You are here

Thank You Note and Mixed Messages

MrsZipper's picture

This is an update to my last post:

https://www.steptalk.org/node/231244

Yesterday afternoon when I got home there was a gift bag on our doorstep and 2 cards in the mailbox. The gift bag was for DDs so I opened the cards. The first one was a thank you note from SD29 and SSIL thanking us for our "amazingly generous and thoughtful" wedding gift. It said they were looking forward to using their beautiful dishes for years to come and they were so happy to have MIL's china hutch. I was not aware we had given them the hutch or dishes, I thought that DH had written a check. Then it said they hoped we could join them for Thanksgiving and put our gift to good use. I opened up the second card and it was an invitation to the "First Annual Zipper-SSIL Lastname Thanksgiving Feast". I'll come back to that.

I checked our credit card statement to see if we had made any large purchases recently and 2 stood out. One was a $13,800 charge to a store on SD's registry. Those were some expensive dishes! Another was a $2,300 charge to a furniture restoration place, for something related to the hutch I guess, which has been in storage and in itself is a very valuable antique. We were indeed generous, much more than the $10,000 DH and I had discussed prior to the wedding.

About the Thanksgiving invitation - DH and I have hosted Thanksgiving for the last 10 years. We have around 15 people over, a mix of family and friends. I enjoy cooking the turkey and all of the sides - I especially love baking and decorating autumn-themed desserts. It is the only holiday I have done consistently for a large group because it is my favorite holiday. We invite the skids every year and they have come for the meal twice but usually just stop by later for dessert. Now SD wants to host and make this her holiday permanently if "First Annual" is any indication.

The bag was for DDs, it was a thank you note for the vitamix and frame, 2 boxes of chocolate truffles from the wedding, and 2 mason jars of cinnamon peanut butter that SD made using the vitamix. DDs were so happy SD liked their gift and that she used it to make them something. DH was happy because of how thoughtful SD was, and that DDs were happy. I am the only one who is unhappy.

Before, this gesture would have seemed sweet. Now that I know how skids really feel, that there isn't any love on their side, it seems fake. After not being invited to SD's wedding and telling DH they weren't close, SD does this nice thing for DDs? Then she invites us to spend a holiday in her home, but its a holiday that I enjoy cooking and have a tradition of hosting? And we got the invite for SS26's wedding next month, girls are not invited. Lots of mixed signals.

After SDs wedding I told DH I wanted to put some distance between the girls and the skids - not talk about them so much, not invite them to DD's events. I didn't want DDs to get their feelings hurt if they eventually found out that their relationship is one sided. DH disagreed and said that the wedding made him see that yes there were bigger issues going on, but we needed to make more of an effort to be closer with the skids, not move farther away from them.
He has vowed to strengthen our relationship with the skids. Getting SD a meaningful gift was part of that. This Thanksgiving invitation and peanut butter are his "proof" that the skids are open to including us in their lives more and that he has the right idea. He is thrilled we are invited to Thanksgiving and wants us to go, regardless of our tradition.

I'm unsure if they are really willing to form a relationship with us - I think they care about a relationship with DH, but I think they are continuing the same fake nice as before, all for DH's benefit. I don't know how you can ever truly know if you are getting closer to someone when they have fooled you into thinking there was nothing wrong before. If it is fake nice I really don't want to go to SD's and give up spending this holiday with my family.

moeilijk's picture

My mom came to my wedding. That was all the present I needed. Your DH has confused being the bank to being in a relationship. His heart will be broken when he realises it, but you have quite some time since he is clearly an ostrich wearing a blindfold.

Do what you think is right. You're not mean-spirited, you just want to spend time and energy on things you enjoy, like hosting a Thanksgiving dinner.

ldvilen's picture

This ↑↑↑, above. Don't lose yourself in all of this. When you are a step-, you have to be an advocate for yourself. Love your DH, but watch out for yourself and you don't have to be a doormat. Don't go if you don't want to, and if DH wants to go alone, fine. Let the chips fall where they may with adult step-kids.

P.S. By the way, whenever someone says, "take the high road," what they really mean is just keep laying yourself out as a doormat. All that will get you is stepped on time and time again.

MrsZipper's picture

Yes! I asked him what he was thinking when we clearly agreed 10k, and he told me that I had told him to decide on presents for the skids. In anger over DDs not being invited I did tell him he could handle it but that does not include spending 6k more than we agreed!

zerostepdrama's picture

I can not wrap my head around the dishes but... what is done is done...

