You are here

OSD's old cycles repeating once again

Disillusioned's picture

Year's ago when DH & I had been seeing each other for a couple years, his eldest teenage daughter who was jealously insecure about his relationship with me, flipped out like a crazed person and gave DH an ultimation; her or me

DH did not bow down to her demand and made it clear that if she could not accept our relationship and chose to walk out of his life, it was her that had made this choice, but he would not be forced to choose

She did then somewhat follow through on her threat by not stepping foot in our home for years after that. We did still see her however at DH's family get together's, funny how she never missed those, and always used them as an opportunity to treat us with seething outright rudeness and hostility

She also made a point of insuring that those closest to DH, like FIL, were fully aware of everything going on in her life so that DH would always hear, second-hand of course, all the things that were happening in her life that he was no longer a part of 

Regardless, after we stopped trying to salvage the relationship with her, stopped kissing her ass and simply stopped paying attention to it all, OSD finally came around and it was as if (for a while anyway) none of it had happened

As the years have gone by she has been increasingly building up the nonsense again, her and SIL increasing using SIL's 'great relationship with BM' (post divorce from DH only of course) as a tool to diliberating and consistently stick it to DH & I every single time they see us, to alienate and try to humilate me, make me feel an outsider, and so on

So after DH finally stood up to them recently, OSD flips out on him and says she's cutting him out of her life and that of sgkids too

Same old ugly behavior and extortion rearing it's ugly head

DH was nevertheless devastated as the sgkids especially, mean so very much to him. 

However now like then, he refuses to be extorted

Fast forward to last weekend, DH phones YSD, like he often does

YSD told him she was on the phone with OSD at the time, and would talk with him later on

DH and her talk later in the evening, after she has finished talking with OSD

Now normally when YSD and DH chat, the conversations are usually about how YSD and her family are doing, how her job is going, updates her on us, etc... etc...

This time round, YSD brings up an event that OSD is apparently holding in a few months for OSGS. DH is a little taken aback becuase again OSD just made it clear he was cut of her and her family's life now...so why would YSD even bring up this event (she was fully aware of what had occurred between OSD and DH)

YSD goes to say that she is going to combine the birthday party she's holding for SGD with the event that OSD is holding for OSGS

This is even more surprising news, especially since DH & I had already planned with YSD that we would most likely be coming out west to see her for SGD's birthday

DH just brushed the whole thing off after the call and assumes we won't be a part of any of that, but that YSD and her family will come visit with us separately

To me, this is the same old games from OSD (and clearly using YSD to help her out)

I do not beleive for one minute that OSD actually wants DH out of her life or that of her children

What she wants, is to be able to make DH feel badly about the fact I'm in his life. 

She wants to damage the relationship between DH & I, and make DH feel guilty for being with me

She wants DH to allow her to play her insecure games of using the relationship that SIL has with BM to alienate me, humilate me, make me feel unwelcome and an outsider

And since DH has done the unthinkable in her world - stood up for me instead - she is having an even bigger jealous tamtrum and once again trying the old "I'll walk out of your life if you don't chose me over your wife" scenario

Now that DH has made it clear that once again, if she walks out of his life it is her decision and she chose to do it, she is in my opinion doing the same thing she did years ago - now trying to make sure DH is fully aware of all the things going on in her life/sgkids lives, that he is no longer a part of ....all because he 'chose' me of course!

So sad that she feels she needs to do this, sad that she needs to resort to it

All because she cannot get past her jealous competitiness where my relationship with DH is concerned

To me the postive in this is that she does want DH in her life still

If the pattern repeats itself she may one day come around again and give up the nasty abuse towards DH & I, but in the meantime, DH has once again decided he will simply not be a part of this, or of a life with her, until she grows up and learns to behave like a mature decent human being whether she likes me or not/accepts the relationship DH & I have or not 

2Tired4Drama's picture

Your SD may be older, but she's no wiser and still playing the same old game.  Thankfully, your DH is on to her and isn't in the game.  

What I find most disturbing is how these so-called mothers will use their children as pawns - and cheat them out of a loving relationship with their grandfather.  IMO, it's emotional child abuse.   It's so unnecessary. 

Don't these idiots realize that we are all mortal - themselves included?  Why waste precious time and energy over stupid jealousy?!   For goodness sake, OSD has her own family - can't she take pride in that?  Why try and keep meddling in her father's life and relationship.

The only answer is that it is a twisted mind which governs this kind of behavior.  

notasm3's picture

I banned SS34 and his gf totally from my life.  They are user/takers who were obsessed with using my assets.  After a ridiculous home invasion while we were on vacation I declared them dead to me. 

I did not tell DH that he could not see them.  But they were NEVER to set foot in my home ever again even if I was not home.   DH never once tried to defend the indefensible. 

