You are here

Step Daughter Wants To Take Me and My Partner For Dinner After Treating Me Like I Did Not Exist At Her Wedding

SavvyKim's picture

Really - why would she even think I would accept the invitation after the way I was treated at her wedding. My partner came home last Friday and simply said his daughter and new husband were taking us out to dinner! I replied, that she needs to come and face me first so I can let her know how upset I am with the way I was treated:

1: Not given corsage
2: Sat at the back in the ceremony
3: Alienated by her and partner's boys
4: Not called down for photos
5: Sat on a different table (not on the top table with my partner) with my back towards the top table
6: Treated like I did not exist

I have been with my partner for 11 years, get on with his ex-wife really well, so I could understand this if I was new on the scene. His kids have invited themselves on holiday with us in the past and of course, daddy pays for everything, including all of the wedding.

I have totally disengaged myself from them, the boys do not now want to know me because I upset their sister, but that is fine with me - I am loving it as I do not come home to a house full of his kids and partners anymore - it is absolutely blissful now. I do not even ask him how any of them are - I simply do not care anymore.

His daughter sent me an invite to her kid's 2nd birthday via FB, I simply un-followed the post, so maybe she will get the hint I do not want to know anymore, the further I can keep them away the better. I was totally sick and tired of everything revolving around his kids, so this just suits me fine. I have un-followed all of his kids on FB now and I am thinking of unfriending them or blocking them, what do you guys think?

Willow2010's picture

1)…Im on the fence here about the corsage. Not sure I would expect that.
2) … Oh hell naw! Why did your DH not have you sit with him. Spineless wimp.
3)… Meh, I don’t care about being ignored by people that I don’t really know.
4)…Again…where the heck was your DH? He should have called you down himself for a photo. It would not have killed anyone to have a photo taken with the brides dad and wife.
5)…OMG! You have got to be kidding. Now that was uncalled for, for sure. And again…your DH should have never allowed this to happen. He should have pulled up a chair and plopped you down in it.
6)…It sounds like your DH treated you like you did not exist.

People learn how to treat other people. It sounds like you have more of a DH problem than a SD problem. Your DH allowed you to be treated that way. UGH, I cannot even imagine my DH allowing that to happen.

I don’t think I would require a face to face with the SD. Not sure if you were treated like this on purpose but I also know that planning a wedding can be hell and so much stuff gets overlooked. Maybe she did not mean to ignore you and maybe she was not the one that planned all of this. Your DH should have been the one to make sure you were included.

I think I would have just told DH that I did not want to have dinner with him since he treated you so bad at the wedding.

I would not block them. I would just unfollow and live your life. And I would make sure not one RED cent of MY money goes to any of his kids.

twoviewpoints's picture

One thing you must remember when you draw up your list of all the horrible things/ways you were treated to at SD's wedding. YOUR PARTNER. He paid for all this, he could have put a stop to it at any point...he chose not to.

He enabled, actually by funding without some input, encouraged the ill treatment you received. Would you like to know just how much of a financed by Daddy wedding my stepkid would have got if she/he planned in treating anyone, alone me, the way your SD treated you? Not a dime. Pay for your own wedding, Princess.

You are in a 'not going to win this one' as long as the grown *ss monsters father continues to support and enable this behavior and treatment.

Don't go to the dinner *shrugs*, the skids don't want you there to begin with. Or go and be miserable. Your choice. Just know that the skids will manage to use the upcoming dinner as 'see, Daddy, she's just evil, we tried and she shut us down'.

You'll be getting an earful of nasty from your Dh on how 'you don't like my kids, they try and they try with you and won't try with them and give them a second chance, you're trying to keep me form my grandchild too by rejecting the birthday party invite'.

I've got no advice for you, as you've been at this for years and the games just keep going because YOUR PARTNER ALLOWS IT. And you fail to put the cause and blame where it goes. These adult children are only doing what their father , one way or the other, puts his seal of approval on.

Yes, block and unfriend them on social media. But you can't block and unfriend your husband.

Acratopotes's picture

:jawdrop: seriously - you are angry because you where not treated like BM... I'm sorry but you are wrong here, you are not her mother and you can not sit at the top table, and you can not get anything meant for parents.

Your husband was wrong ditching you at the reception, he should've told them before hand he has no interest in sitting at the top table, he will be sitting with you. This is on your husband and not the SD.

I would simply go to dinner, no need to become best buddies afterwards, SD is trying, you are not giving her a change, yes they do not deserve it, but we are mature ladies, see it as the same as going to dinner with the office people and not liking them.

SavvyKim's picture

I have told my partner that I am no longer putting up with playing 2nd fiddle to his kids and if things carry on the way they were, I was leaving, the wedding was a month ago, brat daughter and her new husband had been on holiday for 2 weeks and said they would come round to see us when they got back from holiday, but has made no attempt. I think by inviting us out to dinner, she is trying to smooth everything out and by doing it in public, she thinks she will have me over a barrel. No way am I going for dinner, she clearly did not want me sat with my partner on her table at the wedding, she can go to hell!

Yes, you ladies are right about my partner, he thinks his little bitch of a daughter can do no wrong, and yes, she will turn me refusing to go out to dinner as a 'see, I told you so - I tried to make it up to her but she is an evil SM' scenario, but you know what, I am past caring Wink

I have had a long discussion with my partner and pointed out how he enables his kids to disrespect me, after all, they were only following him as he has disrespected me on so many occasions in front of them and also used me as his punchbag when any of his kids have done something wrong.

Well, there will be no more parties (which I do all the cooking, entertaining and tidying up for). They will never go on holiday with us again and I will not be attending any family gathering where his kids will be present - I am totally now disengaged Blum 3

SavvyKim's picture

Echo, so what you are saying is that my relationship of over 11 years with my partner means nothing then! Not sure how I feel about that, I think you need to look up wedding etiquette for extended families! I am good enough to cook and clean and look after them on holidays, but somehow do not exist at the wedding hmmmm, let me think - really! All of my friends were totally disgusted with the way I was treated, do not tell me she was right when I have treated her as a daughter!

WalkOnBy's picture

Having had my daughter's wedding almost three years ago with NO relationship between Asshat (her father) and me for many, many years, let me tell you how it's done.

At the church, bridal party sat in the first row of pews. I, with my husband and family, sat in the second row. Asshat, my XH and father of the bride, sat with his wife, Money-Ka and their three small children in a different section of the church to the right of the pews where the rest of us sat. This was mostly because the three small kids are very badly behaved and Asshat and Money-Ka - and my daughter - knew that these three would be somewhat disruptive (they did not disappoint - lol) and my daughter didn't want the hassle Smile No one's feelings were hurt and everything went off without a hitch.

At the reception, the head table was for the bridal party only, as it should be, IMHO. Asshat and I barely crossed paths, he sat at one table with his family, while I sat at another table with my family. No big deal.

And, no, Echo was not saying that your "relationship of over 11 years" with your partner means nothing. Drama much? Maybe THAT was the reason you were excluded?

SavvyKim's picture

Well WalkOnBy, how dare you suggest that I cause any drama! I was hurt and treated badly. I may as well delete this thread and leave this group seeing as most of you have turned this into a witch hunt, this will be the last time I turn to anyone for support on this group, I will leave this up long enough for you to read it, then it will be deleted and I will leave this shitty group!

Disneyfan's picture

So because people are not tripping over each other to agree with you, you declare this a shitty group????

secret's picture

lol, what she's saying is that the bride actually did follow proper etiquette.... and you're butt hurt over it. You're being defensive with your How Dare you!'s etc... she's just saying that if that's how you act with your SD... perhaps it's understandable your SD didn't want you front and centre with her dad...

Understandably so... because who likes to be sat away from their partner? But... in the end... brides get to do what they want. She's realized she's hurt you, she wants to make amends.

Remember that just because you're hurt, doesn't mean SD did anything wrong.

SavvyKim's picture

So Secret, you lot are just assuming I have a bad relationship with her - you are all totally wrong!I have been totally involved with his kids and went out of my way for them all of the time, a little respect would have been appreciated I think after 11 years!

secret's picture

I'm not assuming anything.

I said "IF" that's how you behave with her, maybe there is a bad relationship. Just going on your defensive response to the poster before - if you get defensive like that with your SD as well, the relationship might not be as good as you think it is. Who knows. Not making assumptions, just giving you an extra thought to think about.