I would keep doing my Thanksgiving tradition. SD is married now and is probably trying to establish her own traditions. That will happen with all kids as they get older. Could she probably of thought of another holiday, Yes. But she didn't. I would keep doing what you have been doing.

I find it odd that she put some effort and thought into this gift for your girls but couldn't bother to invite them to her own wedding? I mean I have friends that I adore and may not adore their children but I would still invite them to the wedding if I was allowing other friends to bring their kids.

And now her sisters are good enough to come into her home for Thanksgiving dinner, but not good enough for her wedding? That makes no sense?

And if she is asking for $13,000 dishes on her registry I am assuming they have some kind of money, so really now that I think about it, I don't think it would have hurt much to invite her siblings to the wedding, cost couldn't have been a factor. Is it possible that BM didn't want your girls at the wedding? Maybe because of jealousy?

MrsZipper's picture

SD registered at 3 stores, all high end - the vitamix that DDs picked out was a mid priced item at $400. The skids and their partners and their families do make a lot of money. The crazy thing about the dishes is that she only registered for "everyday" dishes, and that was still a few thousand dollars, and 95% of all 3 registries were completed before the wedding. So I don't even know what dishes these are.

Yes, adding DDs to the guest list would not have been a burden. I went into that in the previous post. She told DH it was a small wedding (it wasnt really) and they weren't close.

MrsZipper's picture

I wasn't angry about the amount exactly...I was but more disappointed that after everything that happened at the wedding that he thinks SD deserves the finest china known to man when she thinks nothing of hurting our daughters feelings.

Yes that was just for dishes and matching serving pieces. I'm sure the receipt is in his email so I will look tonight. I am also curious to find out what pattern costs that much.

CANYOUHELP's picture

This china must be coming out of some royal palace somewhere...dang, I would like to know the brand too...certainly not Noritake.

CANYOUHELP's picture

I am so sorry, must be my serious lack of class and taste. But what I can do with 13K, would have nothing to do with dishes!

I do not think I would do it for my own daughter, even if I won the PowerBall...what if one breaks; perhaps a large serving platter (1000.00, easily), God forbid...suicide time.

marriageplus2's picture

I wouldn't know what food tastes like on 13 thousand dollar dishes let alone 300 dollar dishes. Ehco, your life must be fabulous. Food tasts fine on my American made corelle ware. These days one should feel fortunate to have food at all.

Journey Perez's picture

WoW that is a generous gift! even the $10k you both agreed on is generous! I would have been livid finding out he spent more than the agreed upon amount.

As for Thanksgiving. Keep your tradition and let SD make her own. If DH wants to abandon you on Thanksgiving to join SD for her first annual Thanksgiving celebration than screw him. Maybe he can stop by her celebration for dessert and let them all know you couldn't make it since you are hosting guests at your annual event.

sandye21's picture

"IMO he actually treats you worse than your SD does." I totally agree. His nonchalant attitude floors me. "So I spend $6000 more and not tell DW. No big deal because I'm the big Kahuna of the house." It's not about money. It's about trust and respect - and DH doesn't seem to care.

SD's thank you to DDs along with the cheap peanut butter DOES make one wonder if she is trying to keep Daddy happy without putting out too awful much. I think it was an insult. But then, I can't understand why the DDs gave her anything for the wedding if they weren't invited.

And on top of that, SS did not invite your DDs to his wedding. This speaks volumes. Are you going to spend the same on him? This time I would be asking why he did not invite DDs.

One thing to consider: When your DDs get married will SD and SS be spending $16000 on each of them? Or will they again say, "We're not that close"?

MrsZipper's picture

SS told DH that the girls were invited to the ceremony but not the reception, which is adults only. The wedding is a long long long car ride away, or a short flight and a long car ride away. SS thought it didn't make sense for them to spend so long traveling to go to an hour long ceremony and spend the rest of the time in a hotel room, so they were left off the invite. I understand it's his wedding but still stings.

I don't think I would spend 16000 on anyone other than my DDs or DH. I do think they would spend 400 on the girls for their weddings though.

MrsZipper's picture

It was dropped off sometime during the day. That would have been awkward I hadn't even considered it!

No girls are way too young to have jobs but they wanted to get them a present and this is what they picked. We paid but their name was on it.

