You are here

Potential Stepmom-to-Be in Need of Advice

Jenn2016's picture

At this point, I am on the verge of cancelling my wedding and ending my relationship with my fiancé, all because of his 19yo son. In the beginning of our relationship, my fiancé kept his life with his son and his life with me very separate, spending time with only one of us at a time. When I was around, the son did not hang out with us, but I just thought that he was a teen who didn't want to hang out with older people. I was told that he was so smart and funny, that he was going to go off to a prestigious college, that he is super tech savvy, and that he was going to do all these great things. I had no idea that this information was mostly not true until recently.

Son had been in a dual HS/college program where he was supposed to have graduated with his associates degree at the same time that he received his HS diploma. This didn't work out, and he ended up having to continue at the community college for a year. After graduating from high school, son's mom wanted him to get a job. He told his dad that he just wanted to chill for the summer and would look for a job in the fall. Son ignored his mom, and dad supported it. At the end of August, son decided unilaterally (without even telling his father) that he no longer wished to do week to week. He just disappeared to live with mom, only telling dad that he wasn't coming back weeks later when dad took him out to dinner. Dad never called him out on being rude and inconsiderate (dad had expected him to show, and he just didn't). Son would complain to dad that mom was being a b**** and harping on him to get a job, but he continued to ignore her. By October, mom had kicked son out because she found drug paraphernalia in his bedroom. This is where my vision of the future started to fall apart...

Son told dad a bogus story that any teen who was caught with drugs would have said. He said it had been his friend's marijuana, and that he had only tried it one time months ago, and that he had no idea that any paraphernalia was in his room. Of course, dad believed him. I was first told that mom had searched his room. I asked why, if it was his friend's MJ that he used one time, he would have had the paraphernalia at all, let alone in a drawer (I assumed this part since I was told that mom searched). I find it hard to believe that 1) they would have used in mom's house since mom didn't work and was usually home, and 2) that even if they did use in mom's house, his friend would leave his paraphernalia behind and not retrieve it for months. I was then told that the paraphernalia was just sitting out in the open and mom noticed it, that son didn't know it was there. If it was in the open, how could son have not seen it in his room for months? At this point, dad finally admitted that he had no idea where it had been found, which negated everything he had just said. He asked son no further questions, and there were no consequences from dad. This whole scenario is made worse since dad used to be in law enforcement and would question anyone else.

By this point, we had a date set for our wedding. I told dad that I now needed to be involved with son, since I would be his stepmom and he would be living with us. Dad initially said ok. I said that son needed a car (he had been using dad's while he was at work, but dad was about to lose the company car). As luck would have it, dad's brother is co-owner of a used car dealership. Dad sets it up for son to get a job and a car, fixing everything for son. Dad is excited, saying that his brother will teach son the business, and they discussed growing hours and responsibilities, with son possibly making more than us within a year. Son begins working, 10 hrs/wk. Within 2 weeks, son had caused over $3600 worth of damage to one of the vehicles. Son did not do well at this job. He was not fired since he is related, but he will not get any more hours, max of 40-50 hrs/mth.

The more time I spend with kid, I start making note of what he says and does. I realize that he is a millennial and not at all like dad described. Kid is lazy and unambitious. He is a loner and doesn't have friends. Kid stays in his room by himself. He has no athletic ability. He says things like "I don't really worry...lots of people are in the same situation as I am about a car...if I had to pay for that, why would I work?...I don't do people...they make it so hard for people like me." Kid was out of class by noon Mon - Thurs (and he can with his schedule (between school and work, we're talking a 10AM at least on Mondays), so I suggested he could look for another job to get more hours. Dad immediately tells me that he doesn't think max of 24 hrs/wk - probably less). He then blows up at me. We had lots of blowups in the first few weeks. I couldn't even mention son's name without dad getting defense. He didn't hear me, he yelled, I cried.

We quickly got to my breaking point. Dad said he was committed to us and would do whatever he had to in order to work this out. But dad kept putting son first. He rushed me at Thanksgiving because loner son chose to go and refused to socialize with my family after eating. Dad sat in a corner with son, and then asked me if I was ready to go...even though he knew I had been excited for weeks about spending time with family members I hadn't seen in years. Dad talked to his mom and his friends, only giving his perspective - all told him he was wrong and I was right, that it was time for son to grow up and have responsibility, and that he was having a tough time letting go. We went to a counseling session, where the counselor told him that anything he does for son that son is capable of doing for himself is robbing him of an opportunity to grow and is abusing the father/son relationship. I bought a book on communication, which be both read; we discussed all of the questions at the end of the chapter.