I get it - you feel like she should appreciate what you've done for her, and you feel like she disrespected by not seating you with her dad.

I'm not saying you're wrong for feeling the way you do - but you're hurt by your own expectations not having been met - because in the end, she followed proper etiquette. Of course you should have sat with dad....it's the nice, considerate, respectful thing to do, etiquette be damned...... but, even if she seated him - HE should have been the one to insist to sit with his wife. She told him you two were sitting apart, and he let it happen. She's not the one you should be pissed at, he is. He went along with it.

You're getting defensive with this group because we're not validating your feelings. We're not agreeing with you, and you feel doubly hurt. Right?

There's another post on these boards recently of the same situation you're gong through.... if I'm not mistaken there was over 100 responses... it could give you some better insight, without feeling like you're getting bashed.

WalkOnBy's picture

LOLOLOL!!! You are caught up in the drama, as evidenced by your attitude displayed all throughout this post.

We have suggested that the problem might be with your husband, and it absolutely is. Asshat would never have allowed his wife to be excluded, nor would I. Granted, my kids have a great relationship with her and were raised to respect adults, but that doesn't seem to be the issue with your skids.

I would never attend a family event where my husband was excluded. My husband would never attend a family event where I was excluded.

Your husband paid for an affair that allowed you to feel minimized and excluded. THAT is the problem.

Grow up, dear. Life is hard, step life is even harder. Maybe you need to wear a helmet.

SavvyKim's picture

Acratopotes, I was not expecting to be treated like the brides mother, I simply was disgusted that I was purposely kept away from my partner of 11 years during the wedding. I thought I had a great relationship with his kids, but his bitch of a daughter wanted me pushed in the background and for my partner and his ex to play happy families URGH :sick:

CompletelyPuzzled's picture

And that is the problem. He is a grown a@@ man. He could have refused. He didn't. You're feelings are hurt over that and rightfully so. But take it out on the right person.

hereiam's picture

My DH does not take orders from his daughter.

Why did your SO's daughter think it was okay to not sit the two of you together? Because he let her think it WAS okay. And, he still thinks it was okay.

Stepped in what momma's picture

All of you ladies have nailed it, this chic needs to be mad at her partner that she has had 11 long lovely years, he is the one that should have stood up for himself and her if she was so important and has done so much for his kids. I know that my SO wouldn't be told that we will be separated at his kids wedding even if he didn't pay a dime for it. This is why I don't invest myself in skids, if I do nice things for them the only person I expect to be grateful is my SO bc we all know skids are usually never grateful.

Acratopotes's picture

Savvy - my wonderful SD is only 17 now..... and you might have read how wonderful she is..

I know for a fact she will not even invite me to her wedding and SO will tell her then he's not coming either.

If I'm invited I know she will put me in the darkest corner and SO at the top table, SO will simply ignore it and simply join me at the dark table and he will ignore the front row in church and find me after walking her down the isle.

I know when photo time comes, SO will refuse to be on any photos with her and BM together, SO will only take photo's with her and the groom.... he will not even do family photo's if BM is in any of them...

Thus your anger should be at your DH... he left you... he could've said NO to all her demands and he could've said, I will sit with my wife...

SavvyKim's picture

BrightFuture99, Thank goodness you have a man that supports you, I just wish I had not been invited or that i had been sick just to avoid all of this x

SavvyKim's picture

Just let me explain, my partner had no idea regarding the wedding plans and where everyone would be seated, he just footed the bill for the whole wedding!

Acratopotes's picture

More reason to be angry at him... seeing he footed the whole bill he could've made it clear, he sits with you

WalkOnBy's picture

then that is his fault....Asshat footed the bill for our daughter's wedding and he was very involved...

disrestep's picture

I simply would block and un-follow anyone who treats me like this. Also, would not give them the time if day and not waste money on presents for their spawn, nor would I go out to dinner with the daughter. I would have a chat with my DH and set down ground rules on how I expect to be treated, at least as a person, and ask for his support on this. How would he like it if the same thing happened to him, right?

If my DH allowed me to sit at a different table, and sit in the back at the ceremony, I would of said something to him right then and there, and trust me I've had to. After 11 years your partner should of made some kind of effort to include you in a photo too. No man should sit back and allow his longtime partner to sit at a different table at a wedding.

Can tell you very similar things happened to me at skid weddings: from sitting in the back at the ceremony while my DH was made to sit with a photo of late ex-wife and stuffed doll made from late ex-wife's clothes - seriously, to not being invited, to being completely ignored and not allowed in pictures or rehearsals, and given an ice cold meal 1/2 hour after everyone else finished eating.

I think many of us and our DH's go to these skid events not expecting this treatment, and bingo the disrespect begins. After rounds and rounds of this bs, a lightbulb went on and I just don't go to these skid events anymore. DH can go, but not me. Even after DH lectured all skids that he would not allow the disrespect to continue, it doesn't stick. The skids are still as nasty as ever and I don't care, nor does DH. DH doesn't deal with skids anymore unless he absolutely has to. The skids are adults. They know exactly what they are doing. I don't have to sit back and put myself in a position where I am treated like dirt, and the man I am married to better have enough kahunas to not just sit back and allow his spouse to be treated like a leper.

SavvyKim's picture

Disrestep, Thank you for your support, at least you seem to understand what I went through, some others on here though think that his little princess is right and I am totally wrong xxxx

wicked_by_proxy's picture

Well, I made it this far through the comments....had to stop, laugh my ass off and catch my breath before moving on.....oh, and my eye started twitching about 2 excuses ago....

SavvyKim's picture

Disrestep, Thank you for your support, at least you seem to understand what I went through, some others on here though think that his little princess is right and I am totally wrong xxxx

Disneyfan's picture

What's wrong with you???

They are not saying your feelings are wrong. What they are saying is that your anger is being directed at the wrong person. Even if you SO didn't know the seating arrangements in advance, he could have spoken up when he found out. He made the CHOICE to do/say nothing.

SavvyKim's picture

Disneyfan, he did not see there was anything wrong at the wedding, so blinded that his precious daughter can do no wrong, his words to me when I spoke to him about it at the wedding was 'why does it matter where you sit'. He now realises why, but the damage is already done.

I think it hit home when I gave him a scenario on how his daughter would feel if her partner's daughter (from a previous relationship) did the same to his daughter at her wedding - that soon made him think as he did not like the thought of his daughter being hurt! Says it all really :O

hereiam's picture

I understand why you are upset BUT are you just as upset with your SO? Because he allowed all of this.

My SD26 is not the brightest nor the most mature, and I'm probably not her favorite person, but she damn sure knows better than to pull crap like this. My husband would never allow it and she knows it.

Your step daughter knew she could get away with such rudeness...and that is on your SO.

You have been with him for 11 years and said you have had a decent relationship with her, why do you think you were seated in the back and treated like you didn't exist?

Why do you think your SO didn't care where you were sitting?

SavvyKim's picture

hereiam, I have no idea why he did not think it was wrong, when I arrived where the ceremony took place, my partner's mother was seated on the front row, she spoke to me so I sat down to talk to her, I was immediately removed by his eldest son (this was 30 minutes before the ceremony was due to begin). Maybe I should have just got up, kept walking, gone back to the hotel room, got changed and left, I think that would have been a better option.

My partner and I had huge rows after the wedding and I told him that he enabled her to treat me like this, in fact, we very nearly split up. He now knows I will no longer stand being bullied by him and I will no longer be wanting to do anything that involves his kids.

hereiam's picture

Well, then don't go to dinner with them, that would just tell him that you don't mean what you say.

twoviewpoints's picture

Idvilen will be showing up for this one as soon as she has a chance...she'll explain to you exactly how and where your husband failed you and what he should have done differently.

What happened to you at your SD's wedding also similarly happened to her. She has zero tolerance for this.

SacrificialLamb's picture

I get it that you are hurt; you would expect that after 11 years of partnership that sitting next to your SO and having some inclusion would have been appropriate. Especially because you feel you have not been reciprocated for efforts you have made towards them in the past.

You need to decide where you want this relationship with your partner to go in the future. If he has remorse for this situation, then I would recommend trying to patch things up with his DD. Even if you feel it is not sincere, you show good faith to your partner and then you can scale back your unreciprocated efforts in the future.

But if you are going to have trouble moving past the anger (this is not a criticism - many of us are in that spot) or if your partner is not understanding of your feelings, you probably need to rethink this relationship.

