Parking

Stepdaughters hate me's picture

I get that this is a first world problem.  But here goes....

we have 5 cars driven by five different members of the household 

me 

my partner 

his oldest daughter 

his youngest daughter 

and my oldest daughter 

we have a two car garage and those are the best parking spots.   I think those spots should be mine and my partners.  My partner agrees but refuses to say anything to his kids.  I have told my daughters that the spots in front of the garage are for John and I and they can park on the side.   And my daughter does that.  His kids still continue to take the best spots every time.  

Your thoughts...:

1) let it go who cares?

2) the prime parking goes to the people who pay the bills for the house.  Mortgage etc.....

tog redux's picture

Your partner's name is in there, if you care about that.

You and your partner get the parking spots. You pay the bills.  If he won't tell his kids to move, you tell them to.  Or lock the garage and don't give them the code.

OR, if he's too wimpy to tell them, then you tell them that they can have one of the spots, first come first served, but you expect the other one to be left open for you.  If that fails, see above - no code to the garage.

tog redux's picture

OMG, yes, I just read them. OP, your DH is spineless. You come home to find them parked in the garage and having rearranged your house, and yet you stay?

I think I'd kick them all to the curb.

tog redux's picture

I really don't get that. I do get that splitting up is hard, but if DH allowed SS to treat me the way this guy allows his daughters to treat her, I'd have zero love left for him and no qualms about moving out.

So your saying parking is an issue? And u all wouldn't let kids park in the "best spots"?

Evil4's picture

What they're saying is that after reading your previous posts, parking is the least of your problems. The parking issue is only one symptom of the daily occurrences that signify a major issue: you have a spineless partner who sells you out to his precious poopsies. every damn day. 

notsurehowtodeal's picture

I can confidently say that everyone on this board thinks you and your DH should park in the garage and the kids should park outside. Yes, this is a big issue because you DH will not stand up for you and put his kids in their place.

Rags's picture

Label the spots with your name and DH's names.  Then add parking to the household behavioral standards and enforce them.  No need for your ball-less DH to do it. You do it. Have any car in the parents spots towed.  They can pay the tow and storage fees to get their cars back.

When the Skids or DH cry that your kid's cars have not been towed, point out that they do not park where they have been told not to park.

Lather.............. rinse................... repeat.

Keep it simple.

Kaylee's picture

This is a no brainer, OP.

The bill payers get to park in the garage. Bill payers.... that's you and your partner.

Everyone else parks where they're told to.

Why on earth do you put up with this crap?

This guy is wimpy and spineless, but you know that. You made several posts which have showed he allows his daughters to treat you and himself like dirt. 

I would have been long gone.

Aniki-Moderator's picture

I'm of a slightly different opinion...

By all means, YOU should have a prime spot in the garage. However, your DH doesn't seem to care where he parks, so let him take that up with his kids. 

Unless, of course, you are paying for both cars. If that's the case, you should park your carwhere you want.

Kaylee's picture

It sounds from her post that her H agrees that he and she should be the ones parking in the garage.

But refuses to speak to his daughters about it.

Aniki-Moderator's picture

Another DH who is the issue. If he won't do anything, OP should get a lock for the garage until her H parents his daughters. 

Yes. Exactly.   

Kaylee's picture

I think the OP's H is exactly like my ex. My ex was a nice guy, kind and caring and that's what attracted me in the first place.

But after a while, the attraction diminished, because I just couldn't believe the way he let mini wife/daughter walk all over him. He was too scared to speak up, put her in her place - in short, just parent her properly.

She would scream, yell, abuse him, manipulate, threaten suicide etc. Accuse him of being an uncaring, bad parent, not supporting her etc etc etc....To this day, she lives rent free in his large comfortable family home. He pays ALL the bills including her car, cellphone, health insurance, power, food - the list goes on. She has a 20 hour a week job, and spends all her money on herself - clothes, make up, hair extensions, drinking. She is almost 24 years old, and has no idea how to budget, or behave as an adult. She has never been taught those skills, never had to go out, live independently, make mistakes and learn from them - because DADDY takes care of everything, EVERY time. That is not how to raise your kids!

Regarding parking, haha. Of course, Princess has a parking spot in the double garage. Once I had gone over there, and parked in front of the garage on the side where she normally parked. She happened to be out. After a while she came back, and stormed into the house. We were in the kitchen however she didn't notice me at first because I was behind the pantry. She proceeded to scream at her dad - why is HER car in my way? Move it immediately - I want to park! She was swearing and cursing. Of course, he started placating her, saying oh I'll get the keys and move it, I won't be a minute bla bla bla...

I stepped out and said, what's your problem? It's not a big deal - park on the street until I leave. She gave me a filthy look, but said nothing and stormed upstairs and into her bedroom, slamming the door. 

I don't even know why I'm telling this story haha - maybe to illustrate that this was one of the reasons he is now my ex. LOL.

Truly my sds have come in when I was parked in front of garage and been upset "there's no parking left for me" and had hissy fits!  It's so ugly.        But I would never move my car and my partner would never move mg car to placate them.   I just wish he would step up and say "these spots are ours and kids park over there". I said it to my kids.   He agrees he needs to say it, but he can't because he knows they will freak out.    

hereiam's picture

Dear god, why is everyone so afraid of these two?

Indeed. I'm surprised OP and her husband are allowed to live there. Oh, yeah, they pay the bills.