You are here

SD 20 rooms smells all the time!

1dawoman's picture

My 20 year old SD's room smells vile. It's an on going issue and I don't k ow what to do. It's especially hard because when I mention it to DH his response is either, "I don't smell anything" or he turns it around and says my sons room smells. I always catch him in that one and tell him I'm on top of my son and when I notice it he cleans up right away, it's mostly laundry my son has. My DS is almost 18, he's a good kid, senior inHS, always on honor roll, good head on his shoulders. Believe me, I do not think my son is perfect, I am very hard on him. My SD on the other hand doesn't do anything but sleep all day, she works sometimes and she just recently dropped out of college since she failed 2 different semesters. I told my DH she is not college material and needs a full time job, he agreed but is not on top of her to get a different job and gets mad at me when I bring it up. Anyway, I'm getting off track, het room smells. My bedroom is upstairs, if her door is open I can smell her when I'm in my hallway by my bedroom. This is an on going problem and has been for years. I have bought her odor absorbers, I have sprayed, I have asked her numerous times to wash her sheets ( she never washes her sheets, blankets, ect). Her room has been bad, today when she left for work I went in there to open windows and try to figure out the issue. I found it, you're going to be as disgusted reading this as I was finding it. She has garbage bags filled with dirty sanitary pads and cum tissues. I don't know how my husband is unable to smell this and I don't know what to say to him about it. I did something equally disgusting so she can see what she is doing is wrong. I opened a sanitary pad and I put it under her pillow. When I picked up the pillow I noticed her vibrator so I put the vibrator on top of the pad, put the pillow down and walked away. I have stopped talking to her the last couple of days over cigarettes I have forbidden in my house but of course DH doesn't smell that either. I'm really at a loss on what to do with her. This isn't the first time she has hoarded garbage, a few years ago I found a pork chop in her garbage that was 2 months old. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to stop her from being such a slob or to get my husband to realize it and put his foot down once and for all? TIA

Indigo's picture

Not addressing your post exactly, merely one aspect by addressing the rather childish, frustrated, "are-you-freaking-kidding-me-side" of our reactions to SD/SGD's.

You're not alone. I placed bloody underwear and used tampon dispenser on SGD-12's bed when she left them in the guest bathroom downstairs. Public bathroom downstairs. Not in a trashcan but open on the tile floor. Tampon dispenser not wrapped in toilet paper (although I have shown her on an unused tampon, how to politely, sanitarily dispose of bodily fluids. ...) Blood-stained shorts and dirty socks, as well, wound up on her bed since they were left for visitors, other kids etc to discover. Not on the sheets, but on the bed. I lost my temper. Nothing was ever said when she visited a week later. Did my SO quietly go in and clean it up? Did SGD-12 realize and learn? Who knows.

You are not the only poster who has lost their cool.

Powerfamily's picture

Time for you husband to visit the doctor to find out why he has problems with smells. I mean that's really dangerous how will he smell if her room was on fire.

Although to be honest if it was me I would be giving them both notice if her room is not cleaned and she hasn't got a job by XXX date then they can both go and live somewhere else. Neither of then have any respect for you or your home.

sorrynotsorry's picture

I AGREE with you Ladyface. If the spoiled bitch can't pay the bills and there are smells so bad its becoming a HEALTH issue - she has every right to go into that stank room! If the bitch was paying rent - and other tenants complained and she never responded - they have every right to enter that room with 24 hours notice or less if the stench was that bad.

I'd kick her ass out - just take her shit and throw it outside- she's an adult with no job! And the husband can fuck off too - that's disgusting. He can't smell - it BS!! Men never have the balls to stand up to their kids or daughters. My fiancé tried that with me and told him CHOOSE! Your lazy ass adult skidmark or me - I ain't doing this with you. I'm not her mother and never will be.

Needless to say we BOTH cut her off with her attitude and entitlement. I hope I never see her fat face again!

Tuff Noogies's picture

i would have dumped the whole bag on her bed. then said "dh i'm serious this time, puhLEEEZ go check out that awful oder wafting from sd's room before i get sick..."