I will say that if you sit down with his DD and list the things individually you feel snubbed for, it is not going to be well received (as evidenced by the explosion of posts that popped up here in a hour). But if you say you weren't aware of details of the wedding plans, and that you were hurt and surprised there wasn't a small amount of inclusion - at least being able to sit by your partner - you might get more understanding.

Willow2010's picture

Maybe I should have just got up, kept walking, gone back to the hotel room, got changed and left, I think that would have been a better option
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Oh I so wished you would have done this. There is no doubt that you were blatantly pushed aside at the wedding. And I would be extremely angry also. I see now that DH sees his part in this mess. I think I would just tell him that you don’t want to deal with people who think so little of you.

And again… make sure that none of YOUR money goes to any of those little turds.

SavvyKim's picture

Willow2010, you can rest assured I want nothing more to do with any of them and you can be sure my birthday and Christmas list is now really short lol xxx

CANYOUHELP's picture

You have the same kind of wimp husband that I have, unfortunately. I got some great advise here on ST when I first signed in, "You have to protect yourself." Nobody will do it for you and that includes your doormat DH, and you have to accept reality, you are odd man out--most of the time these men do not change so.... move on, block all, accept he is who he is and will never change and create your own happiness without people in your life who do not like you; you can do better with your time and emotion.

But, remove yourself from every single thing regarding them...they no longer exist in YOUR life....you get it, and thank them for being clear to you about it. No more time, money and resources wasted. The sooner they let you know this, the better...:-).

It is not a perfect solution, but the best one for women who live with perfectly sculptured doormat daddeeees.

Stay on ST, and keep reading....we are far from alone....

CANYOUHELP's picture

You have to accept it is all his fault, and he will never admit it to you...most likely, he will blame everybody BUT himself. But, you cannot be the blame, if you are not part of the equation, can you? And, if you EVER try again-- in any way, period--THEY will find some fault with you, just to keep the nastiness going. Sadly, it never changes, your DH has given them the power to be dysfunctional and selfish; be a bigger person and cut it all off.....It is my understanding, if they cannot get to you, they turn on dear ol dadddeeeee....time will tell, huh? He never will tell you though...LOL.

A lot of us have felt this way. We also want someone to validate that SD is a mega c#nt. But even if she is, your partner is not going to agree with you. My DH will say that his DD does some crap, he now addresses it better than he used to, but it's his DD. He loves her, as I love my children. You have to find a way to make the situation livable or the relationship will not survive. For me, the best way is to let him have his relationship with his DD on his own.

Dup

notasm3's picture

Forget about the f***ing wedding. No use in arguing (especially with total strangers here) about what should have been done.

Net result - you do not want these people in your life. So just put them all on ignore and block them every way you can. And then go live your life without their intrusions. You are an adult - you get to choose who you associate with or not.

I have totally erased my ss32, his GF, and their child from my life. DH is free to see them, but just not with me. I do not badmouth them to DH nor do I spend time justifying my actions. It is just a fact that I live my life without them. It's great!

Pay absolutely no attention to what these people that you are going to have absolutely nothing to do with say or think about you. It doesn't matter. My SS and the babymama think I am a horrible and selfish bitch. Yawn. It so does not affect me one bit.

A polite "no thank you" to the dinner invitation is all that is needed.

Ignore the whore - SM mantra.

ETexasMom's picture

Pretty much exact same way MSD treated me at her wedding. But here's the difference.

I knew I wouldn't sit on the first few rows so I brought my daughter with me to the wedding as my +1 since DH was in the bridal party walking her down the aisle. This helped me avoid sitting alone instead I was a regular guest.

DH was included in bridal pictures I was not. Dh wanted pictures with me so he grabbed the photographer and had her take pictures of just me and him. It was a nice gesture and of course MSD never gave us a copy of the picture.

During reception DH made the choice not to sit with the wedding party. When the bridal party came in after pictures he went directly to me and sat with me. No alcohol was allowed at the reception except a bottle of champagne for the bridal party to toast with. DH wasn't with the bridal party but MSD brought it to him. He prompted handed it to me. He hates champagne.

While SD was wrong for the way she treated you your DH is also to blame too. He made the choice how to respond to her behavior. After my SD's wedding she ramped up her behavior and even uninvited me to their Christmas get together. DH's response was not to go. After him refusing to go to enough stuff she has started to calm down and pretend to be friends now. I am not openingly hostile but I am also not overly friend. I treat her just like I would any friend of DH's I'm not crazy to visit. I go to dinner when invited and I will even go to her baby shower but I am not tripping over myself trying to make her happy and win her approval. My focus is on DH and being a partner to him.

sandye21's picture

Odd that your story is unbelievably close to soccermom. Almost exact except you have been with your SO for 11 years rather than 3 months. So I repeat: It is your SO, not the SD that you have issues with. If he has apologized to you for his tacky and disrespectful behavior to you at the wedding then let it go. If you can not get beyond the hurt his actions, or lack of, caused maybe you should rethink this relationship. If you do not like SD, don't go out to dinner with her.

I also would suggest you go for counseling because you don't seem to be getting it that it was your DH rather than your SD. I will also repeat: If my DH did not come to sit with me after he gave the bride away and at the reception I would quietly walk out of the wedding and leave him a note of where I was if he wanted to apologize and go home.

NobodyMom's picture

I am sorry you were treated this way. I personally feel if adhering strictly to proper etiquette will be disrespectful or unkind to someone (lots of etiquette was established before step families became more common), then then it's not such proper etiquette after all. It was rude and disrespectful of your SD to expect you and your partner to NOT sit together. It was even more rude and disrespectful of your SO to not have explained that to his daughter and that he will sit with you, his partner. Of course his explanation to her should probably wait until after the wedding is over unless his daughter were to raise a stink about a grown man sitting together with his partner.

ldvilen's picture

General William Tecumseh Sherman, coined the phrase "War is hell," Sherman was renowned as a fierce-some would say tyrannical-military leader, and in September 1864 he gave orders for the city of Atlanta to be evacuated and burned.

Being a SM is hell too. I think we all could learn something from General Sherman. Etiquette and Wedding don't belong in the same sentence for SMs any more than Etiquette and War do. There is no such thing, so, please, don't even try to act like there is any kind of etiquette re: treating SM like a non-existent being at weddings. Usually, neither DH nor SM has any clue what is coming their way. They are just both going to the wedding expecting to be treated like a married couple because they are a married couple (or long-term SOs). There is no brochure out there for neglected dads or SMs entitled, "You Will Get Screwed at Weddings and Other Family Events." Maybe there should be? I agree, it cannot be helped if adult SKs accidentally on purpose forget that SM exists. Is DH supposed to just get up and move at the beginning of the ceremony and/or reception, maybe even doing a soft-shoe dance on his way to the back of the church to sit with his wife or SO of 10+ years? Perhaps? Some seem to imply this should have been done.

What SM can do, however, is control her own and future actions. If adult SKs can accidentally on purpose forget you exist, then you can do the same. DH may have an obligation, but you do not. I told my DH there was no way in hell I was going to go to SS's wedding after what went down at SD's wedding, and it was entirely my right to do so. DH chose not to go to his SS's wedding, mainly because he didn't want to fly to a Caribbean country on his own (it was a destination wedding), and he didn't want to have to contend with being his ex's or kids sole lackey either.

Borrow a few pages from General Sherman's playbook, not to be mean or out for revenge, but because being a SM is hell, and you are sick and tired of playing nicey-nicey games with adult SKs. You thought they accepted you and everything was fine. Now you know otherwise.

WalkOnBy's picture

"Etiquette and Wedding don't belong in the same sentence for SMs"

I disagree - Money-Ka was included and honored at the wedding just like Asshat, me and DH were.

Oh, wait, we are all grownups Smile

but, seriously, I don't agree with your premise. If folks are properly raised, these things tend to not happen. If husbands/wives have the requisite spines, these things tend not to happen.

ldvilen's picture

I agree with you completely on this. "If folks are properly raised, these things tend to not happen. If husbands/wives have the requisite spines, these things tend not to happen."

But, some try to use the term etiquette to justify their improper behavior. That's the problem.

WalkOnBy's picture

"But, some try to use the term etiquette to justify their improper behavior. That's the problem."

I completely agree with you. I call those people "assholes."

