling will only keep him from taking his journey in life and learning the lessons he obviously needs to learn. I agree with another poster who said NOONE wants to see their child homeless, but sometimes it's necessary! My dh let his DS21 be homeless for a week in 2011 because he got kicked out of rehab. However, he DID go get him after ONE WEEK because OF COURSE his son said he'd stay clean, blah, blah, blah...3 years of this crap and FINALLY, dh "gets it" and I heard him tell his father just 2 days ago that he can no longer enable his son's bad behavior (drugs). He finished rehab last Fall and lived in a safe house until recently because they kicked him out due to drug use. It took dh THREE years to figure it out, but he finally did and I commend him. His son is living with friends at the moment, but could end up homeless again any time. I told dh last summer that I dreamed of moving out EVERY DAY because of his son and the enabling I saw going on. I told him I'd NEVER "go back" to that place again. He knew what I meant.

I can't imagine ANY parent continuing to enable a 24 year old felon. As another poster said once (and I have used this phrase as well) tell your dh that SS24 is a big boy now and he'll figure it out. I actually said that just recently because of course dh is horribly worried about his youngest. He's going downhill quickly again and it's killing dh. I have 4 DDs of my own and can't imagine having gone though what my dh has with 3 drug addict sons. 20+ years of this crap. My poor dh looks older than his 52 years. hmmmm Can't imagine why.

K.C.'s picture

Thank you all so much for the replies - It makes me feel better that I know I have a right to be happy and that I do not have to keep myself around the toxicity in this house. I do understand it's his blood he is trying to help, protect (more like enable but he doesn't see it that way). Seriously if this were my own flesh and blood I would react the same way I am reacting now.

And it's interesting because I have a cousin who threw her adult daughter out of her home. 6 months later she let her move back in. All my husband talked about was how could she have done that, what a stupid move, yada yada yada. So how is our situation any different?

And I think he knew all along about his son getting out and that is why he was quiet. I came home yesterday after work and was very tired. Normally he's pretty cheerful but yesterday he was quiet, and before I went over to MIL's for dinner I asked him if something was bugging him. He said no that he just woke up and was trying to get ready for work. It just felt "odd". I am sure in his head he was dreading me with my opinions and a part of me thinks he actually wouldn't mind his son moving back in - it would give him a chance to be a dad again and he said that I'm always negative about things. Well 10 years of this b.s. did that to me and when the kids were finally grown and out it was like a new beginning. Then other family b.s. happened and now this. He said I don't laugh or smile like I used to. How can I? I havent' had the time to find joy in anything between every family obstacle. The only peace I get is when he leaves for work every night and I hang out and relax with my dogs. It's quiet, it's peaceful, no drama. He keeps saying none of that is my problem and I make it my problem. How can it not be my problem when it's in my face every damn day? I try to keep it positive but it's getting harder with this b.s.

So out of curiosity I went online and looked SS24 up in the inmate locator. He's still in custody unless they haven't updated it yet. I also look up his old case, as I do not understand why they would wave probation for someone who is getting released. I read the case but it didn't say anything about probation.

Another thing, one of my hobbies is shooting. I am not a hunter, I just like to shoot paper targets at the range. I also carry for personal protection. I know felons are not supposed to have firearms and I am wondering if this might help me - maybe he can't come here because I have a rather large collection. I read various things to no, they can't be near them, to ok as long as they are locked up. Most get locked up but I do keep a couple near me at night. So what am I supposed to do - deadbolt my entire house and constantly lock up and unlock things? I can't live like that! I emailed a friend who's dad is a state trooper and am waiting for the correct answer.

I actually copied some of your posts onto a Word document (certain sentences that stuck out big time for me) - things that will keep me in check, things to help me know that none of this is my fault and I'm going to print it out and hang it on my fridge when I get home. He won't like it but I am not doing to it make him mad. I am doing it for a daily sanity check. I am so grateful for finding this website. Thank you all so much.