1dawoman's picture

I would love for her to pay rent. I even said something about it recently when she continued to pay for school and fail, it caused a HUGE fight between my husband and me. He has her on a pedestal so anything I say I automatically turn into the evil step mother. Even if he asks my opinion and I tell him what I think, he doesn't like it and gets mad at me. I finally told him don't ask me anything anymore. I told him she is causing a rift in our marriage.

You're right, I shouldnt be in her room but it smells so G-d awful. Last week agan it stunk. whenever I say anything to her she puts on these sad puppy dog face, I want to vomit, I've told her numerous times she's not cute. Whenever I complain that's when she decides to clean her room, she always comes out with a huge contractor bag of garbage. I told her if she's just on top of it it won't get that bad, she slammed the door in my face. When I told DH that and how she gives me looks that kill his response is, "I didn't see that" or "I'll talk to her" but he never does!!

I don't know if she's smoking but I have a suspicion. She was seeing this guy who smokes and she used to come home and stink up my whole house of smoke. I have a major chemical sensitivity and I made my husband break them up. I told him I was going to end up in the hospital. That was weeks ago, she's still seeing him of course because she still comes home reeking of cigarettes. I called her out on it Friday night, I went in her room to put important mail on her bed and it smelled like someone was smoking in there. She said it was her jacket and she needed to do wash. I told her I wasn't stupid, her room didn't smell stale it smelled fresh and new. She bats her little eyes to daddy and the 2 of them think I'm nuts.

She doesn't really have an actual boyfriend, she broke up with him to see smokey. I have a feeling she has more than one as she is constantly going out with different men in the evening. She never has anyone over when we are home but both DH and I work full time so who knows what she's doing. We also go to bed pretty early. She's pretty sneaky so I would t put it past her.

I just wish there was a way she would either leave on her own free will and join the circus or something. She's so disgusting, I was thinking g my only way for her to leave is if I forced her out by being evil step mother from Cinderella. I mentioned this to my bio kids and my BD12 said, "mommy she's not going to a ball." I just had to laugh. My kids don't like her as much as me, they are sick of her BS. My 12 year old was completely grossed out when I told her the source of the stench, you would think a 20 year old would be a role model for a younger step sister, my daughter can't get away from her quick enough.

She turned 20 last month but this has been an ongoing problem since we got married.

KittyKatMomma's picture

I know of a woman who went through the same thing.
You know what she did?

Hired a cleaning crew to come and clean/fumigate the bedroom-got everything pristine clean.
Paid with Hubby's credit card and had the stepchild (who was over 18) served with a 30 day eviction notice.

The house was hers before the husband and his kids moved in so she could legally do that.

The kid left that night and never came back...and eventually she kicked her husband out as well.

KittyKatMomma's picture

lol it was my grandmother actually with her 2nd husband's daughter
both came into the marriage with 5 kids for her 6 for him then added 2 more/

The stepdaughter held a lot of contempt and hatred for my grandmother for many years because of it.

1dawoman's picture

What will the moth balls do because don't they smell horrendous as well? I actually did dump it all on her bed but then I figured it would start a huge fight with dh so I put it all back and that's when I took one put it under her pillow with her vibrator to send a message that I know she's a disgusting pig.

As for bill paying, no we pay everything. She was going to go to school and paying thousands of dollars on her own since financial aid took the money away since she failed. Then my husband and I paid some money toward the second semester and then we found out that she failed again. Honestly she should be giving that money back to us but knowing him he will not ask for it. It irks me how she's always spending, spending,spending and every day she gets packages in the mail, that's why I told my husband that if she could go to school afford to go and fail and afford to constantly shop then she could afford to pay rent. We basically live paycheck to paycheck and and it's like she saying to us screw you how she uses her money so frivolously.

Rags's picture

:O The sexual hygiene elements of your post aside for now… those speak for themselves at this point. I believe that there is a genetic element to sensitivity to family related odors. I have no studies to reference on this just my own experiences and thoughts.

My bride always smells amazing. She goes to great lengths to avoid odiferous emanations. In my opinion she worries about it a bit too much. She smells great right out of her bathing efforts and even a couple of days later if we are on a camping/hiking trip. She just smells awesome. I too have what I would call a healthy though not manic commitment to personal hygiene.