WalkOnBy's picture

My daughter has photos with me and DH, with Asshat and Money-Ka and with the groom's parents.

she didn't have the "I need a picture of my parents at my wedding" obsession some of these twits seem to have.

ldvilen's picture

And, if they want to act like assholes, so be it. They are adults. If the bride and groom want to whip out a BB gun and starting shooting at the guests during the ceremony, so be it. If bride and groom want to strip just at the start of the ceremony and demand other guests do so as well as they have decided to have a nudist wedding, at the last minute, so be it. As a guest, if you don't like it, you can just leave and avoid them for the rest of your dang life. Go for it.

WalkOnBy's picture

she sure was and she also knew that her dad and mom would beat her ASS if she dared to disrespect an adult, let alone the adults her parents were married to.

SavvyKim's picture

Exactly, I thought I had a really good relationship with the little witch, her true colours soon came out at the wedding Sad

SavvyKim's picture

Renewal 11-11, you are so on the money! She plays her dad like a good one! She has him running around after her, baby sitting, doing jobs around the home for her etc, I agree, he is to blame and when we had a long talk after I had calmed down, I told him he has enabled his kids to act the way they do, and to be fair, I feel sorry for his sons, they are not treated like his daughter, she is constantly the center of attention, spoilt rotten and is given everything she wants when she stamps her little feet, she has even trained her brothers to bow down to her.

This type of SD, and the father who bows to her, is very common in step life. It could be a sub-topic of the adult forum. SD does not want to share the limelight with her own siblings (my OSD does not either) so she certainly does not want to share attention with a woman from outside the family.

This SD knows that her father is wrapped around her finger and won't hesitate to use the sgkids as bait to get what she wants.

I don't know how your partner responded when you discussed this. It took mine some time for my DH to realize that he, through his parenting style, encouraged his DD's behavior......... trying to make up for BM's craziness by soothing things over, enabling OSD financially when she continually overdrew her credit cards, thinking he was a "nice guy" to have no boundaries and let others trample on him. He gets it now, but with his DD now being in her 40's, daddy putting boundaries around himself and his marriage is a punishable offense.....and she definitely has been punishing him.

ldvilen's picture

See. . . . Being a SM is hell. And, we are all married to spineless partners. DH is a douche-bag and SM is douche-bag's ho. Adult SKs and BM can do whatever they want and it is all DH's doing, even if DH had absolutely no clue what was coming. I'll write that on a post-it note and stick it on the bathroom mirror. It may make me feel empowered.

Screw everyone and do what works for you, because no matter what you do, I guarantee you every time there will be someone--a counselor, friend, co-worker, a minister, another SM even--telling you it is wrong. Sayonara.

thinkthrice's picture

Here's how it works with genders REVERSED:

At my bio son's wedding (Chef and I have been together at the time almost 12 yrs--not married)

1: Not given corsage (Chef got a boutonniere)
2: Sat at the back in the ceremony (Chef was in the ceremony--walked me down aisle)
3: Alienated by her and partner's boys (nope--Chef included in all ceremonies/festivities)
4: Not called down for photos (Chef in all applicable photos)
5: Sat on a different table (not on the top table with my partner) with my back towards the top table (nope--Chef sat with me near the bridal party's table)
6: Treated like I did not exist (Chef included in everything)

It's good to be a stepDAD and not a stepMOM

I love this "well you're not married blah blah blah"
I beg to differ.

Would one say the same if this was BEFORE gay marriage was officially sanctioned and a gay couple, as a domestic partnership of 11 years, was a relation in the pending marriage? I think not. JMO.

ldvilen's picture

Thank you, and this proves the point I've been trying to make for the past three years since realizing that it was not all that uncommon for SMs to be treated like indentured servants and finding this site. Stepmothers are and can be discriminated against just for being SMs, in the same manner that Muslims can be discriminated against just for being Muslim and gays can be discriminated against just for being gay, and so on. BUT, with SMs everyone always goes around trying to blame SM herself in some manner, shape or form. Such as, it is SM's fault for not checking with her DH first.

NO! It is society fault for promoting the idea that is okay to treat SM like a second class citizen, meaning she can't even presume to sit with her husband of many years, just because she is a SM. SHAME ON EVERYONE!

Disneyfan's picture

WOW

I'm surprised your son hasn't kicked Chef's ass for the way he abused you over the years.

A SM who has been great to her husband and his children gets shafted.

A SD who has been a Shepard for the devil gets the royal treatment. How crazy is that???

ItsGrowingOld's picture

This is what I would have done after noticing the first slight at the wedding -- being intentionally(?) seated in the back. I would have gracefully left the wedding and taken a cab. When your SO noticed you were not seated with him, and then did nothing (I'm assuming he didn't ask you to sit by him).... its seems to me you have a SO problem and not a SD problem.

And please, lose the exclamation points and the xxx's. Overuse of them leads me to believe you are somewhat dramatic.

Welcome to Stepptalk!

notarelative's picture

Wedding is over. They (SD and SS who moved you)showed you that you don't have the relationship you thought you did.

You now have to understand that what you do next sets the status of the rest of the relationship with your partner. If you cut all contact, will your partnership survive? If they invite you and you don't go, will he see you as the unreasonable one? After all, he'll say they are trying.

In my case, after almost 20 years, they still don't consider me a relative. My thing is that if invited I go with DH. They do invite both of us as DH won't go without me. I don't buy gifts. Gifts are only from DH. I don't have to worry about holidays and vacations. They have told us they only do holidays with relatives (father's don't count apparently). No vacations as DH can't afford to treat.
Once or twice a year they will show up on a weekend afternoon. If they are here around mealtime DH goes for take out. I don't cook for them anymore.

It took DH a few years to see what they do. He's the parent, the dad. Parents try hard, very hard, not to see their child's flaws and tend to let things slide until they can't. But, once he caught on, he never put his blinders on again. And at his worst, he would never have sat separately from me at the wedding.

As to the timing of the dinner. If it's only been a month since the wedding it's not a long time. Wedding, two week honeymoon, back to work, writing thank yous, etc. Not a long time by my thought. Not a long time to see all parents. Although your partner is probably last on the list, someone has to be so it's not worth getting upset about.

I'd go to the dinner, smile, and not say much. I'd be polite and no more. I'd go because my DH would want me with him and won't go without me.

Wild Rose's picture

I did my time with crap-acting SDs, and my DH would try to placate everyone. It doesn't work that way. I disengaged completely when YSD was 16 and DH just about had a heart attack being upset. But he also knew how much I did for his kids and saw how they treated me and he didn't blame me.

I wasn't mean or dramatic- just told him I wasn't going to be put in situations where I'm disrespected anymore. I told him that I know he can't control how his near-adult kids act, but he sure as hell CAN control the level of support he gives me. If he wanted me to be part of the action, he needed to be by my side, period. Otherwise, he visited alone because there were 100 things I could've been doing that were more enjoyable.

I can't picture myself in that wedding scenario you described because I would have told DH we sit together if he didn't make the move himself. If my DH hemmed and hawed, I'd walk out. I'd go get a drink, a massage, and either renew my disengagement- or contemplate divorcing a guy who doesn't see respecting his wife a priority.

'Etiquette' is simply graciously doing what it takes to make people feel included- NOT a weapon or an excuse to be shitty to others. The concept is as fluid as it needs to be. I would only go to this dinner if DH understands what he did wrong at the wedding and promises to have your back. Otherwise, why bother?

ldvilen's picture

This is it in a nutshell for SMs everywhere ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓

ldvilen's picture

Is mom's daughter an adult or not? All I know is at age 18, I wouldn't have done anything just because my mommy wanted me to do it, especially if it was something I disagreed with. But, I also know there is the term adultolescent now, meaning that even people close to age 30 may still be inclined to be sucking on the mommy bottle. So, nowadays, who knows? Regarding dad, even tho. he may be forking over all the money, he may not be consulted on anything, and not even at the rehearsal dinner. Dad is usually thought of as just a go-along dufus at weddings.

notasm3's picture

"You now have to understand that what you do next sets the status of the rest of the relationship with your partner. If you cut all contact, will your partnership survive? If they invite you and you don't go, will he see you as the unreasonable one? After all, he'll say they are trying."

That is utter bullsh*t. If the survival of my partnership/marriage is dependent on my accepting adults in my life that make my life hell - then I have the wrong partner.

I do have a spine. If my DH thinks I am being unreasonable, and that they are trying - well he's welcome to that opinion. Does not change my actions one bit. He can just live with that - or not. I refuse to bow to aholes.

