You are here

Two 20-something step-daughters.

kaluna's picture

Hi, I'm new to this site/forum I'm trying to find a place to talk to other going through the same thing with their spouses and step kids. I am unhappy and spent most of my time being angry about the situation I have gotten myself into.

I'm 47 and married for the first time in 09/10, I obviously knew my husband to be had 2 daughters but they were 17 and 21 when we married and living with their mom. Up until that point I knew their father spoiled them but figured they would grow out of it and since they were living with their mom I thought I could deal with whatever came up. Well their mom was diagnosed with stage 4 small cell lung cancer in 02/12 and passed away this past March.

Soon after we married my step daughters made it very clear that they didn't like me, they started a rumor in the family that I had lap band surgery (I haven't) they told other family members at every opportunity that I was a bitch. I've never been a very confident person regarding my looks but I've always tried to treat people the way I would like to be treated. My therapist says I'm one of those people that does everything for everyone hoping to gain acceptance and that I need to set boundaries. I know he's right.

Well 10 days after their mothers funeral their step father threw them out of the home. Although I thought it was an awful thing to do, I completely understood because they were just as cruel and disrespectful to him as they are to me but he's endured it for almost 11 years. Their step fathers was concerned about the influence my step daughters would have on his 7 year old daughter. They routinely bad mouth and disrespect him in front of her and by all accounts he is a good man. The younger of the 2 moved into our home, the older went to stay with friends. My husband initially was prepared to lay down some ground rules but wanted to give them time to deal with the death of their mom. I agreed and recommended they go to grief counseling, they didn't.

Neither of the girls works or goes to school. Neither has been able to keep a job for longer than 3 months because they have such horrible attitudes. My husband pays for all their expenses, cell phones, car insurance, car maintenance, car registration, cloths, prescriptions, gas and our mortgage. I pay for their medical coverage through my work, I pay all the utilities and buy groceries. They do nothing but "hang out" with friends all day and night. We have a storage unit we pay for to keep all their belongings. Their boxes and boxes of cloths and shoes have taken over out garage.

The yell at us, they cuss at us, they leave a mess all over the house and say they will clean up "when they get to it". Their bedroom is an absolute pig pen. They talk like a couple of street hardened gang banger's no matter where they are at...home, a relatives, church, a restaurant...you name it. The 24 year old admitted to having a binge drinking problem and they both smoke pot. This fact amazes me since they can't foot the bill for their own cell phone but they can afford to always have pot. The 24 year old has had her license suspended, why I'm not told. They 20 year old has gotten 4 tickets in the last 2 years, she's a horrible driver.

I told my husband once that I was tired of the way they disrespect him and don't give a rats ass who they do it in front of. He got angry with me and we had words, in the end he told me that "his family" is him and his girls. I packed a bag and left that night, he later said that I should have known that because I'm his wife that I was also included in his family.

Part of me knows they are all still grieving over the loss of his ex-wife but part of me says these 2 are adults and need to be respectful and responsible or they need to leave. Deep down I know, if anyone leaves, it will be me.

Please tell me there is hope? I wanted my whole life to find the right person and believe my husband to be that person.

oldone's picture

Well if you are a normal human being and your DH is an idiot who plans to support worthless spawn forever I'd say he is NOT the right person for you.

kaluna's picture

My hubby smokes and I wonder what would happen to them if he passed away. Both is parents passed in their early 60's and he jokes about living life to the fullest because he won't be around that long.

When they are home and the three of them are having "family discussions" I retreat to the bedroom. I used to tell myself it was so that they could speak to their dad openly but I'm realizing it's because I know I'm not welcomed.

On Monday they were talking and they started to complain that I told them since they can't clean up after themselves they would have to buy their own cookware and dinner ware. When I walked in to try to discuss the situation as a "family" the younger one said to me, "Why are you here? No one asked you to come in here." FOR once they dad said, "because I want her to be."

20YearsAsAStep-Mom's picture

WOW - such rude disrespect. I am surprised you went back! Either they go or you go. This will never work with you all in the same house. I think you know that too, but are having a hard time facing it. It is with numbing realization when we finally understand the horrible dynamics of our step situations.

