You are here

Stepdaughter bombed at her 1st graduate job interview

shamds's picture

that hubby knew since she recently graduated in her business degree specialty and he has a friend working at this company that had positions available so hubby helped pass daughters resume, she got emailed to come on monday for interview, she noticed it the day before and rush rush to go to interview next morning, because she never called them she had to wait a whole day at bm place till her interview at 5-6pm. 

Day before hubby told her to look online on interview tips and sort of questions they will ask and also check out the company website because they’ll likely ask “what do you know about our company”

bm and stepdad told her after graduating in her business degree in property management to work at a friends pet store (she wanted to gain more retail experience), something her job does not require as its more admin/clerical/analytical work involved.

interview goes on with 6 applicants being interviewed at the same time as sd, she bombed the interview and simply sat their quiet when asked 5-6 questions and she messaged her dad with a laughing emoji because it’s hilarious she wasn’t prepared and bombed the interview.

hubby told her if he is in a position to pass her resume he will but its upto the applicant to make themselves succeed. She knows she did bad and said there were way more applicants more qualified, experienced and had better knowledge than her and more verbal. 

Oh well sd 22 has sponged off dad her whole life and still sees him as a bank. She thinks if she never gets a graduate job that daddy will give her money anyways for life.... WRONG!!

if people can’t make the effort to prep for an interview or look up general company info, they don’t deserve the respect of getting an interview in the first place. Stepkids have such a flawed view of the world so no wonder its a bloody shocker they aren’t equipped for basic job interviews, that and because they have stupid bm and stepdad who keep the kids stupid and under their control

Kes's picture

There is same issue with my SD23 (almost 24)  - she has done a degree, a drama course, and now a masters degree, all funded from the bank of Mum and Dad and her stepfather.   She is an entitled snowflake and when her latest course ends next summer I can see her being the same as your SD22.    Adulting is not her strong point, and tbh I am quite glad that DH no longer earns gazillions any more, but is self employed for the last 2 yrs - so there just isn't the money there any more, for him to be "the walking wallet".  

tog redux's picture

Honestly, I bombed a few interviews as a young adult, too.  I think it's a learning experience that's not isolated to stepkids.

Myss.Tique D'Off's picture

"Interviewing" is also a skill that is learned. Your SD should at least have made an effort to get in some practice on what to expect and have swotted up on the company she was being interviewed by.  It may help if she visits a local job centre to get some practise in interviews.

All things being equal on the educational and experiential side of things with candidates, we always hire for aptitude, attitude and temperament. You can teach/hone skill, you can not teach attitude or temperament...

shamds's picture

But in this case is hubby went out of his way to help her so she would be more independent and not rely on him financially as a bank and since he has a contact at the company it was no big deal.

But the problem is despite the basic advice hubby gave to her that would have taken not even an hour to learn about, she ignored it and just sat there during interview silent when they asked her questions, she couldn’t even answer “i don’t know what to say or don’t have an example to give you”, it was just silence.

So if someone clearly is not enthusiastic applying for graduate job in their graduate field, why bother applying??

I think after 2-3 of these interviews from resume hubby hands to his friends at other companies and the same stuff happens that he will not throw her that lifeline and will just say he’s gone out of his way for nothing and sd 22 can’t show the respect and appreciation to go to an interview prepared

KC is not the stepmother's picture

I've been on my own since I was 18.  I couldn't afford to bomb an interview.  One of my early bosses told me that she hired me because I shook her hand and looked her in the eye. 

susanm's picture

That sounds painfully familiar.  Get the job or don't eat!  I vividly remember being so nervous because I was desperate for the money that I could barely string two words together.  I took a deep breath, said "I know I am making a mess of this but I really want this job and I promise you won't regret giving me a chance - can we please start over?"   I was offered the job right then which let me stay in my tiny apartment and scrape together enough money to keep my unbelievably crappy car running.   I was so damned grateful that I busted ass to keep the promise to make her not regret hiring me.  Never doubt the drive of a desperate teenager trying to keep a roof over her head without resorting to the stripper pole!

susanm's picture

You can teach proper etiquette and how to answer the "what is you biggest weakness" stupid questions but giving a damn is not a skill that can be taught.  Whether someone actually WANTS the job is something the interviewer can tell.  Unless they are desperate and just looking to put a butt in a seat they are going to wait until someone walks in with genuine interest.

classyNJ's picture

I really have nothing but when I read the headline I thought she was drunk at the interview!  My mother always says "wow she is bombed" instead of drunk LOL

Rags's picture

We solved this by creating a burning platform and guiding SS to enlist in the armed forces.

