You are here

Sgkids out of the blue change what they call us!

jam's picture

My osd kids have always called my dh "Papa J" and referred to me as "Grandma Jam". These sgkids refer to their paternal grandparents as "Grand-dad" & "nona" and they refer to their maternal grandmother as "grandma". Out of the blue I noticed that the sgkids ages 7 & 5 started referring to us as grandma & grandpa and then my osd calls & tells her dad that the kids decided they wanted to change what they call us and that she thinks it is more endearing. When told this my dh expression just looked like a big question mark. osd goes on to make a point that the kids have never referred to "nona" as "nona T"

Here is a little history. osd bm hates my dh and hates me. When osd was expecting child # 2 she advised us that she was naming the baby after my dh but before the baby is born we become estranged from osd for over a year. Needless to say the baby was not named after my dh. At that time we were estranged from all three skids. skids bm has pas'd the kids and I am sure she is very happy that at least 2 of the 3 skids have nothing to do with us. osd then comes back into the picture and when her third son is born she named him after my dh. About a year later osd shares with us that she has a problem with one lady who refuses to call her youngest son by his given name. I do find it interesting that she would think we are to stupid to know that the lady she refers to is her bm.

So now the sgkids call us grandma & grandpa unless they get excited about something. Then they quickly blurt out the old name of "papa j" & "grandma jam".

I personally don't believe that the sgkids decided on their own to change what they call us and I really don't mind either name. What I do dislike is the hoops osd jumps through to make bm happy & being treated as if we are just to dumb to know something is going on.

any thoughts?

Acratopotes's picture

OSd wants something from you and DH, thus the teaching of the kids to call you something else...

I would simply tell the kids, I'm Gran Jam and this is Papa J.... we like the names more then grandpa and grandma..
this way OSD can not confuse the kids again if she gets angry with you and DH...

but yes it's OSD manipulating those kids to butter you and DH up for something big

hereiam's picture

Out of the blue I noticed that the sgkids ages 7 & 5 started referring to us as grandma & grandpa and then my osd calls & tells her dad that the kids decided they wanted to change what they call us and that she thinks it is more endearing.

Hahahahahaha! What a crock. There is an ulterior motive somewhere, you can be sure.

twoviewpoints's picture

Let the gkids call you with what they are comfortable with. Obviously as Papa J and Grandma Jam keep popping out it's what they are use to. Why someone decided it should change is beyond me ... my hunch is BM is having a hard time (aka b*tch fit) with having Papa J and her youngest grandchild namesake shoved in her face. She worked hard on trying to taint J in her children's eyes :sick: Papa J and Little J shows she failed.

As an aside, my niece's MIL assigned 'Mom' and only 'Mommy' for nieces baby (now toddler) to call my niece. Why? Because MIL assigned other versions to other extended female family. Yep, paternal great-grandma must be Mother June, grandmother must be Mama May and MIL herself Mom Peggy.

Well that went over like a loaded fart. By the time niece's MIL got to assigning names to my sister , the child's maternal Gma as Nona and my mother, the maternal great-grandmother Miss E (Mom's name starts with E ) my niece went off like bad on ugly.

What's up with such antics with some of these grandparents Sad

Thumper's picture

Have the kids decided to call other people in their circle different names too to be more endearing?

Such as their teachers?

Priests/Rev/Pastors/Rabbi's

Kids do not think of this stuff on their own, they think about KID stuff.

Maxwell09's picture

Meh. SS5 calls my mother and father the names I picked out for him. They don't resemble Grandma or Grandpa in any way and I did that purposely. SS already has a MawMaw, PawPaw, Pops, Grandpa, Grandma, MeeMee and two Nanny's and that's just between BM and DH. It can be a bit much on a kid sometime so who's to say your SD isn't just trying to make it easier for her kids. I personally don't see a big change from Grandma and Grandpa from Grandma Jam and Papa. The only thing that crosses my mind is that maybe BM's got a new man and he wants to be called Papa instead.

jam's picture

Personally I think it was the easiest on the kids calling us "papa j" and grandma jam". The j in papa j is papa's first name and jam in grandma jam is my first name. Pretty simple. But what the hell do I know. I am just the stepmom Smile

Rags's picture

No one decides what to call you. You and DH decide that. So, reset the G-Skids back to calling you what you and DH want to be called and stick to your guns.

Good luck.