You are here

Not included in "Family" pictures

Mindygirl1's picture

The hubby and I took our blended family - total of 12 people out to dinner last week. Step Daughter suggested we go to her favorite Japanese steak house...Of course at the end of the meal ONLY my children offered to chip in on a $400.00 dinner. I felt if no one else offered why should my kids have to. The money is not the issue..what happened next was... As we exited the restaurant my step daughter in law came over to my hubby and said "Oh my goodness we need to get photos of you with the 3 grandkids for our family album"... I stood there speechless at the fact they did not include me. I just bought them an expensive meal and they did not ask me to be in a family picture. My hubby said I was being too sensitive..However, I don't think I was. I felt it was rude all the way around. However, when I pointed out that I have never been in a family picture in 9 years he got quiet. I let him know that I felt he was rude too not to have noticed and said come on over here and get in these pictures... I can guarantee one thing... I won't be buying anymore expensive dinners. I think I won on this issue... Sometimes you have to get your feeling hurt to realize a valuable life lesson...

Mindygirl1's picture

I am learning to not get hurt...but rather see the humor in the situations as they come up. GET EVEN....you betcha... The next time the SKIDs invite themselves to an expensive family dinner I will be stating loudly right up front - all parties pay for their own meals. That will solve the problem...they won't even go. Yes...get even is so nice...

Mindygirl1's picture

I sepnt a long time wanting to be included in my hubbys family. I have come to realize they don't like me...don't need a reason as they make them up as they go. They are mean people and really who cares.. I can be nice when I see them. But I never, ever forget that I am glad I am not part of them.

twopines's picture

Yes, lesson learned the hard way. By the same token, they should have no problem being excluded from future "family" things.

Miss-Step's picture

You DH was dead wrong to even step into that pictue without you. He should have just grabbed your hand and pulled you into the picture and said "We'd LOVE to have our picture taken with the grandkids." Another scared little man afraid to stand up to his kids. I'm sorry from your hurt. It was rude all the way around.

Mindygirl1's picture

Hubby is usually so good about standing up for me... He went brain dead on this one and got an earfull about it. He won't do this again...LOL

starfish's picture

i see this a bit differently, i wouldn't invite them to big expensive dinners, i would advise them that you are having one, when & where. and when they do come expecting a free ride, ask the waiter for separate checks made for them.

as far as the photo, been on that rude ride. fuck it, you don't want to be in their album anyway. and any copies sent to you, i mean dh ~ TRASH THEM! there is not one single pic of skids displayed in my home and i don't foresee any grandskid pics either

Mindygirl1's picture

I told hubby that in the future it will be announced UP FRONT whether or not we will be paying for the meal. Guarantee that means we won't see them much anymore. Who cares.... problem solved..

chickadee1444's picture

Your husband should have said "my wife is family too" he is like my husband and doesn't want to rock the boat...someone might get upset, but it doesn't matter if it's thier wives who get upset..men are cowards...my husbands thinks I am too sesitive also..it's crap..you were hurt, you should be very upset.

Serena's picture

Pretty rude.The lack of offering to contribute and the pics.I'd not buy them another either.I agree with what twopines said too.They probably see it as your DH bought the dinner and not a thought to your contribution.Typical and yes life is too short to keep trying to be nice to and do things for people who won't return the effort.

My hubby said I was being too sensitive..I know the feeling.

BSgoinon's picture

I think I would have questioned why SHE was in the photo if it was "family". Apparently MARRIAGE doesn't make you family in her eyes.

Mindygirl1's picture

I think I would get such a laugh out of the looks of horror on their faces if I said "We paid last time - you pay this time"... OMG what fun that would be...

lucy51's picture

My husband's children have never offered to contribute to meals except that SS will do the dishes. SD is total princess. I'll never forget how upset I was at SD's wedding. I was not yet married, but we planned to marry the following year, and did. They did not include me in any of the wedding pictures. The BM and former SM yelled at my husband to join them. Everyone excluded me. So rude. I should have known then!

