You are here

Should I cook a meal?

Too old for this's picture

This sounds like a stupid situation  but I would like some advice.  Several weeks ago I emailed SD (the one who actually speaks to me sometimes)to organize Christmas dinner.  Sometimes she, her husband and 2 kids come on Christmas Eve, sometimes Christmas Day. Either way, I put a lot into it.   I never got a reply to my email.

Now she replies to her dad saying they  want to stay home so they will “come over on the 26th.”  

I am not inclined to duplicate Christmas dinner.  I don’t even know what to do.  She has been purposely distancing herself from me - I believe because her sister has really upped the hatred against me.  The distancing has been so palpable that even DH noticed.  (For example, recently she excluded me from a family “reunion” when her sister was here from out of town.  Then when DH’s family was here from out of town, I had her and ALL her in laws over so they could meet her cousins.  She velcroed herself to  her in laws, ignored me, never said thank you and generally acted entitled.)

My inclination is to treat  the 26th like a casual visit, give the children (1 and 3) their gifts, and not prepare anything. Maybe a cup of tea or something.

Suggestions welcome.

lieutenant_dad's picture

"Sorry kids, the offer was for the 24th or 25th. If you can't make that, let's look later in the month. OP and I are available on the 29th."

Your home isn't a bed and breakfast, or a restaurant. What's with this whole picking a date thing that she is doing?

And any day that isn't on the actual holiday, and hasn't been discussed as an alternative due to any reason than "I don't wanna" should be treated as a casual event.

Merry's picture

Are you even available on the 26th? I can be passive aggressive too so I'd conveniently find something that you and DH have to do that day. Decent people arrange mutually agreeable dates to get together--not just announce when they will make their royal appearance.

But I wouldn't offer dinner. A plate of Christmas cookies and tea or coffee is fine. That's festive but no extra work (buy them if you don't make them). And the littles will like it!

If your DH wants to do anything else, that's on him.

Survivingstephell's picture

She changed the tradition so you get to change what you do in response.  Keep it really simple. I was thinking pizza and dessert.  Simple.  Theyn only want the gifts anyways, I'm sure like most skids.  

We have celebrated on the 26th, inlaws are old and were sick a few years ago.  It all works out.  Unless you want to send DH over with gifts and bypass the whole thing with SD.  

susanm's picture

Schedule it for a non-meal time.  Maybe 2:00 or 7:00.  Just cookies and something to drink while people chat and exchange gifts.  Nothing cooking on the stove to indicate that this is a lengthy visit.  Thanks so much for coming....bye!

TwoOfUs's picture

I actually understand wanting to stay home on Christmas Day if you have small kids...it’s a lot of work to pull it together and staying home all day after seems nice.

I’m sorry your SD is distancing herself...but I might not take this one personally. I also wouldn’t recook a whole big meal. My family does soup the day after Christmas...and it’s a nice, easy reset to the rich holiday meals that we all love.

make it easy on everyone and do leftovers or soup or nothing...up to you :) 

notarelative's picture

I wouldn't cook another turkey. But, since the date was given in advance, I'd probably do spaghetti and meatballs. Easy meal and the kids love it.

We usually get an 'are you guys going to be home tomorrow or later today' sometime after Christmas. Last year they called and came on January 15. They got pizza that DH ordered and picked up because he was hungry. 

For us, knowing at the end of November that they were coming on December 26 would be better than our current situation.

hereiam's picture

My inclination is to treat  the 26th like a casual visit, give the children (1 and 3) their gifts, and not prepare anything. Maybe a cup of tea or something.

Sounds perfect to me. That is, if you even want company on the 26th. I mean, I have never dictated the date when someone has invited me to dinner. I can't even imagine....

notasm3's picture

No meal. No leftovers. No pizza. 

Maybe a plate of cookies and a bowl of chips. 

beastofburden's picture

Tell your husband to work it out. Then go out shopping in the Boxing Day sales and leave them all to it.

simifan's picture

Dh and skids set this up. Dinner is his problem. Don't forget to smile sweetly when you have nothing to eat and tell him in the most sugary voice, " oh Darling, I thought you and skids planned everything out." 

disrestep's picture

After the way SD has treated you, you were more than kind to send her and her family an invite for Xmas. I would not even of sent them an invite, but that's me....she doesn't deserve your kindness.

You should be allowed to enjoy Xmas Eve and Xmas free of any adult skid related stress. That is exactly what I'd do.

I'd tell my DH I invited them and they don't want to spend the holiday with us, so if he wants to wait on them, he can, I'm not. It sounds to me like they are coming over in the 26th for a holiday gift grab and run. I'd go even further and let DH deliver their gifts to them and relax at home free of skids and their disrespect.

I use to invite adult skids and family over for holidays and they played no show games at the last minute or would come over hours and hours late with other people not invited, always treating me like bleep. No more. It's not worth catering to hateful people.

Enjoy your holiday and don't let adult skids ruin it.

MissTexas's picture

a story I heard about years ago. It was very similar in nature; unwanted company and the stresses they bring.

This person made brownies laced with Ex-Lax! The company started having that "strange feeling" and needed to leave suddenly.

I have also heard of another person doing that (in college) and stretching saran wrap over the toilet bowl, then putting the seat down...you can imagine how nasty this could get...just sayin'.

I wouldn't lift a finger, actually. If the dates you suggested don't fit into their schedule, making a turkey and a full spread to go with it, shouldn't fit in your plans either.

sammigirl's picture

Cold left overs, they can help themselves, if you DH wants to make the offer to them.  

I have not offered my SD a drink of water for 5 years; DH never thinks about it.  I also fixed dinner after dinner for 30+ years, not even a thanks or help cleaning up.  No more!

You made the invitation for Christmas, it is over by 26th.

Just be civil and please don't feel guilty.  (((Hugs))))).