So does my DH - enough that he ignores skid attempts to berate me into "behaving" - i.e. giving them access to my assets.

SugarSpice's picture

i also agree with this. accepting the skids does not make or break a relationship.

SugarSpice's picture

savvy, i feel very sorry for you. step mothers get every thing as an after thought. you will feel much better when you disengage fully.

i agree that as the partner of one of the wedding party you should have been given a corsage and a place of honor and not treated like an unwelcome guest espcailly after 11 years..

in my skids wedding all the main guests were given colorful gift bags with stenciled names on them. my bag simply had a smile face. and no i dont have a wierd name or too long or one that is hard to spell. the bride and groom did not take the time to even stencil my name on.

i agree that your dh was part of the problem. when he saw the low status you got he should immediately have said and done something to correct it.

my dh might be a spine less wimp in many ways but at least he insisted i be given a place of honor at the marriage of one of his children.

ldvilen's picture

It doesn't matter. I've seen SMs married to their DH for 20+ years treated no better than a ho some pimp dropped off on his way to the bar at SK events. No ring = no respect after 11 years. Doubt this would hold water in any other situation.

thinkthrice's picture

Garbage. But you wouldn't understand as the RECIPIENT of large cash rewards simply for breeding, errr I mean CS. No way I'd get married so that my income will show up on wildly contrieved calculations for the financial gain of the Girhippo--she being the payEE, they wouldn't count StepDaddyBigBuck's massive income--no risk to them for nuptualization.

Acratopotes's picture

:jawdrop: thus not being married to SO means I'm not committed to him, we've not gone through fun times and worse times of our lives together,

The fact that we've been together more years then average marriages last does not mean anything?

Since when did a ring change all of this, or a certificate signed by a judge, who's probably on his second wife already ?

Agreed, there are many long term couples out there who have more successful partnerships than many marriages.

Speaking of judges, when my cousin's now DH was getting divorced from his first wife, the judge handling the case ended up getting the ex-wife pregnant. I think he was married too. Scary!

still learning's picture

What a soap opera! I have a friend who got his lawyer pregnant when he divorced his first wife. My friend bemoans the fact that he only saw his daughter from that union a handful of times. Their current relationship consists of her posting photos on Facebook and him liking them. Dumb man thinking with the wrong head }:)

secret's picture

If common law marriage wasn't on the same level as marriage when it comes to the role one partner plays to the other, why does the government consider common law marriage just as legally binding as marriage?

Acratopotes's picture

"Marriage says "I chose this person for my family, forever." Exclusive ling term dating says "I'm not sure this person is my family or how long it might last.""

bullshit HL and you know it.

regardless if you are married legally or not, either you choose a person forever... or you don't.

who first decided marriage can only be legal when you have a certificate to proof it and or a ring?
It still does not show commitment....

still learning's picture

Oh dear sweet divorcee Ms. HL, you know just like the rest of us that marriage does not mean "family forever." Usually it means we'll stick it out until the kids are grown, until something young and hotter comes along, or until we're on the verge of murdering each other. It can mean that I'll make your life a living hell and have my hand in your wallet forever; but family, undying love...not so much.

Most marriages that did last from our great/grandparents generation usually had lots of affairs and drama tied in. Secret children, families in other states, mistresses, call girls, etc.. Previous generations were much more tolerant of these dynamics that we are today and divorce was frowned up. My stepfather was the child of a rich man who his mother worked for. It was kept a secret even after my SF passed. I was contacted by one of his half sisters after his death. The rich dude stayed married, kept his mistress, secret child and 2 lives separate.

Being a committed couple for 11 years is pretty impressive!

still learning's picture

Let them spend money on you! Order a large steak and a few glasses of wine. You deserve it.

ldvilen's picture

Like that one!! Borrowing from Sherman's playbook, or do what my SD's boyfriend did (now husband) when DH and I took them out to eat one time. Order the most expensive thing on the menu and not even blink. Hmm, thinking maybe SD and her husband are going to have a chat with you and DH about their big day!? I think you should go just to see what goes down and report back to us! I'm always up for bemusing.

thinkthrice's picture

A while back a SM posted that her SD deliberately faked out SM by saying the bridal party colour scheme was red (including mother of the groom, etc). Well this was a trick so that SM would be the only one showing up in red ala Scarlett O'Hara.

My OSD actually tried to get me to wear white, to blend in the bridesmaid dresses! And both she and her mother tried to get me to sit in the seat next to the aisle in the front row. BM would actually give up her seat at her DDs wedding to have the SM stick out like a sore thumb, a much taller SM who would block her view. This was soon after I was married, and I was perplexed what was happening. Does not shock me at all given how tasteless and crass I have seen these two behave since then.

still learning's picture

@idvilen,

maybe sd and hubby are going to take them out to dinner then make DH pay! THis happens every single time ss32 takes DH out for fathers day or his birthday. DH has to whip out his wallet and pay. Sigh...it's the thought that counts right?

ldvilen's picture

I don't think you're in the minority at all here. I just think a few posters at the beginning got in their licks before us tenured SMs could chime in. Also, if you read between the lines a bit, even those few posters at the beginning agree that OP had a right to be upset, but implied it was more-so her DH's fault. In some ways, I'm glad to see people recommend that if DH (and SM) are left out of the plans, then DH should take action at the actual ceremony or reception by moving to sit.

Case in point, at my SD's wedding, unbeknownst to either DH (or I), the minister came up to DH at the last second, just as he finished handing out wedding programs, and told DH to walk his ex- down the aisle. DH was in total shock, and didn't have time to even think about it and did so. DH then came back and walked his daughter down the aisle and sat next to his ex-. At the time, DH and I had been married 14 years and longer than he and his ex-. Of course we both expected he'd walk his daughter down the aisle. Neither one of us saw the ex- talons coming out as long and strong as they did, however, nor were wer given a heads-up on it by anyone, even the minister, despite sitting next to him at the rehearsal dinner the night before. There's more that went on that day, but leaving it for now.

I often wondered what could my DH have done? Yeah, he could have told the minister to flake-off, even tho. the wedding prologue was starting to play. DH loves me dearly, as his wife, but of course he also loves his daughter dearly. To this day, even tho. we have our suspicions, neither one of us knows where walking his ex- down the aisle truly came from. I mean, this is something that usually doesn't even occur in "intact" Christian marriages! Usually a son (and her and DH's son was there) or some other male relative walks the mom down the aisle.

ANYWAY, maybe this would be an interesting one for a topic--what should be done in these types of flagrant stick-it-to DH or SM moments that occur during the actual ceremony or reception, without a heads-up to dad, much less SM. These types of actions are really more disconcerting than I think anyone could ever realize. In hindsight, maybe my DH should have told the minister "No," or walked his ex- down the aisle, then his daughter, and then came and sat by me (in the middle aisle somewhere, but I don't think he even knew where I was at!). But, then DH wouldn't have been next to his daughter for the wedding. Critical point.

In some ways, the cruelty is beyond belief. Putting a man on the spot during a heavily populated event and expecting him to instantly make a choice between his daughter or his wife. All this set up by someone--ex-, wedding planner, clergy, SK. I know my DH sure didn't want to be by his ex's side, especially since she brought her old flame (one she cheated on him with) to the wedding. I think it is troubling too, that some try to justify this by telling themselves bio-dad wouldn't have minded. What the H-!! If you never bothered to ask him or get his input, how do you know!?

All I can say is, whatever you decide to do, just remember cruel acts of exclusion at weddings tend to have long ranging consequences, whether they involve steps or not. Think things thru and remember dad. Don't just go with whatever some so-called wedding "expert" is telling you. I actually do think brides and grooms are told to just do whatever they want and everyone else will just have to get over it. No, sometimes they don't just get over it, and in many cases, no one could blame them.

SavvyKim's picture

Thank you all for your comments and support, a few people have questioned why we are not married, we both have been married before and ripped off by previous spouses. My partner gave his ex wife a £500,000 home which was fully paid for, he gave her £138,000 in cash, paid for his youngest son until he left college at £750 per month, kept her in employment in his Company, she still works there, now are you getting the picture why he does not want to marry?

He is planning to retire in October, I so hope he does as we have 2 villas in Florida and we are planning to spend 6 months a year out there (will love leaving the UK behind and his skids of course). We will then be setting up a business out there and plan to retire there, so hopefully, be totally away from the skids. If we were not planning this, I think I would have left him to play happy families with his kids. Now, I am totally disengaging from them, he is welcome to go and see them, but I will not be attending any event where they will be present. Yes I agree, with everyone, he is as much to blame as his daughter and he has enabled her behavior, he has been told that I will no longer put up with his bullying tactics and no means no.