Mindygirl1's picture

You know you really have to go out of ones ways to UN-INCLUDE someone from things like this - ya know??? I have learned thoughts actually go into hurting other peoples feelings. I don't understand this as I NEVER try to hurt someone. I actually go out of my way to make sure no one is excluded or hurt. It never ceases to amaze me at how unkind others can be. I have often wondered how good it would feel to just walk up to some of ny hubbys family and just slap the shiot out of them and say "what the hell is the matter with you"... That is the reason why I do not drink around them. Lord help me if I was to get drunk and tell them what I really thought. What fun that would be.

marblefawn's picture

I was married to my husband for nearly a decade when SD got married. I did all the flowers, invitations, signage and...SHE WAS A BRIDESMAID IN MY WEDDING...and I wasn't asked to be in a single picture on her wedding day.

I was just the help.

ldvilen's picture

Too few people know the difference between being parents and being married. No married couple should ever have to have anyone else's permission to be and act like a married couple. I know I took the same vows as every other married couple when I married my husband. There was nothing in there about accepting my marriage as an inferior or lesser one just because my husband had children from a previous relationship. And, there was nothing in the vows at all about stepping aside from my DH when any calls went out for “family” pictures or seating, etc.

What the OP should have done is gone and gotten her camera, and then asked SD-IL in take pictures of her and SS and DH and the kids. Then, she should have thanked SD-IL, and posted the pictures wherever she wanted. My guess is, SD-IL would have probably more than felt offended. If she’s somewhat smart, she’ll get the message. If not, she’ll go around complaining to everyone what an Evil SM you were, despite the fact that you treated her comparatively to how you had been.

Anyone who thinks it is okay to exclude SM from family pictures or family events or otherwise somehow separate a married couple or long-term SOs without their permissions, needs to have his/her head examined. This is the year 2018 and not 1918 and certainly not 1818. Just because mom and dad or mom-in-law and dad-in-law divorced, it doesn’t give anyone, and I mean anyone, the right to deny or turn a blind eye to fact that dad or mom is now married/ joined at the hip to someone else.

Stepaside-1987's picture

I am always excluded.  I am never thanked for gifts etc. Recently his granddaughter is doing a fund raiser and he was going to send money to her from the both of us.  I told him - no not this time.  It would mean more to just come from him.  I am not playing the f(*king game anymore.  He has tried so hard to include me but the message that is constantly sent from the kids is I am an "outsider".  What that means for me now is ... I don't have to buy the gifts, cards, remember birthdays, etc.  It is all on him.  Of course if he forgets I am sure they will blame me but I have learned that being a stepmother sucks and you are damned if you do and damned if you don't.  

Stepaside-1987's picture

I have one that will visit and even photos that are from our home she will tag the BM and her father.  Never a mention of me.  Hurts but my husband at this time still at times I feel enables her.  However, I don't have to play her game and I won't.  The next time she does visit - I believe I may be "busy". 

knucklehead's picture

Question for the flip side that comes up often on here:

Is it wrong for SM to NOT be in the "family" picture?
If so, is it wrong for skids to be in SM's "family" pictures?

People on here say ALL.THE.TIME that skids do not need to be in family photos. It seems interesting that the SM should be included, though. It isn't a one way street.

BTW, my personal feeling is that family photos should include all of the family. I have included skids in mine. I feel it would be hypocritical to say "no skids" in MY pics, but then get butthurt if I'm not invited to be in theirs.

BSgoinon's picture

I dunno. We have always included EVERYONE in our family pics. Step, adopted, in law. It's all family.

knucklehead's picture

See, and that's where I come from.
I always get flamed for saying the skids should be included in family pics because they're not the SM's "family." (Although they really are, whether it's admitted to or not.)

BSgoinon's picture

Well... then I guess I will get flamed too. Family is family as far as I am concerned. I don't always like my sister but she is in every picture too Wink I hated my first stepmom, and there she was... in every picture. LOL, she was with my dad, she was family.