It is interesting to me that when we visit my family neither of us has issues with their odors. I am not sure they really have any. But my ILs!!! Some of the IL clan odors could knock a buzzard off of a shit wagon. :sick: My bride can’t smell it for some reason. I have asked. :? Upon occasion it just about makes me gag.

My IL clan are mostly agricultural workers and do not practice what I would consider to be adequate body or clothing hygiene efforts considering their field of work. Most of them keep a reasonably clean home but even freshly bathed and with clean clothes on in a non agricultural otherwise odor free environment there is this not so subtle underlying stench that frequently wafts in moderate proximity to a few of them most of the time.

As for your SD and her inadequate stench ridden sexual secretion disposal methods… :jawdrop: time to take daddy for a tour of the stench lab (her room) so he gets a clear picture of the situation. As soon as you leave SD’s room after introducing your DH to his daughters disgusting sexual refuse disposal methods go immediately to your son’s room with DH in tow to show him the difference making sure to point out the complete absence of improperly disposed of sexual secretions.

Enjoy that tour and talk with DH. It ought to be entertaining.

1dawoman's picture

If her bedroom door is open the whole downstairs stinks, I am even able to smell her room when I am upstairs in my bedroom. My poor son's bedroom is right next to hers and has complained to me as well. My DD told me there is a smell when standing by her door. It's been bad for 7 years now and I can't keep living like this. I wish I could close her door and say not my problem but it's affecting my whole house.

1dawoman's picture

Omg I can't believe what I just read. It's no wonder why he's your ex. How long with you with him? You're a saint for even staying a day!

1dawoman's picture

It's our house, we bought it 3 months ago after renting it for a few years. I do have say but Dh gets mad at me when I talk about Sd. He does however listen to what I have to say or shall I say he used to, now he seems to tell me he will talk to her but hardly does. Or he will talk to her and believe her bullshit.

Cooooookies's picture

Sorry but the root of this problem is your DH. He isn't holding his adult DD accountable for anything. Until guilty daddy stops pitying and starts parenting, nothing will change. It then becomes a question of what can you live with? The options become:

-Ignore the stench, shut the door and mentally shut all of it out and continue living with your DH and his enabled DD.

- Have it professionally clean, charge it to your DH's credit card and tell him that will be done every time until he holds his DD accountable for being a decent human being. Go on with life with DH and his DD.

- Have it professionally cleaned, charge it to your DH's credit card and say she has xx days to get a job and get her own place/move out/couch surf/whatever but she's gone in xx days. If he doesn't like that then he can go too.

- Tell your DH to start parenting his adult daughter and she start paying rent or she leaves/they leave/you leave.

- You leave.

Also, I feel your pain. If you care to read my blogs, my DH is a guilty disney dad too. More than likely I will be in the same position in 5 years or so. It sucks.

LikeMinded's picture

yep!

LikeMinded's picture

SS hides poopy underwear and pants. There is always a smell in the room, even if you can't find his hidden treasures. The kid has issues that have been analyzed by a gazillion professionals, we can't fix him. He was born with his mom's issues, we're not going to be able to parent them out of him. He's going to have to "grow" out of them (and he is, it's happening less often now).

I got myself a cleaning service, and they just come in and clean it all. End of fighting, end of cleaning... end of discussion. I pay for it myself, as a gigantic gift to us all.

Cooooookies's picture

SS13 hides his poopy underwear too! I never knew this was a thing. People say you knew what you were getting into. How could anyone know?!?! No one knows about this step hell stuff!

LikeMinded's picture

Oh I hate the "you knew what you were getting into"--NOBODY knows what they're getting into!!!

LikeMinded's picture

Again, the problem is DH here, isn't it?

If this were my kid, she'd loose her electronics, her door, her car... whatever it took to change this behavior because I wouldn't want my daughter to become a gross slob. In fact, my kid is very neat with all that stuff and would be mortified if anyone even saw something that came from her.

But, this is DH's job, not the OP's.