Dad had told son that he had until May to decide what he wants to do. I told him that he did not. College deadlines are approaching, and we needed to know son's plan (it is beyond me how a parent could not sit his child down to ask this). As soon as dad says that we wanted to check on son's plan, son goes off on a rant about how he has never told his dad or anyone else that he ever intended to go to a 4-yr school. He was valedictorian in HS, so everyone expects him to do all these great things, but son doesn't really want much. He says he wants to have a "little apartment, with a little job, and little hobbies." (basically, what he has right now, living with dad). He puts in applications "occasionally," most recently at the dollar store. Before the conversation, dad worried that he would sound like mom. During the conversation, dad kept saying "We're not trying to make you mad!" I was the one that had to explain that he needed to come up with a plan that would lead to him being self-sufficient, and that his stated goals wouldn't allow for that. We agree to revisit the conversation after finals. Son brings it up a week later, and dad ignores and avoids the conversation. I engage, while dad just sits there.

Dad spent some time with me before Christmas and was supposed to stay with me through the weekend and go with me to my parents' house the day after Christmas. Son was not going to stay with me, but he would see us for Christmas Eve with his grandpa and Christmas Day with his grandma. Dad starts freaking out about "leaving son alone for Christmas," but he wouldn't have been alone. So, dad chooses to leave me alone for Christmas, telling me that I need to drive to meet him at all these places and then he'll go home and I'll go home. To him, this was "including" son, but it was choosing him. He never once suggested that we all do anything together after church on Christmas Eve or Christmas morning. I was not supposed to be upset at all about this, even though I was only in town for him (my parents live hours away). After the Christmas Eve service, in the church parking lot, dad blows up at me. He tells me he's not going with me to my parents' house, and that we're just going to "get through the holidays and be done." He says that he doesn't see this working out and says he should get the ring and his things from my house, and we should be done. I take the ring off and offer it to him, but he won't take it. Suddenly, it needs to be back on my finger...I say I'm not putting it back on until it means something.

He wished me a Merry Christmas on Christmas morning, but did not ask how I was doing. He never said that I shouldn't be alone for Christmas. I ended up going to my parents' house early, without him. While I was gone, he groveled, but he still did something that was supposed to be something we were going to experience together for the first time, and he did it with people I had introduced him to. He didn't understand why this would bother me.

Son has no chores and no consequences. If dad asks him to do something and he doesn't, dad lets it go. Dad will run errands and clean all day on a Saturday, to the point that he has no time to see me...while son sits in his room "doing his thing." Dad won't delegate. Son says he's not currently looking for a better job, and dad has yet to tell him that he has to. When I suggested letting son do the grocery shopping (dad shops with a list anyway), dad said he would probably go with him to "shadow him" the first time, and he got mad when I told him that this would be hand-holding. At 19, dad was in combat being shot at. I don't understand why he still takes care of everything. He doesn't ask questions, he doesn't require anything. He doesn't hold son accountable for anything. He alters his behavior when son is there, and he coddles him. And I'm the bad guy whenever I say anything.

At this point, I know I have to at least postpone the wedding (it was supposed to be in less than 3 months). I will not enable son to be a bum. I will not remain financially responsible indefinitely for an adult who is fully capable of taking care of himself. I will not be son's bank whenever things happen, because he only does the bare minimum and doesn't have money. Dad has a huge fear of failure, abandonment, and change. He says he hears me and understands...but in the next conversation, he says he never said what I heard (which I know was correct) and that I twisted his words. I guess my question in all this is whether I should even try anymore, or whether I should walk away. Friends say to run. I don't know of anything else I can do that I haven't already (praying, talking, counseling, books, patience). Even dad's mom is on my side. She says dad has had anger problems in the past, that he is overly defensive, and that he needs to let son go. Son will never go if not pushed. Dad won't push son until I push dad, and that results in tons of arguing. I love dad, but I am not going to sign up for this for the rest of my life. Is there any chance that it will get better? Or do I need to let go now?

hereiam's picture

Nope, not going to get any better. There is a reason he tried to keep his life with his son separate from you.

You will always be trying to push dad to push son, and it will always result in arguing. Read some of the "adult step kids" posts/forums. Your marriage will revolve around this "kid".

MummaTon's picture

Hi
Do you and your fiance live together now? Is the son currently with you? I absolutely would NOT go through with the wedding until this is sorted out. Unless you and your partner are on the same page I guarantee this will not get better.