Sounds like your SD should consider the same.

7.5 years later he is doing great. Still in the service, doing pretty well, and says he is planning on making it a career.  He will have 20yrs in before he turns 39 so he has plenty of time for a private sector career on top of his military career.

Kids have to feel the pain before they learn.. at least that is the case for many of them.

Good luck getting rid of this one.

shamds's picture

They’re the ones causing it to others... they have never had to slave it off or work hard for their money and been pampered, thats why its such a frustration for hubby but he is getting better at not feeling guilty for the tough love

Frustrated4ever's picture

The laughing emoji is the repulsive part. I would be so embarassed let alone think I could tell my parents like they would think it is funny.  

shamds's picture

Thats why hubby told her off. Its such an embarrassing thing but she laughed it off like she’s so proud she sat there like an idiot not answering anything 

oneoffour's picture

DH should tell her that as she is not taking this seriously neither will he. He will not pass her resume to anyone else because he doesn't want to be associated with her taking this as a big joke and wasting time. They did this as a favor and another person missed out on a chance to shine because of her lacksidaisal attitude. Oh and the Bank of Daddyo is shutting down on Jan 7th 2019.

My niece did a degree in Theater Stage Management. Very nice and pretty. Completed the entire course with great grades. But .... she couldn't find a job. Well who would have thunk it??? Now she did a 1 yr crash course and starts next year as a teacher for 6-7 yr olds (School year starts in Jan in NZ and Australia). She had to get her act together and realise those 'passions' do not always pay the bills. Starving in an attic for your craft really isn't all that cracked up to be.

shamds's picture

its all fine to recommend someone or pass their resume but if they can’t deliver then they tarnish your name and all you worked for so hubby really needs to think hard before referring.

hubby is a good natured person and will always help people if he can without expectating they return the favour but you should appreciate it. 

These sk just keep shooting themselves in the foot

cyberwoman's picture

What???? She has a graduate degree and actually goes on interviews??? My 30-year-old stepson is a loser, took him 10 years to get a BA in basketweaving or whatever, doesn't have a job, and he ain't looking either, BM is paying for his rent and utilities and DH is giving him money for food, gas, and weed. Count your blessings, your SD is actually employable and is trying. 

shamds's picture

as she lacks the skills to succeed at an interview yet alone make a good first impression despite being given advice what to do, she just refuses not to. The point is she isn’t trying despite hubby telling her send me your resume, took her months to send her cv and resume and it was half arsed made up one too with heeps of errors.

she’s just like the other siblings that its such an inconvenience and so much hard work. The point is she isn’t trying to succeed or make a good impression at the interview but sabotaging herself, then expects hubby with connections to hand her a job which isn’t what hubby will do

cyberwoman's picture

Yup, I totally get it, my 30 yo SS had a total of 3 jobs in his life, 2 of which was through my own business, the third he got on his own. He now grows pot but the jury is sill out on if that is a truly profitable endeavor. *biggrin*  

cyberwoman's picture

Forgot one more thing I wanted to share. I have a 19 yo niece, who is a full time pre-med student, has not one but TWO jobs, pays her own bills, bought her own car, that she takes care of, pays for her own neccessities, the only thing we help her with is her books that she needs for school.  Cannot comprehend how DH is not embarrassed when he sees this child who is 11 years of SS' junior, thriving and his 30 yo son an absolute loser who is relying on parents to pay his rent, utilities and provide him with grocery money. I'd be devastated to have produced a child who is not capable of taking care of  himself. 

Rags's picture

The idiocy evident on far too many resum'es and CVs is incredible.  I have done a ton  of resume consulting and interview preparation consulting.  Mostly with Engineers who tend to think that their genious and amazing work contributions will get them any job they want at any time.  Nope, human connection and having an egaging resume'/CV are far more critical than demonstration of genious.

In my experience at least.

shamds's picture

need to sell yourself as being the best candidate for the job. There was so much useless stuff in her resume it was 4 pages long and just jam packed. I’ve always been told keep it concise and relevant and max 2 page resume and 1 page cv. When its so jam packed full of info and not laid out simply it just becomes overwhelming to the prospective employer who’s seen hundreds of resume already. 

She’s been moving job to job which makes it harder to sell yourself because you’re seen as not stable, it’ll be difficult to blame the companies as the problem. 

She claimed her english was excellent, despite many grammatical and various errors throughout her resume and the fact she had to re-do her english course at uni 3 times to graduate and barely passed.

she would have been better off saying her english is conversational but would like to improve on it at work rather than lie and have a prospective manager see she lied about it...