I have horrible SD's too, but the DO NOT LIVE with us. Last year the 2 SD's and DH were talking about younger SD moving in with us and that is a deal breaker for me. I would never have a lazy, rude, disrespectful person living in my home, I don't care if it is DH's DD. If he was so concerned with her he can go rent an apartment and the 2 of them can go live there. I want no part of it. And we have a teen BS too, but I would uproot his life in this situation. It is that important to me to maintain my health and some sanity.

If a SM only deals with the SD's on occasion there is some hope, sometimes. In the same house - nuh huh - too much stress.

Have a deep heart to heart with your DH and if you can't make a solid plan to get these slugs out of your house - your days are numbered there IMO.

Good luck and big hug. Take care.

kaluna's picture

Yes, they have pretty much had my hubby wrapped around their fingers their entire lives.

I think about an exist plan all the time, I have options I just still have hope...blindly maybe but I do.

dragonfly5's picture

^^^This^^^^ I feel so bad for you. Trapped with a man you love and didn't know how horrible his daughters really are. Yes, they lost their mother, but letting them behave this way is doing more harm than good.
He has to be the parent, even when it hurts. That the difference between being a parent and friend.

I hate to agree, with poster above but I do. Start saving and putting money away for yourself if you do not have separate finances. Your time is numbered unfortunately.

You can only take so much, then loving your DH will not even be a factor. Once you loose respect for him and he continually chooses them over you and refuses to set boundaries for his adult children it will be over for your marriage.

So sorry. My skids are well behaved but If Crazo died I would get a divorce. I am not interested in being trapped with someone else kids in my home and my DH knows this fact to be true

Drac0's picture

> I packed a bag and left that night, he later said that I should have known that because I'm his wife that I was also included in his family.<

I find it amusing how some guys only realize how important their spouses are in their life once the spouse actually uproots and leaves.

>Please tell me there is hope? I wanted my whole life to find the right person and believe my husband to be that person.<

You leaving your husband now forces your husband to deal with his two daughters. With you gone, he won't have to "defend" his two precious angels from you. He has to deal with his daughters' crap on his own. *Maybe* he will wake up and realize that you were right. You sound like a good woman so if your husband has an iota of sense, he will figure that out. However, I wouldn't bet any money on it. You left him and this ugly situation to save yourself - not hoping that your husband will one day chase after you to say "Baby! I'm sorry!". It's a nice fantasy to have, but that is all it is - a fantasy.

I know situations like this hurt, but when I split up with my ex, a good friend of mine gave me this advice; "Six weeks from now, you'll still be hurting but at least you'll be in a different place. Six months from now, you won't feel anything and you will be in a happier place. Six years from now you will be happy and in a happier place."

thinkthrice's picture

And herein lies the problem: ”My husband pays for all their expenses, cell phones, car insurance, car maintenance, car registration, cloths, prescriptions, gas and our mortgage. I pay for their medical coverage through my work, I pay all the utilities and buy groceries.”

There’s an old fashioned concept that has worked for centuries and is routinely deployed in the animal kingdom. It’s called “sink or swim.” Daddykins is basically making these adult children dependent upon him for life and has talked you into doing so as well. What would happen if daddykins, god forbid, dropped dead and there was no more teat to suckle from? Their mother is already passed but to use this as some sort of excuse is inane. It’s the same as pitying and thus enabling the “COD” or child of divorce/broken home (whether they be 2 or 20)

The balance of power has shifted from adult to child. You as SM are expected by daddykins and his princess brides to assume 0% authority yet 100% responsibility all the while the princess brides have the exact reverse with 0% responsibility/accountability and 100
% authority. This is WRONG WRONG WRONG!

There’s a good chance (probably hovering around 95%) that daddykins will NOT see the error of his ways and engage in this debilitating pity party—and expect you to do the same. You must set boundaries at once. I know I, in good conscience, could not allow this hobbling of perfectly capable adults. This is why I was always told I was “too strict” by the Guilty Daddy I live with when I wanted to have rules, boundaries, structure and expectations for his kids in my home.

Take a LONG HARD look because this is a road to ruin and misery. Love is not enough and does NOT conquer all despite what we’ve all heard.