As twoviewpoints noticed, yes I did vent on a previous thread, my partner has used me as a punch bag whenever his kids have done something wrong, one example, was when his son brought a fried of his on holiday with us, on the way back on the aircraft, my partner was asleep, we were in Premium Economy seats and all his kids were in the main part of the aircraft. A stewardess came along and said they were not happy with his middle son's behavior, he was causing havoc by stealing drinks from the hostess trolley, upsetting all the passengers and was very drunk, they were thinking of calling the police to meet them off the aircraft. Because I woke my partner up to tell him, he went totally off his rocker at me in front of the other passengers and was really mad the HE had to go and sort his son out. There are so many incidents in the past where he has disrespected me in front of the kids, so really, this is the other reason I have chosen to totally disengage, I am not allowing that treatment any more, he has also been told that.

With regards to the wedding plans, my partner left everything to his daughter, the only involvement he had, was in choosing the suits for the wedding party. Going further back, it did seem funny that her hen night was planned on the weekend my partner and I were flying to Florida, I was invited, however, when I said I could not make that date, no attempt was made to change the date, looking back, I should have taken that as the first sign. By the way, his daughter is 29 years old.

sandye21's picture

"--- he has been told that I will no longer put up with his bullying tactics and no means no." Good for you! And do not back down from your newly established boundaries. It took a while for my DH to understand if he did not choose to defend me he was to keep his mouth shut when I had to defend myself. Over the past 6 years of disengagement he has become much more supportive and respectful of me.

I do not agree that a marriage certificate makes a happy union of two people. It does not guarantee respect or cherishing by the partner. There are many reasons why people choose not to marry such as finances, past relationship issues, etc,. which are valid justifications. It doesn't matter if a woman and man have been together for 11 years or 3 months. If you are invited to a wedding as a guest of your partner he should be sitting with you at the wedding and at the reception. If your partner apologized for his lack of manners and respect for you, let it go, but let him know you will not allow that kind of behavior again. If you do not like SD don't go out to dinner with her. Period.

By the way, you STILL sound a lot like soccermom who also had two villas in Florida.

SavvyKim's picture

Hi sandye21, no - he did not apologize for his behavior, he thought his daughter was right! I was not her mother, I should not have sat at the top table and I have no right to say she was wrong, however - once I said about the scenario about his bitch of a daughter turning up at her husband's daughter's wedding and the same happening to her, he saw it in a different light. Thank you honey for your support xxxx

I had posted on her thread, so hopefully - that sorts that one out xxx

sandye21's picture

"I should not have sat at the top table and I have no right to say she was wrong" Savvy, you've got me wrong. I don't think you needed a corsage or to be in the first row of the church during the wedding or at the head table at the reception. As I have written, the person who was REALLY in the wrong was your DH who should have sat with you at the wedding after giving the bride away and at the reception wherever you were seated. Your DH should be apologizing to you, not SD. I have written this many times. It seems as if you take in what you want to 'hear', then discard the rest OR you are VERY good at 'gaslighting'.

MollyBrown's picture

It's a bit crazy to expect them to change the date of their hen (bachelorette) for you.

hereiam's picture

Yes, it was done on purpose, so of course she was not going to change the date. I would not have bothered going to the wedding.

MollyBrown's picture

So you think it's more likely they scheduled it to spite you versus when it was best for her friends and wedding attendents could attend? Does that really make sense to you?

MollyBrown's picture

i think many brides just want to hang out with their friends for their bachelorette party. Not all of course, but many.

SavvyKim's picture

MollyBrown, she had her mum, and all of the rest of the family and friends there! I just wish I could post photos to prove it, she even had her eldest brother's girlfriend there that she hates - what does that tell you!

MollyBrown's picture

That she had a good time. Perhaps that was the weekend that worked the best for everyone. It seems like you are pain shopping. I am sorry you got hurt, but now it seems like you are looking everywhere to find slights to fuel your anger. That's not healthy for your soul. I hope you can get some peace with disengaging.

Aniki-Moderator's picture

Molly, I agree with you. I'm wondering if that was the date which worked best for the MAJORITY. People don't generally change the date of a 'hen party' because one person cannot attend. :?

ldvilen's picture

Yep, that's the normal ranking of a SM, whether she's been married to her DH or a SO of her DH for 11+ years or not. . . SM is considered below the level of eldest brother's girlfriend of 3 months or so. And, if eldest brother sat in the front row at the wedding, his date, his girlfriend of 3 months or so would be right there with him, by his side, and no one would even question it or think to question it.

However, if SM has been married to her DH for 14 years, suddenly it is "controversial" to have husband and wife of 14 years, bio-dad and SM, sit together up front. Really!? Many in society hate SMs just because they are SMs and it shows. Call it being overly-sensitive, unconscious bias, giving in to momma, the Bible made me do it, or whatever you want. What I call it is prejudice.

SavvyKim's picture

Fairyo, I think I need it, please do sprinkle your fairy dust, yes I admit, I have been a total push over in the past, now toughening up and seeing the situation with open eyes.

fairyo's picture

Glad it helped- I was married to a basically decent man who would fly off into unpredictable rages for no reason. I stood it for a long time before I'd had enough. Now I'm with a man who is completely the opposite but can't stand up to his kids. You need to put yourself first and raise your self-esteem. It isn't all about the money either- it is never really about the money.

SavvyKim's picture

Fairyo, you are so right, only, if I had some money behind me, I would be off like a shot x

soccermom830's picture

i'll be honest I did not read all of the comments - but I will tell you that the same thing happened to me recently with my BF's daughter. we have only dated a little over a year though. doesn't matter though - it's an issue of respect, character and proper etiquette. you don't treat the father of the bride's date (be she a wife, long term gf, etc.) like a stranger. you treat her like a family member because she was invited and wanted there by the father. she is his date, and did not come by herself.

BUT, my bf did finally speak up for me to his daughter and "get it" a few weeks afterwards and now she is barely speaking to him. I thought they were again but we had a dinner for his dad (her gpa) and bf invited her. she never responded to him and showed up and didn't speak to him. I guess he didn't say anything either to her about her behavior. she is mad now because she said she heard from a few people there that we were in the bathroom together. oh no! the horror!!! haha I had been crying and he was in there with me while I was reapplying my makeup and I guess it was assumed we were having sex. you know cause that's what you do at your daughter's wedding. geeez! I'm offended she would even think that and so is her dad. she told him he was rude and disrespectful. turned the tables on him. what a little brat! needless to say, I did not go to the dinner - don't like to be around people that ignore me. my choice. she actually called her gpa during to see if her dad was there and came anyway. maybe since I wasn't there, it was ok. I don't know really.

AND what I was getting at was - there will never be an apology from her to either one of us I'm sure but he will forgive her and go on like nothing when she finally comes around and I will be expected to also I'm sure. sometimes you just have to let it go I guess. some people will just never grow up and are selfish nasty people. you have to be the bigger person or you can avoid her I guess. your choice. not letting it go though will only affect you, not her. maybe just give it some time. maybe she will see how rude she was. good luck. I know how you feel. believe me.

SavvyKim's picture

Thank you soccermom830, I am going round with my partner tonight so I can tell her exactly how she made me feel at the wedding, it has almost split me and my partner up and he is still siding with her saying she did nothing wrong, I will tell her how I feel, then let her know that because of her treatment towards me, I feel no longer welcome at any future family event and therefore will not be attending anything in the future, but I will do it politely without raising my voice or getting upset. I need to do this to get things off my chest and there will be questions asked, for example, why did she feel the need to separate my partner and I at her wedding? Anyway, I hope it will all go well, I simply don't want to waste my time with his kids that clearly have shown their true colours at the wedding.

fairyo's picture

This is odd- because Savvy posted about the meeting- saying it was basically a set up to get her to agree with SD and her friend having her holiday villa for a week. There were a lot of responses so I'm very puzzled why they have disappeared. Odd things happening on this site recently...!

ldvilen's picture

I think they are maybe having some interns (who have had SMs) handling this site. I'm getting really frustrated. I think it is time to move on. Plus, it is good to come here, vent and get advice, but once you know what you know, then it is time to move on rather than just rehash the same over and over. Hard to heal that way.

