You are here

Trying not to reply!

ETexasMom's picture

MSD who was the mastermind of the "family" Christmas dinner that excluded me and my children send me a Facebook message yesterday saying how she was tired of the constant fighting and "we will never agree but out of respect for my dad I will no longer argue with you". I didn't know we were arguing! I haven't talked to her since Thanksgiving and neither has DH. I honestly don't know if she basically calling uncle because DH isn't paying attention to her or if she's trying to start another fight. I don't ghink she's sorry because she never once said anything about her actions just that she wants to stop arguing. However usually at Christmas time the kids can't be bothered to come over and instead invade us on New Years eve for their "christmas" with dad. Every year they treat our house like a frat party and last year MSD brought her 15 year old BIL let him get drunk too. SS kept giving my teenage sons shots after I said no. As a result I told DH no to them coming over New Years Eve and instead we made plans to go out as a couple.I have a feeling this message us a result of her not getting her way with DH. I'm usually a fixer and cave to pressure. I've so far ignored the message but there is so much I want to reply!!! I want to call her out on her behavior but I know it will start a fight and I will be the bad guy! I'm trying to stay strong and ignore her.

twoviewpoints's picture

Ignore. Ignore. Ignore. No good will come from replying. She doesn't deserve a two seconds of your attention. Not even the kind of attention that might momentarily make you feel to smack down on her. She's not worth the drama she'll create if you indulge her.

No to New Year's Eve. Absolutely not. No matter how much fake kiss a** she tries to make you cave. No.

2ndMrsSmith's picture

This. Is. Beautiful! Thank you - I have had 3 texts since the 25th from SD because I did not attend her dinner party and I haven't replied and knew it was because it would cause more drama than worth, but your words helped. TY!

hereiam's picture

I would ignore her. First of all, actions speak volumes so let her show it (if she even means it). Second, a message over FB? Nope, would not respond to that.

She makes it sound like you argue with her but that SHE has enough respect for her dad, that she will no longer be a part of it; that SHE is taking the "high road".

She probably wants to start something so that you can look like the bad guy, the one who wants to argue. No response will be best.

misSTEP's picture

This a million times over. The best policy for FB is to block drama causing skids and BMs.

twopines's picture

They HATE it when we don't respond, lol! Good for you for ignoring that message. She didn't ask a question, so no need to answer.

SecondGeneration's picture

Be strong, do not reply. Let it be till the new year, if she starts crying to daddy you hold firm that you just want to enjoy the festive season and time with hubby and please could he leave talking about this until the new year. Do not under any circumstances change your new year plans again.
If she makes a second contact attempt, then consider replying but not via facebook. facebook is cowards contact when its attempts to resolve conflict.

stepinafrica's picture

Ignore. Or say something generic like 'Merry christmas.' But even that might only serve to prolong the useless conversation so just ignore.

Exjuliemccoy's picture

Ignore, but keep a screenshot. And Happy New Year!!! Make sure your DH has an amazing time so that he'll want to do it again next year.

peacemaker's picture

Did i miss something?...She neither apologized authentically, or invited you to have a relationship with her...All she did was make a declaration...(If she holds to it, only time will tell)...All I heard her say was, she was no longer going to argue with you out of respect for her dad...(not for you)...I would not emotionally absorb this or mistake this for any type of olive branch attempt...it was more like a covert shot...(you don't matter, and have no value in her opinion)...but, she, on the other hand, will take the high road, for her father...It is like your kids saying they are sorry so they can have their privileges back...Even though, this was clearly NOT an apology

More like a bait statement, trying to get you to react and engage in a dialog with her...Don't take the bait!...anything you say...can and will be used against you (let alone twisted)...The mature emotional response would be to oblige her wishes regarding not having a relationship with you...give her what she is screaming for...absolutely nothing...

"Rebook a fool, and he will mock you"....Her heart is too hardened regarding you at this time...It doesn't mean you did anything to cause it (except marry her dad)...It is her undealt with baggage...she can carry around this ax to grind for a long time...Don't give her anything to argue with...You will take the wind right out of her sails...Set your own boundaries, and standards for having a relationship with you...A relationship involves two willing parties, each contributing who they are and what they bring to the relationship, and have a mutual understanding and respect for each other...
she does not offer this to you...trying to have a relationship with someone who has clearly made their feeling clear that they don't want you around is, well, stupid.

Give it quiet time...she will attempt something else when this childish declaration doesn't work...Her beef is with herself, and sometimes, people have to make many, many, trips around the mountain before they begin to realize..."This isn't working for me"...

Now is your opportunity to play it smart...I personally wouldn't respond to it at all...peace

Shaman29's picture

Agree with the others. Not only ignore but delete the message and block the little jerk from your FB page.

She is baiting you into a fight about nothing.

It takes two people to fight, if you don't engage then she cannot take swings at you.

Enjoy your holidays and consider the ignore/block thing an early Christmas present.

sandye21's picture

In your previous post, you stated that the Skids expected you to sit home and mope after they excluded you from their Christmas celebration, but invited DH. You mentioned that they were upset because you decided to have fun instead and your DH decided not to go. Oh, the games go on, don't they? You just DON'T cooperate!!! LOL LOL As one of the other posters suggested, block SD from Facebook and start giving her the same amount of respect she's been giving to you. Show her that exclusion can go both ways. I WOULD, however, print out what she wrote to you so that if she cries to DH you can show him why you are not responding.

It looks like SD is not seeking a resolution - only the appearance of one to DH. Glad your DH is supporting you. If he wants the relationship to 'heal' he is the one to approach the SD. Otherwise you might be lucky like me, and SD can wallow in her toxicity on her own. Until she 'genuinely' offers the olive branch, don't waste your time and energy.

enuf's picture

Make sure you take plenty of selfies with you and dh toasting to each other and giving each other "Happy New Years" kisses and post them on FB for the world to see with the caption "So much fun, just the two of us, as it should be! We will also be taking this to a higher level in our bedroom. Happy New Year everyone!!! We have already made reservations for next Next 'New Years Eve.'"

sammigirl's picture

IGNORE! Do not respond; if your MSD mentions why??? Act like you have forgotten the message; even though this is passive, it works. I tried for so many years to do everything low key to show respect; but I never got respect in return.

I never respond to my SD55. I even went as far as to ask her to speak to me by phone or in person and never email or FB me again. SD stepped up the email and FB; I deleted her from my email and blocked her from my FB. I do not talk to her by phone; I let it go to my voice mail and ignore the messages. SD doesn't talk to me much any more, because she doesn't have the nerve to talk to me in person; she doesn't have the class. I have no problem looking SD straight in the eye and having conversation with her, in a civil manner; it actually intimidates her to be in the same room with me; GOOD! This is strange, because I've never had words with her. I know my coolness and actions have finally got the message, that I'm not playing her games any longer.

I finally accomplished her leaving me alone. All I ever did was ignore and quit responding. "Silence IS Golden"; at least for now, because my SD will never give it up, I know that; I just enjoy the moment.

My SD is a toxic mean mouthed woman; there are a good deal of people, not only family members, as well as myself, that have become her enemy, because of her mouth. I even had a neighbor tell me a few days ago, she felt sorry for me having to put up with my SD.

So do not respond and stand your ground for New Years. Happy New Year and enjoy your time on your date with DH.

Smile

still learning's picture

Keep her on permanent ignore! Let her fight her one sided battle. If you really want to reply then say what you have to say here.