Towanda's picture

Kaluna, welcome and Hugs! You did the right thing. For some reason, death of a parent seems to give some of these adult step kids a free pass to treat everyone like crap, do nothing, expect all handed to them, have no empathy for others, think only of themselves, etc. Notice I said some of these step kids, not all of them. Their step dad saw the writing on the wall too by kicking them out. We teach them nothing in life if we tolerate such abusive behavior.
I am living proof of that having been exposed to years of being treated like crap.
Good luck and I hope your DH has his eyes open soon to what is really going on! Otherwise, HE is going to be the lonely , old , and very single man!

emotionaly beat up's picture

That's true, the death of a parent makes it worse, these over indulged spoilt brats feel entitled to the surviving parent. They're owed. The death of a parent does not teach them the value of life, it does not teach them compassion, or fill them with regret that they could have treated the parent who died better, and as usual, given how they treated their mothers husband, they treated her just like they now treat dad, and as usual, they learnt nothing. They have no shame or guilt as to how they treated their mother or how sad and troubled she would have been the last 11 years of her life when they were causing problems in her marriage. No, they just grabbed their entitlement, daddy and did the same thing to him. That is how both parents raised them. They won't change. My husbands daughter was the exact same. Her mothers death only served to make this woman a more evil, wicked, self centred piece of work who after causing us grief for years got unimaginably worse after the death of the mother she treated like crap. Why, because her mummy and daddy let her.

kaluna's picture

They didn't change anything about their lifestyles when they learned of their mom's cancer and they say because she didn't want them too. Knowing what little I do about her, I'm sure that she had hope that she would beat the cancer and didn't want to see her children suffer through the cancer with her. My sister in law came back from a visit with their mom one day and said the house was dirty, that the girls rooms were horrible and that their mom no longer had the strength to clean up. My hubby, at my urging, sent a cleaning service over to clean the house top to bottom. Here their mom was going through chemo, her immune system was compromised and they couldn't life a finger to help. I felt horrible for her and her husband.

I know both my hubby and his ex created these little monsters and I knew, deep down inside, if she didn't beat the cancer it would be the end of our marriage.

twoviewpoints's picture

If you were 45ish when you married for the first time, do you own a home that you still own now? If so, think about moving back into your own house, if not perhaps a rental home or apartment/condo. You don't have to file for divorce if you're not ready. But you do need to distance yourself from these disrespectful little monsters.

You need space to decide what it is you want/need to do. Bottomline, you love your husband, you want your marriage to work but you can not remain living in the situation you are in. And that's exactly what you tell husband. That as long as the two SDs live in and control this house that it is not your home and you can't live that way. That he is welcome to visit you, spend weekends with you (whatever) but you will no longer be living under this house's roof.

You've supported yourself for years. You can do it again. You don't need this man in your life. You'd like him to be a part of your life, but as long as he choses to continue to live the way things are, you can not and will not be a part of it in his home. It's his choice. You're not asking him to kick out his kids, or asking him to choose, you're not asking him to standup for you or a d*mn thing...you're simply not living in this house.

You don't deserve this. If he can't control his kids and his home (which he obviously at this point intend to) you'll just take your things and live happily elsewhere. It's not a threat or an ultimatum , it's simply the way it has to be.

kaluna's picture

I looked at my hubby's text messages last night, his friend had seen a post on my FB page about a woman "giving away" her worthless husband on Craigslist. I reposted it and my husbands friend sent him a text asking if we were fighting. My hubby went wrote back that he hated when I posted things that were "obviously" about his kids. Or when I commented on how parents raise their kids after all "what does she know she's never had any."

Wow...I'm still hurt and angry about that but then again I had no right to violate his privacy by looking at his text.

I'm going to start looking for a place of my own. I won't give him an ultimatum but I can't be there if he flat out believes my opinion doesn't matter.

svillemomof4's picture

Kaluna, I don't know any women that do not look at their DH's text messages! You are not invading his privacy, he lost all rights to that the day he said "I do". If he didn't want you to see it he should've either erased the text or better yet, never said those things!!! Do not feel bad at all about snooping, you needed to know those things. Now you know where you stand in his eyes.
You need to get out now. I am hoping that if you leave and he is left to deal with their crap for a few months he may grow a pair and give them the boot and then come crawling back to you. It may not take long.....or you will be better off without all of them.

I'm so sorry this has happened! Stay strong and stand your ground! You deserve better!!