You are here

OMG I have no idea how to handle this rudeness!

Peaceheart's picture

I have no idea whatsoever how to handle this one!!!

Please please give me your thoughts. Step-son is 28 years old and he is always making comments as to how when his Dad dies...my husband is only 49 years old...he is going to get his (ours actually) dad's house...money....RRSP's....stuff! He said exactly this AGAIN last night! Hubby just ignores all of the comments but it just pisses me off. I have been with his Dad for 13 years now. We have our wills made out which leaves all of our 'stuff' to the survivoring spouse. His son knows this because last year we had a family reunion and hubby was reminded to wear a helmet whilst biking. My hubby said, all in good humor, of course, 'Oh it is okay cause everything is left to Linda anyway'. Well my adult SS had a melt down. Freaked out in front of everyone about this comment. I think his words were...'what the f...about me?'. As I said, SS is 28 years old and has a fabulous, high paying job. It goes without saying that I would give my SS something BUT it really really makes me mad when he says this stuff. He might just as well be saying ...Linda you mean nothing to me!

As I say, my question is, what would you say to SS when he makes such a snide comment?

Thank you ever so much.

hismineandours's picture

I would say-your dad is done raising you-he supported you for 18 (or more) years so your on your own, buddy Wink

twopines's picture

You're a LOT nicer than I am if you are going to just give SS28 something if your DH dies. Especially since he's making such rude remarks. If your DH wants to leave him money, isn't that addressed in the will?

As to what "I" would say to SS28, I honestly would just laugh and say "Oh SS28, you're so cute!" while shaking my head. They hate that.

sandye21's picture

It sounds like DH has already let him know - in front of relatives so there were witnesses. SS goes balistic becasue he knows he can not do anything. Too bad! Maybe he is TRYING to make you mad so you look bad in front of others like he does. DH needs to confront him about his behavior.

Madam Hedgehog's picture

Yeah, this is totally uncalled for. I would have a chat with your hubby and let him know how uncomfortable it makes you. Hopefully, the two of you can come up with some sort of plan. If it comes down to it, you can invite him to leave every time he starts into that nonsense. Or invite him to pay for the funeral. Ha!

Shaman29's picture

Geez....what is wrong with people? I want to smack them all for their insensitivity.

After my little brood cow of a sister finished having her kids, she started putting labels of her name on our parents things. When I called her out on it, she said she gets everything because she had all of the grandchildren (not true, but true to her).

Seriously??? I wish I was there the day she found out our parents named me executor of their respective wills. Dirol

Gigi82's picture

I agree with twopines, just laugh at him so he starts to feel foolish. Since I am only one year old than your SS I will say that this is not the norm for someone his age to act and it's ridiculous! The last thing that I think about is who get's my parents home or savings and investments when they die. I am more worried about keeping them alive for as long as I can! I encourage them to take trips and enjoy their lives, and remind them that saving massive amounts of money is not important because you can't take it with you when you go. They worked hard for their money and so did your hubby, your SS shouldn't even be feeling entitled to it. Your SS saying those cruel things to you shows that he is not only selfish and materialistic, but also that he believes you don't deserve to be the executor of the will for the man that chose to spend the rest of his life with you. Just laugh at him, he's obviously delusional!

Tx mommy of 3's picture

Next time I'd jokingly reply, "ss, the only thing you'll be getting when tour dad dies is the bill for his funeral!" then laugh. If he brings it up later, remind him that you've already informed him he is getting rhe bill! He does it to rile you up and it works. Joke about it and act like it doesn't bother you.

AVR1962's picture

Really? This is bizzare! I would say there are some very hurt feelings there. I am guessing stepson thought he was to inherit all this and in the back of his head maybe he thinks he has that entitlement. Wow, I would be be upset and want all of this to stop too. Has your husband ever thought of asking him one on one what his thought behind the comments are all about?

Peaceheart's picture

Hubby just ignores all of the comments, so I am not sure whether I should also just ignore it all too? Maybe I am just coming from a ego based place and should just let it run off of my back but I am finding it very very hard to continue to endure this rudeness with a smile on my face. If I comment, is it just going to sound as though I am being just as greedy and immature? Boy...I REALLY do want to though.

Shannon61's picture

Your SS is a arrogant jerk and this is all about entitlement. His rudeness is beyond belief and until somebody . . you or DH sets him straight he'll continue to be the jerk that he is. If I were in your shoes, I'd encourage DH to not only discuss the will, but discuss how his rudeness is not appropriate nor will it be tolerated going forward. He needs to learn respect and how to keep his mouth shut.

Not sure why parents refuse to chastise adult children. Therein lies the problem. They basically get the green light to act like jerks when they know no one is going to call them out on it. It's time to set him straight once and for all so this will be a none issue.

Good luck.

Abalyn's picture

I would look at him calmly and say "Wow SS, when you finally succeed in growing up, the memory of this moment is going to REALLY be embarassing... you may even be as embarassed then as your father is now"

Then I'd spit in his drink. Ok, I kid about that. Smile

donna123's picture

These adult kids are bizarre. SS really does think your money is his money and often dads promise just this in the throes of divorce. Hopefully there never is a next time, but I bet you there will be. When his short fuse is lit again and he explodes just ask SS this “Is your wife going to leave her money to her parents, or her siblings when she dies? They were there first after all, and blood is thicker than water, and you aren’t blood.” If he doesn’t have a wife, think of some other comparison.

After saying that and before SS goes ballistic on you, one second of fearful emotion (how dare you say my wife is going to die, how dare you say where my money goes, etc. etc.) will pass over his eyes before he resumes his hypnotic and abusive diatribe. You will have struck a nerve but it won’t stop him because he is out of control and will destroy anyone and anything in the path of what he believes is his fortune ie: your money. Believe me, if SS sees you as standing in the way of “his” money (which clearly he does), you are the enemy.

I’m sure your DH knows that SS goes berserk when discussing inheritances so why does he turn on lunatic mode to begin with if not to express his anger at both of you indirectly?

irritatedgal's picture

I'd repeat a bunch of previous comments he's made previously and then say "is all you care about is cashing in on your dad, you selfish little shit? I'll tell you what YOU'll get. You'll get the funeral bill and a kick in the ass."

oneoffour's picture

" Ah but not if you die first." Smile and keep sharpening a knife or slicing a squishy tomato.

I would tell the ingrate that up until this moment he would have inherited something. But now, him wishing his father dead puts a rather nasty edge on things and the Humane Society sounds less stressful for everyone concerned. Then the 2 of you won't have to worry about an untimely end.

herewegoagain's picture

PS be happy your DH can leae everything to you...where I live, I will have to buy-out crazy loser on "her" part of our house or be homeless if I ca't afford to buy her out...sigh...I need to move!!!

I would tell him..."that's great...since you are looking forward to the money, I'll make sure to call you so that you can be his full-time nurse if he ever gets sick...and by the way, I'll send you the bill for the funeral too"

irritatedgal's picture

I'd just find out what nurses make-add a hefty charge for him being a jerk, then add the total to the funeral bill.

Peaceheart's picture

Thank you all so very much for your ideas and comments. Adult SS is coming to visit for the weekend. I will bet my bottom dollar, that he makes some sort of comment regarding our house/money/STUFF. I shall keep you informed on how I handled it and if it worked. lol

Thanks