SS29 isn't changing her name. SD31 won't when she gets married and SS26s fiancee isn't changing it either. It's weird to me too. I asked SD29 what her children's last name will be and they are going to hyphenate.

That's what it feels like. Doing it to keep DH happy. That makes me so sad because I thought we had blended and DH wants for us to be a big happy family so badly.

notsobad's picture

O/T - I hate hyphenated last names. What happens when two hyphenated people get married, the kids get 4 last names????

I don't really care if anyone changes their name when they marry but pick one or the other for the kids.

notarelative's picture

If you hyphenate your kid's name you should do both kids name the same way. I know one family where one kid is Smith-Jones and the other is Jones-Smith.

Exjuliemccoy's picture

AND the OP's two bios?

I'm agog at the amount of debt this guilty dad just saddled his family with.

Exjuliemccoy's picture

I agree with the other posters about keeping Thanksgiving at your home. Your daughters deserve to grow up with their own family traditions, and I wouldn't trade that for the faux family Thanksgiving invitation that your H bought for 16k. Your H won't like it, but adapt the stance that you are committed to giving your daughter the happiest childhood possible, and stick to it.

You are treading a difficult path here, because you are essentially dealing with a delusional person. Your DH seems soley motivated by guilt and a wish for that Brady Bunch happy family, while you are sensitive to nuance, slights, and ulterior motives. The two of you are wearing different goggles with different filters, so being direct with him wont get you anywhere. EXCEPT on the subject of charging 16k without your agreement. That is outrageous (and in my marriage, a deal breaker), and he needs to feel the pain for it. Not only would I establish clear financial limits that apply to both spouses, but I would embark on a campaign of household austerity designed to make him suffer. 16k PLUS INTEREST doesn't just grow on trees, and you need to make your H experience discomfort. Serve cheap foods he doesnt like, make him rewear dry clean items, shut off the cable tv, cancel club and gym memberships - whatever creature comforts and luxuries he enjoys, hit him there, hard. Not out of spite, or bi!chyness, but because that's what adults have to do when they unexpectedly incur a huge debt.

Exjuliemccoy's picture

True, nevertheless the OP's husband still exceeded the agreed upon amount for the wedding gift, and he's set a very dangerous president. There needs to be consequences for going rogue like that.

CANYOUHELP's picture

True, the best thing that could happen is that he gets caught. Just love it....God does work in mysterious ways.

MrsZipper's picture

This will not put us in debt, and I prefer he charges it so that we get points. It is a lot of money, but I'm not so worried about that part it's just what it symbolizes. We agreed on 30k for skid weddings, 10 per child. This will not bankrupt us. I don't want that number to jump to 48 without deciding together.

CANYOUHELP's picture

So true MrsZipper... It is not about the money, it is about the future; it's more about the facts vs. what was agreed, etc. Unfortunately, when one partner skirts the agreement, it makes it much easier for the other to do the same. Mine likes to deal in cash, it is harder for me to trace than the credit card, etc...LOL. But, he is so tight, they are not going to get thousands out of him, so it does not worry me, other then the lying and misleading me.

But, they make certain I catch him...now, he knows this and it has made him much more trustworthy; though I doubt I will ever fully trust him again, after catching him lying about stupid things, like 25.00; that is not even worth the risk to me.

CANYOUHELP's picture

The money is not as important as being intentional and not communicating with her beforehand-- using a joint account, that alone, is enough to send any person over the edge. For that kind of money, anybody would give you peanut butter and a thank you note! My husband does some of this (on an much smaller scale); they know he is not telling me, so they send him thank you notes to the house with the amounts listed, to make certain I do know...I think it is funny, because I ask him how much did he give, and if he actually gave 50.00, he will tell me 25.00. So, then I show him the card meant for me, really..... that states..."Thank you for the fifty." The money never mattered, but the lying and hiding, only breaks down trust.

They are not going to let him get away with anything, I appreciate that--they are helping me keep him on the up and up!

And, changing this venue for Thanksgiving, is equally as intentional, with the goal is to make you invisible, just like your daughter who is not invited to occasions-- given you do enjoy this celebration.

I bet you will regret having this unilateral change horribly, even the first year if forced upon you because...This is more about controlling you....

But if you must go; never go over except for dessert.

Just say NO....

AWWKNSWTD's picture

Can I ask you a general question (which of course you can ignore)?

