You are here

OSD not winning - detachment is a wonderful thing!

Disillusioned's picture

At DH's sisters for the Father's day family event on the weekend. Best evening of detachment yet for me! (well best would be not to attend at all, but that isn't an option for me at this time)

So when DH & I arrive and walk into the living room where everyone else is, OSD immediately begins talking to DH. She knows I'm there too, walked in right behind him, but focuses on DH completely - not so much even looks in my direction, let alone say hello.

Now in the past, her rudeness would really leave me feeling outraged. It would put me in a bad mood for the rest of the day, and DH & I would end up arguing in the car about it on the way home

Not any more, not for a long time now

Instead I sailed right on by them, walking in the direction of FIL, who was already up out of his seat rushing over to say hello, how are ya, what's new etc... Clearly happy to see me.

OSD did not get the reaction she wanted from me, in fact not only did I not let on I even noticed it, but I was immediately in an upbeat conversation with FIL who was obviously pleased I was there

I've worked hard to not react to any of OSD's tactics, but also to not let it make a dent in my mood any longer, nor stop me from having a fabulous time

Wished FIL Happy Father's Day with big hug, and since SSIL was beside FIL, wished him Happy Father's Day too. SSIL was pleased with that, big smile. Asked him how he was, what's new. Well OSD jumps in and says "Uh, nothing at all" then gives SSIL a little smirk.

SSIL did not return her smirk, but instead politely tells me that there is lots new; sold their home, moving next month and oh by the way, pregnant with their third child

I tell him congratulations with a sincere smile, that's so nice for them

OSD again didn't get the reaction she wanted, I simply have no time for her silliness, nor care at all any more about what she says, does or thinks

OSD just couldn't let that one go however, and says to me "oh I thought Dad would have told you" (DH did tell me that OSD told him about the pregnancy, but specifically told him not to say anything) then adds "I told Mom, and I told Dad, and asked Dad not to say anything, but Mom went and told everyone"....so in other words she was making sure I knew she told her parents, but step-parents weren't entitled to know of course.

Again, if she was looking for a reaction she didn't get one from me. She hasn't figured out yet that I simply don't care.

I just looked at DH and smiled, he smiled back, and neither of us said whether he told me or not

Then I happily went back to my conversation with SSIL, said that he was either going to be a father of three boys soon, or two boys and a girl. SSIL says how he is sure it will be a girl this time (This is a joke we have as last baby SSIL had me convinced it would be a girl, but it was a boy) so I joked with him that I was not debating it with him this time, as long as the baby was healthy that's all that mattered

The really nice thing about disengaging, is it may start with a conscious effort simply to not react to someone's deliberately poking you. You learn to think of them as just an unwanted person at a friend's house you were invited too, someone you are polite too but avoid as much as possible because they have mental problems, like in the area of competitiveness, jealous insecurities. But after a while, the disengaging gets to the point where not only are you making this constant effort to stay away from them, and you stop caring so much about all their little ploys and games, but, you also reach a point where you can see exactly who they are - all with calm unemotional detachment.

I see through OSD so much more clearly now, now that I've stopped taking to heart all her hostility and pettiness, and see it for it is - she has a problem, and I refuse to allow her problem to become mine any longer!

There were many, many more episodes with her that evening. But, I had a fabulous time, and completely avoided her the entire time!

notsobad's picture

Smile Blum 3 Smile Blum 3 Smile
Good for you!

I love that you and DH had a moment and SD doesn't really know if he told you or not!

sammigirl's picture

I think the key is "you don't care any longer". This is where I am with both my DH and SD with their mental games. I really don't care and am also moving forward. My grown SD tries periodically to stir it up, just as yours did here.

My SD is not allowed to come near me and that is infuriating her; because she doesn't know everything that is going on with me. I'm sure DH tells her what he wishes, but again; I don't care!!

Keep up the positive action.

Disillusioned's picture

Thanks notsobad, I sorta liked that too...DH was actually really supportive the entire evening, and that definitely helps!

Disillusioned's picture

Yes sammigirl, you've definitely got it right.

Disengaging - that conscious deliberate effort to not let someone's problem become yours is the first step I think. but when you reach the point that you actually don't care, at all, what they think of you, what they say to our about you, or anything much about what goes on in their life - well you're right, that is the key to it all

Bethany's picture

The key to it all--disengagement. I so agree. And, the not caring what they say or do. It is freeing. It's also a plus when DH supports you!

hereiam's picture

all with calm unemotional detachment.

now that I've stopped taking to heart all her hostility and pettiness, and see it for it is - she has a problem

Those things are key. It's not just about disengagement, one can disengage and still be affected, it's the indifference that saves your sanity. The unemotional detachment, the ability to NOT take it personally, to just not care anymore.

Good job!

ItsGrowingOld's picture

Hmmm.... I wonder if MIL passive/aggressively meant that your bio son or daughter would be parents soon? She's kinda evil like that, right?

Disillusioned's picture

You know the nice thing about not starting off disengaged Sally? Is that after you have spent years and years trying really hard, being fall over backwards nice, forgiving and decent to rotten people, is that when you finally decide to just stop trying there really is no guilt. No second thoughts. And no one can honestly blame you

It's very freeing to one day just stop, and carry on without a second thought, but, had I started out that way I don't think it would be any easier now

Disillusioned's picture

Wow good for you StepAside...you have been through so much with your SD's, but in the end you have won - you have more peace and happiness in your life than they ever will!

So true about their behavior being a result of low self-esteem, really I think it tends to be that way a lot in these situations sadly. Insecurities, jealousies, and the pathetic behavior that results.

The Stepmom branding thing made me laugh though Biggrin

shes driving me crazy in my retirement's picture

Great job. You just don't give a hoot about her, what she thinks, etc. any more. If she is anything at all like Twit she is going to go CRAZY because things aren't going her way.

Keep on with what you are doing.

sammigirl's picture

"shes driving me"...this is where my SD56 is now. She is going crazy, proved in a two page hate email to me, which I printed out, showed to DH, and gave a copy to my Attorney.

I am completely disengaged (7 years) and it finally got to her, when I made clear she could no longer come near me. SD is allowed to have any relationship, with anyone, but me. It's driving her crazy, because she always knew everything about my life and could stir trouble. Now I don't care what SD says or does and she is furious.

If SD makes any trouble with me in the future; I promised to slap a Court Order on her. SIL works in Law Enforcement and this will be bad for his job, to have an order against immediate family; employer won't tolerate it. SIL has been the one to stop all the games, I'm sure. He has been in Law Enforcement for over 20 years and knows the consequences. I like SIL and would never cause him his retirement; but he's not sure what I would do; therefore, it is peaceful at the time; I'm not sure how long that will last, but it's been close to six months of peace.

Disillusioned's picture

shes driving me, I read your posts about Twit and worry LOL. My SD is bad at 34, what will happen when she reaches Twit's age - probably be exactly like DH's sister who is in late 50's going on 16 haha

GottaLaugh's picture

Well done Disillusioned. I have been disengaging for about a year and it gets better and better. In the past if I had to be at an event with SD26 I absolutely dreaded it and would be full of anxiety both pre the event and during. Now I have a fabulous time. It gets to a stage where they become almost invisible. I engage with guests whom I genuinely enjoy being with, I don't think about SD, I don't look at her, I don't take an interest in what she is doing, whom she is talking to etc. Inevitably she finds herself excluded, and sometimes intrudes on a conversation I am engaged in, I then find exiting easy, I need the ladies room, I must go catch up with so and so. Disengaging has been the best thing for my mind, body and soul, I only wish I had done it a long time ago.