They have pulled the “you can’t see your grandson” card multiple times. DH just ignores them.  That drives them crazy so they have DH over to to see GS3 hoping that he will become so attached that he will start obeying their demands. That still hasn’t worked.  DH know that I am NEVER changing my mind. 

SacrificialLamb's picture

You're lucky that your DH won't let the whiny threats of his entitled daughter manipulate him. My DH has gotten to that point, but there were several years where he did what OSD (now in her mid 40's) wanted because she knew exactly how to inflict the guilt on him.  It caused problems in our marriage and it was mission accomplished for OSD.

Of course your OSD does not want her father out of her life. She wants him to be worshipping her the way she thinks she should be worshipped and the way he probably worshipped her before you came along. She can't believe that even with the ultimate bait - the sgkids - that your DH still is not putting her first. 

She is hoping to cause fights between the two of you and that the fights will eventually split you up.  My OSD also could not believe that her father stood up for me rather than her, told him she needed counseling for it, and when he told her he did not like that she posted a pic on Facebook of BM visiting HIS family, she told him she still needed counseling and him scolding her was not helping.

But you said something that concerns me:  To me the postive in this is that she does want DH in her life still

Do NOT carry this burden on yourself. Let your DH manage his relationship with his entitled spawn on his own. You can support him and let him confide in you, but that should be it.  Because she may want DH in her life, but that is only so she can be #1. If she is not #1, DH will be punished.  And yes, your YSD and SIL are just her flying monkeys, delivering messages, gathering information and causing drama to help OSD with her righteous battle for top spot in daddy's life.

When OSD realizes that this ploy is not working, expect her to ramp up all the cute pics of the kids on Facebook hoping to convince daddy he is putting his energies in the wrong place. Then she will start the Mother Teresa Benevolence routine hoping to convince daddy that she has changed and he will forgive her. Then the whole pattern will start all over again.  So don't expect this to end. It's narcissism and a love of drama that keeps it going.

Disillusioned's picture

Wow Sacrificial, I have read and re-read your post. Really really good advice. Clearly you have been through this, and know exactly what you're talking about. 

I do not doubt for one minute that all that you have said will happen...it has in the past and yes absolutely I think OSD is already upping her tactics of how to make DH feel guilty for 'choosing' me, make him sad for all he has lost as a result, and yes definately to cause tension and trouble in our marriage to the point of permanently destroying the love and bond that we have with each other

Yes I did mention that I feel better knowing that OSD does still want DH in her life IMO, but not because I plan to be any part of that or concern myself with it, only that I think DH will also see through her tactics and know the real reason she gave him the boot was becasue of pure infantile jealousy, not because he or I did anything wrong or need to feel guilty, or anything at all but the recipients of the hateful behavior that we did not deserve 

Survivingstephell's picture

My OSD threw out the choose her or me card when she was 16.  Not much of a relationship between them now and she is 22 now.  December is roughest as that is her birthday and Christmas time.  The rest of the year she does nothing.  Looking back, there seems to be a lot of talk about that choice and checking in (or looking for reassurance) that the choice he made then still holds.  That our life, and his life is worth making that choice.   Can your DH list the ways that life is better with you than not with you?   Mine can but I always wonder if he could do that with the estranged skids.  Its one thing to do it with me but I think it would be brave of him to list those ways with the skids.  They will never give him the chance much to my frustration.  BM has brainwashed them deeply.  The are in their 20's now.  

Disillusioned, I have followed your story for a long time and have learned a lot from it.  I wish you could find peace from all of them, but when you have to interact with them throughout the year, it makes it tough.  I don't have that pressure.  OSD knows to stay away from me because I am the ONLY one who won't forget how she attacked her dad and has never apoligized, let alone take responsibilty for her actions that night.  I think my stance also comlicated things because most everyone else in the family would like to rugsweep this all and ignore it.  Not me and you sound the same.  I just want some justice, is that too much to ask?!?!  LOL  I can only control my reactions when it comes down to it.  Ignore the drama and keep your house peaceful.   That all I can do now.  

Disillusioned's picture

Thank you Surviving,

Your situation does sound a lot like mine. You're a strong person I think and good for you, these situations call for it. 

I'm glad you've been able to stand up to your SD, for what you beleive in, and have found some peace! 

Thanks for all your support!!

Disillusioned's picture

Oh and I meant to add that I can't beleive your SD said she need counceling LOl, all becuse daddy dearest didn't chose her over his wife

Seriously, I do beleive she is hurt and probably in need of counceling, if only to have an outside view show her that she needs to grow up and allow her Dad to have a life, and his happiness is not a shot at her

I wish both our SD's could understand this!

SacrificialLamb's picture

In order for the SD's to understand it, they would need to have real empathy and think about something other than their own "needs." I don't believe that will ever happen, and if they do go to counseling it would be to a counselor that supports the poor widdle children of divorce so she feels validated.