What is your H's relationship with his EX? Is it possible that there is residual bitterness over their divorce that she holds you accountable for == and by relationship your kids. You had to be included, but your SD choose to exclude your girls because of their mother's feelings?

Would her mother be at Thanksgiving? Or does she do something with her husband's family?

MrsZipper's picture

There isn't a relationship- they don't have any reason to communicate with one another. She remarried before we got married. DH is a little bitter because she wouldn't help him with visitation when they were teens and would refuse to come, and behaved abominably when they did. He was sure she was egging them on. I'm a little bitter about that too. He never said a bad word about BM to the skids though, nor did I.

BM and SF would probably be at Thanksgiving. Even more reason why I don't want to go. I can't even imagine not seeing my family in exchange for seeing BM and her family. At the wedding both sides were polite. Someone above said impeccable manners and that is it, with an icy tinge.

AWWKNSWTD's picture

I would say no to Thanksgiving -- but if the schedule works out your DH can take the girls (you could go too if you want) for coffee, etc like the SDs have been doing at your house on occasion. You have an easy reason why -- the people who come to your house count on you. And you don't have to go because you are entertaining, cleaning up, etc.

For certain families, a gift that size would not be out of the ordinary -- especially since he didn't give the wedding. (It would make me uncomfortable to receive a gift that size from anyone -- but given the initial budget you had set, he clearly thought that was the right range.)

Your step kids sound a bit nutty. It certainly doesn't sound like they have really defined the relationship with your girls in a way that makes linear sense. They come to the kids' events, but don't invite them to the wedding? all kinds of crazy there.

Acratopotes's picture

:jawdrop: I will make sure DH pays all on his own for that gift... it's just..... I do not even have words for it.
What was he thinking... bloody idiot, he better start saving up for your girls weddings, it's going to cost him a fortune...

Now for TG - you host your party and decline to go to theirs, DH better be sure to be the host at your party, he 's married to you, nothing wrong with SD trying her hand at it, now that she's a married woman, but there's no law saying you have to go to hers, keep to your own tradition.

For skids and your girls relationship, Hon accept it, there will never be any kind of relationship between them, the age difference is just to big. You can't thing for one minute that 20 somethings will invite pre teens/teens to their functions, and you should not invite 20 somethings to your girls events. Yes they are blood family, but the age cap is too big.

Rags's picture

So, DH was sneaky in how he gifted for his daughters wedding. Time to give that man some clarity that he does not exceed set budgets without discussion with you and your agreement ahead of time.

I would own his ass for this were I you.

People who live in an eternal state of Ostrich Syndrome regarding manipulative people are so pathetic and their purposfully chosen blindness towards people like your SD and SSIL just chaps my butt.

Grrrrrrr!

MrsZipper's picture

Drumroll please...the Famous Fourteen Thousand Dollar dishes:

ETA: My comment was moderated, maybe because of the link I posted, so Google Haviland Oasis china.

I opened DH's email and found a receipt for 12 place settings and several serving pieces. DH had forwarded the invoice to SD31 so I scrolled down and found their earlier email chain. Over 40 emails had gone back and forth between DH, SD31 and even SS26 on this very important subject. The hutch was SD31s suggestion to DH after he asked her to help brainstorm gift ideas. SD29 couldnt decide between 2 china patterns so she didn't register for any, and didnt want all of those boxes in her house before having someplace to put them. DH offered to get the china as well! SD31s SO family is friends with the family that owns the boutique where SD29 registered so SD called and made sure he got a hefty friends and family discount. Looking at everything he ordered and the price he paid this actually was the price after a hefty discount! Wow.

Acratopotes's picture

I have a better karma deal....

she will divorce after a year or 2, getting really attached to her expensive China... then she will meet a guy with a teen daughter.. her new SD.... that will break her china

twoviewpoints's picture

" Who the hell needs 12 place settings?"

As the receiver is hijacking Thanksgiving, I'm surprised the gift was only twelve settings.

Acratopotes's picture

hummmm....

When my family gets together and I'm talking about parents, brothers, SILS and children we are 16 people
When SO's family get together, parents brothers, sister,SILS and children they are 23

zerostepdrama's picture

Amen!

Tuff Noogies's picture

to me it's just kind of "meh". i would expect at that price for it to be GORGEOUS.

but hey, i like my collection. walmart mixed with yard-sale pieces (dont knock it - got a whole box of pier 1 plates, large and small, for 2.00!!! dh did gooooood.)

