You are here

Selfish or Justified?

sammij24's picture

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and hoping I can gain some clarity and/or advice on my current situation. My fiancé and I have been together for 4 years now. I have a son from a previous marriage who is 9, my fiancé’s daughter is 23. When we first began living together, SD was away at college and we only saw her on the occasional weekend and breaks from school. It was rough when she was home since we didn't see each other often enough to get used to living together. As time went on I realized how dependent she was on her dad- always calling him about useless topics (example: "My mom's dog was so excited to see me today! We're cuddling on the couch right now."), financial assistance (paying for gas, tickets to theme parks, vacations SHE wanted to go on, food she wanted because she "didn't like" what we had at home), etc. She's also one of the most disgusting people I've ever met. She rarely cleans up after herself- leaves her laundry for us to do, crumbs and dishes all over the place, and her room is so horrible I refuse to have the door open. I have discussed all of these issues with my fiancé, but grow tired of nagging them both so much. She is not a bad person, she is actually very sweet, but I have a hard time when she’s around. She wants all of her dad’s attention, and gets jealous when he pays too much attention to my son. We can’t have conversations to ourselves unless we’re in bed because she’s constantly butting in and asking questions. She wants to go out with us to bars or events with friends and always asks when she gets to go on vacation when we go somewhere without her. She does have some social quirks that prevent her from making a lot of friends, and I do feel bad about that, but we cannot be her source of entertainment!

As of the summer, she’s been living with BM as she lives closer to her job. It’s been nice not having her around as often. (I know that sounds horrible, but it’s how I feel.) The bigger issue lately has been that she can’t ever just come to visit, she always has to stay the night- sometimes multiple nights. Maybe I’m being mean and unjust, but I just wish she could come have dinner with us, hang out for a bit and then leave. I don’t understand why at 23 years old she still feels the need for sleepovers… I feel bad that every time I see her car drive up or name pop up on the phone, I feel dread. I don’t know what to do to move forward with this. I know I would feel terrible if my fiancé felt this way about my child.

Sorry this was so long! Any advice?

tog redux's picture

Wait, she's 23, works full-time and still has a (messy) bedroom at both BM and your fiance's house?

Nope, time to move out on her own, or at least live full-time with BM (if she's willing) and just visit dad. Maybe the odd sleepover (in your GUEST room), but no messy room full of crap.

sammij24's picture

I would LOVE for her to get a place of her own, but she needs to build up her savings first. She didn't have a job at all until her last year of college because her dad never pushed her to. I understand that part, but living like a pig is ridiculous in my eyes.

tog redux's picture

Then she can live with her mother - her room at your house becomes a guest room and she can stay on occasion, but it's not her place to leave all of her stuff.

I'm guessing you don't have her father on your side on this, right? You need to sit down with him and let him know you no longer want her to live there (or if she is allowed to, some basic rules need to be followed).

sunshinex's picture

You're not selfish.

I'm 23. Live in my own home. Drive my own car. Married with two kids. My parents live far away so if I fly to visit them, I pay for a hotel or cottage to rent so we don't drive anyone nuts Smile I also clean up after myself and my kids on the odd time we DO stay with my mom or dad - more than picking up after ourselves, we wash the bed linens and towels before we go. THIS is reasonable from adult kids/skids. THIS is what you should expect. Sounds like SD needs to seriously grow up. 

Crazymess's picture

Can you say you want to convert the room to a workout room or extra office. Pick up a hobby and say that you need that room for your hobby. Or don't say anything and just do it.

I have that same dreaded feeling whenever I see SD-20 car in our driveway or calling my husband. She's married and at first wanted to have sleepovers with her husband and baby and i had to put a stop to it. Now they want to hang out on the weekends for hours at a time. I'm still trying to figure out how to cut that off.We've been married and living together for less than a year so i haven't gotten used to her being around us that much. I'm selfish i want my space on the weekends.

sammij24's picture

I feel better knowing I'm not alone in this. All of my friends have young kids and don't seem to understand it's different. Thanks.

Gracefulsilver's picture

I moved out of my parents home at age 17 and supported my self since then.  There is no reason to feel guilty over expecting someone her age to get out on their own.

captjacksprrw's picture

I have a SS28 who lives at home, pays rent and has a full time job.  The good:  He's quite, often holes up in his room upstairs and can be pleasant when he isn't PMS'ing.  The bad - Does not take out the trash, as far as I know his riim still rivals the county dump and he is so very emotionaly undeveloped and has no decent life skills.  I really want him to launch.  It's not that he's such a pain, but Coe on 28!