You are here

SD before WIFE

LindaLee's picture

In 2000, we moved 1,250 miles from home, and my 20 year old SD soon followed.

She invited her dad out for a birthday lunch last year, just the 2 of them. Last Father’s Day, she invited him out for breakfast. He invited me to go with them. After talking to her about where and when, he said it was only going to be the 2 of them (again her idea). This year for his birthday, she invited him for lunch. He got back and told me the grandchildren AND her boyfriend were there! He knows how much this hurts me, as I have no family here. When I asked him why he doesn't tell her I'm coming with them, he says he’s not getting in the middle. I think that’s what hurts the most, he doesn’t put me first. He’s a great husband, except when it comes to his little princess. His voice actually changes when he talks to her on the phone, it’s all sweet and syrupy.

How do I get through this?

Acratopotes's picture

how do you get through this.... with a smile and a thought of fuck off...

disengage from SD, if she calls, walk out, if he talks about her, cut it short, change the subject to something else,
simply tell him not interested...

plan your own life and live it.... read allot on this site lol...

SM12's picture

I prefer my DH to go do things with my SS's without me as well. I already know when they are grown and gone, I will never be considered Grandma to their children or even invited into their lives. Doesn't bother me one bit. I don't want them to be a part of my families life either. I don't want them at my family functions. They made it clear early on they will not accept me so I have zero desire to try and force myself on them. It is their loss....Not mine.

ESMOD's picture

I know it hurts to be excluded, but it sounds like it is only on a handful of occasions in a year. Father's day, or a birthday. Also, just a lunch or breakfast.

I guess I don't, in theory, have an issue if a spouse wants to spend time with their bio kid without their spouse being present... on occasion.

In fact, based on the relationship, I am guessing that I would be relieved to not have to spend time with people I don't like.

I guess there is always the saying that a good offense is the best defense.

Next father's day/birthday. Plan a luncheon and invite HER and allow her to invite whoever else she wants:)

SMforever's picture

My SO said to me the other day "you have so many interests and friends, I am surprised you have any time for me". Wtf? I have no family within 3000 miles...of course I have to make friends to have a social life. My response "your 3 kids and your 7 siblings are your hobby...enjoy!" I think that hammered home the point. His kids don't particularly want me listening in on every convo they have with their Dad, besides they knew him for 25 years before I came along. We aren't joined at the hip...I thoroughly enjoy not having to spend every evening, weekend, and holiday in his exclusive company and certainly not continual visits to his kids.

Who in their right mind would want to spend every occasion with the skids, adult or otherwise. I find that incredibly boring, they all know each other so well, they have their inside jokes and history. I would much prefer to be pursuing my interests, which none of them seem to be the slightest bit interested in. All they seem to want is my cooking, my gifts and any money I throw in the pot. I just evaporate and do my own thing every second time he announces yet another family event.

Thumper's picture

Next year plan a 7 day trip OVER his birthday Wink

OR if that is out of the question. Take him to dinner/lunch the day, two or three days his birthday. Plan an overnight in a hotel for a night or two the weekend before his birthday.

Lets face it most folks like to celebrate Birthdays ON weekends anyway and rarely celebrate on the real day when it falls on a week day.

If he works, remember to load your car UP with balloons and take them into his office the day before his birthday.

MEN LOVE THAT, Makes them feel young Smile

Sorry your upset. Not sure of your age but at my age 'little over 49' it's just another day. This stuff just does NOT matter. LET her have the birthday. I would say ' OF course HONEYYYYYYYYY he is your dadddeeee YOU can have him on his birthday. I would not want it anyyyyyyyyy otherrrrrrrrrr way Enjoy your lunch, ok?

LindaLee's picture

Thank you for talking me through this. I will take your suggestions and fill my life with other interests/people, and build my life on what I want to do, not depend on him. I think I'm going to go away Father's Day weekend. That way I won't be home waiting for him to return Sunday morning after breakfast. You've made me feel better knowing I'm not the only one.

sandye21's picture

I am sure you could care less if you have a relationship with SD or not but you are hurt because you are being excluded and your DH condones it. You are making his lunches and his relationship with SD way to important. So let him go to his lunches and you create a wonderful world for yourself that DH can not be part of. There are all sorts of possibilities but do something you really love and put your soul into it. Think of the lunches as some boring meeting that he has to attend - something that you would not enjoy anyway - you really wouldn't. Show him that his relationship with SD is so trivial that you really don't want to discuss it at all, and when he brings her up you quickly change the subject. Make sure you are not home when he returns from the lunch, when you arrive home talk joyously about how much fun you had. Ask that he take all calls from SD in another room because you have to make a call to a very special friend. If he ever complains inform him, "You have your priorities and I have mine."

SMforever's picture

The most important thing is, make the pursuit of your own interests something you genuinely want to do so there is no time to feel "left out". Don't make it about him or his daughter. If she want daddee time then let her fill her boots. The conversation would likely be boring as shite anyway. Let them have their little mutual admiration fest, and be glad someone else is entertaining him for a few hours. Think freedom. Think day at the spa. But don't do it in anger, just be truly occupied and happy.