Done62's picture

I would have took the 13K Daddy offered and took a trip to Europe for a couple week or a second car. I could think of a lot of things I would rather have for 13K than dishes.

AWWKNSWTD's picture

I love Haviland china (maybe not this pattern though) but would have never registered for it and would be freaked out each time I used it. I do have friends that have it-- but I am pretty old and I don't think it was that expensive when I got married.

I think it is time for a conversation with your H about what he thinks a relationship between his children (all 5 of them) really looks like. Your oldest SD is nearly old enough to be your girls' mother. And I wonder if you are closer to his oldest D's age than his?

Anyway, even without the wedding shenanigans, I think his expectations were likely unrealistic, The kids are almost certainly always going to be in different places in their lives -- right now, ten years from now, 20 yrs from now, etc.

I have a friend whose remarried a man who is older and has grown children while she has tween and young teen kids. They all "get along" and enjoy meals etc together but not in sibling relationship but maybe in a aunt/niece relationship or distant cousin relationsip. And yes, the older kids sometimes pop in for a sports event (especially on a pretty day) or a ballet recital (how fun/cute/unique) but really aren't part of the younger kids daily orbit. I realize that this isn't a perfect analogy because the kids share no blood relationship, but I think it illustrates the challenges of having kids far apart in age.

MrsZipper's picture

I am closer to DHs age than SD31s age. What DH wants is for them to let us into their lives. They have no problem being involved in our lives but we are a bit walled off from theirs. Skids have big birthday parties for their friends and family, and then have separate dinners with the 4 of us. When SDs bought their houses we were invited over for dinner, but there was also a big housewarming party we weren't invited to. They interact with us by themselves, is the best way I can describe it. Its spilled over into their partners families who are now much closer with BMs side than ours. At the wedding that was very clear. I had never given any of this much thought until DH spelled it out for me and told me it has been bothering him for a while. That is why DH wants to go to Thanksgiving, we are being invited into their broader circle.

DH wants what you describe, and we mostly have it, aside from the weddings of course, and he wants a little more. Thinking about this now, what he really wants is what BM has. BM would never question her place in her kids lives, and DH does. If BM planned a family vacation, as she does every year, skids would not say no. They would argue about dates and locations and what hotel and the itinerary but if BM says let's go, they go. If BM asked they would never say "That's so sweet of you to think of us". Oh no, now I'm feeling bad for DH and I shouldn't be! Not bad enough to give up Thanksgiving though.

sandye21's picture

DH seems very desperate to have a place in the skids lives that he is trying to buy them into liking and accepting him. Poor man! But they won't accept you or your kids. It looks like he more attracted by the carrot on the other side of the fence than your family garden. Does this mean you will be going to SD's Thanksgiving dinner in the company of BM? After SS's wedding be prepared for a big letdown on DH's part.

notsobad's picture

"Thinking about this now, what he really wants is what BM has. BM would never question her place in her kids lives, and DH does."

This is quite the revelation.
It might be time for a heart to heart with him about how he's going to lose that with his younger DDs while he's chasing after the skids.
Your Thanksgiving dinner is part of that. Giving it up to try to build something with the skids is going to damage his closeness and future closeness with younger children.

He needs to accept the relationship that he has with the skids for what it is. While he may not be part of the bigger picture, he is still in the picture.

AWWKNSWTD's picture

I can see why your husband is bothered. My in-laws have three kids (including my H). For years, my MIL tried to do big family vacations like you describe, but one sister in law almost would never go. But she would always go with her in-laws. (I have no idea why) So it happens in intact families too.

Do his children observe the Jewish holidays? Is there an opportunity there for him to feel better connected?

MrsZipper's picture

Yes they observe the holidays. One person usually "owns" each dinner. SD31 took over the second night of Rosh Hashana a few years ago. DH has not been invited, but he doesn't really practice anymore because we are not raising the girls Jewish, and they probably don't want me intruding on their religious holiday and expect that the girls and I would join him. Maybe that is a compromise, DH can go by himself to some of the Jewish holidays. It'll be like he never got divorced! But I would rather do that than break our tradition.

TwirlMS's picture

That was a lovely wedding gift, especially having the grandmother's china cabinet restored to display them. Since DH didn't pay a dime for the wedding itself, it was totally appropriate that he contribute a gift of that china. The new couple will cherish that gift their whole lives and it will become an heirloom for their future generations. It was a lovely idea . He could have stuck to the 10k budget and just bought the plates and gradually added the serving dishes to their set on future birthdays or Christmas as a combined gift to the couple.