Here is the post you are referring to, by the way: https://www.steptalk.org/node/239928

fairyo's picture

I understand what you mean about 'moving on' however my situation is ongoing and long term, similar to many others. I feel I still need support whilst I have taken on board advice given, mainly regarding disengagement. I find it frustrating when people seeking advice don't seem to want to take it, but I know that is part of the process of self-realisation, it takes time.
When that trust is gone, though, it often doesn't come back.

SavvyKim's picture

Hi Guys, things have settled down now, I am concentrating on my horse and spending time with him. My partner has now booked two 6 week holidays for me and him 4th January to 19th February and 15th April to 25th May, so at least that will give me breathing space.

He has invited everyone round for a BBQ on Sunday, I will have to try to find an excuse not to be there, or at least for very little of it, I have searched high and low for a show to go to with my horse, but there is nothing on near me Sad , there is just a small local show, I might ask if they need a judge for the classes Blum 3

I will keep you guys informed how things progress x

SavvyKim's picture

So, my partner yesterday morning told me that his eldest son is having a birthday lunch today and I am not invited, this evening he has invited all his kids around again for a BBQ, so where does that leave me, simple, I am now going to have to stay away from my home until his son decides to leave this evening, which could be as late as 1am in the morning. I have told my partner that seeing as he does not want me at his birthday, I do not want him here tonight, but I know that will not happen so I have simply said to him I will park up in my car somewhere and for him to give me a call when his son leaves as I will not come home until he has gone.

Sick of this bloody situation and my partner refusing to stand up for me, he says I need to be the bigger person and talk to him - really - he lets his kids treat me like shit and get away with it all the time.

Two things. 1. No way would this cretin run me out of my home. I would there be in his face, making him uncomfortable so he did not want to come back. Making comments like "gosh, it's surprising you would want to come in my home since you didn't want me at your lunch." Why on earth are you making it easy? 2. Your SO is just a plain old loser. Why are you with this guy? He says you should be the bigger person and talk to his son because he is too lazy/doesn't care enough to do it himself. And your SO has no problem with you leaving and sitting in a car by yourself, because it is all about HIM and what he wants....and that is for him to have no inconveniences. You have to carry that burden all on your own without his support.

I know you have been with this guy a long time, but I would rather be alone. You have villas in Florida, they can be sold.

fairyo's picture

Savvy when will you really be done? A few weeks ago you were so desperate, ready to leave but having no where to go and almost suicidal. Now you just seem to be going round in the same old circle. Have you made any plans to sell the place in Florida? Have you contacted anyone in the UK to see what your options might be?
In someways I agree you need to be the bigger person and tell DH you really have done, with him- not his horrible kids!

sandye21's picture

^^^THIS!!!^^^ We have all given you our suggestions and you ARE going around in the same circle over and over again. Please see a counselor.

Wifeypoo's picture

Savvy I'm not caught up with the background of your situation, so I'm a little late here, but I can sense the utter desperation and torment in your posting today.

What are your thoughts on staying home tonight, and dealing face to face with SS, like Sacrificiallamb suggested. Is this a impossibility in your mind, like you would rather hit yourself in the head with a hammer? I already think I know the answer to that question though. Personally I would feel humiliated that I could be treated like this, especially at this stage of my life etc. It's disheartening to think about you having to slink away by yourself, while your DH entertains his family, on your territory, without a care in the world for your mental state of mind. I'm so sorry you are dealing with so much rejection.

I don't need to tell how horrible of a husband yours is being. I know you already know this. Like I said, I don't know what your part is in your situation, but nothing could warrant this kind of disregard from your DH. As imperfect as my relationship is my with DH, one thing that is mandatory for our marriage to exist is that we are each others soft place to fall in the world. That we strive to protect the feelings of each-other, as much as we would our own. In other-words we have eachothers back above all else. Neither one of us would even consider attending a social event where the other isn't welcome. We wouldn't be together if that was the case, our marriage wouldn't survive.

I wish you would stay home tonight and gain some of your power back, while you continue to work out your next move? Is there someone you can invite who can stick with you tonight and support you? If not you can imagine us here on Steptalk, rooting for you and wanting better for you.

SavvyKim's picture

Well, I sat in my car for 5 1/2 hours on Sunday evening, I went home after not hearing from him and went straight upstairs to bed without seeing any of his ba****d kids. My partner said he did not care as I had annoyed him. I had a huge row with him yesterday morning, not knowing his daughter and her kid had stayed the night, he told me to quieten down, I then raised my voice further to make sure she heard me, in fairness to her, she was the only one who bothered to text me as she was worried I was not home.

I told him that from now on, his son is not welcome in our home, if he allows him to come round, I will tear his head off in front of his father and anyone else who is there. I also told him going forward, I will not attend any family events where his ba****d son will be and if he keeps putting his kids in front of me I am leaving. I also told him that there will be no Boxing Day Party nor New Year's Eve Party at our home and I just want to spend New Year's Eve with him and we are not inviting anyone round, that if he goes against my wishes, I will just cause a big scene and make everyone leave - he has pushed me too far, I am now standing my ground. I have also said his kids are welcome to come and see him on Boxing Day, except his eldest son, I will not be catering for them and I will spend the day with my horse instead of wasting my time with the disrespectful ungrateful spoiled brats.

Hi daughter heard everything, I then went down and repeated everything to her, just to make sure she heard and said that from now on, they are no longer going to invite themselves on our holidays, if they want to go, they can go on their own, and I repeated that I want nothing more to do with her eldest brother, her dad had told them that I was at the stables, I let her know that her dad knew I was sat in my car somewhere because of her brother.

We usually all go to George's Fish Bar before we go on holiday - I have cancelled that and told them we are not doing that anymore - the tiger has woken up and where in the past I used to keep everything quite from his kids, they will now know I have done with their shit and I am not taking it anymore - enough is enough!

hereiam's picture

Good for you, I'm glad that you stood up for yourself.

However, this man who supposedly loves you, let you sit in a car for 5 1/2 hours because he let his son run you out of your own home. And you went along with it.

This is madness.

You sat in the car for over 5 hours? I am happy that the 5 hours had an effect on you - how ridiculous it was to not be in your own home.

Your SO has already shown that his adult children come first. I don't know how your conversation was left - did it jolt him awake that he should be afraid of losing you? Or is he so enmeshed with his kids that it doesn't matter? I guess time will prove that. I would have ditched the guy long ago.

disrestep's picture

It is a shame you have to go through all this. Good for you for standing your ground. I hope there are no repercussions from putting your foot down.

Your partner really should be backing you up on all this and not just sit there with his head in the sand and allow you to be excluded from family events and always putting his children's needs above yours. Exclusion is a game my adult skids play and my DH is sick of it and really has no relationship with them now because of that and their hatefulness and disrespect. If your partner cannot respect you enough to at least have your back and defend the person he loves, if it were me, I would think about leaving him and going on to enjoy the rest of my life with someone who appreciates me if we could not work it out.

Good luck

MollyBrown's picture

Your relationship is dying. You should end it and get some peace. Otherwise it's just going to be fighting and more fighting. You better start figuring out how your going to live on your own.

fairyo's picture

Five and a half hours is a long time to sit in a car- I would have driven somewhere nice, treated myself and probably not gone back...

SavvyKim's picture

So, my partner went down to London last night and called me saying he has had words with his son, and told me his son is prepared to talk to me - really? I told him to f**k off not interested, I am holding my ground on this one, if I back down here this situation will go on and on and let his kids think they can carry one being jerks and treating me like crap.

I am not interested in resolving this situation, I know why my partner wants it, he thinks by resolving the problem he can carry on with his parties, sod him, the partying days are over, his kids should of thought about that before acting like little shits!

hereiam's picture

Why do his kids think they can demand these meetings with you, on their terms? Ridiculous.

If ANY of these people, your partner included, had ANY respect for you (ever), it would not have come to this.

You have been with this guy for 11 years, you should not have to teach him how to treat you.

SavvyKim's picture

Thank you hereiam, I totally agree with you, he said it is not his problem, it is his son's and my problem that needs sorting - I am happy not to do this as his son is an ass***e and I am sick of my partner letting his kids disrespect me then expecting me to be fine with them - he can go swing x

And there is the reason why his kids act they way they do - nothing is his problem. Nothing has ever been his problem, including being a parent to his children rather than a buddy. He doesn't want any of the discomfort on him; he wants you to bear it all by yourself. What kind of supportive partner is that?

hereiam's picture

It absolutely IS his problem, as he is the one who allows his kids to treat you like crap. Which, frankly, is the same as him treating you like crap, himself.

