You are here

Stepdaughter's wedding ...l.help!

Yasadora's picture

Hello all,

I am new here...but I am so happy to have found this! I have been married to my DH for 4 years, together almost 6. it is a second marriage for us both. we both have children from our original marriages.

From the beginning I knew that his divorce and post divorce relationships with his 2 daughters were strained at best. They have been over the past years distant, at times disrespectful and generally intolerant in many ways. my DH has not been perfect either...but at times it appears the suffering they all experienced was destructive...this is what I call the passive aggressive family....in the beginning when we had been together, they were polite...but it was generally tension filled....waiting for the post gathering email full of complaints and condemations....the youngest was in high school when we became a couple, the oldest was in college....

I have been nothing but gracious, and understanding and neutral in regards to how I engage with them. The pain and suffering for them all is clearly deep And it pains me to see the struggles.....now that they are older it is some what better...but the mother of these daughters continues to stoke the fires of resentment and disillusion.....it is extremely difficult to remain lovely!

I have attended graduations...and have had limited engagement with their mom do to some complicated religious affiliations ..... But through it all I have tried to remain adult and calm....
Now the olest is engaged...and this feels like hell .....

My DH wants to do the right thing...but the spin and myth making put forth by the mom is very difficult....I am watching a slow motion train wreck that I have absolutely no way of stopping...this is the most absolutely infuriating position I have been in with these children....and bluntly I have been in some difficult situations ...the stress and demands and expectations on my husband are crazy...and he is afraid that it is a big nasty emotional set up for him to be blamed and disenfranchised yet again....he will never be able to pay enough, do enough to meet the expectations...he feels they will treat him badly, and he is afraid he will be nothing but the bank roll ... He is anxious and depressed and so far has not been able to set a boundary....

Ok folks.... How do I live through this and come out on the other side? Support needed!

jennaspace's picture

I'm not sure what the problem exactly is with the wedding. Is it the thought of attending with all the drama makers? If so, I would just ignore them and enjoy the day (drink a little bubbly:). Weddings have so many people that you can generally steer clear of the drama queens. I know, I did this at my SDs small wedding, it can be done believe it or not. It's much harder at a graduation where you have to talk to the small family that comes to see the graduation. At a wedding there are many distractions between you and the BM, skids.

Is there a problem w/finances or is it that Dh is being asked to do too much in terms of planning?

TweetyPie's picture

I can relate to this, save for the fact that my stepkids mother has passed on and is relegated to sainthood, which just leaves all the day to day dealing with their constant BS to us sinners. My SD24 is about to have the Wedding of the Century (to her) and we have gone above and beyond to help her, paying for the hall and half of her very expensive (and gaudy) dress, only to be dissed and treated with the utmost disrespect from her in ways too lengthy to catalogue here. My advice is to follow what one of the previous commentors posted; leave the wedding to the SD. If she's old enough to get married, or feels she is, then she's old enough to pay for it herself or find an alternate way. Neither you nor your DH should have to pay for a thing when you are both being treated with disrespect or being used/unappreciated. I understand setting boundaries can be hard but it is a necessity in blended families or you will continue to be walked on and strained to the limit, like I have been. It's hard to enforce the boundary setting at first but once you do, you feel better and better, even though there is a mourning period for those lost ideals (which I am currently going through). Best of luck with this, I truly do feel your pain!

overworkedmom's picture

I-m so happy This. Or Pick one or 2 items for the wedding to give as gifts- like the venue or photographer. Set a limit and stick to it.

emotionaly beat up's picture

I agree with any moments, both you and he need to come to an agreement on how much you can afford to contribute to this wedding and then tell SD that's it. This is how much we can afford. End of story.

It intrigues me in this day and age that the father is still supposed to pay for the wedding. This idea came about in times when women didn't work, they were a burden on the men as men had to fully support her all her life, so daddy was more than happy to pass on the burden to someone else, and along with throwing the wedding went the 2000 cows etc., These days women are no longer necessarily a burden on their husbands, they are able to work, they are able to contribute to the family finances, they are educated and employable and often earn more than the man they marry, so daddy has no need to pay someone to take her off his hands. In fact perhaps it's time things turned around to were the future husband should be paying daddy to take this money earning daughter off his hands, as the new husband is going to get all the benefits of the education her daddy paid for. Smile

SD and her fiance' should pay for their own wedding, and if parents, inlaws etc., wish to contribute that should be seen as a privellage, not a right.

Yasadora's picture

Thanks all for commenting .... I guess my post was kind of a rant... As much as seeking advice. I thought, emotionally I had been dealing with it all... But this past month has been difficult. My Ysd22 graduated college out of state.. That was 4 days of what I call "pretend happy family Time" where I spent hours on end sitting with this passive aggressive family, not really engaging...watching the "drama" unfold... After reading a lot posted, I am luck enter off than a lot of folks... There is no hostility towards me. I am very special (lol) I'm invisible!
But I do watch what happens to my DH as he tries to remain in his daughters lives. It is sad and infuriating.... I am happy that he has started therapy and their behaviors are a large reason why.....
The engagement has been way too much up close and personal time for good OL' invisible me! But I guess invisible is better than active fighting at least while
Sitting through another "why can't we be a family dinner"... Always at the most expensive resturaunts... Always not discussed with us.... Always a test...