Rags's picture

You are going to have to confront him on this and explain to him that he either engages you as his priority or you are heading back home. Give him the choice and hold him accountable to make you his priority.... or..... hit the road.

Lemonygirl's picture

I completely disengaged from sd about 2 or 3 years ago. She's 23. After a very long 15 year history of being the target of her and "the clans" ridiculous abuse. It has taken time.
Against advice here, I did tell my DH I was done! She was not welcome back in my home. I don't think he expected all the rest. Here are some of the more delightful results of this.
I am no longer a target. I think the clan can't figure out what's going on. They are all now treating each other the way I used to be treated as there is no longer a target person. Even my DH is being called names and sd is having horrible fights with her bm. When I was the intended target, none of that happened. It was more like a competition to win at a all costs, but now nothing exists to compete with. They haven't dared to ask where I am or why I have sent no gifts for illegitimate baby or Christmas because deep down, they KNOW why. I am totally enjoying this. My mental health is better, I have started taking better care of myself. My dh can have all the visits and contact he wants, but with me removed, he sees them all for just what they are.

need.my.normal.back's picture

May I ask, after you told DH that you are done with SD, have he tried to talk you back into relationship with her: "I will talk to her , she will change", "So what does that mean, MY kids no longer allowed in our home?", "So you will never see them again, even if they will want to have relationship with you?"

I feel same way...they will never change. Just so sad that all this drama really takes a huge part of happy in marriage.

Lemonygirl's picture

Oh, one more comment on the syrupy baby talk to SD. I totally called my DH out on that. I compared it to if he had to listen to me do that to my bio son of the same age. I flat out told him how sexually unappealing it was for a partner to watch and hear that. It would be ok if she was 6 for God's sake. I never ever say stuff like that to him, but he stopped!

sandye21's picture

Lemonygirl, I would not ordinarily suggest that a SM ban a skid from the home but for my own sanity I had to do that very thing - and I have never regretted it. I disengaged tow times. The first time, after a certain period, SD, I was assured SD would be respectful. Before long, she was back to the same obnoxious and abusive person in fact worse. So you have to do what is right for the situation. Like you, DH is welcome to visit SD just about whenever he wants, (Anniversaries and Birthdays are the exception). And the syrupy talk - there is no longer syrupy talk because when I removed myself from the equation, SD and DH were faced with the 'truth' of their relationship to sort out - not necessarily a good thing.

How do I get through this?

I honestly don't think everyone can get through daddy and little girl unit. I failed. My SD22 moved in with us for 7 month and if she wouldn't move out I would be divorced now. Valentine Day, Wedding Anniversary, take out dinner just for two of them, I was not included, not welcomed...she was his wife,not me....it hurts so much, so I totally understand you. Sorry don't really have an advice just letting you know I feel your pain.

Lemonygirl's picture

Needmynormalback ,you start by hanging out here and reading everything you can. You start by putting yourself and your sanity and your sanctuary and marriage first. If your dh cares at all about his vows, he will start seeing the changes in you.

sammigirl's picture

Do what I have done for the past two years. I have made plans for my DH's birthday a few days (weekend) before his BD or Father's Day. I do the same for anything else for us. I up it a few days to beat SD to the draw!

I don't say a word, skids are not invited, only friends and family members that love us. We just celebrated DH's birthday yesterday, gift, card, I treated him to his favorite lunch and then cuddle time last night.

Now he can go spend Father's Day and his birthday; which are on the same day this year, with SD58 and family with no butt hurt from me. I'll spend Father's Day with my Dad (who will be 101 next week). My father still lives in his own home, alone (his wishes). So I will take him out to lunch; DH is welcome to come along of course.

I don't let SD58 interfere in my life; she is not a part of my life, and she will never be a part of my life again. She's history and has been for 8 years. When she stops in to see her Dadeee.....which is only about 6 times a year; I ignore her. I don't cater or speak to her. I am civil, but she knows she is never welcome in my world again and she also knows I don't care one minute about her existence.

SD told me she didn't want me around her, I oblige her; now she doesn't like that arrangement either. Her loss, her problem, and now she is DH's problem, I'm out of it.

CANYOUHELP's picture

I am in Sammi's position, as well. Follow her advise.

These S adults no longer exist in my world (I never did in theirs, anyway); and, with each passing year and occasion, I appear to be improving emotionally with this. I am getting a little stronger knowing I define my own happiness; I certainly cannot rely on my husband to protect me, I protect myself now by staying away from this sickly enmeshed mess. Just when I begin to feel that icky feeling of being left out in the pit of my stomach, I read posts here and I reach out to my dear friends who are already married to my husband (LOL), and follow their guidance.

I just want this entire dysfunction to stay away from me at all cost . I know if I HAD to be around them, we would divorce and I would want to divorce at that point; I cannot stand the man he morphs into and would have never married him, had I seen beforehand. I REFUSE to take one more insult or rude, crude remark and assorted gestures-- or anything more that lets me know I am worthless and meaningless-- in THEIR family. Apparently they effectively destroyed many of his prior relationships (he allowed it), long before my time, and he has his own conscience to deal with that one....

What I do not know, does not hurt me....with every year I get a little stronger with my disengagement and they get further away from me...It is not perfect, but I now know with certainly I have made the right and only decision ---150%!