I have bone china that I inherited and I use it for every holiday dinner and birthday dinner. Right now it's in storage since we moved. My only grievance is it has to be hand washed! It's Royal Albert in a pattern that has been discontinued so I don't know the value, but I do know the other party named in the Will got a two carat diamond ring as equal distribution.

Aniki-Moderator's picture

Fruity, I'll be some plasticware and a roll of paper towels.

My dear, Fruity, of COURSE I'll get designs!! Would you like the kind that you tear your own size or standard?

Sporks from Taco Bell. Check.

BTW, I have some blue solo cups. I'll bring them so we have a variety.

Blue solo cups for Booze. Red for non-alkie.

I also prefer the tear your own.

Would you like Red White & Blue light or PBR?

Tuff Noogies's picture

you'll make toby keith have to school you if you stick to that directive.... how 'bout red for straight, blue for mixed drinks?

eta - case in point :
"Now I've seen you in blue and I've seen you in yellow
But only you red will do for this fellow
'Cause you are my Abbot to my Costello
And you are the fruit to my loom"

Red means STOP. As in STOP, this person is a) too young for booze, b) the designated driver, or c) does/cannot drink alcohol.

TwirlMS's picture

I have two words to say to Fruity: "judgmental much?"

I eat on paper plates quite often thank you.

I never asked for the gift of china. It was gifted to me from a dear relative's estate. The original owner received as a gift from her husband on their 25th wedding anniversary. I like to share the gift with my other relatives by treating them to a special dinner on them.

This lady that owned it was kind and generous with other people and I would like to think that she was not judged by others just because she appreciated the gift. She did not go out and buy it for herself. Either way, she was the kindest, most polite woman one would ever know, but of course, you've never met her.

CANYOUHELP's picture

Be glad Stepaside they do not come over. Unappreciative Skids do not thank you or acknowledge you-even in your own home, regardless of the amount of hard work and effort you go to--to make the occasion special for them. They simply ignore you and so does your husband until they leave; that is always cause for celebration!

Just say no...

notsobad's picture

So on the china theme, ExHs grandmother had a full 12 - 16 place set of Belleek Irish china along with about a dozen or more serving pieces. The tea/coffee service, serving dishes, platters, soup tureen, ect.

There was a fire and all the china was destroyed. TWENTY years later the sisters (ExH's aunts) were still fighting, really angrily fighting about who would have inherited it if it hadn't been lost in the fire.
AND it carried on to their daughters! They would say that Gma would have given it to my Mom and then she would have given it to me and her sister would say NO, I would have gotten it!
Craziness!

TwirlMS's picture

Well, if it isn't the gang from my ' Two Party Contrast ' thread!

Altogether now..........."Red solo cup.......I fill you up......let's have a party........proceed to party! "

dyed in the wool Toby Keith fan,

TwirlMS's picture

My stepkids have their Thanksgiving with their mother's side of the family. There is no way I would accept DH leaving our guests to run over for dessert with his former family when we together are hosting.

I would suggest to SD that you "would love to come to dinner, but we will have to make it another day, since others depend on me to host on Thanksgiving. How about the day after, since we would like to spend more individual time with you anyway?"

MrsZipper's picture

I like this idea. DH will not but I'm sure I am going to need lots of options in my arsenal.

Which holidays do your stepkids spend with you? Are they married?

TwirlMS's picture

The first year we were married, four years ago, we invited the stepkids for every holiday. Now they come for Christmas, July 4th, and birthdays. We stopped inviting them for Easter and Thanksgiving because they chose to attend the party at BM sister's house instead. That was fine with me because I always enjoy it more wihen I host just my own relatives , which total around 30 including children.

I know the skids would just love to steal DH over to their party, but ithey know by now, it's not going to happen.

TwirlMS's picture

I want to thank both of the ladies on this thread for recommending Replacements.com.

After scrolling through several pages, there it was! I was so excited to see them, and even pieces that I didn't know existed.

Whenever I see my aunts china, I think of how graceful and sweet she was and it brings back good memories for me.
Nearly all of my belongings have been in storage for the past year since we moved, and I guess I miss them. They have sentimental value and some day my granddaughter will be the hostess using them.

DH always calls me "the hostess with the mostest" but he's talking about the effort I put in, from the planning stage to the final cleanup.