You are here

Shaking my head

Miss T's picture

DH and I are less than 2 months away from an international move. We're absolutely losing our minds with chores, details, visas, getting our house ready to rent ... the list seems endless.

We're selling most of our things, of course, and one of the things that went was our second car. Which left us with one car. Which blew up while DH was driving out to visit his darling son. No point buying a replacement now.

So now we have no car to help us do the million things we need to wrap up in the next few weeks. Here in the US--have you tried to rent a car lately? Fuggidaboudit. It's horrendously expensive if you can even find a rental. SS, such a sweet boy, offered to let us use his car. The hitch is that he has not yet purchased it. The car he wants to buy  is currently very much in demand, and DH has to help SS find one. We get to use it after the purchase is complete.

Meantime, my own DD has outright given us her own car for the duration. No problem, no question. Just--when do you need it, I'll bring it over. After a day of errands I make a point of returning it to her washed and with a full tank. Meanwhile DH is running himself ragged keeping up his end of our chores while trying to find the car of his son's dreams.

I've often thought it seems fishy that steps written about on this forum sound so bad compared with the bios described here. Let me tell you, in this case there's nothing fishy about it. My kid infuriates me at times, but she truly is being an angel next to that selfish *ric* running his father ragged.  

Like I said--shaking my head.

JRI's picture

You must be going nuts with it all, I can't even imagine.  I learned about the car rental issue when my brother tried to find one locally for his visit to my mom, he ended up driving instead of flying, the situation was so bad.

Your daughter sounds like a doll.  Thank goodness she is plugging in.  I hope all goes more smoothly.  Good luck.

CLove's picture

Planning a trip to an island and yeah...next year maybe - the cost of the car was 1/3 the cost of the entire trip - flight and hotel.

I can wait and drive somewhere nice!

So sad that your husbands kid is so selfish, and your DH is pandering to that. But kudos to you raising a sweet kiddo who is generous.

Good luck with your move!!!!

Rags's picture

We got rid of just about everything when we started out Expat adventure.  All we had left was our home, which we rented out,  clothing, and a couple of pieces of furniture that SS made in shop class oir were heirlooms from my DW's GM.  We even sold our cars.  My DW used my SS's new car that we had given him as a HS graduation, Christmas, Enlistment gift.  He could not use it until he got out of Tech Training so my DW used it until she joined me over seas.

Enjoy your move.