You are here

please advise sticky situation

dina's picture

Hello everyone I am new to this forum. My issue is with stept daughter. Before 2 years ago she was coming and going between her mothers house and ours > One day she decided to haye me and moved out to her moms, my husband was devastated, so time has go by and she has come barely only when she has fights with her mom. She totally hates me and wishes I didnt exist. In fact she said it out loud the reason she didnt live with us was because I lived there!!!!....Anyways, time passed and husband and I decided to move to a smaller place sold the house and now we live in avery tiny space. During all this time she left her mothers house and moved to her aunts, now her aunts doesnt want her overthere and her mom is actually demanding we take her over. I had years of love to this girl but I am totally over the mommy thing, my husband knows where I am, my position and so but he feels the responsibility since she is still a minor to take care of her...He wants me to let him handle the situation I am going to feel very unconfortable with this girl here and we are not in the position to take good care of her....sighs!!! please some advise how to handle myself. This girl makes trouble, her mom said she had called the police on her own daughter not long ago...please help I am dealing with a 16 yr old going to 17

Gia's picture

Wink Obviously I don't have much info in your situation. I don't know how old she was when parents split and i don't know when she met you, but i will base my opinion solely in my case. I would not want her in my house. Period. I would feel used and betrayed (by DH) if he allowed it. DH and BM split when SD was 2, so she has no memory of them ever being together. I met DH when SD was 3 and we got married when she was 4, she is now 6, I love her and she loves me. In the future if she said she hated me and left, i would not want her back, PERIOD. Not after many years of sacrifice and effort to have a good relationship. Not after years of doing everything for her (and not DH)... IF DH wanted to be with his daughter after such disrespect, and if he didn't see that she is just coming back because there is no where to go, I would MAKE him choose. Either I stay, and she doesn't, or she stays and I LEAVE... Wink No child will use me as a puppet, and I will not witness MY dh being one either.

buttercookie's picture

amen

mommylove's picture

Wow. That is a pretty strong stand. I respect that! Glad you "love" your SD - wish I loved mine. Sad

Shannon61's picture

Good grief, that is a pretty strong statement and I also agree. She sounds like trouble. You know there's a problem when your own relatives don't want you living with them. Isn't there someplace else she can go? Perhaps to a young women's shelter or something? Since there's already friction between the two of you I would be against her moving in because you know she's only going to cause more conflict.

But since DH is her last resort, it's likely that he'll push to take her in. If he does, set house rules for her to adhere to (in writing). And set a timeframe for her to move out so she doesn't get too comfortable. Do everything in your power to help her find a job so she can start saving money to get her own place. If you plan correctly, she can be in her own place at 18 . . even if you have to help her financially to keep her out of your house.

If she doesn't abide by the rules, DH should contact an agency that can provide housing for her as well as other assistance (school, counseling, etc.). Whatever happens, don't allow her foolishness to end your marriage.

Good luck.

LMR120's picture

Do you have any kids? The only thing I would suggest is how you would feel if it wasnt your SD but your Bio. The way I look at it is my BF got with me knowing that I had a daughter. She is my responsability until she is 18. Now on the other side of that ... how involved did BM keep you guys when she lived with her? The reason I ask is because BFs BM does not give him any say in what the kids do, how they are raised, what activities she plans for them. So I have pointed out to BF that one day the skids are going to be out of control and that I was not ok with her calling us however many years down the road to fix what she messed up. So if that is the situation you are in then no I would not be ok with her coming back.

Gia's picture

Same goes for my kid. If my son decides to say that he hates me and be disrespectful to me and then he wants to come back to me just because nobody else wants him, he needs to grow up. He will not be accepted in my house, not with at least MAJOR consequences. And when I say major, I MEAN major. Why do we teach these teenagers that is ok to be ungrateful and disrespectful, leave the house and come back when they feel like it. That is not preparing them for the real world, in the real world, you don't get to insult and disrespect your boss and quit, and then when you can't find another job, go back to the boss expecting to be re-hired. These generation of ungrateful kids are kids that grow up to be dependable on others, because they always assume that someone, somehow will provide the safety net, and they won't be held responsible for their own actions.

Spacehopper's picture

My SD is 14 and living with BM. I am predicting same thing will happen in a few years. I think my reaction will depend on whether or not she is pregnant.

If SD17 is NOT pregnant take her in and protect her! On the streets she will be exploited, get into the wrong crowd, drugs and boys (if she hasn't already gone through that phase).

I feel you need support, like a local teacher or mentor. This girl needs hope, guidance and love. You are NOT her mother, but you can be a support, guide and she should respect that you love her father. For me, the SM was jealous of me, but she realised that I was sticking by and supporting her dad, and also that I felt her and DH had aspects to them I both loved and found frustrating.
Does that make sense?