Jenn2016's picture

We do not live together. We promised our pastor that we would not live together prior to marriage, and I am so thankful for that. Before son got kicked out of mom's house, the plan was for dad to move into my home after the wedding. Now, of course, it would be the son. And I will not plan a wedding while we are on the path for son to become the 40yo computer geek living in our basement!

Dad says he's willing to work on it, but I have seen no progress. If not for me, we would have gotten married, and come May, son would have no job or car and have no opportunity to go to college because he would not have put in any applications. Thank God I started asking questions!

Given the way the last few months have been, I just don't know that dad is even capable of changing. And I want a child. How can I explain to my 16yo that he has to get a job and go to school and have life goals to be self-sufficient, if his 36yo brother still lives with us, or if we still give him money? Son scoffed when we mentioned him having a family one day, so I don't even think there would be the girlfriend motivation. If dad doesn't change, neither will son. I just don't know how much longer I should even give him in his attempts to "work on this."

Is_What_It_Is's picture

No, doesn't get any better - especially if dad is enabling every step of the way because he doesn't want to make the kid "mad" or upset. If son is not made to do something then why do anything at all - he'll take the path of least resistance every time. And dad has already shown time and time again that he will put man-child in front of you and his own happiness. You cannot change that - but be thankful you saw it now and not after you walked the isle. Give them all the space they need and you may find out that you are just perfectly happy doing your own thing without such drama.

Jenn2016's picture

A couple of weeks ago, I told my fiancé that I wanted to go out for NYE since he had let me down last year. After what happened on Christmas Eve, I changed my mind. I will be having a peaceful NYE alone. If I see him at all tomorrow, it will be for lunch. He has ruined Thanksgiving and Christmas for me this year, but I WILL have a peaceful New Year. And he had better make some significant changes fast if he wants to keep me. Otherwise, he will be one of the changes I will soon be making.

MummaTon's picture

Your own comments are your answer - if in doubt - don't do it. The son is 19 yo. He should be capable of being independant and you and your fiance should be able to lead your own lives with him having no impact at all at this age. Don't settle for less than this.

hereiam's picture

And he had better make some significant changes fast if he wants to keep me.

Chances are, this is not going to happen. He is who he is, and he is the kind of parent that he is and has always been. He will pretend that he wants to change for you, but he really does not want to change. He would have done it many years ago, even before you, if he wanted to do things differently, if he wanted his son to turn out differently. If he wanted his relationship to be different and a priority.

This is what you get, I'm afraid. Take it or leave it but don't expect change.

No Name's picture

I married my husband after being together for almost 15 years and being engaged for 10 years. We each had three children. I had two that were young adults and one that lived with me. He had three that lived with his ex and that he supported. I wan ted to wait for financial reasons. I wanted to wait until all of these children were out of school and emancipated. So once they were all out of high school(his) and college (mine) we got married. Then we got blindsided by his son who barely made it out of high school who decided to go to college and child support was re-instated. Long story short BM and son lied and although the kid enrolled he never attended. We did not find out until almost a year later. Back to court for emancipation and he tried to enroll at yet another college but was too late. He worked for a little while then enrolled yet again. BM threatened with court again unless DH agreed to pay all of SS's bills which he/we have been doing for the past two years. Found out this past week that it has all been a lie. SS has been taking a class here or there but in no way is a full time student. Now this 21 year old SS is moving in with us. I can't even begin to describe how I feel and DH doesn't care. It's all about SS and that he has to help him. I love DH but I didn't sign up for this!!! I want no parts of this arrangement. Please, please wait to marry this man until he is available. At this time he is not. If I would have known that this was going to happen to me I would have waited.

Jenn2016's picture

All valid comments. And I suppose I should clarify. I never intended to imply that I was ok with how my fiance has treated me. I am not. He has not been let off the hook for his actions. I am also well aware that he has created this issue with his son. I have already told him that we are, in the very least, postponing the wedding. I have not worn the ring since Christmas Eve, and I will not be ringing in the new year with him. I know that it is very unlikely that he we change and very likely that we will not work out.

I have done my research on the issues with his son and how he contributes to them. I have sent him articles, which he says he will read. He has asked me to see a counselor with him. I have agreed to only one session, and I have told him that he needs to speak to someone on his own, because I will not tolerate the son as is, AND I will not tolerate how he has chosen to express anger in the past. I am old enough and smart enough to give it time, and that time will be without limit. I would only marry him if I had seen enough over time to know that changes had truly occurred. I am giving him a chance to work on himself, but I have not promised how long I will wait.