Mindygirl1's picture

You make a good point. When we take pics at family events I always include everyone. That way you have a good memory of the day. My skids will go out of their way to make sure they only take pics of those they want - their immediate family. They willactually ask one of my kids to get up and out of the way. LOL I am not kidding. I can assure you they don't have one picture of their step siblings in the full 9 years they all have been together. I am to the point now that keeping the families separate is OK with me. Everyone gets along when we are together... so for that I am thankful...

Stepaside-1987's picture

I just recently told my husband I don't give a damn if his kids and mine ever blend..  As far as I am concerned - despite how hard I tried - it is his family and mine and it will never be "ours".

Poodle's picture

See thing was, this was not just a deliberate exclusion of some members of a family. It was really tasteless and trashy behaviour to single out any particular subgroup for special little exclusive photo-session on their own. It was rude to everyone else, not just you. I recently went to a gathering of a colleague who invited a group of girlfriends out for her 40th in a big restaurant. There was food, dancing etc. Then people got out their cells to take photos to remember the occasion. Different groups of women gathered around the birthday girl to celebrate, people who were friends, people who had only just met... there was every combination, cuddling and grinning. Then these pics were circulated in the following days. This is how photos are typically taken at big meals and parties out. For someone to take aside a little family group and use the occasion for their own selfish purposes, is just... plain... rude and cheap. :sick:
I guess if you go out with these people again and anything like this threatens to be re-enacted, you or preferably DH jumps up with a big camera and starts taking huge group photos of everyone, even positioning them in different groups, bustling around in the role as host. That way you could deflate their crap and reduce them to the scuttling little insects they would seem to want to be.

Mindygirl1's picture

LOL...my grandma used to refer to the vapours...You gave me a good memory....

hippiegirl's picture

Mindy, I'm the opposite...I get asked to be in family pics, and I decline. They're not my family. Their DH's family.

jennaspace's picture

Totally agree. Why pay good $ to be treated like you don't exist when you can get it for free?

sandye21's picture

I agree that DH should have grabbed your hand and pulled you into the picture. Next dinner with SDs, when the bill is presented say, "Did you pay last time or did we? Oh yes, we did so I guess it's your turn."

Texas_Pete's picture

If you've never been in their picture theres a good chance you wont be unless something is said,, im glad you stood up for yourself.. Something similar happened to me on "our first Christmas",, I had to say something too so I wouldnt feel like an outsider.. The kicker is I dont think most people do it on purpose,, its just old habits and traditions existed long before we did..

Not-the-mom's picture

Gee, I don't even care if I am in the wedding/family photos, but the skids keep having me in them. Go figure.

I think your hubby should have said, sure "WE ALL" or "BOTH OF US" would love to be in pictures with the the grandkids.

You blew it on that one hubby! Sad Try again.

cpreston's picture

Holy Shit this is like dejavu all over again for me!

Like the time Me DH, Stepson, StepDaughter, and my two biokids were at a super bowl party, that happened to coincide with Stepdaughter’s birthday. My younger kid was about 7 years old… the step-son says to his Uncle, “can you take a picture of the family?” and the three of them gather together, my kid (mind you she was 7 years old at the time) ran over to be in the ‘family’ picture and the asshole had the stones to say “sorry, J, I just want MY family in this picture”

Didn’t care that DH apologized, the asshole son didn’t!

And don’t get me started on the “big dinner” thing… the same leech job step son of mine has NEVER reached into his pocket for a big dinner out!

Last year, we had eight of us out to dinner on vacation… my step-daughter, handed my husband a hundred bucks and, then my step-son actually had the nerve to get MAD because she chipped in for dinner! Because she was “making him look bad” (no honey, she’s got nothing to do with that, you did that all on your own)
He conveniently left his wallet back at the house… (ha, not so convenient, because they wouldn’t let him order any booze without his ID! Hahah)

Countrygirl1968's picture

I know just how you feel! I do agree that the father should say something because not saying something shows acceptance to the action. Have you addressed it with her? I did with mine and nothing has changed. She did take two pictures of me with the grandbaby and her father but I believe that was to make her look like she is this innocent person. BS!!!!!