You are here

Step Grandma just plain tired

eaglet62's picture

My husband and I have custody of 2 of his grandkids. Technically I'm their step-grandma but I am grandma to them. We got these children because we were doing their mom a favor by taking care of them while she dealt with legal issues of her own making. Because we went through the probate court, they did investigations on all of us and I guess hers came out less than glowing. We've now had these children for 2 3/4 years. There are court hearings because she's trying to get the children back. I drive 1 hour a week just for their therapy because they are so screwed up because of her. I could send them home but I wouldn't be able to look myself in the mirror ever again. These kids were abused, neglected (mentally, physically, emotionally) they were under nourished when they came to us. We have gone through our Nest-egg to the tune of about 27,000 dollars providing for these children. To sum it up, I'm the bad guy. I stole her children (according to her) I am keeping them because I can't have any (according to her) I'm tired tired tired of being brow beaten. It's emotionally taxing to be in this situation. I have a grown son. Had I wanted more I would have had more. My husband and I were semi-retired. Now I'm working part time. He works full time. Our 3-4 day weekend trips are a thing of the past. . . As is our sex life. These children, are beautiful children. Don't get me wrong. I love the kids. They're almost pathetic, in a way. They're lovely but broken and I'm trying so hard to help them heal themselves. But I'm SO SO SO tired of the constant barrage of legal wranglings and nasty inuendo, I'm tired of feeling angry and hatred 24/7. When I witness a behavior which is so obviously a symptom of their abuse . . . I seethe I just want to wring her neck. But I swallow it down and keep on keepin' on. Thank goodness she lives 13 hours away. . . . Boy it felt good to vent. Thanks.

Last Nerve's picture

First of all - welcome to the site.

I want to commend you for taking in those kids, and being the parent to them that their mother hasn't been. It's a tough, thankless job, but hopefully in the end, it'll be worth it.

I'm curious - what does your DH have to say about all of this? Especially about his daughter attacking you, and accusing you of "stealing her children"?

Hang in there - you've come to the right place.

LN