If my SD26 wanted to have some bash in MY home but didn't want me there, DH would laugh in her face. But see, that would not even cross her mind in the first place. She would never, ever dream that that would be okay or that DH would allow it. She has always known what I mean to her dad and how much he loves me and respects me. She knows that she can never get away with disrespecting me, just like she can't get away with disrespecting him. If she disrespects me, it's the same as disrespecting him.

Your partner's kids treat you like they do because they know that your partner will allow it. What do you think that says to them? What does it say to you?

SavvyKim's picture

I know hereiam, but he cannot see that it is his fault, even though I have told him numerous times that he is enabling their shitty behavior, he still said it is me causing the problem in the first place, by having a go about his 'Little Princess's' wedding, he blames me for the whole thing, I have told him that although I have drawn a line over the wedding, his daughter was still wrong x

SavvyKim's picture

SacrificialLamb, a selfish partner who is a bully and likes to control everything, sorry, the gloves are out and he will see the nasty side of me now x

hereiam's picture

That won't completely solve the problem. If your partner respected and cherished you, the step kids wouldn't matter one way or the other.

SavvyKim's picture

I know hereiam, I am trying to keep my relationship together, we have been really happy until his bitch of a daughter's wedding x

hereiam's picture

Stand your ground. Then, you will see exactly where HE stands.

Good luck. I hope it all works out for you.

still learning's picture

Weddings and funerals bring everyone together right? More like the crazy that was bubbling just under the surface explodes. At least you know how DH and his children *really* feel and can move forward in a direction that is right for you.

SavvyKim's picture

OMFG, another huge row tonight because I refuse to speak to his bastard son! He told me he is having a New Year;s Eve party and I am invited, but if I don't want to come I can go upstairs to bed. I again told him not to cross me, if he insists on this party, I will tell everyone to leave, why are these bloody parties so important to him?

Apparently, he told his son yesterday he was wrong - really - after letting him disrespect me and the fucking idiot still is expecting me to make it up with the asshole. I asked him why does he let his kids disrespect me, then want me to make it up with them, I said no way this time, if I back down, they will keep repeating the process so his son can go and take a jump, I really need an exit plan, my partner is truly an utter and complete bastard who clearly does not deserve me, you guys are so right, he reminded me again tonight, that this is his house - not mine!

fairyo's picture

You are surrounded by a whole load of crazy people Savvy! New Year's Eve??? We're still in August- at least for a few more hours! How can he insist? I would definitely have planned to be well gone by then. In fact,you have time to sell your Florida places and be spending New Year's Eve somewhere nice away from these nutjobs!
How can you 'make up' with them? It can't be forced against your will.
No matter how many times he tells you it is his house- you really don't have to live there. I know you have horses- is there anyone at the stables may be able to help you out? Weren't you going to see a lawyer at some time? There are people who will help Savvy, just go find them and get yourself free!!

SavvyKim's picture

fairyo, thank you, I am just so trodden down by him, I feel that I can't do any better, but the worm is starting to turn. I am looking at forcing his hand and making him give me money to leave as I am co-owner to the villas in Florida, sick of his bullying tactics - I am now starting to hate him x

SavvyKim's picture

I have just announced on FB that there will be no New Year's Eve Party - get out of that one you b****d!

MollyBrown's picture

Publicly fighting is not good. Once again, you need to get out. Save your money, get a job, make a plan. You both fight in unhealthy ways. Not good for either of you.

hereiam's picture

Apparently, he told his son yesterday he was wrong - really - after letting him disrespect me

Yeah, I don't believe he told his son he was wrong. He wouldn't have let it happen in the first place if he thought it was wrong. I think he is telling you what you want to hear, while saying something completely different behind your back.

Dump all of these people and take yourself out of their games. You CAN do better.

SavvyKim's picture

Totally agree hereiam, he is also putting the New Year's Eve Party before our relationship, he has told his daughter today that it is going ahead, even though I said I will cause a scene if he insists and goes ahead with the party. He is such a control freak, because I have never challenged him before, everything else seems so much more important than me - what should I do? My friend suggested that I pack a bag and leave him and tell him when he comes to his senses, I will return, if not, I will collect all of my stuff when I have a new place - oh my goodness, so lost here as I have nothing and he has all the cards Sad

MollyBrown's picture

Causing scenes, posting drama on FB, etc. You both are behaving poorly. If I recall, he owns the house, he should be allowed to have a party if he wishes.

MollyBrown's picture

Honestly I was not trying to be mean. I was pointing out ways to help you. What you are doing most likely will not lead to happiness for you.

sandye21's picture

Mollybrown, save your energy. This situation has been going on for quite some time with no progress on OP's part. I quit responding to this OP.

twoviewpoints's picture

" My friend suggested that I pack a bag and leave him and tell him when he comes to his senses, I will return, if not, I will collect all of my stuff when I have a new place ".

My suggestion is to remember this is the man who let you sit for 5 1/2 hours in your car while he had his son over...and he never called to tell you to come back.

Pack your bag, find your new place. Make your exit and don't look back. Time for the next chapter in your life.

Aniki-Moderator's picture

You need to do as your friend suggested.

If your partner is such an a$$ and determined to have that party and you are determined to cause a scene, have you ever considered that he might have YOU arrested and removed from the party??

Honestly, planning drama and scenes months in advance?? This is terribly unhealthy. Definitely make your exit.

Agree with this. Any time a person wants to cause drama or scenes out of spite, it is not healthy for the individual. It's also not healthy for the relationship, but it's been demonstrated there is no real relationship here. Your SO does not treat you with respect, and instead of you choosing a healthier life, you retaliate in anger.

When you finding yourself wanting to do things that you would not like or respect in other people, it's time to leave. Many of us who are divorced understand this, having turned into creatures we didn't necessarily like while in bad marriages. OP, you've been told for months now this is not a good situation. But rather than leave and make a better life for yourself, you are planning to cause a scene at a party that is 4 months away! Wouldn't you rather have peace in your life?

I can't remember if you are in counseling.....if not, it will be very beneficial for you to see that you have OPTIONS. I think you are lashing out right now because you don't feel like you have any.

hereiam's picture

He doesn't hold all the cards, he just wants you to think that he does.

Weren't you going to go see a solicitor to see what your rights and options were? What happened with that? You maybe thought that things were going to be okay after all so didn't go? Don't do that. Go.

He will, at least, have to buy you out of the villa in Florida or sell it so you can get your half.

Get your ducks in a row and get the hell out. And not until he "comes to his senses", that will just be another act and a lie. The relationship has only lasted this long because, like you said, you have never challenged him before, just gone along with the life he planned for you.

DreamingBig's picture

I have read quite a bit of this.
Yes your partner was at fault for allowing the wedding fiasco. Based on what he said he was a clueless man on it. The daughter was also at fault because women "know"! We just know. i cannot imagine the daughter feeling good if she went ot someone's wedding and was seated away from her partner.
I mean folks, partners are seated together - end of story.
As for house etc, if your relationship has gone that far south, then make him leave. Posession is 50% of the law. Don't leave. I am assuming you guys have joint ownership of the house and even if you don't, it's likely half yours anyway. So you don't have to leave. He is the one in the wrong. Throw his ass out.
There you go!
Z

SavvyKim's picture

DreamingBig, he owns the house, we are not married and he has always paid the mortgage himself and it is in his sole name, as we are not married, here in the UK I think I am not entitled to anything, therefore, I cannot throw him out. As for our villas in Florida, I am the co-owner to those.

I do know, when we start spending more time in Florida from next year things will be so much easier and I will not have his kids around all the time which will be so much better, we never had a problem before the wedding, the wedding has caused all problems we have, we have always got on so well before this event. Sometimes I want to leave him, sometimes I want to stay and try to get back to where we were before all of this bull****.

fairyo's picture

What did the solicitor say? Did you go see them- although you may have no property rights out of marriage you are entitled to something. Do you work? Have you ever worked in the UK? There are ways of getting yourself out of this even if you are in the UK. What happens to your horse when you go back to the States?
And if I were you I wouldn't wait until next year- I would get on the first, cheapest flight to Florida and put that place up for sale. However, if you want to to stay and suck up the bullshit...