You are here

remarriage and stepdaughter preparing taxes

momingvl's picture

I am getting remarried in a few months.  My fiance' has had his grown daughter do his taxes for 4 years now as she's an accountant.  Once married, I feel we need to find someone outside the family.  My kids aren't privy to my income and I don't feel like his daughter should know all that about my personal finances.  Am I wrong for feeling this way?

sandye21's picture

Your is DH expecting blind trust with disclosure of your finances to his daughter.  It is understandable why you would be uncomfortable with this arrangement - especially as you have not been married that long.  Just smile and ask that he gives you time - you might feel differently next year.

The good thing is you can file your taxes separately until you feel more comfortable with it.

hereiam's picture

I don't think you are wrong, I would not like that at all. In fact, I would not let her have anything to do with my financials.

Myss.Tique D'Off's picture

Personally I would not be comfortable with SD having access to my tax information - I wouldnt care if she was the best tax accountant on the planet:  it is an unnecessary intrusion into my personal affairs.

If your DH wants to keep his daughter as an accountant, let him and file your taxes seperately. It is a descent compromise. As a competent adult, you have the right to make your own choices and he his.

marblefawn's picture

No, you're not wrong. And if it's a good relationship among all of you, she should understand.

I've found, though, that changing the way things were always done before I came along was difficult for my adult SD. You'll have to tread lightly. If you have a good relationship with her, maybe you could address her directly because she's going to know you're the reason for the change anyway. And just be honest.

If you think it will cause bad feelings, let him handle it. If you think it will be an issue with him, ask if he's willing to layout all his financial info to your family. If the thought of that doesn't make him cringe, file separately.

Aniki-Moderator's picture

No, you are not wrong.

I honestly feel that this is something you discuss BEFORE you get married. If he is adamant about SD doing the taxes, are you okay with filing Married, But Separate?

2Tired4Drama's picture

I don't see how SD can be objective and be looking out for BOTH of your best interests.  If a conflict arose, I am sure she would side with her father - which means she cannot objectively look out for YOUR best interests.   This is a professional ethics matter, IMO.

I agree with all others - get another accountant.

Rags's picture

Nope. You are not wrong.  Your income is none of her business.

My bride is a CPA and of course does our taxes. My family certainly picks her brain on a variety of CPA-ish topics but have never asked for her to do their taxes.

My IL clan on the other hand... most of them have her do them and she is happy to do their taxes for them.  They are for the most part low income farm laborers and over the years have funded H&R Block to the tune of countless thousands of dollars for "marginal" tax preparation services. 

My bride has saved them a ton of money not only in tax preparation fees but also in minimizing their taxes and maximizing their returns.  It took many, many years for them to get on board having a daughter/niece/sister who is a CPA but this past year they all had her do their taxes.  It drives her Nucking Futs how stupid most of them are in their financial decisions but.... at least they won't be going to prison for tax fraud.