I love the lump sum for the wedding idea and talk to my DH tonite!
Thanks for letting me vent.....

ItAlmostWorked's picture

Yasadora-sorry for your troubles. Is your DH a guilty Dad usually? I agree with previous posters to just tell SD the dollar amount you can contribute and let her decide what to do with it. If she is anything other than grateful for the assistance then shame on her. It is too bad that what is supposed to be a joining of two lives to make a (legally bound) union has turned into just another ritual of excess spending.

Sounds like time to get your tough skin ready and perfect the art of disengagement to survive this. I dread it myself, hope to offer $ for the new couple to elope when it is our turn!!! But we'll see about that. I could never suggest it. Anything I suggest is shot down and torn apart by especially one of my SDs.

Wishing you the best!

Rachel Imenu's picture

The step after the cars, graduation ceremonies, college degrees and weddings, is when they start asking about the will. And God help you if your DH ever winds up in the hospital and he hasn't given you the right to make decisions for him. The second he is incapacitated is the second the gloves will come off. We've seen some stories where the stepchildren and the ex-wife showed up and tried to bully the SM out of the hospital room. And then if your DH dies before you, they will come after you with a vengeance.

I'm going thru this now with my step kids, but it's only us, their mother has been out of the picture for years.

Miserable, miserable but work to develop a better attitude has brought me thru to the other side. All the dust will settle one day.

Rach

Orange County Ca's picture

More and more couples are paying their own way.

The brides parent(s) paying was simply a tranfer away from paying a dowery. Dad explains that telling the girl she is not so much of a burden that he needs to pay to get rid of her.

If the girls doesn't understand well that's the way of todays world. She needs to get with it.

Elope - go to the courthouse - etc etc.

Yasadora's picture

thanks again....
Stepaside, I think you have hit it on the nose....in fact my DH and I have has the "what happens if..." conversation. We have wills, and healthcare proxy singed and sealed....copies with lawyers...doctors etc.
it is a sad state of affairs... but what you described is what I have seen....As I said before, there is a passive aggressive "calm" with these daughters...but I know in every fiber of my being they are not to be trusted.... I hope the therapy helps for my DH...he needs to start putting in boundaries...
He just wants to be in their lives...he is not guilty...no affairs etc...that ended the marriage...but the price for admission into his daughter's lives is so high. I am not playing...I remain invisible!....

Yasadora
\

Yasadora's picture

Thanks all.....it continues! It amazes me the amount of trash written on the Internet about step moms and weddings.... It appears the SD has read some of this (I'm careful here too....lol) and he continues to be passive aggressive and hasn't attacked directly...but I see.....
The DH has let it be known that I'm sitting with him....lol...I wouldn't go if I couldn't do that.....
So this is a marathon of wedding hell! Hopefully the therapy will work on my DH and help him find his boundaries!

emotionaly beat up's picture

I know these adult step kids feel entitled to absolutely everything that daddy has. I know they think that his second wife is nothing now, and never will be anything, and that when daddy dies, every single thing he and his second wife every worked hard for will all be theirs, if second wife has children, well so what, they mean nothing either and all the assets will go to daddy's precious children. However, after years of seeing this first hand, I still don't get it. Sure, they are brought up to be "special" they are taught that the world is their oyster, mummy and daddy believe they can do no wrong, and if a teacher or a policeman or any other human being dare to say they have, daddy and mummy will defend them to the hilt. Now, this kind of upbringing reaps adults with a distorted view of reality. However, I don't get how they go out to work, they see how other people behave, they certainly get a knock to the head when a new wife comes into the picture and says, hey! don't pull that crap with me. So why don't they ever catch on that their behaviour is not normal and is in fact obnoxious. When boyfriends, fiances, employers, step parents say, okay that's enough I'm done with you, how is it they never stop and think that "they" have an attitude, how can they think time after time that it is everyone else's fault. How can they possibly believe when they are 30 and upwards that they are never wrong.

More importantly why can't daddy see that no matter how much he gives it will never be enough. My husband's ex wife it appears was very similar to the daughter she raised. Seems she only saw her father once a fortnight on pension day and she always came away with money. This old man lived in Government Housing, had nothing and yet she put out her hand to take part of his pension every fortnight. Apparently her mother had left her father when she was 3. Despite the mother trying to contact her on numerous occassions, this woman would have nothing to do with her. When the mother died she received a letter from a solicitor which she ignored, as she was not going to pay one dollar to bury her mother. Long story short, 12 months later she finds out that the mother had left her $20K, which she accepted. Maybe this is in the DNA and the upbringing just enhances it. My DH cannot see the similarities between his ex and his daughter but the rest of the family sure can.