Parents who just won't parent... so frustrating.

LikeMinded's picture

You're right, the cleaning service won't handle this stuff.

In our case DH does it if we find something. It's really sad when one of our other children finds an old turd. Sad

hereiam's picture

:jawdrop: It took him a few days to notice that there was a dirty diaper on his pillow?

mystical7's picture

OMG I'm horrified!!! All of a sudden I feel so lucky that none of my SD's ever lived with me! I would probably go through her entire room and clean it, organize it, and let her know if she ever messed it up again or piled up rotten koochie funk smelling piles of trash, she's out with no notice. That's absolutely disgusting. Skid needs a verbal beating and your DH too! It's your home, nothing of hers is private, even if she is an adult.

1dawoman's picture

I'm going to do that. I don't know if she is home now and he's on his way home but if I find out she's not home, I'm going to go in there and throw everything it in a little pile and then bringing them and show him. It's time he steps up. We've had so many arguments over the years on how he needs to stop being her friend and be her father. It's maddening to me how my kids have consequences and get in trouble, things taken away ect. His claim to fame is she so wonderful he only have to smack her hand away from an electrical socket once when she was a little girl she tried to put a penny in it. He still stands by that motto today. Through the years together, she agitates me so much I actually get anxiety over this crap.

1dawoman's picture

She just turned 20 last month but in reality that's a number because she less mature than my 3 year old niece.

sandye21's picture

Here's another idea: Get the most obnoxious 'room deodorant' that you can find and spray it in her room. After all, she's subjecting you to HER odors, why not reciprocate? She might even have to clean the sheets. And, of course, tell DH you can't smell a thing.

LikeMinded's picture

Oooh that's a good idea! So passive aggressive, lol! you can get some horrible smelling ones at the dollar store.

How about a bunch of those tree car thingies too?

LOL!

1dawoman's picture

When I got home from work I didn't know if she was home. DH came home with my groceries but luckily we still needed milk so after finding out she wasn't home I sent him back to the store. I went in her room and made sure to dump a huge pile of her nastiness behind the garbage can, turned on the light and then started. Setting myself up to be extremely upset. He came home and I said I needed to talk to him, I used the downstairs bathroom and just standing in the hallway, I was able to smell her room and went in to investigate. I showed him what I found and he wasn't all that upset but he could see I was and said its disgusting and he'll talk to her. I said I can't continue this where she always smells and he said, "what should I do, tell her to move out?" {YES! That would be perfect, but of course I didn't say that} He ended up cleaning it and I walked away to cook dinner. While he was cleaning it he was gagging but he wouldn't admit it, he said it was from being hunched over, when he came back to the kitchen he had tears streaming down his face and he was still choking. Nothing more was said, at 9pm she comes strolling in and I said I did t want to be there for the talk. She said hello and I just walked away and dint even look at her or respond. I went upstairs to talk to my DD. When he came up to bed I asked him if there's something I should know? He said he told her "I always try to stick up for you with the smells but he's always getting yelled at from me and this time he went in her room and was shocked by what he saw. She said she cleaned it up and he said, no you didn't, I know because I cleaned it up. It is no longer allowed in your room and you are to wrap it up and dispose of it in the bathroom garbage." She still maintained that she thought she cleaned it up and he told her to knock it off, you didn't clean it, I did. I asked if she cried since that's her thing and he said no but he was ready for it and he wasn't going to fall for it.

He said her room smelled better after it was cleaned up.

As for her vibrator and dirty pad, I checked, she threw away the pad I threw away the vibe. If she's not mature enough to clean up after her menstral cycle, she's not mature enough to diddle herself. I'd love to be a fly when she starts looking for it.

sandye21's picture

"While he was cleaning it he was gagging but he wouldn't admit it, he said it was from being hunched over, when he came back to the kitchen he had tears streaming down his face and he was still choking." I laughed my butt off! LOL LOL Isn't it something how our DH can gas light us over and over again, but when it happens to them ---- different story. Glad you got through to your DH.

1dawoman's picture

Thank you. I was glad he was sick actually even if he wants me to not believe it because when he spoke to her he was pretty pissed.