SD is after all made up of DH and if you try to focus on that fact, it will help. Is SD planning to go to College? How are her grades? Has she ever worked? Make sure that she has aspirations! Maybe help her to find opportunities such as working in summer camps, retail or travel?

Don't dump her on the street. You and DH are her last hope, don't let her down!

dina's picture

Hello everyone . wow thank you for the replies. I got my SD since she was 5 yrs old and for long time she was great and I loved her dearly till one day she changed. my husband feels she is under age and he has to help her at least this one time......he says he has not choice furthermore she called him this afternoon and said I dont want to move in with you dad I want to emancipate and move to a hotel.....
well my jaw dropped to the ground :jawdrop: this is just crazy and just dont know how to deal with this obviously she doesnt want to live with ME or with US in our little place and this just shows me that trouble is on its way. how do I prepare myself to this.

jokesonme's picture

I HAVE BEEN MARRIED TO MY HUSBAND FOR NIGHTEEN YEARS. MY SD WAS 3 THEN.... SWEET AND INNOCENT. THEN PROGRESSIVELY BM AND MY MIL (BOTH WANTING THE LOVE OF THIS VERY MANIPULATIVE GIRL) BRAINWASHED AND SPOILED HER. SHE IS HAREFUL, STEALS FROM OUR HOME, HURTS BOTH HER FATHER AND ME WITH HERE CUTTING WORDS. SHE WANTS NO RELATIONSHIP WITH OUR BD AGE 11 AND BS AGE 9. SHES 22 AND IS TOTALLY SCREWED UP. ON TUESDAY OF THIS WEEK IT WAS MY HUSBANDS BDAY. NO PHONE CALL WAS MADE TO HIM. THE NEXT MORNING SHE SENDS A VINDICTIVE TEXT STATING SHE HAD TRIED CALLING MY CELL AND I NEVER GAVE HIM THE PHONE. SHE IMPLIED THAT I WAS SCREENING THE PHONE CALLS. ( WE ALSO HAVE A LANDLINE PHONE THAT SHE DIDNT TRY.) I CALLED MY CELL CARRIER AND THEY CONFIRMED THAT NO INCOMING CALLS FROM HER CELL CAME THAT DAY AT ALL. SHOCKER! ANOTHER LIE. THEN SHE COMES GUNNING FOR ME STATING I AM TRYING TO KEEP HER DADDY FROM HER AND THAT I AM TRYING TO MAKE HER LOOK BAD IN THE EYES OF HER DAD. SHES A MANIPULATIVE PERSON AND I HAVE TRIED AND TRIED AND TRIED. AND AFTER ALL OF THESE YEARS OF ABUSE I AM JUST DONE. I GOOGLE DAILY HOW TO DEAL WITH LYING AND MANIPULATIVE STEPDAUGHTERS, AND I NEED A WAY TO JUST UNDERSTAND WHY AFTER ALL OF THESE YEARS SHES STILL HATEFUL

Evil step mom's picture

Hi dina,
This situation sounds similar to what my DH found himself in when his girls (my sds) were a few years younger. He tried putting them in one of the places for troubled teens to learn rules, respect, and responsiblilty (place where they have to earn absolutely everything even the privilege of calling home). Unfortunately, I don't see where this actually worked, but if she can't get emancipated (most judges want proof they can support themselves and stay in school etc.) Maybe you should consider a place like this anyway. As far as emancipation goes...one of his went to court and got it. He told the judge "I've sent her to school, I've sent her to a home, and I've sent her to jail, if she wants to play grown up then let her find out what it is really like". He had tried everything under the sun to get this child to follow rules and staying out all night with her boyfriend partying was her only priority. She even got her self permantly kicked out of school. At 15 the judge cut her loose. Now in her twenties she isn't doing much better, but there just was no way to control her, or get her to do anything she should have been doing. We are now just waiting for her to finally grow up....
If she wants to try it let her. Chances are she will make both your lives a living hell if you hold her back and if you let her try it and the judge shoots her down then hey you weren't the bad guys. I believe it does get better one day but brace yourself for what happens in the mean time. I wish you the best of luck here. Only thing I can tell you is there comes a time when you have to step back and let them make horrible mistakes. These are the I know everything years and anything you both try to tell her she won't listen to. Discuss it with your husband, if you both agree then sit her down and make it VERY clear if she gets emancipated she can not stay with you, get money, household goods, food etc. If she chooses to "play grown up" make her play by the rules. It didn't work in our case, but in some cases the child actually does have a wake up call and straighten up.