I think that some people may have inaccurately interpreted my age since I am not married and don't have kids. He is slightly older but age appropriate for me, and he has a 19yo son...so I'm not that young. I have no fear of being alone. I am a Christian and I forgive, but this doesn't mean that I will continue down this path. In fact, I will not. One way or another, it will end.

The purpose of this post was to get advice on the progression, and how likely it is that he would change. From most of the responses, it appears unlikely given the experiences listed here. Not impossible, but unlikely nonetheless. Our counseling session is on the 11th, so I will probably wait until then before deciding if I am leaving the relationship altogether. With that said, he is one blow up away from me being done at this point. The wedding is already off until further notice.

Thank you to everyone for the advice.

sandye21's picture

Jenn, I couldn't have said it better than you did, "One way or another, it will end." You have been in a relationship with this man for quite a while so it may seem like you are being thrust in unfamiliar territory if you move on to where you know you must go. You already know the end of this story. It's just a matter of taking the DVR out now or reliving the same drama over and over again. A total waste of time.

Kes's picture

I would agree with remarks made by Dadswifeorwhatever. In addition, it sounds like you are not living with your partner atm? If this is the case, I would keep it this way for the forseeable future. His son sounds like a complete waste of space, which means that you will need YOUR own space, and to be able to get away from your partner and his loser son, when the need arises. You may not be ready to end the relationship just now, but keeping it at an arm's length basis will enable you to assess further and decide what you want to do.

Jenn2016's picture

I almost wish that he had been intentionally hiding his son, because the truth is even more alarming. The truth is that he is an ostrich and had completely stuck his head in the sand. He truly believed all the things he told me. He wanted those things for his son, and he projected his desires onto the kid.

The kid is smart and was Valedictorian. However, he was in the first graduating class for this new school, so we're not talking about a lot of stufents. He likes to read and "obtain knowledge." He just apparently doesn't like school and has no career goals. Since he doesn't want a nice house and doesn't have family goals, kid sees no reason to push hard for a career. My obvious concern is that, unless oblivious dad sees the light and starts pushing for son, son will never see a need to move forward on his own. And if he does for a little while, son may realize that it's harder and will then come back to us.

Kid's mom abandoned the two of them when he was about 5. Dad then spent the rest of his life over-compensating and trying to always keep kid happy. He never took time for himself. His life was all about the kid. And now we're here. I know dad loves me, but I don't know that he's even capable of the tough love that's required to turn it around now.

I don't have any kids, but I practically raised my younger sister, who now has her masters and has started her career. My sister credits me for helping her to become an adult. He originally discounted my feelings because 1) I didn't have kids and didn't understand, 2) I didn't know what I was talking about, or 3) I was being selfish and only considering my own feelings. BUT, I raised my sister, I have a degree in psychology, AND everyone (including his mom and professionals) agrees with me. When we talk, he seems amenable when the light bulb goes off, but he has failed to execute anything that has been discussed. I don't have high hopes.

Luckyone's picture

What we have here is a failure to launch... eyeroll. Kid needs a girlfriend.

Jenn2016's picture

The kid needs a lot of things, as does his father. There is really no need to be rude with eye rolls. I was smart enough to take off the ring, postpone the wedding indefinitely, and do my own research. I came here for some friendly advice from people who might understand the situation. All of us have had issues, and many continue to have them.

Luckyone's picture

You misunderstood. I was eyerolling not at you but at the situation your fiance is putting you in. It just sucks. I think what you did was smart. I wish I had the guts to be tougher with my h about his daughter.

Jenn2016's picture

We all deserve to be happy. As 2016 closes, I am spending some time in quiet reflection. I have given him the opportunity to change, and he hasn't yet. It is his choice whether he ever does. I can't control him or his son (without his help). I have no power to fix anything with that situation on my own.

However, I do have choices. The kid is not my son, and he does not have to be a part of my life. I can choose not to take part in this enabling that will cripple him for the rest of his life. I can choose not to be with a man who instinctively puts his adult son before all else. I can choose to walk away, which I would do with my head held high. God knows I have tried, and I have done all I can do. I have no regrets.

At this point, I have already made one huge decision - I am choosing me. I have been so stressed out. This has affected my physical, mental, and emotional health. If we got married, it would also impact my financial well-being. This is going to end, one way or another. If he means it when he says he wants to work on this, he had better do it quickly. I am at the end of my rope, and I'm about to let go.

still learning's picture

I'm the mother of a son like this who is now 20. BS20 decided to live w/his father through high school since I was so mean and required him to either do a sport or have a job. Fast forward to graduation, bs20 graduated w/a blank paper instead of a diploma because he was missing a credit and his father was clueless until I pointed it out. bs20 is still living with exH, finally got his diploma, just got his liscense, still no job, no plans, no girlfriend. Plays xbox games all night, his only responsiblity is walking the dog and feeding the pets while his father is at work.

