You are here

The path of healing

bedazzled's picture

The path of healing from narcisstic abuse is such an interesting path. Once you are able to recognize what has truly been going on, it really does change your world. 

I stopped blaming myself. I have stopped have any hope that these skids will ever see the light or change. They were raised in a sick environment. They were raised with emotional incest, and enmeshment. They were groomed to be narcissistic. 

The ironic part is that for us that feel into these situations, we took it upon ourselves to blame our selves. We were willing to try to change for acceptance. It didn’t matter because we were not dealing with a normal situation or normal people. 

In step situations that work you are dealing with 2 sets of non narcissistic people. The situations that most of us are in we are dealing with narcissistic individuals.

They do not change, they do not apologize, they see no wrong in themselves, they never will. 

We all read endlessly , we spend years trying t figure

out what we can do different. We blame ourselves. We look into ourselves. We try to fix the problems. We become depressed because we just want to fix the problem and have a normal happy life, just like other people.

We stumble upon ST. We start to read others stories. They sound like they are writing about our lives. Same problems, same patterns, same blaming ourselves. 

With the help of each other here in ST. We finally can see what we really are dealing with. Narcissism created by disfuntion. It was created long before we came along. 

We are the ones seeking help, trying to change, looking for answers. The narcissistic individuals don’t read book, articles, try to change, look deep into themselves, they don’t seek help. They are narcissistic. In their minds they don’t need help, they don’t need answers, they feel they have them all. They don’t feel any need to change. They see nothing wrong with themselves.

After years and years for some of us, living with so much self doubt, beating ourselves up, surrounded by individuals who are very happy to put all the blame squarely on our shoulders. Being told “to suck it up”, “just get over it”, “you are being too sensitive” “they were here first” . And many more things dumped on us. We finally find people who understand and tell us no it is not normal, it is not you. We finally figure out with the help here on ST what we are really dealing with.  Narcissistic personality’s created by sick situations that were all ready in place when we came along.

on this road to healing we can now see that our only and best option is disengagement. You can not change these people, you never will. We can work on ourselves. We now know we were dealing with an impossible situation. We stop blaming ourselves. We start standing up for ourselves, knowing no one else is going to stand up for us. We stop trying to seek approval from people not willing or capable of giving it. We can finally see the games they were playing with us, and we chose to no longer play. 

It is funny that the people who really need the help don’t seek it. They are narcissistic and will never seek it. They will never look into themselves and see any wrong. 

Here is to the finding each other here on ST. Helping each other to see the forest for the trees. Helping each other on a healing path for ourselves. Being able to see the truth of our situations. Stopping always blaming ourselves.

fairyo's picture

Your words ring out some truth for me- my path of healing has taken a great leap forward since I decided to walk away from it. Sometimes I wonder how they are all getting on- yesterday was XOSD's birthday and I had a sneaky look at her Facebook page- she's 42, which in her eyes makes her 21 twice. She bought the 21 balloon- it should have been 7 six times over. I once went to her home on her birthday and she yelled at her kids to get off 'her' balloon. Yes, she loves balloons.

For years I thought it was me, I wasn't patient enough, I was too stuck-up and judgemental, I had no sense of humour. When I found ST I realised that it wasn't me after all- lots of people have these over-entitled skids.

Then, I realised it wasn't just her, it was then DH who had made her that way, and wanted it like that. I bought books too, tried to heal the break between us, went to counselling, took him with me.

I am sure the X blames me entirely for everything, he could never see his own flaws or the flaws in his kids. After I walked out he probably scratched his head a bit, then went to work and went back on the dating sites. When his recent date embarrassed him by posting on Facebook he blamed her for being a nutjob. You are so right, it never would be him.

In the three months since I left there has been no interest in my whereabouts, my finances, my family, or the friends he pretended to call his own. He has never hinted at apologising for all he put me through.

Now, I am putting it all behind me and moving on- people are surprised to find out that I really am ok. It is only when you have looked back at that forest that you see the trees that were there so clearly all along.

Now I am more in an open meadow- there are no shadows in my life- just space and peace and lots of different paths to take...

fairyo's picture

My solution was to leave- when someone says over and over they want to leave you but does not leave, when they admit they longer have any feelings for you, when they come to counselling with you but make no attempt to move towards healing, where do you go?

I am full of admiration and respect for the many, many people on here who have stayed in their relationships/marriages despite all the pressures, and even abuse, they have endured. I had neither the strength nor the courage to do that thing. I have refused, however, to descend into the pit of self-pity, considering myself a failure, needing to find a relacement, flagellating myself over the numerous but wholly human mistakes I made when the X could not admit that he had made them too. Neither do I spend time blaming him, making myself into a victim, feeling guilt or remorse just because that is maybe how people expect me to feel.

There are a lot of references on here to do with gaslighting, as this is also a common consequence of disengagement- I can't point to specific posts but there is a search feature you could try. 

If people feel they are being gaslighted then deveoping self-confidence and calling it out when it occurs is one way to deal with it. I'm not sure there is too much you can do with narcissists though- the only advice I ever found was to stay away from them-practically impossible if you are married to one!

sandye21's picture

Most of us would leave a man who said they had no feelings for us and refused to work on healing the marriage.  The only difference between my DH, who decided to stay, and your DH who let you go was that my DH's comfort was worth it to work on the marraige. 

Have to say though, by remaining married, we both had to change a lot of things we were doing.  Today there are times when I want to complain about something but ask if it is really a hill I want to climb.  On the other hand, there ARE hills I will climb now instead of remaining silent.  Gaslighting is one of them.

So the admiration can go both ways.  You had the strength to do what was right for you.  It is obvious you are happier.