I've tried for 2 years to help him apply for a tech school, get into the military, point him to jobs, volunteer...all to no avail. His father fights me to enable him. It's so sad because his younger brother 17 (who lives with me) is ranked nationally in his sport and if off to one of the top schools in the country (full ride) after graduation.

exH has had several failed relationships, failure to launch millennial, is doing well in his own career but not allowing his son to grow up. It seems like exH needs bs20 to continue to be a child so he can have someone to control and someone that won't be able to leave him. I've disengaged from their sick dynamic. They've made it clear that this is what they both want and I can't change it.

From my perspective your fiance is not going to change anytime soon. He is ok with his son extending his adolescence indefinitely. Even if your fiance does suddenly change I can guarantee he will relapse and like an addict it will happen over and over until one or both of them hits rock bottom. Do you really want your life to be a roller coaster ride of co-dependency and enabling?

Jenn2016's picture

Your son and ex sound a lot like my so-called fiance and his son. You are probably on to something there. His fear of abandonment might be a subconscious reason to continue to keep his son dependent, especially since the son is content with the arrangement. He tells himself that he's helping, but he's hurting. Ironically, his fears are leading to a self-fulfilling prophecy as far as I am concerned.

ChiefGrownup's picture

That is a sad, sad story. I commend you for recognizing you can't fix it.

What a shame.

I suppose both ex and older son throw it in your face all the time that your younger son is "favorite" or "golden" or some stupid thing to prevent you from ever saying anything about how he (he being either x or os) could have done better.

Yes, those two are both men now and this is what they choose. You are probably spot on that x wants a person who can't leave him and this is the only recipe that's worked. I'm sure they'd both rather cut off an arm than admit you were right.

still learning's picture

"I'm sure they'd both rather cut off an arm than admit you were right."

^This exactly, and that is why I disengaged from their enmeshed dynamic. The more I pushed the worse bs20 got. We were acting out the Karpman drama triangle to a tee. BS20 was the victim, exH the rescuer, and me the persecutor. Now they have to deal with each other instead of using me as an excuse.

KatieM's picture

i have a SS who is lazy, depressed, has substance abuse issues, anger issues and is addicted to video games. This has been going on through 17 years of marriage and several years of dating before that. He's in his 30s now and as taken over a woman's house...she has moved in with her mother. He is basically out of our lives for almost a year now. Not sure if he will be back. This is the happiest Christmas season I've had in more than 18 years. I would not have chosen this for myself if I had known what a loser he would turn out to be and how much misery he'd bring. Even the US army could not turn him around. Your former fiance has no control over his son.

KatieM's picture

What I meant to add: even if his son were to join the army, attend college or get counseling, he still might not change enough for you to achieve happiness. My SS tried these things and has not changed for the better.

still learning's picture

All good points. ss31/ss26 were both in the military and BOTH of them got kicked out! ss31 ran home to daddy (before we were married) and stayed for 10 years, ss26 lives w/his inlaws for about 4 yrs now. When DH and I married I had no idea that ss31 was using the home as a flop house, just coming and going whenever his mother and friends got tired of him. For 2 1/2 yrs we fought about ss31, I was a wicked sm because I did not want to share my space w/an adult jobless stoner. It took me having one foot out the door for DH to finally tell ss no more.

cw's picture

Reading your story I have come to my conclusion that wedding should be called off. Give the fiancee a list of rules that he and his lazy son abide by. Then wait and watch and see what happens and if no progress then you gotta say goodbye. Your life I suspect will be a living hell if you don't.

ESM's picture

why are you staying?
Why are you trying to convince yourself this is ever going to change?
there are no magic fairies that are going to make everything wonderful, it will never get better, it will get worse.
Sound bitter, yes. The reality is you won't win, don't bother wasting any more time trying.

NOT Mother of the Bridezilla's picture

Thank your lucky stars that you didn't move in together prior to learning all this. I have to echo the other's sentiments in that it WILL NOT get better. You will always be the intruder into THEIR relationship. Dad will ALWAYS put son before you no matter how wrong he might be. I have learned that thinking otherwise just leaves me disappointed, and if my DH's daughter had been older and acted the way she does now when we met, I would never have moved in with him.